All Comments on 'February Sucks for Walter Mitty'

by bruce1971

Sort by:
  • 183 Comments
Carnes8004Carnes80042 months ago

A great spinoff. STAY SAFE

Diecast1Diecast12 months ago

Nice story, I like it. AAAA++++

WisquejacWisquejac2 months ago

The argument he makes to Linda is one of the better ones on this site. Thanks.

NotSomeBubbaNotSomeBubba2 months ago

That was a damned good follow-on to the original. A well earned 5 from me.

TajfaTajfa2 months ago

Really well written but nothing seemed to get through to Linda. It might have helped if she had been publicly humiliated. Did she ever care about him? Maybe a couple of paragraphs from her to see how it really affected her? 4 stars

MightyheartMightyheart2 months ago

A page from Linda's perspective would make this story better

sloggerslogger2 months ago

Love the story but it needs a 'Linda'. I cannot imagine that her story will be better that what you have written so far but you are a good author and should be up for it.

saddletramp1956saddletramp19562 months ago

Nice. The Tramp approves! 5*

Avalon101Avalon1012 months ago

Great, one of the best sequels. I loved the Jim character and the way he gave it back to Linda superbly.

johntcookseyjohntcooksey2 months ago

Your observation of the FS premise as a grownup version of the original kid’s nightmare is astute and spot on. Although the plot is similar to other FS interpretations, the arguments Jim makes to Linda are more elegant than most of the alternative offerings. Sadly, though predictably, they fall on deaf ears. I especially like that Dee is appropriately left bloodied. A fitting metaphor. Thanks very much. Your writing is a pleasure.

RePhilRePhil2 months ago

Too many divorce’s not enough widowers. Some stories should stay in the pen. This is one of them. If you’re doing FS then do something original. There are three exactly like this one. In the land of the mass shootings you simply need put him in an elementary school and he’ll be dead in a day.

ecboyecboy2 months ago

Loved it. So does Saddletramp, an accolade indeed

nickbgbnickbgb2 months ago

“It turned out that I had, indeed, left some DNA on LaValliere's ring. That, combined with the security cam footage from Morrison's parking lot and back hallway, firmly established that LaValliere, Moizoos and Smith had cleaned my clock. They lawyered up and managed to plead down to misdemeanor third degree assault, which carried a small fine.”

><><><

With evidence like that there’s no good reason for a prosecutor to go easy on them. It still happens, of course, particularly wit wealthy/famous people. Too many DAs are more concerned with themselves or the guilty party than victims.

someoneothersomeoneother2 months ago

I suppose there is a universe where story could be realistic, but this is less a story than an anti-women diatribe where the main characters are the perfect husband/father and a caricature of the worst possible wife/mother. Such one-sided stories are easy to write but have little value.

Tx77TumbleweedTx77Tumbleweed2 months ago

This was a very different take, thankfully with only a few new characters/name changes. The problem is that here Linda is nothing like the original. Part of what has made this series of alternatives interesting is that in all of them Jim and Linda are basically the same people until that NIGHT. In this version Linda was already a self-centered bitch from the start. After the tryst, that is all we are ever shown of this Linda. To me, that keeps this alternative at a 4 stars.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknight2 months ago

You had some very good moments here with some pretty funny lines. I enjoyed that. I am so sick of hearing about "Frozen". I guess it was in the original, but did it have to become as well known as Jim, Linda and Marc? The thing about Feb Sucks is this. In reality, there can be no justice, no way to make the betrayal okay. The characters can live through it and become successful, but the scars can never go away. That is what many writers try to create... some way to make Jim win the day. Broken knees and crushed balls won't change what happened to Jim, but so many of us want to make it better in some way. That is the draw of George Anderson's masterpiece. It is a modern tragedy and was very well written. It will always be the standard for betrayal and marital discord in Loving Wives.

NoTalentHackNoTalentHack2 months ago

Sending him to the Lions? Now that’s just cruel.

demanderdemander2 months ago

Nice job. I have to say, though, that a lot of women I know would sneer at a football player. I'm married to one. But, you know, a handsome actor? D

jflindersjflinders2 months ago

I'm so sick of February Sucks stories that I generally expect to downgrade them automatically, so this one came as a surprise to me. I've also wondered why writers of FS sequels don't zero in on how Jim couldn't have seen the signs in Linda before, that it isn't realistic that she just gets hit with the LW Martian Slut Ray and not only cheats but goes beyond it and humiliates her husband while previously having been a caring, loving wife. Also, to me the husband's conundrum raised by GA isn't an issue at all as I'm one of those black and white souls who would never be able to stand being married to Linda after the famous night.

I've never accepted the George Anderson premise that there weren't signs of what the wife was and how she thought before the Aha moment.

This sequel is thoughtful and very well written. The only serious issue for me is how much this story differs from the original in changing Linda's character, or perhaps Jim's perception of it, so much that it is hard to see Jim ever having decided to marry her. In this story Linda is a transparent narcissist using feminism as a justification for her selfish behavior while Jim as written seems to be perceptive, intelligent and decisive. This couple, as written, never belonged together and it is hard for me to imagine him ever deciding to marry her. It is true that people sometimes manage to hide their true character during courtship and that people sometimes miss what they don't want to see, but there is no indication here that Linda was different during courtship and this to me seems more than even an infatuated person of Jim's abilities would miss.

Though I'd have preferred a pre-Lavalliere Linda somewhere between GA's version and this one and despite being a FS sequel, this one gets 5 stars from me.

Despite this being a FS sequel this one gets 5 stars.

Lector77Lector772 months ago

The most remarkable thing about this quasi-literary effort was the conversion of James Thurber into another Walter. Next was a far better than average story. Linda stars as the trite, superficial villain wrapped in ideological cant and bluster, while Jim, in a supporting rôle, is a multi-dimensional nice guy done wrong.

Nice job. Thanks.

justbobkcjustbobkc2 months ago

Excellent. You point out the inherent irrationality of feminism very, very well. Feminism, like Marxism, is based on some OTHER species than human beings. Real human beings just don't act like Feminists and Marxists want them to be and act. Men and women need each other totally to even exist. (A mother and father, Duh!) The only ones that then choose otherwise and are somewhat happy about it are the faithfully celibate by choice Nuns and Priests type.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc2 months ago

Countless times I have commented on FS sequels citing the "flaw" GA had in his plot line of Linda. In the original, Linda was portrayed as a loving, devoted wife who turned slut on a dime. I "get" his foreshadowing conversation at the start between the men and women at a bar, but his Linda was intentionally drawn to not appear like those women who said they would do a star. What was a true bright spot in your rendition is you "fix" that defect in GA's story. While your Jim was still caught off guard and humiliated, he did have warning signs that 20/20 he failed to heed. I think you could have done a better job with "Linda" upon her return. The feminism rants were a bit over the top. If I were Jim, I would have recorded that meeting, not that anything said held any legal significance, but it would not have played well with family. Solid job overall! 4.4*

phill1cphill1c2 months ago

Again, the notion of going after Marc when it's your wife who is the slut and someone you should not have married seems like so much wounded male ego. She dumped you. Have some dignity and walk away. Don't move back into the house. And, please, stop with the "I love my teenagers so much..." when we all know we hate them and can't wait to get them out of the house and wallet.

Just_WordsJust_Words2 months ago

My favorite part was the argument near the end. The MC did a great job of deflating the "My body, my right" argument. That is one lousy wife!

JamieCTaylorJamieCTaylor2 months ago

I hear Detroit's even colder than Buffalo.

Not a chance. Don't sent the bastard here!

miket0422miket04222 months ago

Highly entertaining. I spit my coffee out when he cited Longfellow Deeds as being an eloquent speaker.

Thank you for sharing.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShit2 months ago

A nice spin. GO DOLPHINS!

francemanfranceman2 months ago

Congratulations. A very good story.

Agreed with many of Jim's points that are almost never emphasized in stories.

An asshole will always be an asshole and nothing good can be expected of him.

She's your partner, she's the one who's committed to you, she's the one who promised,........and she's the one who betrays.

The same goes for the reciprocity of my body my choice .... or just one night, ..... or darling we have to talk ...... The same rights, the same duties.

And then, a big 5⭐ for using Stan Lee in LW. 😎

MigbirdMigbird2 months ago

Downhill from the start especially half baked Wikipedia level critique of feminism. Like so many (not all) follow ups to Anderson’s engrossing piece, this comes off as a platform.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Now2 months ago

Wow!

Loved this one - excellent telling.

Love the bit about how Linda's warped sense of feminism played into her 'choices.'

Well done.

Pinto931Pinto9312 months ago

Way too much lecturing on the perils of toxic feminism detracted from a decent version of Feb Sux.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper69892 months ago

I enjoyed the read one I almost decided not to read. Beyond the Linda, Jim thing you offered a enjoyable read. The Linda and Jim situation was handled in a manner that may put February to rest.

shadowjack17shadowjack172 months ago

Thank you for using a REAL team. Saint Louis Sharks? Really? I was born in that town. My personal prejudice inserts Gronkowski every time I see "LaValliere", but that's just me. Best I've seen of this totally overplayed and written sub genre. Good on ya, mate.

Barst0hBoyBarst0hBoy2 months ago

Thank you also for filling in the real blank that GA leaves...Linda's personality. With no knowledge of her in the original story we had to accept that she wasting out of character. You have given us a real Linda and a real outcome.

MwestohioMwestohio2 months ago

Nice alternative vuew. I wasn't big on the daydreaming until you did the homage to a mens camp out west

mainer42mainer422 months ago

different take for sure. Good read

Paiger123Paiger1232 months ago

Love your writing style! Appreciate the Easter egg for Saddletramp1956 😀

JoeBetterBNiceJoeBetterBNice2 months ago

Well written and satisfying story. 5 stars. I struggle with the versions of this story that look for reconciliation, so a story that leaned into the reality of the setup is appreciated. Also appreciated the realistic end note that described the husband not trying destroy the person he has to co-parent with. While I agree with the burn-the-bitch sentiment, prioritizing the kids is a good move.

Finally, unrelated to the quality of the story, I have to point out a typo that is relevant to me personally. "James" Thurber, not "Walter" Thurber, wrote the "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". Bruce obviously was thinking of the story name when he mentioned the author. I only point out this trivial mistake in case anyone wants to look up stories or cartoons by the author I consider America's greatest 20th century humorist. His material is still funny, more than a half century later. Pick up one of his collections at the library or your favorite bookseller.

xtc5xtc52 months ago

Over all I thought is was a good story with a few problems IMHO. I ended up liking the story that I thought I would love.

Nice job, thanks for sharing.

Regguy69Regguy692 months ago

Maybe the best FS take I've read in a while. The flights of fantasy added a touch of humor to an otherwise tragic tale. Sadly I know a few women with Linda's attitude and they don't like me. Thanks for sharing.

FaceForRadioFaceForRadio2 months ago

Best description ever of the night at Morrison’s— you felt every blow that Jim suffered. By the end, you really have to HATE Linda, and there’s not enough of that in some of the other FS versions. Very realistic ending. Sad but hopeful for Jim. My only problem is that Linda got off way too easy. She spouted all of her crap and Jim had an excellent response, but she didn’t change. She didn’t even stop to consider that Jim was right. But she makes out fine financially even though she does lose primary custody of the kids (given her beliefs, I’m not sure how much that mattered to her anyway.). True, she doesn’t need to wind up in a Tijuana donkey show, but a severe comeuppance beyond Jim’s eloquent words would have been nice.

Corny1974Corny19742 months ago

Excellent writing.

funperson969funperson9692 months ago

I just love all the different takes on the original story. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

"you have so many barriers and walls and rules that I wonder if you've ever been able to let go"

And he's had to be so constantly aware of those barriers and walls and rules that I wonder if he's ever been able to let go.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

And Linda? Did she find herself living a lonely isolated life when the world saw her for the toxic feminist she really was? What kind of man wants to date a woman like her? Was she turned off by the kind of men who did try to date her, just trying to make her a trophy notch on their bedpost? She deserves to be single for the rest of her life.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Great expose of militant feminism, Really great alternative ending for a great story.

Ed

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

One of the very best “sucks” followups

servant111servant1112 months ago

One of the best. Very well done!

5 stars

Gmann006Gmann0062 months ago

it would have been nice to rub marcs face into all the money he lost and mostly being traded to the lions. to lions fans.. remember who they are .. the lions, in two years they will be back at the bottom of the nfc central lol

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Liked this take on the story. You do know that there was no February the 29th in 2022 though?

lujon2019lujon20192 months ago

your tag said revenge

there was no revenge

one star for lying

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Another crappy addition to a crappy story. You threw out every piece of feminist bulshit possible but hardly defdnded it with any kind of thought-out rational argument from the other side. Yaay... one more piece shit to add to the ever growing turd

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

NOT bad a different sort of story This is the 77TH Jim and Linda story and while most are different I hope it ends SOON (jaybee186)

chymerachymera2 months ago

It’s James Thurber and Walter Mitty, and the Danny Kaye movie was better than the Ben Stiller version. Did enjoy your story. Good job.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Just another version of the same old trash. Remember you can't beat a dead horse to death. But you can sure bore your reader to ignore the writers of this garbage.

MountainMan1336MountainMan13362 months ago

2 Stars, that is all I give this version of February Sucks. Linda is nothing but a cheating bitch Femi-Nazi. If she doesn't like men, then why the hell did she ever get married and give birth to children? With her attitude Linda should stayed with her pussy licking college roommate and let the marriage minded Jim go to a real woman who knows what equality is. Jim did his best with what he had to work with, so you can't blame him for anything except for choosing poorly when he was looking for a wife.

bacchant2bacchant22 months ago

Linda didnt really suffer or accept guilt did she? and that took the topping off what is a really good story. I did feel that once you got past the point you wanted to make that you took your eye off the ball a little. For example the beating wasnt one on one yet it never came up again. I get the points that this is really about todays ridiculous feminism and that it was at a cost of the couple ever having loved each other. Nicely done.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

People complain about all the FebSux follow-up, as though every depth has already been plumbed. But I have to say that the most recent tales have been more imaginative and well written than the first few.. it could be said that the children are off the streets and the grownups are in charge now.

This story merits a solid five stars.

JPB NOT BOB

Alt_87Alt_872 months ago

Easily one of the best sequels.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Excellent! I especially enjoyed Jim’s rebuttal to the faux feminism I read cheating wives spout constantly in stories here. This is the first time I can recall a husband successfully debate it.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

I read the the preface to this story with a growing sense of dread but plunged in anyway and was pleasantly surprised. The author did a fine job here and like many of the versions that have sprung from the original trashed the warped premise and outcome that George Anderson presented to us in 2020. Very well done.

JR

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Too much psycho-blabbering about ridiculous men behaviours. If this umpteenth feb-hating variant had put a man brain in the MC husband's head, this could have been a good one. And, why the whore wife didn't pay for anything ? Usual femdom ending.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapu2 months ago

Well i give this a 4-star bevause the writer put a lot of effort coming up with thise dialougues which I personally think a bit over fone and of most Linda's responses, over the top. I'm still thankful to @bruce1971 despite the uncessary info on too much snow and snow-shovelling

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Love the Buffalo tie in lol Entertaining story

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

You warned us with the self-involved intro, renaming James Thurber as Walter, and the brain dead climate change denial (really, at this point? Is rain something we can choose to believe in or not, too?) but did I listen? Oh no, not me, I plowed along reading and proceeded to waste the next 15 minutes of my life on a cliched, trite, boring, toxic piece of shit with absolutely no redeeming value. You wrote this piece of shit but you did give us fair warning so the blame for reading it is solely on me.

Old_TimerOld_Timer2 months ago

All in all, I thought it was a well written story. Much better than most of the other "February Sucks" stories.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Anytime I see someone slap ‘Copyright’ on a story…

Did you file the paperwork? Did you pay the fee?

Also, this says ‘Walter Mitty’ right in the title so it’s a ‘derivative work’. It’s copyrighted… but not by you.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Love it. I’m not a writer, but I read a lot, not just LW on this site. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. All in all I consider this story an equal of the original, and for me some ways better. Thank you for writing it. 5s

IrishLaddy59IrishLaddy592 months ago

This is superbly written and executed. Jim took victim status and turned it into a path forward. Money helps ease the pain a bit. Still, everyone went through hell thanks to a selfish, narcissistic wife. For her one can only hope and pray. We know Jim will be ok.

All the best...Bravo on great story.

Dave

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

I like the version with guns better but still gave it five starts because he wasn't a cuck and fought to the best of his ability

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

It's too bad the white Escalade, wasn't hit by a tractor-trailer, and both badly injured, her fatally, and him with his cock bit off getting a blow job while driving. Jim would get the kids, et all, and could find a real wife and new mother for the kids...

BoundaryBoundary2 months ago

Just fuck valentine's day, they were celebrating their tenth anniversary NOT valentine's. I've seen so many of these get that wrong. Other than that a great take. 4 stars

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

I guess we know what bumper sticker someoneother has on their car. I mean, no woman could EVER be the self-righteous bitch that Linda was in this story, right? And certainly, no MAN could ever be a better parent than a WOMAN! This story must be pretty accurate to ruffle little woman's feathers so much.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Not bad, kind of meandering. After reading a crap load of these sequels. It's long past time for them to die.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

You must be a guy from Buffalo. Well so am I. After 59 years of failure I will no longer watch them. Just like your story and their characters all things Buffalo, Fail

Jalibar62Jalibar622 months ago

“Coked-up bonobos on Spanish Fly"… <snicker>…

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

This is my favorite. The best dialogue and plot. Just the best.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

I liked that he tries to stop it. I liked that he divorced. I liked that his family supported him and so did the kids. I liked that the Navy seals did not appear. I liked he was a basic man and not some commando secret service assassin. I liked she just disappeared from the story and did not end up in a whore house. All more realistic.

Escape_WithinEscape_Within2 months ago

I am impressed. I was very touched by Cockatoo's rendition. I think in this universe Linda will always be a villianess rather than a victim. Yes it is nice to read about a simple (uncomplicated) man. Marriage means different things to different couples. There is definitely a disparity in the dynamics. They were not equal to start. They are not equal in the end. Nice piece it made me upset but I liked monologue on the page three. Keep them coming.

Frank66Frank662 months ago

How is it possible that we can still enjoy reading FebSux stories, especially when there are so many of them and so many of them are so well done? Well, good writing does that, and this one was exceptional. I thought it would be a brave writer who would try to add something after Cockatoo's excellent version, but several have and succeeded. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Great take on the GA story. Too bad he didn't realize what a pseudo-feminazi she was until it was too late. At least he got away from her and is moving on with his life.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

5 stars for emphasizing that women have accountability to go with their agency, and especially for Dee’s head being blown up, even in a daydream!

ZK

Waldteufel61Waldteufel612 months ago

This version and the storytelling make all my other five star ratings look like three stars

nixroxnixrox2 months ago

1 star - The gratuitous violence guaranteed you a one-star rating.

PLUS just about every rendition of GA's 'Feb Sucs' story automatically gets a one-star rating.

However, most of your writing style appealed to my sense of humor, so please keep writing.

Better luck with your next story.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

I have to confess that I haven’t read the whole story. Actually I only got through a few paragraphs. The problem with these sequels, followups, and ‘takes’ (take your pick) on FS is the author tweaks facts to fit whatever psychological problems GA’s story has caused them to suffer from. Their efforts simply become self therapy that they make the readers suffer through.

As most can’t write their stories are horrible. Bruce71 has already fallen into the trap of changing facts already in evidence to suit his admitted fixation. The real problem here is he is just too good of a writer to do this! Just write your own celebrity hall pass story and forget FS! He’s one of the best on this website. His wit and insight are too good for this. I’ll keep going only because he’s one of my favorites and I already love the Walter Mitty angle

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

It was very good, but in tne end you just didn’t resolve his relationship with Linda. Your portrayal of her was that of a delusional, narcissistic, and immature bitch. So why would he EVERZ go to counseling with her post divorce, or ever have a thing but a clinically polite…and never “warm” … relationship with her ever again? Geez…he got the shit beat out of him by her fuck toy, and she didn’t care one little bit!

.

4 ****

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Shitty wife, shitty life. Way to go Walter. 55555555+

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Well, Pinto, toxic feminism is a thing and there’s this thing called “difference of opinion” that means you don’t have to be snide about your beliefs.

Roscoe2015Roscoe20152 months ago

Nice! I thought this story was very original and some parts made me laugh. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

"In January, we got hit with subzero temperatures and over 50 inches of snow and sleet--overwhelming evidence that, at least for the time being, Jack Frost was still kicking the shit out of Al Gore's inconvenient truth."

actually the global heat index was such that 2021 was the 5th hottest year on record and then 2022 was the 6th hottest year on record, and then 2023 was THE hottest year on record. the fact that every year seems to be in the top 10 of "hottest year on record" which started all the way back in the 1800s is kind of evidence that al gore's inconvenient truth is kicking hack frosts ass... every single year. as it on average getting hotter as the years go by.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

At the end of the day, it was just another 1* effort.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Really well done!!!

Engaging commentary, witty and lighthearted with appropriate cultural references.

Totally believable!

xMulexMule2 months ago

4*

So many of the Feb Sucks "sequals" need never have been written. Not so, this one.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

lost me from the beginning.

LoriRobinsonGaLoriRobinsonGa2 months ago

#128 FS sequel read. I really liked this version. As others have said it's an original take and the bad guys all lose to some degree.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

The preface alone is worth 5 *****.

CelestialFalconCelestialFalcon2 months ago

"The title comes from a Walter Thurber story about a guy who daydreams. It's a short read if you're interested; if not, the Ben Stiller movie is worth a peek..."

...

You can find the short story at https://learning.hccs.edu/faculty/selena.anderson/engl2307/readings/the-secret-life-of-walter-mitty-by-james-thurber/view

...

I haven't seen the movie with Ben Stiller - I still think of Mitty as played by Danny Kaye in the movie from 1947 (which itself, strayed from the short story). Guess I'll have to stream Stiller's movie.

.

=====

So what do you get when you blend the controversy of FEBSUX (the original and all its subsequent adaptions) with the controversy of Mitty (and all its subsequent movie, radio, and stage adaptions)?

... well, you get an enjoyable read

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userbruce1971@bruce1971
January 2024 Update Happy New Year's, everyone! I recently received a comment stating that I'm a smart guy who's clearly trying to do something specific, but that the reader had no idea what my point was.  It bummed me out a little. Because, yes, my stories (hopefully!) hav...