Fiction v Reality

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We gave Mum and Dad the voucher for the week away on a secluded island and it was appreciated by them both. A park and ride system was in place and Dad had been informed that first busload of guests would be arriving soon.

"Dad said you lived up here for a bit."

"Yeah, a few years ago. I moored Serenity in the marina and did a lot of snorkelling around the Reef."

"It sounds idyllic."

"It was until Uncle Nev died suddenly."

"I'm sorry."

"No, I'm happy to be back up here again. I've still got a few clients up here and try to get up several times per year. If I'd planned things better, I should have tacked a few days on this trip."

"I honestly don't know how to thank you for this weekend. I mean, I've had the loveliest time with you. I'll almost be sad when Monday comes around."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but I know, the contract was only until the 16th and it was probably a good idea that you suggested an end date."

Rhys squeezed my shoulder and we both grabbed a glass of sparkling wine when the server came to us.

"Mate!" Boyd grabbed Rhys's hand as he and Emily came towards us, "Gee, she scrubs all right too. I hardly recognised my own sister and thought about hitting on her until I realised who she was."

"My offer from a few weeks ago stands. Emily will get the best legal representation money can't buy."

"Settle down! Did you know her dress has..." Boyd proceeded to slide his hands up inside his wife's gown and rolled his eyes as he fondled her breasts in public. "I am one lucky man, almost as lucky as my new best mate, Rhys! Did he tell you he won Laser Tag; Giles is not happy!"

"It was pure luck."

"Who's got Issy?" I asked.

"Mum's over in the house with her. I gave her a good feed and she should settle soon. You two look so perfect together, it's practically making me cry seeing my best friend so happy after all these years. Sorry, I know it's the hormones, but honestly, you two were made for each other and I'm so glad to have met you this weekend, Rhys. If I had to part with a best friend who had found a new best friend, I'm so glad it's you."

"Thanks, Em, I'm sorry you got lumbered with my stinky brother!" We laughed and I appreciated Rhys's arm around my shoulders. It felt natural and, well, perfect.

The band started up and soon Rhys and I were dancing. He knew all the moves and dancing with him was a pleasure. After a few numbers, he suggested we go and look at the silent auction items and place some bids. A local artist had crafted a glass sculpture of a heart that looked as though it was so full it was bursting. It was called 'Overflowing love' and I took a shine to it at once.

"I don't know what people will pay for it, but it says it's worth $500 so I might just bid that," I mumbled to no one in particular.

"You like it, don't you?" Rhys stood with a hand on my shoulder.

"I do. I mean, I'm not sure why."

"Sometimes things speak to people and no one knows why and it's best not to question ourselves. Good luck."

I saw Rhys filling bidding papers out for several items.

"Don't forget the big auction is still to come. I understand there is a signed football or something!" Rhys and I had both discovered we did not appreciate football nor adorning our office walls with sports memorabilia.

Henry came and found me and told me I was on. Rhys wished me luck with a kiss on my cheek.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Can I have your attention? Thanks. Um, for those who don't know me, I'm Henry Hartman, second son behind Giles, but I'm still ahead of Boyd and no one remembers Valerie anyway do they, I mean she's not a doctor or anything?" People were laughing. "Anyway, this is not on the program tonight and is a little surprise for my parents, Drs Hilary and Charles Hartman who most of you know are celebrating their ruby wedding anniversary today. Well..."

"Get on with it!" Someone yelled from the crowd.

"Well, as I was saying. Today appears to be as good enough as any other day for a wedding and my gorgeous partner Ken, well, we met 10 years ago tonight at Mum and Dad's 30th anniversary so we thought..."

And with that Ken appeared with a celebrant and Christian and I walked out together to gasps amongst the crowd. It was a simple ceremony, but it was heartfelt. The ceremony led into their first dance together. I had a quick dance with Christian before his partner interrupted and I went to find Rhys.

"You knew and you didn't tell me?" I thought Emily would be on the warpath.

"I was sworn to secrecy, honestly."

"You made a good Best Woman and I think Hen made a good choice in asking you."

"I'm sorry. If I get married, I'll make sure my fiancé gets Boyd to be Best Man.

"Did you hear that, Rhys? Boyd's going to be your Best Man."

"Don't ask!" I looked across before Rhys grabbed me for another dance.

"I should have had you dance with me on Serenity if I knew you could actually dance!"

"You'll have to organise a work do on her."

"Why's that?"

"Well because come Monday we go back to being colleagues."

Rhys pulled me in closer but did not talk. As the dance ended it was time for the main auction. We were reminded that all proceeds were going to the cardiac department at the hospital. The first few items went for above reserve, including the signed football. The item I had been excited in came up, a week in a luxury bed and breakfast in the tablelands behind where my family lived, all fully catered for. I had visions of spending a week reading and going for walks and, of course, taking time to see family either side.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, do I hear $1,000."

Rhys raised his hand.

"Hey, I want this one! It looks so relaxing."

"Well, I want it too!"

"$2,000" I yelled out. "When would you use it?"

"$3,000!" Rhys yelled back "I could visit clients and then have some leave. I love it up here remember."

"$5,000" I yelled out, thinking I would have to stop Rhys as the reserve was a little over $4,000.

"You do realise you are bidding against your partner?" Giles had come over and placed his hands on my shoulder.

"I want it. He can just outbid me."

"Did I hear all proceeds were going to the cardiac program at the hospital?" Rhys enquired.

"That's right, sir."

"Excellent. $10,000."

There was a gasp around the room. I went to speak before Giles held my arms down and told me to let Rhys have it.

"Going once, twice, three times, you are out, Miss?" I nodded, "Sold to the dashing young man who looks a Hartman he might as well be one!"

The room erupted in laughter and applause.

"Thank-you, Rhys!" Mum had come over and drawn Rhys in for a hug. "You'll get a tax receipt, don't worry."

"My uncle died from a coronary, so it's a cause close to my heart, pardon the pun."

"Well tell me when you both will be up for your week away. I'm just glad I'll get to see you both again soon. Imagine in winter with a wood fire going... It will be perfect for you two to practice making grandsons!"

"Thanks, Mum."

"No hard feelings?" Rhys had pulled me away from the main area to grab us both another drink.

"I was looking forward to a week there reading and walking. I hope you enjoy it."

"Come here!" Rhys pulled me in for another hug and I almost melted.

The auction had finished, and it was announced that it was time for some slow dancing.

"Do I get this one too, or are you still gloating at outbidding me and looking for a sexy doctor?"

"I'd be honoured. I haven't noticed any sexy doctors around tonight."

"Oh, come on, the place is swimming in them!"

"I must have been looking somewhere else."

I'm not sure if it was the emotion from the auction or the fact that we were holding each other so close, or what, but before long we simply looked into each other's eyes and our lips just met. It was not a chaste kiss either, with tongues twirling inside each other's mouths and hands grabbing onto each other's backsides trying to draw the other one closer. It felt amazing and the electricity that was cascading through my body was nothing I had ever experienced.

"Get a room you two!" Boyd and Emily had sidled up to us.

Suddenly Rhys and I were at arm's length from each other with a look of shock on both of our faces.

"Shit. I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. Fuck. Um. Fuck. Sorry." And Rhys tried to escape from me as fast as he could.

"I've got him, you look after your sister." Emily appeared to race after Rhys.

I dissolved into a pool of tears, my makeup smearing down Boyd's white shirt, muttering about what a fool I'd been and how everything was turning out opposite to the way I had planned.

"And, come Monday, the fantasy ends and he will forget about me and I try to mend a broken heart..." I sobbed. Boyd had managed to guide me to the side of the marquee and before long Emily was back.

"Hurry up, he's packing. Get up there and tell him."

"Tell him what?" I managed between sobs.

"That you love him, idiot!"

I don't think I had ever moved as fast as I did at that moment.

"Not now, Mother!" I remember yelling as I ran past, slipping off my shoes and throwing them into a bush. "Rhys, don't go, please."

"I have to. I can't do this until Monday. It's not an act and It's too painful. I haven't had to act all weekend."

"Would you stay if I told you that contract was null and void and that the other party had developed feelings, rather, um, strong feelings..."

"Val, no more fooling, no more lies. Those kisses..."

"They were real, so very real and so very, very heartfelt and, I never imagined this ever happening, but I've fallen head over heels in love with you."

Rhys stopped throwing things into his bag and just looked at me.

"You have? I mean, you kept talking about the 16th and I kept thinking that it was an act and... you love me?"

"I do. I mean, I never meant to, but it, like happened. I haven't had to act at all."

"Can you pinch me, please?"

"Why?"

"So I know this isn't a dream. I dreamt about you all night. To wake up with you this morning, doing what I had dreamt about..."

"You feel it too?"

"Of course I do! I adore you and have since you first stepped foot on Serenity. I never realised you felt it too. I'll admit though, the retreat was partly my idea because I wanted to spend some time with you and get to know you, but I didn't pluck up the courage to talk to you until that last afternoon, just before Katherine gathered us together again, and, you love me!"

We soon discovered the thong ripped off easily. I simply lifted my skirts and Rhys dropped his pants as I climbed on top of him, our mouths almost glued together in kisses as I rode him to a very mutually satisfying climax.

Lying on the bed together in each other's arms, giggling and telling each other bits of each other we loved there was a knock at the door.

"You two left the party early."

"Sorry, Mum. We, well we worked something out, that's all."

"OK. So, Giles and I each owe each other money or something?"

"Something like that, Mum. But you were right, he is a keeper."

"Oh, and Rhys,"

"Yes Hills?"

"You are needed downstairs again. Apparently, you've bought a glass sculpture for $5,000."

"Did you outbid me on that too?"

"Guilty, your honour, but it was for you."

"Really?"

"Yes. Just like I hoped that we might spend a week together on the Tablelands this winter."

"I love you Rhys no middle name Evans."

"And I love you Valerie Hillary Charlotte Hartman."

~*~*~*~*~

Epilogue

"Come on, Theo, we need to get moving, can you just step onto the wharf for me please? Come on, Mate, there's more chocolate cake at home and Nanna Maggie and Poppa Tom are coming tomorrow to stay for a while and Auntie Myf and Uncle Rob will be here later this week with your other cousins."

"You mean Alice, Steph and Nick?"

"That's right. Felix!"

"When can we go out on Serenity II again, Dad?"

"Probably not until after the baby comes, Arch."

"What about next weekend?"

"That's Valentine's weekend, Felix"

"And Grandma Hills and Grandpa Charlie's party in the big tent?"

"That's right, Theo. Darling, can you take Oscar from me?"

"Sure thing my love."

"Is that the Valentine's Party that I came from?"

"That's right, Archie, the one where Mummy forgot the doctor had removed her IUD without putting in a new one, which is, in my opinion, the best thing your mother has ever forgotten!"

"The appointment had disappeared from my diary and I had forgotten I needed to go back again! Not that I'm complaining!"

"That's why sensible people keep paper diaries!"

"You love my nonsensical whims!" Surrounded by our children the feeling of love was palpable.

"Is this baby going to be another boy?"

"We don't know Felix, Mummy and Daddy decided not to find out."

"I will admit I would prefer a girl like Issy and Jess and Layla."

"It might be another boy, Archie, we'll just have to wait and see."

"Is it just one baby still?"

"Oh, Theo, Mummy and Daddy aren't as smart as Uncle Henry and Uncle Ken or Auntie Emily and Uncle Boyd."

'Baby in tummy, Mummy!" said Oscar as he patted my belly.

"That's right, Oscar!"

"So, when is it coming again?"

"Well Mummy is due in 2 weeks on her birthday and you boys all came at least a week late so it could even be a March baby like you, Felix."

"I'm going to tell Grandma Hills that I'm going to be a fireman!"

"No, Theo, we all have to be lawyers remember."

"No, Archie, just not doctors."

"But I want to be a fireman..."

"You can be a fireman, Theo." I could not help but smile at my four sons as I felt the baby kicking inside of me.

~*~*~*~*~

"Mm... That was amazing. You sure know how to show me you love me"

"I thought it was my shoulder rubs that you loved?"

"I love it when you rub all of me, especially my insides!"

"Insatiable woman!" Rhys and I kept sharing little kisses and I was so thrilled we still found time for intimacy after all these years.

"I've never heard you complain! Do you mind that this baby will be the only one born in wedlock?"

"Considering I've been asking for almost 10 years now, and we hyphenated our names when Archie was born? Seriously though, if you're getting cold feet, we can still delay it. I mean, it's only a piece of paper and by law, we are well and truly married de facto."

"No, it will be perfect -- Mum and Dad's Golden Anniversary, Hen and Ken's 10th. Em's mum has sewn the most amazing dress and even though I look like I've got a watermelon in my stomach, I'll get to tell everyone again how much I adore you."

"I adore you too, my sexy love. The ruby-red number is still my favourite."

"I was 5 months pregnant with Theo at the last gala, but I did like that blue dress that matched your eyes."

"You looked stunning. But then again, you always do."

"You are such a keeper. Thanks for helping with the marquee today."

"We had lots of help, remember! Theo is just enthralled with the big tent and was sad I wouldn't let him camp in there tonight."

"It was a family effort, wasn't it? Millie and Mia were a great help and that Adam's a lovely guy. Bridget seems to think so too, but I know Giles is pretending it isn't happening. Seeing Mum fuss around the hanging of the lights was funny. I think we've worked out how to do it after all these years!"

"Your parents only sold us this house because they knew we'd keep the Valentine's Gala going."

"Probably. That and they knew we'd fill it with kids. Do you still want 5, or could you go a sixth?"

"Well Ms 'I've left it too late for 5,' we can talk about this in a few months. I mean with your family's propensity for multiple births... You know I won't mind if we have 5 sons or even 6 or 7! You've always been right and making them has been so much fun. Now come on, we better get some sleep."

"Mm... Although Ken, Hen, Boyd and Em did have some assistance with theirs I suppose. I still can't believe Em and Boyd implanted a single embryo, after all those years they managed it on their own as well."

"We've been so blessed, all of us really. Now, sleep!"

"I can't wait to see Myf and Rob again. I still wish they'd move up here too."

"They're still contemplating it. I know Myf always wanted a sister and I'm so glad the two of you get along so well."

"Oh, and Darl, Katherine and Max messaged me to say they arrived safely as did Janet, Penny and the kids."

"You need to stop thinking about all these guests, it's almost midnight, my love, come on, sleep!"

"Darling..."

"Yes, my love."

"Can you feel the wetness?"

"You can't possibly be horny again so quickly!" Rhys laughed as he rubbed my shoulders, "Now sleep!"

"No, I'm serious, I think my waters broke! I might have just gotten myself out of mani-pedi morning with Emily!"

~*~*~*~*~

"Ladies and Gentlemen. For those who don't me, I'm Rhys Hartman-Evans, father of four of the terrors running around tonight."

"I'm not a terror!"

"Sorry, Archie, you're the exception proving the rule or something! Don't worry, all the kids will all be back in the house soon, we just need them here for this little bit. Um, this isn't on your program, and we haven't told anyone, except for, well, my best friend, Boyd and his gorgeous wife, Emily. If it's not our 4 sons causing havoc, it's their 6-year-old triplets, and hey, if you can tell Hughie and Dewie, I mean Hugh and Eddie apart please let me know!"

The way Rhys stood with his hand on my shoulder drew a silent sigh of contentment from my lips.

"Also joining us are my dazzling sister Myf and my other best mate, Rob. Their 3 kids are very well behaved, and I think I need tips from them, which they could give if they moved up here as we've begged! Now, Valerie, the beautiful, gorgeous, exquisite mother of our children, my precious darling, my love, my everything, is the youngest, and I must say, sexiest of all the Hartman children."

It was lovely glancing out and seeing Giles and Bridget and Henry and Ken in each other's arms, no doubt Bridget and Ken thinking they had married the sexiest of the Hartman children. Boyd still made it abundantly clear how much he adored Emily after all these years.

"Firstly, happy golden anniversary, Charlie and Hills, the best out-laws a man could ask for. And happy 10th anniversary to Hen and Ken. You both ruined things by not calling Jess and Liam 'Jen' and 'Len' but never mind. To the magnificent Millie and her fiancé Adam- welcome to the family and good to see the Ambos, I mean paramedics represented too, Adam! Seriously though, mate, glad you've found the women of law are hotter!"

"Speak for yourself!" I heard Giles yell out, "I still haven't forgiven my sister for convincing my beautiful daughter to study law. It's not too late to change either, Petal! But hey, Theo's told me tonight he's going to be a doctor like his favourite uncles so that's something at least."

"And here was me thinking he was going to be a fireman!"

I smiled thinking back on the last 10 years and at the same time wished my husband to be would hurry up.

"Sorry, I'm a little tired. You see, last night as I was trying to convince my gorgeous wife to be to go to sleep, the most beautiful baby girl you could ever imagine decided she was going to arrive a week ahead of schedule, at least giving two of her grandparents the elusive Valentine's Day baby they always chased! I suspect beautiful Freya here just wanted to be in on tonight's party. Thanks, Mum and Dad for being here, I'm glad you had to put up with Oscar rolling around in your bed last night! Anyhoo, and that is prime legal speak for all you doctors out there, 10 years ago on this very special night..."

And that is how I married the one true love of my life Rhys Hartman-Evans, co-creator of our 5 beautiful children. Serenity was never going to be large enough for all of us once Felix was born, but we did do some beautiful dancing both above and below deck on her and still head out on her replacement most weekends. Rhys is the most wonderful father, lover and husband and still has several clients he helps with their maritime issues. I now split my time between a few family law cases and working at the local Women's Legal Centre which I love, as well as chasing after the 5 children I never dreamt I'd be blessed with. The university keeps begging me to lecture and who knows, I might get around to writing this PhD thesis on the relationships of practitioners of family law and become a doctor despite my parents.