February Sucks: Tommy's Birthday

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then a couple of days later driving Linda back to their house, Dave doing the driving while Dee sat in the back with Linda. The hospital psychiatrist had said that Linda shouldn't be alone so Dee volunteered to stay with her. They'd sent Linda home with some pretty strong sedatives; she was not going to be in any shape to take care of herself for a few days.

Dave had visited Jim in jail every day; Jim seemed to be doing fine. He had told Dave that the cops were treating him reasonably well; he had been placed in a single cell on suicide watch. But Jim told Dave that he was giving them no trouble and spent his time reading a cheap novel one of the cops had given him. Dave was going to represent Jim, this was by far the biggest criminal case he'd ever had, and his first murder. And of course the publicity was through the roof.

The shooting was all over social media before they even got Lavalliere into the body bag. The whole thing was generating huge numbers; the incident had been recorded by no less than 8 neighbors. One of the younger guys had actually live streamed the whole thing from start to finish with colorful commentary.

The news media was doing everything they could to get an interview with either Jim or Linda, they interviewed all the neighbors. It was chaos up to and including the arraignment.

Dave had been nervous about the arraignment, not sure exactly how Jim was going to be. Mentally he seemed fine, but he'd killed a man in cold blood. That surely had twisted him somehow, if he hadn't already been unhinged from the night before.

They had agreed that they would plead not guilty and then figure out their real strategy once the trial date had been set. And so it went, District Judge Sandersen read the charges, Jim spoke his plea, and the judge remanded him back into custody. She commented that the crime was such that Jim posed a threat to the community; and so back into solitary suicide watch he went. We had a month to prepare our case. Oh yea, she ordered a psych evaluation too.

Back in the present, Dave took another sip of the highball and let it's warmth spread throughout him. Thirty years! It had gone by in a flash. He chuckled once again at his wife; Dee had done a complete 180 during her stay with Linda after she got home from the hospital. What had been a fantasy, an escape from reality, had quickly turned into a horror. Any thoughts she'd had about what a wonderful night with Lavalliere could have been like were smashed by the events of that Saturday.

Dee had become Dave's rock, and mothered Linda for weeks. Although Dave hadn't really been burdened too much. Yes a murder trial was a huge undertaking, but Jim didn't really want to fight the charges. He said he'd 'done the crime, now he'd do the time'. Dave had argued that they needed to present a case to keep Jim off of death row. There were legitimately circumstances that needed to be taken into consideration. The facts of the case were clear of course, there were eight different views of the event recorded on the neighbors phones.

It was at the end of the first week during Dave's daily visit that Jim had said, "They may call me a killer, a murderer, but I don't see it that way. When you are confronted with a rabid dog, you don't pet it, comfort it or try to cure it. No sir. You put a gun between its eyes and you put a bullet in its head. In my mind, Lavalliere was a rabid dog, a predator that needed to be taken out permanently. I did that, and as far as I'm concerned my conscience is clear."

Dave had not been idle, his preparation for the preliminary hearing was solid, and the recounting of the events of Friday was core to the defense. But a surprising thing had happened, phone calls started coming in from husbands of wives Lavalliere had similarly corrupted. Jim's actions had struck a chord, these wronged men wanted to come forward; to help Jim in some way. By the morning of the pretrial Dave had the names of eighteen men who wanted to come forward and add their story.

And then the biggest surprise of all, the DA wanted to meet to discuss a deal. They offered life with the possibility of parole after 25 years. The DA didn't want this thing to go to trial, there was too much of the wrong kind of publicity and he couldn't figure out a way to make political hay with it. Better to get Jim behind bars as fast as possible and get on with the rest of their lives. So that's how it went down.

But Dee came through again; she suggested they do something about the rights to the story. Maybe a book deal or a movie, there was that much interest. And with the names of those other husbands, they could really flesh out the story. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. Dave put together a trust to hold the proceeds from the story for Linda and the kids to live on. Linda was not going to be able to go back to work for a long time, her mental state was just too fragile. After the dust settled they were set for life. Jim was sent upstate to begin his sentence.

---

Dee was in a reflective mood too. She knew Dave's flight didn't get in until later in the evening, which gave her plenty of time for her yearly ritual - lunch with Linda.

It was a poignant event; they had grown so much closer over the years. Although they had grown in different directions. Dee had parlayed her Marketing skills into working for the RLT from its inception. Heck, it was her idea to capitalize on the public interest to secure the book and movie deals. Now as Dave was retiring she was also making plans to step back, let the next generation take the Foundation into the future.

Linda on the other hand had been drastically changed in a different manner. She never regained the energy or bubbliness she'd had 'Before Marc'. Hah, BM - that was a fitting moniker for the shit show that night turned out to be. No, Linda had become different, quieter in some ways, kookier in others, but definitely eccentric. She was almost like Aunt Clara from the old Bewitched TV show. Not quite aligned with the real world. But still lovable, and mostly harmless.

While Dee had become Linda's de-facto guardian, and had become ever more enmeshed in the Foundation, Linda had gone back to her bookkeeping job part-time after a year's convalescence and therapy. The advance from the book deal, and then later the movie rights meant that Linda and the kids were good financially. Heck there were still royalties coming in after all these years. Thirty long years.

Linda had retired a couple of years ago; the Foundation was taking care of her so she really hadn't needed to work for quite some time. Now she mostly puttered around the garden in the compound. Hah, 'the compound'. It was really just four houses, all sharing one common back yard. Since two houses faced one street, and the other two faced to opposite street they'd been able to have separate entrances and live relatively separate lives. Although her and Dave's two kids and Tommy and Emma had grown up with the one huge yard to play in.

Linda's original house had been the anchor, and they'd added the other three houses as they became available. It had been a novel arrangement. Dee wasn't sure anymore who had first suggested it. The first one, right behind Linda and Jim's, was where Dave and Dee had moved to. Emma moved into the third when she got married, and Tommy into the fourth when he and Shelly got hitched.

"Hi Linda, I'm en route and should be there in about ten minutes."

"Hi Dee, great. I'm really looking forward to lunch today."

Once they were seated and lunch orders placed Linda called for Mimosa's.

"What the occasion Linda?"

"Dee, I've been reflecting these last couple of days about our friendship. You have been more than a friend to me, you stayed with me right after that night, and you were there for me while I was recovering. It was a whole year before I went back to work. You and Dave moved into the house behind ours just so you could be close and make sure we were ok."

"Don't forget Linda, it worked out pretty good for me and Dave too. With you only working part time, and after Dave took down the back fence, we had a built in day care for all four kids. You made that all possible. We all saved a bundle."

"Whose idea was that anyway? No matter, doing that gave me a purpose while Jim was away. Looking after the children helped me keep my sanity. What was left of it anyway. And now I get to help with Tommy and Emma's kids too. I have all my family about me. Except Jim, of course." Linda got a bit misty eyed at the mention of Jim. She still missed him, and in her way never let go of the hope that he'd come home someday.

"Anyway, back to what I was saying. I've been reflecting on all the good you have done for me. I can't imagine the sacrifices you had to make, the effort you had to put into helping me. I wanted to say out loud how much I appreciate it. How grateful I am to have such a friend, such a good friend like you." Linda raised her glass and they both took sips. Linda got up and came around the table to give Dee a hug. The two women embraced and Linda whispered to Dee a thank you.

After Linda had gone back to her seat, "Wow Linda, I had thought we'd be having a normal mundane lunch, but first Mimosa's, then a speech, and now a hug. I really feel special now."

"I have two more things to talk about. I asked Dave not to mention this to you; I wanted to give you the news myself. Jim is coming home. The Governor has commuted Jim's sentence, he'll be a free man as soon as all the paperwork is done.

Dee's hands went to her mouth and she got teary right away. "I knew Tommy and Dave have been lobbying the Governor for a few years, I didn't know they had made so much progress. When did all this happen?"

"They upped their campaign with the Governor in the months leading up to the big rally. I guess his son being an RLT Regional Director really helped too."

A serious look came over Dee's face, "Where will Jim be staying when he gets out. I know you've always hoped he'd come home, but now that it's for real where is your head at?"

"I want Jim home, sleeping in his own bed, his arms wrapped around me." Linda started really crying then, it seemed as though the reality was finally hitting home. Saying the words out loud to Dee made it seem more real than she had ever hoped.

"Oh Linda, it's all right. Let it out. I know we talked about this before. Did you discuss this with Jim?" Dee could tell Linda's tears were happy one's although she did seem genuinely anxious.

"Yes, Jim called me himself to tell me the news. We only had a short call that time, but I blurted out right away that I wanted him home with me. Do you think I assumed too much? Jim was really happy on the phone and he seemed to like the idea of coming home to our house."

"That's great, I know you've carried on the best relationship you could given the circumstances. What has you worried?"

"Dee, what if he doesn't want me. Just look at me, I'm a gramma now. When Jim went to prison we were both young and pretty. Now I'm old and fat." This seemed to open the floodgates again.

'Oh, honey. Two dress sizes up from where you were back then doesn't make you fat. Besides you've been visiting Jim regularly, he knows what you look like. He's grown older too. Maybe he's unsure about how you'll be looking at him. Did you ever think about that?"

"Dee, this is the other thing I wanted to talk to you about. You know there hasn't been anybody since Jim went to prison. After I came out of my funk and started going to therapy back then, I realized I had no sex drive any more. Literally the last man I was with was Marc, what if Jim still holds that against me somehow? I don't know how to be a wife again; I've been on my own for all these years. You know what I'm talking about right? What if Jim wants me but my lady parts don't work anymore." Linda was a bit calmer but she was still shedding tears.

"We all have to make adjustments as we get older. Dave and I don't have as much sex as we used to. It's natural for things to slow down. Your situation is unique, but if you're open and honest you should be alright. You should take it slow; find out where Jim's head is at. I mean the one on his shoulders." They both got a little laugh at that. That small innuendo seemed to lighten the mood.

"We did talk about taking it slow. Jim said he wanted to sleep in the second bedroom at first and then see how things go. I don't know Dee; I've built up such expectations for his coming home that I'm finding it hard to be practical. I want my husband back where he belongs, not down the hall in another bed."

Dee could only pat Linda's hand and let her cry it out. It seemed like her friend needed her one more time in her journey.

---

Jim looked around at the gray walls of what had been his abode for all these years. He wondered not for the first time how he would adjust to being on the outside.

All his possessions were in two boxes at his feet. He had put on the street clothes Tommy had brought him at his last visit. All that remained was for him to be escorted out the gate. Tommy and Dave would be driving him to the airport and then be with him for the flight home. Home, now there was a word whose meaning had changed for him. These gray walls had never been home, even though he had adorned them with pictures of his kids, and later their spouses, and finally grandchildren. Now those pictures were lovingly packed in those two boxes.

Linda had promised that she hadn't changed the house much, he would be coming home to a house that looked pretty much as he last seen it all those years ago. They had discussed living arrangements recently when news of his commutation was confirmed. Jim was unsure of what to expect, or how he'd react to living with Linda again. They agreed that he could have the second bedroom while they figured out what was going to happen.

Jim chuckled at the thought that he was not the same man who'd entered the prison. No, he was much older, hopefully wiser and for sure a whole lot more relaxed. It had taken him years to come to terms with what had put him behind bars. Time and distance had dimmed those events; the emotion had long since faded. He had not so much forgiven Linda as he had relegated the experience into something that had happened long, long ago.

He smiled at the thought of Linda, how kooky she had become. Now a grandmother, still his wife - she'd never filed for divorce. None of his previous experience of living with her was going to be much of a guide. They had grown comfortable with each other on those monthly visits. They had shared whatever they could of his family's life on the outside. But he did feel very much like a spectator. He'd have to go slowly; it had been a long time. None of the prison routines would be appropriate back home. Yes, home; his real home.

He settled into his seat on the airplane. Everything was so modern; his eyes were filled with the spectacle of so many people, so many things to see on the outside. He only took a diet soft drink; he wanted to remain clear headed. Besides, going without alcohol all these years meant he had no tolerance any more.

"So, Tommy what have you got planned for when we get home. I hope you haven't got some giant party with half the RLT from all over the state."

"Well Dad, we did buy out all the balloons in the area and the brass band did cost a pretty penny. So no, we didn't go too much over the top."

Dave just grunted and took another sip of his highball.

Jim was in a reflective mood. Looking back on his journey to this moment, the early years in prison, Dave dragging him out of his funk with getting the Foundation up and running. Then working remotely with Dave to build a program, he was so grateful that the Warden had allowed Jim to record messages and content for the Foundation. And of course his work inside prison with the inmates who wanted to better themselves. They too had a hand in shaping what the Foundation had become.

Those early days with some of the men who had volunteered to help him at trial were bittersweet. They'd all been cucked by Lavalliere, but they bonded over the pain and began to meet regularly. Dave had forged them into a team and parlayed the early publicity to start a movement. It caught fire all on its own, fueled by men who had had enough. Before they knew it, men in other parts of the country were asking how to start their own RLT chapters. Nothing could hold them back after that.

Now with Tommy at the helm he could truly just sit back and enjoy. But what was he going to do all day? And there would be no enforced routine to put boundaries on his time. He was actually going to be free.

Late that evening after all the guests had left; it was just Dee and Dave sitting with Linda and Jim on the back porch. Jim's hand was sore from shaking with so many well-wishers; he'd hugged what seemed like four hundred people. Tommy had been kidding about the brass band, but otherwise it seemed like anybody and everybody had showed up. The huge backyard had been filled with people all afternoon. Food and drink and kids running around; it was like the Fourth of July. The Governor even called to wish Jim good luck.

"Hell of a party Dave."

"Yup, hell of a party. Dee I'm done in, let's get home. I think it's that way." Dave pointed across the yard to their place.

Dee went to Linda and gave her a hug, and whispered in her ear. "Take it slow."

As they walked down the hall to their respective bedrooms, "Jim, can I have a kiss goodnight?"

Jim and Linda made it about a week. During that week they had their morning coffee together, puttered around the house, they went out to lunch. And in the evening Linda cooked. It wasn't exactly like they remembered, but they were definitely on the same wavelength- comfortable with each other. They talked a lot, about silly things and important things too.

It came as no surprise to Jim that Linda said at the end of that first week, "Jim, it's time you slept in your own bed. I don't want you in the second bedroom any more. I know we gotta take it slow, but we should get started."

It took a bit of arranging, but after pajamas had been put on, and teeth had been brushed; they climbed into bed and snuggled. Jim was on his back just like he always had been in his prison bed. He let out a huge sigh, and with it something deep inside him unclenched; his body and soul relaxed for the first time in so many years. Linda was plastered to his side, one arm and leg wrapped around him. He felt a warmth infuse him and he hugged her back, "Home now."

Linda replied the same, "Home now."

Epilog;

Tommy here: mom and dad made it into their nineties. Dad told me that after that first nite together they literally never slept apart again. Wherever one went the other went too. He also told me that they didn't ever say goodnight, it was always "Home now".

I was the one that found them, they'd gone together overnight. Just like that movie 'The Notebook'. They were in bed wrapped around each other, they looked happy and peaceful.

12