February Really, Really Sucks

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When they arrived at the interrogation room Andy had Lana enter first. He knew that Rockwood would think he could manipulate the female either with charm or intimidation. He did it simply to throw Rockwood off his game when he entered guns a blazing. Rockwood tried the charm route and was laying on thick when Andy entered the room. Rockwood recognized him from the marks room and remembered how hard nosed he was. Andy sat in front of Rockwood and met his eyes with a steeled expression and just stared.

After several minutes of silence Andy took the file he held in his hand and quickly threw it on the table which startled both the suspect and his partner. When he finally spoke, he did it in a soft yet authoritative voice as he said, "Alright Rockwood I'm not going to beat around the bush. I've got you cold on attempted murder for hire. You're going to prison the only thing yet to be decided is where and for low long."

Rockwood stared and stayed silent. He contemplated what to do as he knew he was in deep and no matter who his boss knew or how much money he threw at it he was a lost cause. He thought that he should have never agreed to try and clean up after LaValliere this time around. Mr. Landagrew wanted Andrews scared but LaValliere wanted him dead. Yet, LaValliere lied to him about Andrews' involvement with the police as he believed LaValliere had bought up any evidence and bought off all the witnesses to the hit and run. He listened as Peters continued.

"So, this is a one time offer valid only thirty seconds after I make it. Whether you take or not matters little to me. However, you have a family to think of. Your wife and two small children. If you cooperate and agree to testify to Marc LaValliere's role in hiring you to kill Jim Andrews I'll get the D.A. to agree to allow you to plead guilty and suggest a sentence of only five years with possibility of parole. You serve perhaps two, two and a half years with good behavior. Tie your boss Augustus Landagrew or any member of the football operations to this plot and I'll see you get only six months. You're on the clock. Detective Deveraux count down thirty seconds."

Rockwood knew his boss would take care of his family while he was in stir and his job would be there when he got out if he kept him and the team out of it. Besides when he told his side of the story, he would spin it saying LaValliere had lied to him and told him he okayed the hit on Andrews and his text that said 'do it' would back his story. He heard Deveraux say ten, nine... "Okay, deal! Just get it in writing before I say another fucking word." Andy and Lana left him in the room with a pad and told him to write it up. Andy called the D.A. and laid out the case. D.A. John Landis smelled the governorship coming his way and said, "Deal. I've got Kelli Smythe in your building. She'll have it written up and in front of Rockwood immediately. Don't let anyone near him until we get the confession taped and in writing!"

Andy told him, "He's writing it as we speak. John, I need another favor. We need to charge the wife Linda Andrews and make sure she does some time for her involvement in this mess."

"Andy, give me a case and we'll make it happen. Once the public is made aware of the facts in this case, she won't have a bit of sympathy."

"Thanks John."

Lana watched as her partner manipulated suspects and attorneys alike in the pursuit of justice. He steamrolled Linda Andrews and now it was time to put the final pieces together in the investigation and present a solid case to ADA Smythe. They went back to the room where Rockwood was being held and Andy waited with the suspect as Lana found ADA Smythe and brought her to the room. She brought a camera and tripod and set up the video for her records and as evidence for the trial later. Rockwood threw LaValliere under the bus but protected his boss and the football team.

Following his confession, Rockwood was escorted to his arraignment and was held over on a one-million-dollar bond which his boss made good on the following day. Rockwood spun the tale in his favor and Landagrew made sure his loyal fixer's family was protected and cared for until his release and that he had a job to come back to.

After securing Rockwood's signed and taped confession Andy and Lana next went to see Linda Andrews. After several hours she became frantic with worry. Before they entered room #4 Andy said, "Lana, offer her a break. Tell her if she confesses about her involvement with LaValliere, the night of sex, the betrayal of her husband and the fact she knew he was injured by her lover and she abandoned him for LaValliere—if she fully discloses his attempt via text to get her to disavow knowing him and coercing her to lie and finally, if she admits to LaValliere's threat to harm her husband then she gets six months in county. If not, four years in state prison. How you do it is up to you but, she's all yours."

Lana managed to conceal her excitement as she replied, "Thanks Andy."

Andy stood silent as Lana laid out everything we knew and the mountain of evidence including the fact that her lover tried to have her husband murdered in his hospital bed. Lana played the "sympathetic friend" and made it as though she had risked her career to help Linda get the plea deal. She had me get her another diet soda while she allowed her to cry on her shoulder. Once I got back, she told her that I was opposed to her receiving "soft treatment" and wanted to see her get the maximum sentence. Lana told her, "I'm sorry Linda but I need an answer. Andy already spoke the D.A. and he is ready to revoke the deal unless you agree right now."

Through the tears, a now remorseful Linda said, "I agree." ADA Smythe repeated the process and taped Linda Andrews' confession, got it in writing and held her over in a holding cell since it was too late to get her arraigned. She phoned her boss and told him she had everything he asked for and would meet him first thing in the morning. Now there was only one more piece of business, LaValliere. When Andy and Lana walked into room #1, they found an irate suspect and his attorney who had had enough of dealing with the bottom feeders for the day.

It was Mr. J. Jeffery Hammonds, Esq who spoke first. "Detectives, we are done here. My client no longer wishes to answer your questions. Frankly, the blatant disrespect you've demonstrated in keeping him waiting in here and wasting my valuable time is insufferable. We're leaving! Believe me the Chief will be hearing from the Mayor very soon!" As they stood up to leave Andy stepped behind LaValliere.

He spoke in a loud authoritative voice, "Just a minute counselor! Marc LaValliere, you are under arrest for the attempted murder of Jim Andrews. Conspiracy to cover up your involvement in the hit and run and for the attempted murder for hire of Mr. Jim Andrews! You have the right to remain silent. If you give up the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you desire to have an attorney and cannot afford one, one will be appointed for you at no charge. Do you understand these rights as I have read them?"

I watched the look of surprise on Hammonds face and surprise as it morphed into anger on LaValliere's. He screamed to the flummoxed attorney, "Get me out of here!" He tried to resist as I went to cuff him and before he knew it a swarm of officers descended upon him, summarily subdued him, and got him cuffed. Andy smirked when Mr. J. Jeffery Hammonds, Esq. got shoved around in the melee and knocked on his big fat keister. Andy diplomatically helped him to his feet. He told him his client was to be arraigned tomorrow and would perhaps be better served by a criminal defense attorney. Andy asked Hammonds if he wanted to be listed as the attorney of record.

Hammonds replied, "Can I make a couple of quick calls first?"

Andy replied, "Certainly! We need to take your client down to be printed and photographed before he is remanded to the detention center for the evening. About a half hour to get it all wrapped up!"

Andy escorted LaValliere to booking and LaValliere said, "I'll have your badge for this and then I'll have your ass for breakfast once you're fired!" Andy just smiled.

Hammonds phoned his boss who called Augustus Landagrew and was told to drop any and all representation of Mr. LaValliere.

LaValliere hired a hot shot defense lawyer named Grant Harris. Harris, once his team reviewed the evidence in discovery advised his client to take a plea deal. LaValliere replied, "No fucking way! Get me off, that's what your paid to do."

Rockwood pled guilty and received a two-and-a-half-year sentence. He was paroled after having served only eight months. He returned to his family and went back to work fixing things for the Landagrew family and made sure he did nothing to violate his parole or ever put him on the police's radar ever again.

Linda Andrews pled guilty and sentenced to six months in the county jail for her role in the hit and run and subsequent attempt to cover up the truth in regard to Marc LaValliere's involvement. Marc LaValliere was held over for trial on all counts and was denied bail at his bond hearing as he was deemed to be a flight risk. He spent three years inside county jail awaiting his trial.

Andy Peters made his way to the hospital to see Jim Andrews. When he arrived at his room Jim was sitting up in a chair and looked much better. Andy said, "Hello Jim, good to see you up! I've got an update into your case. We nailed them! First, you need to know that a man hired by LaValliere and tried to murder you by tampering with your morphine pump. We caught him in the act and he rolled over on LaValliere. We also got your wife to roll over on LaValliere as well. She got six months and the guy got two-and-a-half years."

Jim scoffed a bit. Andy added, "Listen Jim, he's a professional fixer. He won't bother you ever again so you have nothing to worry about. Your wife could've easily gotten off but I made sure she did felony time. Its county time but it gives you sufficient time to prepare and present evidence for your divorce and custody cases. LaValliere pleaded not guilty and is in custody awaiting trial with no bail. He was cut by the Lumberjacks and banned from ever playing in the NFL or the CFL for life. His lawyer bills at $800 an hour. Additionally, after you file a monstrous civil suit, win and by the time his trial date arrives, he will either be flat broke or close to it."

He saw the smile form on Jim's face as he simply replied, "Thanks Andy, you're one hell of a detective and tell that gorgeous partner of yours the same."

Andy smiled. He rarely received compliments in his line of work. He also agreed that his partner was gorgeous. "Jim, we'll make sure you've got protection until we can be sure LaValliere can't reach out from jail. I doubt he will find anyone willing to risk their necks given the outcome of his attempt here, so don't worry. I'd get your divorce going soon though. Take care Jim!"

"Andy, when I get better, I want to buy you the biggest steak you can eat and all the beer you can drink to wash it down with!" Jim told him as he made his way to the door.

"Sure thing!" Andy walked out and headed home.

***************************************************************************

It was three years after the incident outside Club Rideau. Marc LaValliere was found guilty on all counts and sentenced to twenty years without parole and was sent to the worst and most violent prison in the state. I after two years of intensive therapy regained ninety-five percent mobility. The slight limp, weakness in my left arm and chronic pain I have felt ever since has served as a reminder to what transpired that fateful evening. My kids remind everyday just how fortunate I am and how lucky I am to be with them at all.

I served Linda with divorce papers while she served her sentence in the county jail. She tried to commit suicide shortly after but was unsuccessful. She received intensive therapy while incarcerated. I sued for and was granted full custody and Linda was granted monthly supervised visits once she left jail. I was also awarded the house and all but 10% of the marital assets. The divorce became final the day she was released. She tried to get me to agree to counseling toward a possible reconciliation but I refused. She told me every time she saw me that she loved me. I tried to ignore her until she said to me while I waited for the kids' therapy session to end, "Jim I know you love me too."

For some reason it angered me that she was telling me how I felt. I walked away but she just had to follow me outside. So, I laid into her and said, "Linda, at one time I loved you more than life itself. You chose to desecrate and disrespect that love by lying, cheating, and humiliating me in front of your so-called friends and the public at large. You left me alone to dance with and then fornicate with another man on what was supposed to be our night, our special fucking night! Then you left with that man and were sucking his cock when he tried to run me down in his car. You admitted you knew it was me left bleeding and broken on the sidewalk yet you continued on leaving me near death just to have your fantasy fuck."

I watched as she broke down and sobbed uncontrollably. I barely remembered a time when that mattered to me. I continued, saying, "Then you conspired with him to cover up the fact that he tried to kill your husband just so he could fuck you and again when I refused to capitulate and agree to drop charges. You even blew him in the middle of the day in our driveway in front of the whole neighborhood. You damaged our children, embarrassed your family and friends as well as me. You lied to me the entire time we were married."

She spit out as she wailed, "I did not!"

"Come on, you agreed with me that infidelity of any sort was a deal breaker, one and done, remember? Those four flushers that you called friends also agreed until they decided to be complacent in helping you achieve your goal to fuck that asshole. You broke our wedding vows and shattered our sacred covenant. How can you say with a straight face that you loved me? How dare you have the audacity to tell me that I love your lying, cheating, pathetic ass! As far as I'm concerned, your only redeeming quality is the fact, you're the mother of my children. I revile you. If that is what you call love I rather you hated me instead."

Eventually, she was allowed unsupervised visits with her kids but during her time in jail they had grown accustomed to life without her and they resented her for destroying their family. I refused any contact with her after that day. I arranged for my parents or my sister to drop the kids of at her place and pick them up. I never answered her calls, texts, or emails. Any communication regarding the kids needs was done through my lawyer or my family. She was just too toxic to my well-being.

As the kids got older, they found excuses to avoid going for their scheduled visits. Linda eventually brought me to court and the judge interviewed the kids after I told him I always was willing and prepared to assure they were delivered to their mother but they wished not to go. He looked at me warily until he had a chance to talk to our kids. He told Linda that they simply didn't wish to be subjected to her constant belittling and demeaning of their father.

He said, "Mrs. Andrews, when I asked them if their father ever spoke ill of you, they both unequivocally stated he told them to love and respect you. Your children love you but they don't like you very much, at least the woman you've become. I'll not force them into an uncomfortable situation. So, I leave it up to them whether they visit you during your scheduled visitation or not. Mr. Andrews, will you agree to be prepared to arrange to have your children delivered for visitation with their mother should they so desire to?"

"Yes, your honor I agree."

The judge resumed, saying, "Mrs. Andrews, it behooves you to keep adult issues from interfering and impacting the lives of your children. Mr. Andrews seems to be able to do so there is no good reason you cannot do so as well. You have a great deal of work to reintegrate yourself into their lives and rebuilding your relationship with them. I hope you strive toward that goal. Current custody agreement remains in force without penalty or prejudice due to missed visitation. Next case."

Epilogue

It took Linda months before the kids agreed to resume visitation and even longer before they felt she had genuinely changed. I dated but found it hard to trust another woman until I met Haley Martin about five years after my divorce was final. She had suffered a cheating spouse as well and we were kindred spirits and confidants. We became lovers and now after a year of dating and a year living together, I'm ready to commit to a life together. With her two children we have created a blended family. In fact, Haley was a teacher where the kids went to school and we met when she when tried to help the kids as they struggled with their relationship with Linda. Haley came to me and we sat them down and I told them that I supported them in their quest to allow their mother into their lives.

I wanted to make sure that they fully understood that their mother and I would never reconcile and never would live under the same roof again. Haley was instrumental in establishing how and why it was okay for them to love their mother and to want to have her in their lives. They struggled but came to understand and gradually worked their way back to Linda. So, I never knew nor did I care whether Linda has moved on with her life or not. What she did devastated me and scarred me for life both physically and psychologically. I haven't seen her or spoken with her since the court date for the custody agreement and I had no desire to ever see or hear from her again.

I made sure any parenting issues were resolved through a third party. Haley volunteered to take that role from my sister when she moved in. She has managed to return to the kids' good graces and I would never ask them to forgo a relationship with their mother for my sake. Linda put in the work to be a better person for them and the adult they needed her to be and earned it. My steadfast rule is that, unless it's an issue of mistreatment or abuse, the subject of their mother is off limits. Haley is kept informed by the kids and she because she is the liaison between the two of us, does regularly speak with Linda but never discussed me with Linda or vice versa.

However, after seven years I may need to rethink my strategy. Our oldest is due to graduate from high school and Haley told me it's time to at least be civil enough so that both of their parents can attend and celebrate major life events for the sake of their children's happiness. I agreed and promised that I could stand her in the same room for the sake of the kids for a few hours. I might say hello and even engage in a bit of small talk though I haven't made up my mind yet. I told my lovely wife, "Baby steps." She understood and agreed given our history. She simply said, "I'll be right by your side the whole way." God, I love this woman! The only thing that was certain is that it has been a long journey. I think, finally, we'll be okay. Only time will tell.