All Comments on 'February Sucks Less in Texas'

by Texican1830

Sort by:
  • 138 Comments
SwordWielderSwordWielderabout 3 years ago

Wonderful! Both the men and women don't put up with the crap from the womanizing sports star. Can you imagine the publicity nightmare that would follow? Football player Lavalliere assaulted table of rodeo champion couples and ended up with another broken finger and hurt toe. His popularity will sink just like the titanic - right to the bottom. I can just see him propositioning a Texas ranger's wife in the club, making threats in front of multiple witnesses and of course suddenly have a new air conditioning system installed due to the 2 - 3 bullet holes in his chest.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

You really should learn one of the very first rules about writing before attempting it. A new paragraph is started every fucking time someone new speaks. 1 star for not caring enough about what you are doing to do it right.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraabout 3 years ago

"Don't Mess With Texas!"

26thNC26thNCabout 3 years ago

Don't mess with Texas boy! No football in Texas except the Cowboys as far as I know. I love the story, but the last paragraph puzzles me. Who is Hor-Hay ? Is it W ?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Love it. This is what should be in LW.

George Anderson's version is sissy.

4 star.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Hilarious.

PowersworderPowersworderabout 3 years ago

I was expecting Lane to be packing and just gun down Lavallier for the low-down cur he was!

rublicksrublicksabout 3 years ago

About time we had a good ending

Sandhauler64Sandhauler64about 3 years ago
Now that how it done

Don’t mess with a Texan woman you get your ass hand to you by her husband or boyfriend or father we Texas men keep our women safe

oldsage_1oldsage_1about 3 years ago

Good on Chrissie and the guys! Best Lavalliere story yet!

Cheers

SAGE

WargamerWargamerabout 3 years ago

I was enjoying the tale and then it was all over.....

WTF happened?

We were building and then bang!!

All over

I’ll give it 3/5 for trying.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Best February Sucks so far!!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 3 years ago

Please, only one speaker per paragraph, and identify speakers better.

/

While the civilians were obviously trying to show disdain for the Texans, Marc wouldn't have said that he plays for "the local football team," he would have said that he plays for the Texans.

/

What was so great about that last line?

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 3 years ago

A cowboy vs a football player? My money's on the cowboy. I do love a happy ending!

whateverittakeswhateverittakesabout 3 years ago

This is a good one. Dang, you just don't mess with Texas. You got it right about the high priced sideline sitter.

maninconnmaninconnabout 3 years ago
Love the cowboy fashion commentary in the beginning!

Now, back to read the rest!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

To busy laughing at the references to really take it seriously. But, even though it was a tongue and cheek confrontation with a fool. It was still a clear and serious warning to assholes who think disrespecting another, especially in Texas would be allowed. Now I'm biased as far as this goes because I'm from Texas. A lot of people think that Texans are arrogant. Well, It isn't arrogant to be proud for where your from. Before I reached the age responsibility I ran the circuit for a few years. Not in the same class as the mentioned characters but I did well enough to get by and put some aside for the future. So while I can confirm that this is more realistic than you think. I will also add that I have met fellow Americans from places like Wyoming, New Mexico, Montana, Louisiana and Oklahoma just to name a few that live by the same code of conduct and respect. So before you entitled assholes think of pulling something like this make sure you know the location of the nearest hospital. Odds are you are going to need it if you don't pull in your horns before you get your ass handed to you. Men like this don't back up and don't stop until their dead. They are never alone because they have the respect and loyalty of others just like them. But they never look for backup it is just usually there.

looking4itlooking4itabout 3 years ago

Well, that was about as thin and self-serving as a story as I have read in awhile. Maybe if you spent as much time developing your plot as you did describing your characters your story might appeal to more readers.

Rogn123Rogn123about 3 years ago

This is a feel good story, but keep in mind that Texas re-elected a senator who allowed an orange headed idiot to publically tell him his wife was ugly and that his daddy helped kill President Kennedy. Instead of bitch slapping the orange man, the senator actually helped the moron try to get re elected President. Seems Texans may not be as standup as this story depicts.

JohnD46JohnD46about 3 years ago

Texans do handle their own. Don't mess with cowboys. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Great story....And the character JOR-HAY Well played!!

BeBopper99BeBopper99about 3 years ago

5***** The is the very best of the GA February overdone series. I follow both football and Rodeo, and I here to tell you that Rodeo men and gals are far tougher! At the high school regional, I saw a junior high bullrider get kicked in the face and stomped. The paramedics worked on him. Kid got up and walked it off. Saw him back on horse an hour later. There's tough, then there's super tough.

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerabout 3 years ago

Texican1830: Good story and would have gotten you a five, except you violated the most basic rule of creative writing—“Every time a speaker changes, even if for only one word, you MUST start a new paragraph.”

Now excuse me, but I must respond to ‘good ole Rogn123’ who just had to get into politics on a fun site. BTW, I’ve done it myself—sometimes it just boils over and we can’t help it. Anyway Rog, how is things working out for you ‘Dimmy-rats’ with the HIGH JUMP in gas prices and the illegal new voters flooding the border. You do have sense enough to know tax payers provide all the expenses of government, including all these stimulus check, and the cost of providing for our illegal job grabbing guest, don’t you? Or have you bought into that shit about “They only take jobs Americans won’t do” or the rich corporations are paying for all this free stuff? If you weren’t dumb enough to vote for socialism, you’d know only the end user of a product pays. When a business is taxed, they simply raise the price of their product to cover it; of course if the tax is too high they move off shore and another job goes bye-bye.

Texican, I’m scoring a 4 on this one—it was a joy to read. cd

Texican1830Texican1830about 3 years agoAuthor

Sbrooks it’s clear you aren’t a fan of Pure Country, or you’d have recognized the immortal line that Dusty threw at his impersonator Buddy at the end of their confrontation. Hor-hay’s friends still give him hell about it, and he just grins.

I didn’t say Texans because the OP used ‘local pro football team’ in his story; it’s a tiny homage to GA.

Texican1830Texican1830about 3 years agoAuthor

Wargamer, ol Marc made his play and got shut down. He cursed Chrissy and got his pinky broke again and his turf toe stomped by a guy sitting down. His friends decided to intervene and Hor-hay’s security detail convinced them to slink out while everyone laughed at them.

Not sure what else you want in an ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Maybe an editor would have helped

It was difficult to follow the story when you kept having different people speaking in the same paragraph. And although I found the Hor-hay to be amusing the attitude that Texans are all badasses and solve everything with their fists simply prolongs the general myth that Texans are a bunch of low-life brawlers that are dumber than rocks.

I guess Texas really is just jack rabbits, rattlesnakes and sage brush.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Weird and the comments are even weirder.

In what part of Texas can you deliberately break the finger of a local football hero who has

enough money to sue your ass off in the, very unlikely, event that you escape felony charges?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Best of the group so far ! Being a 7th generation TEXAN , I've been waiting for a fellow Texan to set these yankee wimps straight ! 5*****'s for sure ! Woulda been 10 if Litused that scale . Get'em Son !

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 3 years ago

Not bad for 1 page - made me chuckle! 4*

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 3 years ago

That gave me a laugh! Thanks!

Rogn123Rogn123about 3 years ago

Carolinadreamer, since you asked, I’m doing really well. I don’t worry about the price of gasoline or the other things you mentioned because we have a President who knows how to handle a pandemic and knows how to deliver a stock market that kicks ass. I’m retired and am getting prepared to resume traveling the world to see all the people who once again will start admiring Americans and welcome us as visitors. I will do my small part to convince the rest of the world that all Americans didn’t lose their collective minds the last 4 years.

Bh76Bh76about 3 years ago

So Hor-hay is supposed to be George Strait?

MicknTrixieMicknTrixieabout 3 years ago

Disjointed and rambling.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Lucky there was no ball bustin during the last 8 seconds

Texican1830Texican1830about 3 years agoAuthor

Anonymous, not so much anymore, since Texas got overrun by Yankees and, Worse, Californios. Now we have psychiatrists and mediators and such to handle disputes and trauma. But rodeo Cowboys? Not so much. In fact, mine are overly civilized.

Texican1830Texican1830about 3 years agoAuthor

SBrooks, my writing guide says “ Separating dialogue into paragraphs is preferred since it makes it clear when different characters speak. But in certain instances when there is just a quick back and forth between characters and dividing them into separate paragraphs will ruin the flow of text, it can be acceptable to keep them in one paragraph.” The quick back and forth was what I was going for.

njlaurennjlaurenabout 3 years ago

Iiked it,I got a hoot n a holler at this one,hysterical.

Texican1830Texican1830about 3 years agoAuthor

26thNC, Hor-Hay is the pronunciation of the Spanish name of the star of Pure Country. The closing line is from the movie. He is, in fact, a pretty good team roper, like in the movie.

taylorsamtaylorsamabout 3 years ago

Some of the comments were right, an editor would have helped grammatically.

But who cares the story was perfect as told.

Loved it!.

Rogn123Rogn123about 3 years ago

The story was ok, but you apparently are not going to post my reply to Carolinadreamer’s post, so could you forward it to him so he knows I replied to him? I don’t want him to think I ignored him and I don’t have a copy of my post. Thanks

etchiboyetchiboyabout 3 years ago
Love this version. Takes GA’s original premise of the Celebrity Slut Ray (CSR)...

...and just runs over, basically saying “In Texas they ain’t such a thing. Our woman are loyal...period.”

Though I was waiting for 6 concealed carry pistols to come out myself. Of course the ones doing the arguing wouldn’t draw, that’d just be wrong and add to the tension (and look bad when the sheriff got involved). Nope, all the friends would be backing their friend in need of defense.

5-stars

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 3 years ago

@Texican1830, with all due respect to GA, just because he did it doesn't make it right. I don't remember if I called him on it, if I didn't, I should have! It's simply not the way anyone would speak, especially the player. MAYBE if you were speaking to someone who might not know who the Texans were, you might say, "He plays for the Texans, the local professional football team."

/

If that's what your style guide says, fine, but even it says that separate paragraphs are preferred, and to ME, it makes for a cleaner look. I WILL admit that after looking back, I didn't notice any places where the speaker wasn't clear.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
@sbrooks103x 03/22/21

re:

While the civilians were obviously trying to show disdain for the Texans, Marc wouldn't have said that he plays for "the local football team," he would have said that he plays for the Texans.

-------------

Civilian is a word which means 'Not a soldier'.

Does not mean 'not a pro athlete', they are civilians also.

Richie4110Richie4110about 3 years ago

Slow start with too much extraneous information. Antithetical conclusion.

Thanks for trying.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Loved it... Best version yet!!

VinastodaVinastodaabout 3 years ago

Now there you go tryin' to rile up fans of the opposition to the cowgirls. But seriously not a bad story at all you got most us Texans right. We will stand up for what's right. I enjoyed the story. I gave it a full five.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

@Rogn123

Man what a joke you are. In your travels please, please stay where ever you go. Hey do us a favor and take Blunden and Scareus with you. You might also call ahead and see they allow pets. I’m sure Pelosi-cunt would like to go to. 5 trillion more in debt in 2 months, border in crisis, gas has gone up 40% in 2 months and vaccinations are going on now because the leader from the last four years. If this is your idea of being qualified please take your vaunted leaders with you. Just ignore the laughter when get there. No...no they aren’t laughing at you. It is obvious that your ability to see reality has been damaged by your dementia. I really hope these previous trips you took were “real”.

If you really believe what you said, you sir are a MORON.

etchiboyetchiboyabout 3 years ago
@anony 3/23/21 — civilians.

Civilians is used by many people. It is often used by many who are in intense and or intense and dangerous occupations, especially police, firemen and other emergency services, and medical personnel. It’s not all the time, but whenever someone from the “outside” does not understand something that’s intrinsic with these professionals, they’ll look at each other, shrug their shoulders, and say, “Civilians...”

Oh, THEY know it really means non-military (which includes them), but “civilians” in one word encapsulates the non-understanding of someone outside their profession to their intense work.

Being an army brat I took exception to that when young, but cannot help how people change the meaning of a word, and have come to accept its use in that particular fashion.

InfosaugerInfosaugerabout 3 years ago

Although it was a good story to read there is just on flaw in this texas story:

Here Marc tries to seduce the wife of an other top sportsstar. What would have happened if the husband of the targeted wife is just a plain (not in a negativ way) texan like the husband in the original story instead of a himself famous star?

tralan69ertralan69erabout 3 years ago

Good story. And that is no shit about Texans, as well as people in general from that part of the country.

@Infosauger

"If," didn't happen in this story, if it had, nothing changes.

@sbrooks103x

Please, only one speaker per paragraph, and identify speakers better.

This is just what you prefer, not necessarily anyone else preference. You seem to think that people should do it your way or it is wrong. Guess what? you are not always right.

/

While the civilians were obviously trying to show disdain for the Texans, Marc wouldn't have said that he plays for "the local football team," he would have said that he plays for the Texans.

There you go again, stating YOUR preferences.

/

What was so great about that last line?

George Strait, said a line like this to Joe Nichols in the movie Pure Country. Spanish for George is Jorge pronounced hor-hay along with the rolling of the r.

@Anonymous3 days ago

Weird and the comments are even weirder.

In what part of Texas can you deliberately break the finger of a local football hero who has

enough money to sue your ass off in the, very unlikely, event that you escape felony charges?

There were too many witnesses saying the football guy started the whole thing, or anything else the cowboys wanted to dream up.

NitpicNitpicabout 3 years ago
That

That is how Marc should have been treated in every version of the story.

nixroxnixroxabout 3 years ago

I hate all these versions of a really bad story. However, these fellas would not have fared any better in Alberta

LeFrog08LeFrog08almost 3 years ago

This has to be the best ending yet!

I loved the wife’s reaction.

MarkT63MarkT63almost 3 years ago

Best ending so far!!! 5 STARS!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Better than GA's by far... not merely because the husband wasn't a pussy, like Jim, but because the characters were CONSISTENTLY developed, while GA had to do periodic lobotomies on his characters to move them in the directions he wanted. The plot was also free of the eruptions of idiocy GA wrote into his plot (e.g. "LW" and "Ellen"). Finally, rodeo is a lot harder and more dangerous than pro football.

WetheNorthWetheNorthalmost 3 years ago
People get over your selves

It is a story. Just fiction. Funny at that.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

What the other asshats should have done for their “friends”. Predictors poaching on wives need treated like varmits.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Yep, in the original story, real friends would have backed the husband up, circling the prey from the preditor, moving her from harms way. She would not be allowed the opportunity to make a fool of her husband or herself.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Good for you, Texican 1830, for showin' them effeminate Yankees how it 'posed to be. Some of the criticisms notwithstanding, you have given us an LW version of "Southern Man" and it is appreciated. Maybe this version will lay this storyline down. As Grammy used to say, "the South gonna riiiise again!".

All male humans know and accept the fact that Alphas get to mate with whomever, wherever they wish. All female humans know that mating with an Alpha makes them an Alpha, too. Humans are on the same level as wolves (that's why we hate them so much). It's just the way it is. Hence the angst, hand-wringing, abject submission by the Betas (and the rest of the alphabet), the vying and envy of the females, and the inordinate attention focused upon a story about a narcissistic sociopath. Alphas are guaranteed a win every time, it's just that sometimes when you walk into a place there's some local Alphas already there that are willing to protect their territory.

The real beauty of LW is in the lack of constraints on depicting the rawest of human emotions, urges, and where they come from.

LWlurker

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 3 years ago

Nice short flash tale. Don't fuck with Texas.

Five Stars

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionalmost 3 years ago

Well Texican1830, I thought I was a bit of a braggart. I was raised in Orange around a lot of big men that worked hard jobs in the oil fields, chemical plants and ship yards. And we all could spin a tall tail, but you my friend are a bigger braggadocio than anyone I have ever known. I have a lot of catching up to do.

dark2donut2dark2donut2almost 3 years ago

Foolish and juvenile bragging without a plot. Lousy writer.

Texican1830Texican1830almost 3 years agoAuthor

Donut, did you read George Anderson’s story? Not every girl in every bar is going to drop her drawers for a football player, not every husband is whiny and intimidated, and “friends” don’t always aid and abet the enemy. But I’m sure you’re right…

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Marc, the asshole got his...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good rendition. In the original, if my wife went with that asshole, it would be a one way trip. If she made it in the house, she'd be extremely sorry. They both would be, maybe never seen again...

RanDog025RanDog025over 2 years ago

That was good, thank you! 5 BIG ONES!

Fatass47Fatass47over 2 years ago

😁👍 a 5 for sure

1Merlin1Merlinover 2 years ago

Finally a Lavalliere story set in a local with real men.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 2 years ago
I like this version...

Especially liked the request for Western Swing at the dance club - love it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Even us up here in the great white North (Canada) wouldn’t cross a Texan. It’s called respect

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Just a note here for those who are not from or ever spent significant time in Texas. Relatively speaking, many of the "dance hall queens" and maybe more of the rodeo girls, can kick the ass of most men who attend those respective venues! They are a force unto themselves and should not be trifled with...just saying. Those rodeo girls didn't just wake up one day when they turned 18 and say "I think I'll go out and race a 1,200 pound horse around some barrels this weekend." No, they've been doing that since the saddle horn sat taller in the saddle than they did. Oh, and many of those "dance hall queens", they're rodeo girls to start with. TANSTAAFL

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is a story that has been revised many times. I do enjoy the stories where the football player does not win. In this time we live in, men have forgotten to stand up and do what is right. A man sometimes has to take a stand and do what he thinks is right. To hell with others think in the original story Dee and the other so called friends need to burn in hell.

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyover 2 years ago

Kind of loses the point of the whole thing if he doesn’t have a mysterious power over women. Makes for a short story

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I've read a shit-load of alternate endings to GA's original Feb sucks story...but this ending, takes the cake...icing and all! Loved it! 5 stars !

Thank you, Texican!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

There's an old saying, "You don't just fight the fights that can be won, you fight the fights that need to be fought." To some men, real men, you don't weigh whether or not you'll win the fight, you do what you can because it's the right thing to do.

.

Take a look at Chris LeDoux. Rodeo rider and country music singer. A bad dude to mess with. Too many pansy writers don't know what a real man is or how they live. A real man would never have allowed what happened in Anderson's story. She (Anderson) obviously has never been with a real man, someone who would fight for his family, whether he can win that fight or not.

.

That said, the wife in Anderson's story wasn't worth fighting over.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

No plot. Just a bunch of blowhard catchphrases.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I really liked the reference to overpaid, entitled sports stars! Last summer I went to a White Sox game. Things have sure changed, since 1983-

1983-12 ounce Beer from a vendor- $2.50. At the stands. 16 ounce for $2.75

Ticket at game time, $12.50

2021- Beer is around $20.00 Similar seat as in 83’, now you need to buy online, and it cost $150.00. In 1983, it was common to see people actually pass out, before the national anthem. ( especially Friday nights) Today, the parking lot is a yuppie paradise. People are tailgating. You would think, you were at a Bears game.

The players decide if and when they are going to show up. One pitching prospect, took the 2020 season off, because he went thru a divorce and was “ depressed”. In 1983, the team had two guys , who showed up for tryouts at the park, and made the team. Ron Kittle was a steelworker, and Kevin Hickey pitched in a Chicago softball league. Kittle had been paralyzed, and fought his way back, to be able to play baseball. These guys had a work ethic. They were not so removed, from the fan base. It is a different story today....

Texican1830Texican1830about 2 years agoAuthor

Anonymous- so you go around scoring anything with the original title in it a zero without reading them?

Should have read this version instead, cause none of that shit happened here. Thanks for not reading.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

You just don't mess with Texas. Or you're gonna get your pinky & big toe hurt all over agin. GAs story is great some of the after stories, not so much, some great as well. This is one of the better ones. LP

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15about 2 years ago

Texas Style indeed! Totally loved it! Take the asshole to the cleaners!

I wouldn't step out on my man ever. If the relationship is over leave and divorce don't cheat.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Asshole got put in his place quickly. Maybe, in the original, Linda should have taken a page out of Chrissie's book. She would then realize he was an asshole loser.

Buster2UBuster2Uabout 2 years ago

Asshats that don't actually READ the stories in LW just go there to complain about them. I guess the morons that voted for Biden feel some kind of brave now because they haven't been arrested for treason yet, they must love the $4/gal gas. It is all part of the Coonie plan. 5 stars to writer! I love a happy ending

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Asshole got his, and Chrissie proved she's not a whore!

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanabout 2 years ago

LOL good twist on the original story until the last line

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Best told tale on this story yet. Way to go boys!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Finally I’ve been waiting for a real man and areal woman to run into this foot ball pussy. Lol. This is awesome. Little muffin has a sore toe, typical pampered athlete. 5 stars

Cracker270Cracker270almost 2 years ago

Never ask a man if he is from Texas. If he is he will get around to telling you and if he isn’t it will just embarrass him.

Good well written fun story. Easy five. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago
Hmm

Is that last line supposed to mean somthing, perhaps in Texas?

robdh51robdh51over 1 year ago

Great story, really well written. But tell me why, do some people have to bring politics into everything?

As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!"

Buster2U5 months ago

Asshats that don't actually READ the stories in LW just go there to complain about them. I guess the morons that voted for Biden feel some kind of brave now because they haven't been arrested for treason yet, they must love the $4/gal gas. It is all part of the Coonie plan. 5 stars to writer! I love a happy ending

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good story!! Out of curiosity, there was a skank who expressed a desire to dance and be taken home by Lavaliar....hope jer husband put her right

kirei8kirei8over 1 year ago

The skank's husband was from New York City.

dikupinyadikupinyaover 1 year ago
yup

thats how we do it in texas!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Who were the guys in the dark suits? I lived in Texas, I believe it's some sort of government test area for red neck shit knickers that can't get along with anyone.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great!!! So old Hor-hay was George Strait.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Oh yeah, a part time man goes against an honest hard man. No referees in rodeo calling out petty fouls.

RimmerdalRimmerdalover 1 year ago

Could have been good. I'd pull it and write it up so it made more sense.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTexican1830@Texican1830
Yes, I'm old enough to have enjoyed the '60s...and 70s, and everything from then until now. My experiences and points of view are likely quite different, so be open minded when you read my stuff, as I do with yours. Current works: Chapters 1 & 2 of Comeuppance are awaiting a...