All Comments on 'February Sucks - Sessions'

by NoTalentHack

Sort by:
  • 292 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

All unauthorized versions get a one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

While I believe "delusional narcissist" is a reasonable excuse, I don't think it is the only possibility. The original story was filled with many, many options for interpretations and I think that was one of the reasons so many people commented and wrote follow-up stories. They wanted to put their spin on it in some manner. I didn't really enjoy your version as the format wasn't great and anyone needing THAT many sessions with a shrink becomes a really ill person seemingly uncapable of moving - either backward or forward. Just wasn't that interesting. Sorry. Well-written, but try something new next time.

wolftrapwolftrapover 1 year ago

In the top 3 for me

A more realistic analysis that bypasses the usual Martian Slut Ray theme (although I doubt a counsellor could be that straightforward :-) )

Well done NTH 5* from me.

VeracityHeterodyneVeracityHeterodyneover 1 year ago

Yes, I did enjoy it. I also concluded that Linda had a flawed personality. The only deviation I have with your story is that if Linda was that flawed, she could not be a good mother. Sorry, you have to get the kids away from her, or they are doomed.

Gmann006Gmann006over 1 year ago

I'm glad you decided to write again . I'm about to read some more of your stuff. I hope it's good as this

Tx77TumbleweedTx77Tumbleweedover 1 year ago

This is probably the best thing you have written so far, as much because of your explanation of the thought process (or lack thereof) of the characters involved as the actual story ending you provided. This is the first ending that, given a reading by other writers, might encourage them to just let this story END.

Bebop3Bebop3over 1 year ago

Another excellent story.

WetheNorthWetheNorthover 1 year ago
A needed viewpoint

I suspect that you have a background in psychology.

You give me a little confidence in counselors.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A very accurate analysis of why the original is so provocative in a bad way and why so many have taken a swipe at providing an alternate ending. And I think you're sequel may be the best of the sequels that I have read, not just because you nail why the story is bothersome but because you do so by fitting your insights into a believable story format. Jim goes from being pathetic to taking back his life. 5***** . Thanks and keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Thanks for sharing...

Very enjoyable & well thought through. 5*

servant111servant111over 1 year ago

Thoroughly enjoyed this s one. It is necessarily explication but frankly finally puts the entire February Sucks train into the final station. Linda is simply the most heinous destructive entitled princess sociopathic train wreck on this site. She is so toxic that reconciliation is simply an oxymoron. What I enjoyed most about this one is the clear explication. We, as readers, sit at Jim’s elbow while his counselors provide common sense analysis and clearly worded truth.

It is at heart a commentary framed as a story. After over a hundred of the over the top

Convoluted add ons i find the injection of common sense analysis into this mess refreshing. I also find the absence of any of the self serving wining Linda dialogue also welcome. Frankly in the cold reality of the real world, Linda contributes only noise not clarity. There is simply no way to redeem any of the characters that February Sucks train wreck.

So thanks to NoTalentHack for bringing final closure to this effort

5 stars

SwordWielderSwordWielderover 1 year ago

Very good. The one loose string you failed to tie up is what he did with his old ex-friends, and especially LW. I wonder what would happen to LW's reputation when word of what he did get out. Maybe being an interfering old coot wouldn't cause him any harm, but then again...

woodwardwoodwardover 1 year ago

Another great effort. Jim's situation was a real shit show.

MightyheartMightyheartover 1 year ago

Sorry, but it was boring.

Didn't work for me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Goddammit! I’ve been hoping to keep my version in the top ten by ratings. This piece is version 107, by my count. Currently, my FS is holding on at number 8 or 9. But fuck! This is so well constructed and so well written, that I’d give it a 20* if that was possible. Turning the male therapist into a human with his own man card was genius. Taking all the knives that were cast into Jim in the original story and forcing dialogue with common sense folk about them was also a great idea, and you made all those convos realistic - like what normal people would tell Jim - not the maniacs he was formerly surrounded with.

Very, very well done!!

If I was to find just a minuscule criticism, it’s that you have a bunch of long paragraphs, that should be broken up when and where the idea or concept changes plus places where there is definitely a need to start a new paragraph. It would also make your story easier to read, both on computer or smart device.

Cookingwithgas

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

5 stars for this story; as for Anderson's story, she still gets a 2, and I'm being generous.

matuateneiramatuateneiraover 1 year ago

A brilliant continuation of George Anderson's story. The analysing of the personality of Linda, and the interactions with Ellen and L W were all very credible to me. This gave me great enjoyment and satisfaction to read. This is one of the best continuations I have read. I always enjoy a version like this where events lead to an eventual divorce.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

5 stars! Great addition to the story in a logical fashion.

The analysis of the original story is insightful and gives rise to a catching hook for this story. I hope that other people take a view like this for future versions (though I'd also welcome a RAAC based on this analysis).

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great ending,

Ed

skruff101skruff101over 1 year ago

Just imagine if GA’s story ended with Jim doing the right thing with a divorce as soon as Linda came back. There would be a couple of pluses we could all have benefitted from, firstly it would have been a whole lot shorter (yippee), but the icing on the cake would have been over a hundred less stories about the idiot and his wife.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

10/10 for having the patience to continue writing this rubbish till the end

0/10 for me being stupid enough to get to the end (though I did skip most of it)

TajfaTajfaover 1 year ago

Loved this. I'll now need to start on your other stories as you write really well. 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Interesting.

But I wish all you writters would stop tyrng to improve on February Sucks. The story is one of my great stories Iread over and over again. I beg Lit to stop publishing any more please. It destroying such a good story February Sucks.

BlackJackSteeleBlackJackSteeleover 1 year ago

Another great read.

Thank you, NTH.

I particularly enjoyed the analytics. Don't you just wish would open up; even if only once in while.

5/5.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Whole lot of boring!! 3*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Bravo. One of the better continuations to a frustratingly addictive original. A very realistic take on the whole drama and well dissected from a psychological aspect. As many others, I find the original well written and emotionally draining. On my first reading I new the ending didn’t sit well with me, and only after further returns did I start to see how evil Linda’s character really is. Author did a great job peeling back the onion layers of Jim’s betrayals.

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 1 year ago

Two things.

"Although, in some ways, I suppose he kind of did me a favor. I look back at how Linda treated me, and it really was shitty for a long time. Yeah, him picking her out of a crowd and fucking her is... well, let's just say he absolutely deserved what he got. But I also probably would have lived out the rest of my life with that bitch."

That statement perfect highlights what was missing from the first one because you are right, the original story wasn't realistic. It wasn't realistic at all. I agree with you that elements could be but not in the totality. I suppose that is why I take umbrage when others argue how wonderful the first story was.

George went to lengths to portray the marriage as perfect and that what Linda did could be viewed as reasonable. Together I do not believe that is possible unless the perfect marriage was a delusion. Your story deconstructed that delusion and offered a counterpoint, an explanation both for why Jim might have believed his marriage was perfect and why Linda might show so much callous disregard.

I agree the original is nightmare fuel. That alone doesn't make it a great story. Divisive, infuriating, thought provoking.. sure. Most people do react to gaslighting and that story seemed intent to convince the reader that the emperor has no clothes... or rather, that well adjusted women who love and respect their husbands would publicly humiliate and emasculate them in order to cheat with a celebrity if given the right chance. Its the how of it. I call bullshit

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I've seen your name come up on quite a few stories I've enjoyed now. I like your take on this too. I would very much like to hear this story from Linda's perspective.

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 1 year ago

Oh, in case I wasn't clear enough, I really enjoyed this. It's probably the setting but some of your conclusions were solid. Not sure I equate sex with Mark (and all the events surrounding it) with seeking a specialist. That's um... out there. Narcissism and arrogance are more than enough.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I thought this was an absolutely brilliant ending, one of the best that has been written, with a certain logic. Most others don't manage that logic. The only thing that seems to get left out is the fact that there is the possibility of the wife and ML actually having some sort of relationship. It was in the original.

Just_John1Just_John1over 1 year ago

Thank you notalent,

I think you nailed it. I’ve read a lot of endings for George’s story, written a few myself but couldn’t really put a point on the feelings this story raises so I never published them. A few of the endings are pathetic, a few are overly macho but few of them really deal with the emotions of having read George’s story. I think the reason you espoused behind Linda’s betrayal is as plausible as can be written.

I appreciate your well thought out dissertation of the emotions involved. The ending is perfect, like when April comes and the weather gets warm with the sun shining. I can put George’s story in my past. Glad to see you back.

Just_John1

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Out of what feels like thousands of versions that have been since the original, I think this is the only one that stays true to the characters George created.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

best ending of the series EVER!!!

everyone who read that story can tell they was no way for them back

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

There's no denying that you're very good with words. Having read your previous submissions, I was not surprised to read in your preface your admission of prior experience with creative writing.

My first observation is that you're probably going to read the word "psychobabble" a few times when you look at reader comments left for this story. And rightly so, to my way of thinking. Because there's a lot of it. Quite frankly, there's almost nothing but that in the text itself. So, despite your evident capabilities for writing it, I think you'll find that many of the readers (in this forum) will not be greatly appreciative of that particular talent. Expect their comments to reflect that.

But, you've skillfully woven your "implied" story between the lines, so to speak, of your clinical text, in a way that is unusual to see here. And, by not figuratively "beating the reader over the head with it", you have probably managed to avoid most of the flamethrower comments that I have seen posted for sequel stories in this thread.

Bottom line, you have done a better job with your sequel to this generally unpalatable topic than most writers

that have attempted it. Good work!

demanderdemanderover 1 year ago

I can't really read the February story any more. It gets me upset every time. I killed a guy because I was angry after reading it. (Hah! Joke. Joke, I swear.) But your continuation seems right on. Linda musta been an only child, eh? In real life - my life long ago - something like that happened, but I stopped it. The guy was smaller than I was. Still everyone knew what would have happened if I hadn't come inside just then. 5/5. D

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Absolutely by far and away the best sequel of February Sucks by GA. Also the most realistic given how the original was written. I glad it motivated you back into creative writing again because i have enjoyed all yours you published! 5* and wish i could go higher.

On a side note, you should consider changing your publishing name from NTH to VTH (Very Talented Hack). Thanks and keep the stories continuing.

jasonnhjasonnhover 1 year ago

'You'd be amazed how often we mistake where pain is happening for why pain is happening.'

An elegant and stunningly true observation. When things go bad in our lives, we are surprisingly willing to blame ourselves. We have been told that we can't change others. We can only change ourselves. SO, we look at ourselves to see how we screwed up. And, often we do have some ownership of the problems we face.

However, there are many times where someone else is the source of the problem and there is little we could have done to prevent things from going badly. In fact, as in this case, Jim was "too good" of a husband. Because his wife was screwed up, his normally good actions ended up enabling her delusional thinking. It's hard to see someone that you are close to as a "bad" or very weak person. We often make the mistake of thinking that if we just support them better all will be well. But for many people, that just isn't true and Jim finally sees this. His pain is happening because Linda is NOT a good wife and is a troubled, unstable person. He makes the smart realization that she has damaged their relationship so badly that it cannot be repaired. She needs help but it is impossible for HIM to provide it any longer, even if he wanted to. Meanwhile, enlightened and freed of the burden of a flawed relationship, he can move past it.

I loved the counselors, well grounded and rational. I loved the schadenfreude of Marc's leg getting smashed. Best of all, I loved Jim's transition from a beaten man to a transcendent person, wiser and happy. He didn't need to destroy Linda, just hold her justifiably accountable for her actions and free himself from an unworkable relationship.

It's nice that Linda "recognizes" her behavior was wrong. Not all people are are capable of that. But it wasn't needed for Jim's transition to his new life. Linda could have remained nasty but it would no longer have been Jim's burden to bear.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very good attempt at making sense of the air of unreality in the original story. Thank you for this well-written contribution. Everybody complains about yet another sequel, but we all read them, don’t we? This was one of the best.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

good version, agree with your thoughts about how terrible Linda and Dee were. Don't agree Linda would be a good co-parent or good anything that didn't involve her getting what she wants. Kids without a husband are way more work than a person like her would be willing to do.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Your stories started out with a flurry of encouragement but have since become tedious. If you have to revert to the tired, worn out, and basically crappy format of February sucks for something to write, you're in trouble. Sadly you seem all too willing to validate the moniker you've chosen, No Talent Hack, I won't bother with anything else you write.

BigfundrewBigfundrewover 1 year ago

Good job. Certainly one of the most realistic continuations of that now famous story.

kiteareskitearesover 1 year ago

One of the best follow ups to FS thanks.

OaksfineOaksfineover 1 year ago

This is one of the best aftermath stories I’ve read so far where Jim actually gets to tell his side of the story and how thing’s really work in life. Glad he got closure and found out that Linda was always self absorbed before it got too far down the road. Glad this one he turned out happy and healthy and Linda got some Karma just wish karma befell the friends who helped her. Could be another spinoff to this one

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Too much psychological reasoning made the story sluggish and tougher to read. Intensity and conflict would have kept the story moving.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Just very uninteresting. Yeah some info but being done so many times before requires something to keep our interest. Nice dialog but its just dialog nothing happens.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A very unusual sequel to February Sucks. Good job. Please keep writing!!

CriosCriosover 1 year ago

Another great story. Definitely a plausible ending as well as a plausible reason for Linda doing what she did. Calls out the massive manipulation his "friends" and wife undertake to shove the betrayal down his throat. Thanks for writing!

phill1cphill1cover 1 year ago

I think any "story" that doesn't include Linda's POV is pretty much already been done to death. Even the Linda-centered stories are poor--mostly because it's clear non of the authors whose stories I've read seem to have any insight on the female POV, just as much as the original story's author didn't.

CUCK because he had to go to therapy and still hadn't divorced the slut.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Damn…but does this author “get it”. Not only does he craft an excellent follow on to GA’s impossible story…but he explains his thinking in an Afterword that precisely describes why the story is what it is: the Linda character and her behavior are only explainable in, as he notes, for “Martian Slut Ray characters”. So any attempt to write a sequel to the original story as GA wrote it can only attempt to deal with Jim trying to deal with, again as this author notes, the actions of a “delusional narcissist”.

.

NoTalentHack has to be one of the best new additions to contributing authors at this Site this year. Hands down. Here’s hoping he continues to reward us readers with more of his writing.

.

5 *****

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

When I first saw the story title, I thought "Not another one". Thank you for diving into the pits, so to speak, and providing a possible way through the mystery.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

One of the best. A rare five stars.

DontPanic442DontPanic442over 1 year ago

Great story! Thank you.

Regguy69Regguy69over 1 year ago

Has to be the most in-depth look at the craziness that ruled Linda’s world and enabled her to perpetrate the most heinous of offenses. The level of narcissism she embodied was mind blowing.

Thanks for the tutorial, NTH. Really enjoyed that.

mainer42mainer42over 1 year ago

Glad to have you back in the folder. Well written, understandable, and actually taught me a few things about my life and past/current/future relationships

Buster2UBuster2Uover 1 year ago

NTH Wow, Another Great Story Ending to Feb Sucks. I love this premise as it is Like the Kobayashi Maru that Capt. James T Kirk had to face. A "No Win" situation that brings up a variety of emotions. Great Ending, a Great plot, So emotional. NTH thanks for getting back into writing. The Great George Anderson story is a masterpiece, I have read as many of the alternated endings as I can, and find them all interesting takes. Including my own version where Jim was an Outlaw Biker. LOL Good Job NTH I hope you continue to write more. Thanks 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

NoTalentHack, at least your name is appropriate.

BoxerR100BoxerR100over 1 year ago

When I read one of your first stories, I thought that you clearly had some writing talent. The more I read your stuff, that became evident. After this story, and you notes at the end, It made sense to me. You are a gifted writer. Thank you for sharing your talent.

Rw43Rw43over 1 year ago

This is a rare no-sex 5-star story to me.

<>

Your material has improved the board immeasurably because you're not afraid to deal with difficult perspectives. All of us may quibble with you occasionally, but you would have a higher +/- rating than almost any other 'rookie' if such an analytic existed.

<>

I'm glad you worked it out so that even Linda had a positive path going forward. Too much creativity is invested in the fantasy of seeing "bad" people punished in demonstrably measurable terms in this lifetime.

KaeyoKaeyoover 1 year ago

Nice. You made the people involved in this nightmare human again, and not the cartoons they had become in far too many of the sequels. Was Jim a SuperRangerNinjaSeal? Nope. Was Linda insane? Not really, but she did have issues. Very nicely done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You’re a breath of fresh air here. Bravo!

BrentJWBrentJWover 1 year ago

I’m sick of reading these sequels but I read this one because I knew NTH would bring something interesting to it. Glad I did.

Frank66Frank66over 1 year ago

An absolute and clear 5, wish Lit would bump their system up to 10 point grading- this would be a 10. I've been working something up in my head for over a year, my rendition on Feb Sucks, but am going to cancel it. This IS the defining work on follow-ups to that remarkable story. Still think 012say's version, the Two Notes, is the best, but this has the most plausible reason for Linda doing what she did. Congrats, and thanks.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 1 year ago

What is "shewn?" I've heard of "hewed," which in this context would mean stayed close to the original.

\

My problem with ALL of the versions goes back to the original. It takes ALL of my suspension of disbelief that not only would a loving, faithful wife PUBLICLY walk away from her husband without a backwards glance, with the definite intent of having sex with a virtual stranger, but would expect that her husband would accept it, welcome her back, and that life would then go on as usual. If I'm to accept the wife's actions, then whatever follows has to be realistic in SOME way. For ME, that means, as a starting point that the husband CAN'T accept it. That doesn't mean it has to be BTB, or that there can't be a reconciliation, but a RAAC is off the table, and any reconciliation will be hard to earn. On to the story!

\

"Your home is broken. And, honestly? It seems like it's broken you." - Well said.

\

"Yeah, after your wife had already fucked another man!" - This is one of the things that bugged me about the original, the attempt to equate what he ALMOST did to what Linda actually DID! Even if he did spend the night with Ellen, who was a set-up, BTW, it could be seen as a response to what Linda did. We can never know if he would have cheated with Ellen if Linda hadn't already cheated.

\

"I know he hurt you, but he was a perfect gentleman to me" - He hurt your husband, yet you fucked him, and he was a perfect gentleman to you because he wanted to fuck you.

\

So, because he'd hire a professional to do the things he couldn't do or do as well, she thought that he'd accept her having a night with an expert lover?! She's beyond delusional, she's clinically insane.

\

Your epilog brings me back to what I said in the beginning: George is an excellent writer, but my problem is that there were too many "ANDS." It stretched the bounds of credulity to the breaking point.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The original February Sucks story sucks. Your sequel isn’t any better.

GeojimGeojimover 1 year ago

I let done. You brought us to the only realistic outcome and did it in a believable way. 5 stars.

LWLover60LWLover60over 1 year ago

Well written. A very realistic take on how it happen and it's ultimate conclusion. Jim a giver and Linda a taker. I can relate.

ReadyOneReadyOneover 1 year ago

Excellent theory of why it happened. I've only seen one other that came close to explaining the inexplicable. Thank you!

6yrsofhell6yrsofhellover 1 year ago

One of the best conclusions to that story! Great job! Bravo!

LenardSpencerLenardSpencerover 1 year ago

The quality of your writing is fine. The actual story... not so much. Let's face it: as originally written, Jim was completely PATHETIC. A weak and spineless man. A doormat. Any "normal" man would have taken that stupid friggen Blue dress down the back yard, poured petrol on it and burnt the damn thing. Not pussyfooted around it then have a breakdown/panic attack when she wore it again.

Practically every action of Jim's from original (I've read most of the 100 or so different finishes) indicates weakness. So YES he was pathetic.

Russ43ChandlerRuss43Chandlerover 1 year ago

I like the psychology approach to solving personal problem problems that leave me with closure. Loved it and welcome back. Hope to read more of your work.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I like your dissection at the end, and it inspires me to give my internet nobody’s two cents on what never rang true for me.

The “hypnotized by attractiveness”. Both times. It was nuts, but swallowable, when Linda fell victim with absolutely no discernible build up. But then it went off the rails with Ellen and Jim. I mean, Jim was mired in the bullshit of infidelity… and then does it himself without a seconds hesitation?

That was always the spoiler of an otherwise engaging tale for me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

ONE STAR

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The female narcissist is the true personification of a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Their self-focus and obsession with themselves blinds them to the realities of life and the needs of other people. The key to combating psychological manipulation is to avoid falling into the trap of defending yourself with logic and reason, and see the narcissist’s behavior for what it is: pure manipulation. Just as you should never argue with a drunk, it’s a waste of time to argue with a narcissist.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

one of the best ending to the story

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year ago

Excellent story 5***** all the way! I think you may have come up with the first plausible explanation for the wife's behavior. Of course, it downplays her ability to inflict pain assuming that he will get over it. Lovers don't do that. But I think the author did a masterful job. Great writing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I really enjoyed your insight.

JRandyJJRandyJover 1 year ago

A different approach, I liked it. A lot of the readers complain about all of the writers who have added their conclusion to this Story. To those people, Don't read them. I do like the ones with Jim leaving Linda and the Asshole gets personal with Karma. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good writing to show how fucked up it all was. However, now that he understands, what is he going to do about it?!? Sharing custody is not good enough. He should use the letter, and therapist reports to get full custody, and a permanent restraining order so that she can’t interfere with him, or the kids. Frankly, she needs to be institutionalized.

He should try to find ways to punish, and make suffer, all the people who hurt him: the slut wife, the player, the so called friends, LW, and yes, even the escort.

The most important thing is to make sure that the kids grow up with good morals and ethics. Ensure they understand that what their mother did was heinous.

ZK

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A decent ending to the original pile of shit, especially for not changing any of the original, but it was a struggle reading it to get there.

Then, you had to go and kiss the shit pile, which dropped the rating of your story. You are right about the original story being a nightmare, which makes you delusional to turn around and call it wonderful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Brilliantly done! This has to be one of the best written sequels written, would I have enjoyed a little more BTB or pain for the other characters, but his taped into an source that’s never really written about. For all the haters out there get over it. 5 stars

Wavedave45Wavedave45over 1 year ago

Usually I only skim these stories but this had me hooked. When he came to the realization about their group of friends I was sort of surprised because I came to a similar realization about mine a few years ago. After cutting ties I'm overall more chill and positive.

PowersworderPowersworderover 1 year ago

I'm not sure I bought the psychological explanation for why Linda cheated.

I think the simpler explanation is that she was an incredibly selfish narcissist, who decided to fuck Marc because she wanted to, and knew her doormat husband would forgive her. However, Linda's total lack of empathy for the heartbroken husband makes me lean more towards her being an undiagnosed sociopath.

-

I liked Jim getting his spine back though, and blowing smoke in Linda's face and telling the cheating whore to stfu was long overdue.

-

I think what stopped this from being a 5* was the lack of any fleshed out dialogue between Jim and Linda. When Jim really started standing up for himself again, I would've loved to have read the conversation with him giving her both barrels. Linda was an arrogant bitch and somebody needed to crush her massively inflated ego.

Pinto931Pinto931over 1 year ago

I felt that there were parts of the story missing linking the original to this ending. A bit like watching a TV series but missing an episode in the middle. I felt it also needed input from other people not just the MC and 2 therapists. The psycho babble from Liz was just babble.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I’m impressed. Story as nightmare insightful. I didn’t care for the original story as I couldn’t get past how unrealistic Linda’s abandonment at the club seemed given their relationship. Not to mention LW and the rest of it. I think you get the Best Finish award.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I want to assure you, author, that your writing skills in no way correspond to the handle you have given yourself. This was, quite simply brilliant. It was very therapeutic as well; I'm still traumatised by having read the original 'February Sucks' and this goes a long way towards helping me recover from that nightmare. Thanks again and 5 stars a;; the way!

UnassignedUnassignedover 1 year ago

Another absolutely outstanding story, and impeccably crafted. I'm grateful that that GeorgeAnderson (damn it George, why do you have to pace your output like that other George, R. R. Martin!) inspired you to return to writing.

.

That said, I'm not sure that your version of Linda is completely in sync with the original. The story wouldn't have been as compelling, not the nightmare you so accurately describe, if she'd been the narcissist-or-worst that your analyst describes. As portrayed by GA (and if memory serves), she really was a good person, good wife

UnassignedUnassignedover 1 year ago

Sorry, hit submit by accident . . . Linda was portrayed as a good wife, but since the story was told through Jim's viewpoint, perhaps it was rose-colored-glasses syndrome. Still, nothing that GA wrote hinted at the years of mistreatment you mention, so that was a bit of a disconnect for me.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989over 1 year ago

Tried to read it but found myself skimming over a lot. They ending up getting a divorce and the multiple doctors got richer. 59 sessions-?

BigBlueKatBigBlueKatover 1 year ago

One of the best and most thought provoking endings. 5/5

Grant_GlapsvidhrsonGrant_Glapsvidhrsonover 1 year ago

This was fantastic and your analysis regarding the nightmare quality seems spot on!

silentsoundsilentsoundover 1 year ago

Good breakdown and the only problems I had with the original was not acknowledging what a true piece of shit Linda is, as written, and how pathetic everyone around, including the hapless hubby, behaved about it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great take. I've read several rewrites/alt endings to this tale, but this is the first one where it's mentioned that his leaving with Ellen was without a doubt influenced by Linda having already fucked another man in what may be the coldest way she could have. I've never been a fan of the "stay for the children" thing being that children who grow up in a two-parent household model future relationships off of their parents. So staying in situations such as this would most likely do more harm than good.

kirei8kirei8over 1 year ago

A very thoughtful, rational way of looking at this "problem with no solution". It would satisfy most reader's carnal appetite for an ending to the story. I gave it 4 of 5 stars. It would have been 5 if there had been just that little bit of payback before the divorce, with or without blood, for all guilty parties.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Boring, boring ,boring!

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 1 year ago

Fantastic! You added depth to GA’s original, without changing or embellishing any of his details.

Your angle gave Jim the support he needed, to see the events in a broader context, and the ability to see it from an outside observer’s POV. The important aspect, is that you brought what seemed like minor, overlooked details in the original, into focus as serious contributing factors.

Sure, it takes a strong man to forgive, and/or work through betrayal. I don’t belittle that unselfishness at all. But it’s not usually healthy for the people involved.

As far as being an ending? Excellent. I don’t think any of the anonymous cowards can argue that your ending gives closure.

muskyboymuskyboyover 1 year ago

"God, I was pathetic." Even blaming the husband for 10% is ridiculous. This story is unsalvageable and you should have just left it alone. At this point it taints all the authors trying to resurrect and rationalize it much more than improving or explaining such a horrible story. The psychological basis for Linda's action or Jim's reactions just doesn't matter, it's just picking the scab of a horrid story needlessly.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Authentically a different approach to the events of George Anderson's story February Sucks.

Most of the other "re-writings" of the George Anderson's original ending left me either seething with anger or disappointment. BTB's are certainly all right as a standard response to "cheating wives" stories but don't require much thought--just the variation on the route the new writer uses as a mechanism to make it happen. RAAC's engender the same psychological response with again, the only plot issue being how to facilitate the "all is forgiven" or at least "we'll work through it for our kids' sake or "because we really, really do love each other".

Not "dissing" those writers who took either path with their version of the tale, for those took imagination and discipline to take from their mind to the printed page as well, and ANYONE who manages that deserves credit for their accomplishment. It's just that NOTALENTHACK put this story together with an analysis of the key players that was both believable and functional in working out the loose ends once the dust settled.

So kudos for that and thank you for a return jaunt through a great story. More please.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This comment is not aimed at this particular writer. There are som very very talented writers on this site. I, personally, have had enough with regard to February sucks. I am NOT a writer, but I wish the very talented writers here would use their considerable skills on new and different stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Easily the best follow up to the original story. Well done.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userNoTalentHack@NoTalentHack
If you want to use one of my characters in your story or write an unofficial sequel or prequel or side story to one of my stories, please feel free to do so. I only ask a few things of you: 1. Credit me as the originator of the character/story. 2. DO NOT monetize it. This in...