February Consequences

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Taking another sip, Dr Gwen looked at her notes. "Your parents have never liked her. You are aware of this, yet you have chosen to be her friend. It's my understanding that she shoplifted in 10th grade and got caught. You were detained with her at mall security until your father got you out. It is my understanding that when you got asked on dates and Dee didn't, she would plan activities that you liked so you would cancel dates. She would always date the same boys that you did and break you up. By date, I mean sex the boys. She drove your car while intoxicated and crashed it into a tree in senior year. I have quite the list of items here. Your father was so excited when she didn't go to college with you. I want you understand that you need to reflect on your relationship with Dee. You are her friend, but she is not your friend. Take a moment to reflect on this."

Dr Gwen left the room, and came back a few minutes later.

Linda tried to not believe what the good doctor has presented to her, but deep inside she knew that Dr Gwen was right. Jim had always said that Dee was a terrible person, but she wouldn't believe him. She thought how she was happier when Dee wasn't around during those college years. When they ran into each other shopping, Dee couldn't wait to get involved in Linda's life. Taking over where they went, what they did, who they saw. Even getting Linda to come to work with her at the company. Introducing her to Trisha, who was her friend. Trisha looked out for her. Gave her little gifts because she was thinking about her.

It was like a light had been shown on their one sided relationship.

Dr Gwen reentered the room. "What have you been thinking about?"

"A lot. I never really thought about it before. People always told me that Dee wanted to be me. I think Jim was right. He always been right about her." A tear left her right eye. She leaned forward and started to cry. An ocean of guilt washed over her in a second. All the lies, sneaking around, the magnitude of horrible things that Dee did, and the fact that so many times, she had helped Dee do those horrible things.

It took a couple of minutes for her to compose herself.

"It is fine to do that here." Dr Gwen smiled. "What was Jim always right about, Dee?"

"That she couldn't be me, so she wanted to make me her."

"How does that make you feel?"

"Scared because I only now realize that. She may have cost me my family. How could I have been so stupid?"

"Young lady, there are more people than you would believe that get brainwashed by people who influence their lives. You can get past this. Your eyes are open to her now."

Dr Gwen showed her to the door. "Let's get together Monday. Same time."

As she entered the waiting room, her father handed her phone to her. "There's a message for you."

Pressing the message icon, she saw a message from Jim. She clicked the message and saw a picture of Jim, Emma, and Tommy with Minnie Mouse. She cried.

Jeff, as a father didn't want his daughter to cry, but he understood what this meant. She had finally had the breakthrough that he and Rebecca had hoped for. He drove home in silence and let her cry. He wished that he could hold her and make the pain go away, but she had to bare this demon on her own.

Rebecca spent the evening with her daughter, staying on the bed with her holding her adult child as she slept. They shared many heartfelt moments as she cried and they talked about what had happened, and what she should do about it.

Rebecca called Trisha the next morning and called Linda in sick. As a good friend, Trisha was pleased that Linda had a breakthrough.

When Linda woke up, she found her car keys on her nightstand. A smile crossed her lips as she realized that her father knew she was on a road to recovery. She panicked when she saw the time. Trisha would be mad at her.

"I called you in. Go back to bed, you need the rest. I'll wake you in a couple hours. You have to get you groomed because your family is coming home today."

"I'm not a dog, mom."

"Couldn't tell by the way you look." She closed the door, and Linda tried to sleep. She ended up laying there rehearsing over and over again what she wanted to say to Jim. She had so much to make up for.

Rebecca knew that Jeff would have a fit when he found out what she spent on Linda that day. But as a mother, she was so excited to do something like this for her daughter. Her hair styled, nails manicured, a new perfume, and an outfit that said 'hello, I'm Linda.'.

************

It was almost five pm when Jeff pulled in. He rushed inside to see if they had arrived. He relaxed when he found that Jim and the kids weren't there yet. He wanted to get his front row seat. Rebecca wouldn't even let Jeff see Linda, it was a surprise for everyone.

It was near six pm when the knock came to the door.

Rebecca went to open the door.

Two whirling tornado children burst through the door hugging their grandmother. She looked up at Jim. He was holding take out bags from chinese, italian, and fried chicken restaurants.

"Hope you're hungry."

Hugging and holding her two two squirming grandchildren, she smiled at Jim. "You know Jeff can always eat."

Jeff got up to meet his son-in-law at the door. "Good to see you, son. Let me help you with these bags."

As they walked toward the kitchen, Linda waits in the kitchen with anticipation. Her heart fluttered as she listened to their footfall as the old hardwood squeaked . When Jim stepped into the kitchen, her heart skipped a beat. He looked so good. Trisha was right ,she had gotten used to Jim, and had forgotten how handsome and trim that he is. She smiled her best smile for him as he sat the bags of food down on the tabletop and moved toward her standing behind the kitchen table.

As Jim entered the kitchen walking behind Jeff, she was slightly out of his view. His father-in-law stepped aside so he could place the take-out bags on the table, there she was.

She took his breath away. She was perfect, she was beautiful. This moment would be pictured in his mind for the rest of his lifetime. She stood timidly with her arms across her body, hand holding hand below her waist. She was wearing a light blue sundress with small yellow and red flowers. A white sweater covering her arms. A brown curl of hair that kept falling across her forehead. Her makeup very casual. Wholesome. Perfection.

He gave her his best smile as he came around the table to greet her.

Jim took her hands in his, and held them tight. "You're beautiful."

She tilted her face shyly. "Thank you. You look great too, Jim."

He took his right hand, and lifted her chin. Jim lowered his face to hers, and gave Linda a light kiss on her lips. "I've have missed you so much."

She responded immediately with, "I missed you, too. Jim, I love you so much."

He brought her into himself with a deep hug. The kind of hug where you never want to let go. He held her so tight. He knew he missed her, but until this moment he didn't know how much.

Linda's eyes teared up as Jim held her. It was like they had never been apart. She felt so safe, and secure in his arms. His strength was her strength.

She knew in this moment that she never wanted to be apart again. The realization of what she had become will haunt her for years to come. She had been so foolish.

Rebecca and Jeff watched and smiled at each other as witnesses to this moment. A reuniting of a loving couple. Rebecca had come and stood in front of Jeff and he placed his arms around her holding her with love and affection. Jeff broke this silence. "Do you need a room? Motel 6 is down the road a piece."

Rebecca elbowed her husband. "Let's eat before this gets any colder."

Her parent's started opening the take-out bags, setting the food boxes around the table. Rebecca got plates and cups and handed them to Jeff , who set the table.

Jim and Linda watched the activity. Her parent's smiling at each other while the sounds of two children chasing each other nosily around the house.

She turned to Jim. "I need to say something to you. I was foolish, and .."

Jim put his right index finger on her lips. "Later, let's just enjoy this moment. Let's talk later."

The family enjoyed each others company, as the children told tales of Disney, and the adults made small talk. Jim and Linda kept holding hands below the table when in between bites. Each felt the connection, and didn't want it to end.

Jim, as always, helped clear the table. When the kitchen was cleaned and the dishes washed, he asked Rebecca to watch the kids for a little while. He walked over to Linda, and took her hand. "Let's go get a cup of coffee, and a piece of cheesecake."

It was a short drive from her parent's house to the local Java Joint. Jim held the door for Linda, and she smiled at his gentlemen ways. He held her as he stood behind her, holding her tightly. Jim ordered coffee black, and Linda surprised him by not ordering a latte, but instead ordered a green tea. She selected a slice of turtle cheesecake for them to share.

They held hands as they ate. Jim fed Linda bites, and she fed him as well.

She was apprehensive to say the things that she needed to say in a public place. At her parent's house, she could have said everything she wanted to say with a strength that comes from being there and feeling safe, but here with strangers at other tables. she didn't know if she could.

Jim sensed this. "I know that you want to say something. We can talk now, if you like."

"Jim, I love you, really love you, but I can't with these people here around us. I know I need to say things that you need to hear so I can know if we have any future left together."

Jim stood up, and put his hand out for hers. "It's a nice evening for a stroll."

Java Joint was in an renovated area of the old downtown, before the city grew and absorbed it. The street was lined with small shops and businesses. People milled around, coming and going from shops. They strolled along the sidewalk. In an embrace where he held her tight as she snuggled against him. They came to a bench facing a church across the street where children played supervised nighttime basketball game on the playground.

"Let's sit and talk."

They sat on the bench facing each and held hands.

Linda started first. "I am so sorry for what I did. I disrespected you, and our marriage. I was living two lives. It was wrong. If you hadn't been there, I would have cheated on us that night. I was foolish, and I let Dee drive a wedge between us. When you beat him up, I was scared that I was next. I had never seen you like that. In hindsight, I am proud that you would defend my honor that way even though I acted without honor. I let Dee brainwash me with stories of her numerous affairs and how it made her marriage better. Now, I understand that is BS."

He smiled as she continued. "I don't understand why she wanted to change me into a copy of her. Why it was important for me to be slutty and wild? I will admit that it is addictive. I was addicted to that wild lifestyle. I couldn't wait for my weekly fix. Now, I am ashamed that people saw me acting like that. Mom always told me that people see you in public and you never see them, but they see you, and when you don't act right, then that's how bad rumors start."

She looked down away from Jim's eyes. "I am so ashamed. How many people saw me acting like that, and I didn't know."

He squeezed her hands to comfort her. She looked into his eyes. "I understand that you won't trust me for a while, but do you think in your heart that you can ever forgive me?"

He leaned for a kiss. "I did that weeks ago." He smiled. "I forgive you."

He kissed the girl.

As they parted their kiss, "I will be try to earn your trust again, I promise."

He nodded his approval. "I promise that I will try to trust you from this moment forward, but there's going to be times when I may not be able to."

She teared up. "I've learned a lot about myself this week, and I will try to not put myself in any situations where you will doubt my trust."

"We should head back, the kids will need to be put to bed soon." Jim stood up and reached for Linda's hands.

As Jim and Linda began to walk back towards Jim's truck. "Jim, I am scared about the future. How can you forgive me so easily?"

Holding her hand. "I had help from Dr Franklin. He helped me realize that I cared more for you than my anger allowed me to see. He could see what I couldn't see. That you are the love of my life, and mother of my children. Regardless of what was to happen between us, we share a bond that can never be broken. I knew you were a good wife and mother for almost ten years, and he pointed that out to me. That's why I keep bringing the kids by to see you."

"Thank you for doing that. It helped me without me realizing it. I was able to feel their love even when I couldn't feel yours."

As he opened the truck door for her, he continued. "One day, I ask Dr Franklin, how do I get past what happened and trust you again? He looked at me, and simply ask me, 'did she have lovers before you?'. I said yes. How did you get past those lovers to begin your life together? I couldn't answer him. I didn't know. He pointed out to me that I had categorized those lovers to a file called 'the past', and then forgot about them. I moved forward with you, giving you a hundred percent of my trust."

"Until you started the "Girl's Nights. and after the first couple of weeks, I realized that my trust was slowing diminishing each week. When we were together as a couple, I departmentalized your nights out, and I didn't think about them until the next week, when you would come home smelling of booze, smoke, and men's cologne."

She had never thought about what she smelled like when she came home. It was always a alcohol induced dream world. She had wondered if he knew she was behaving badly. Obviously, he did.

As he prepared to close the truck door. "I may be wrong, but I feel that I can move forward from this moment, right now, with you. I will not dwell on what led us here, but going forward, I want NO Girls' Night at bars, NO alcohol in our home, and you must make a choice to be with the kids and I, not your friends. I will not tolerate being third. For over a year, you have put your friends needs first, the kids a far second, and me a farther third. If you can abide by my wishes, then I will make my best attempt to put this behind us."

Jim felt he knew her answer, but he wanted to hear it, needed to hear it. "Can you do this?"

This was an emotional evening. Tears welled in her eyes, "Yes, I can do that."

She pulled Jim into the truck's passenger seat and kissed him lightly, as if she completed a new contract.

As they drove back to her parent's, they held hands, but didn't speak. Each locked within their minds. Each fixated on what the future would mean to each of them. Jim had plans for their future. He felt better knowing that Linda would be a part of those plans.

While Linda wrestled with self-doubt if she could be trustworthy. She felt she would be, but what if she couldn't?

They entered the house, and found Jeff and Rebecca pausing the show that they were watching. Rebecca told them, "We put the kids to bed already, so Jim, you can stay the night here if you like." She smiled and Jeff winked.

"That would be nice, but I should probably sleep on the couch."

While Linda went to the washroom, he looked outside at the patio. He saw the glowing embers of the fire pit, and he went outside. As he sat beside the warm heat that fought off the cooling night temperatures. It was spring during the day, and autumn at night. He watched Linda come outside to join him.

As she pulled a chair beside him, she sat and took his hand. "I know that I have no right to ask what you did or who you saw while we've been apart, but can you give up the women that you've been seeing?"

He squeezed her hand. "I haven't been 'seeing' any women. You know that I am not that kind of guy." He grinned. "I have had business meetings with women. Some were potential hires and some were clients. I haven't dated anyone."

"What about this Carolyn woman that Dee saw you with?" She asks him. Doubt and fear wrestled within her. "I overheard her conversation with Dee because she had me on the phone, and that woman said that she wanted you, and she was going to get you." Anger swelled within. "Can you give her up?" She paused, "Can you?"

He answered. "You will have to trust me on this. I want you to know that I do have to meet her tomorrow, and give her my answer."

"Is she, your meeting, that you came back for?"

"No, but she does need my answer concerning our relationship."

"Relationship?!" Linda burst into tears, and ran into the house. She slammed her bedroom door.

Jim smiled as he knocked on the door. "Go away!" came through the door.

He tried the door, and it was unlocked. He opened it to find Linda crying on her bed. He came over and lied beside her, and pulled her close to hold her tight.

"Carolyn is not a threat to you, but tonight with you has been the best night that I could have ever wanted. Us as a family eating dinner together, then strolling with you. Holding your hands in mine. Kissing you, I felt that my best friend was back. I Love you, Linda."

Her face pressed against his chest. "Promise me that you won't leave me for her."

"I won't." He held her tight and raised her face for a gentle kiss.

Jim held her while she went to sleep. He got up, and pulled her shoes off. Pulling back the covers, he slid her over and covered her gently. He kicked his shoes off, and laid back down beside Linda, and held her while he drifted off to sleep.

He arose at a little after 7 am. He went to the en suite, and used her toothbrush and toothpaste. He checked on Linda, and she was still sleeping.

Jim entered the kitchen to the smell of fresh coffee. Her parents sat at the kitchen table, drinking coffee, and looking at the newspaper. It was their routine. Jeff looked up at Jim, and smiled. "Were your intentions honorable?"

"Of course, sir." They both laughed.

"I need you to help me with a few things this morning. I want to thank you for everything that you have done for Linda, and for being there for me as well."

They smiled and nodded.

"This morning, I have a couple of loose ends to tie up, but I want to have everyone over this afternoon for burgers, if that's alright?" He paused. "I want there to be no doubt that Linda and I are back together."

Rebecca smiled, and Jeff nudged her. It was obvious that they were onboard.

"Don't buy anything, I'll bring it back with me." Jim left the kitchen headed to the door.

Her parents heard the door closed as Jim left. Rebecca heard movement expecting hungry grandchildren, she looked up and saw Linda heading out the door with her car-keys swinging in her hand.

Linda followed Jim. It wasn't that she didn't trust him, he was her husband and she wanted to watch him break it off with Carolyn.

His first stop was their house. He was inside for nearly an hour, when he came out with a couple of carry-on bags. He placed them behind the front seat of his truck, and drove off. She continued to follow him.

His second stop was at the Java Joint they visited last night. She backed into a parking place so she could watch.

A few minutes later, Jim took a window seat. He had a muffin and two coffee cups. Two coffee cups?

Linda almost dozed off when she looked up and saw a pretty young brunette sitting with Jim. She was drinking the second cup of coffee that he had bought. They seemed to be enjoying each other's company. Laughing and touching hands. The woman stood up, and Jim stood as well. The young woman hugged Jim and kissed his cheek. She watched her leave with the biggest smile on her face. Who was this woman?