All Comments on 'Fifty-One'

by chasten

Sort by:
  • 65 Comments
MsCherylTerraMsCherylTerraalmost 4 years ago

Great story! Really enjoyed it :)

norafaresnorafaresalmost 4 years ago

Seconding Cheryl. Great story! Thank you for participating in the 50 Ways event. Your contribution is greatly appreciated and well-received.

BBeinhartBBeinhartalmost 4 years ago
Absolutely fantastic!

All the “”Fifty Ways” stories are great, but this may just be the best!!!

MattblackUKMattblackUKalmost 4 years ago

A great story. Moving.

BBeinhartBBeinhartalmost 4 years ago
Sorry!

And then I clumsily hit the one star by mistake! I hope it doesn’t affect the final tally too much, cuz’ I really loved the story and the characters.

PortnoyishPortnoyishalmost 4 years ago
Hope and Promise

Two damaged people, one slightly and one extremely, finding a way to get back on track with life and each other. The story started in tragedy and ended in promise. That's not cookie cutter romance formula and worked really well. Thank you for an interesting reading experience.

A_BierceA_Biercealmost 4 years ago

Just what the doctor ordered

A curative for this dreadful year, to be re-read as often as needed to soothe a battered soul.

ForensicFossilForensicFossilalmost 4 years ago

What a really good story. It has it all-authentic emotion, deceit, terrible realizations, action... Technically well-wrought, insightful. It reminds me of a Malreaux kind of story, which is high praise from me. I very much liked Jack, who was a good guy without being too perfect, and Lila. I hope they do well, and I say goodby to them with regret.

Bebop3Bebop3almost 4 years ago

Clawing your way back to a position where you can find and accept love. Touching story. Please post more often!

rockthedogrockthedogalmost 4 years ago

A great read. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
A Classic

In this stack of stories, this is by far the best.

saxman1947saxman1947almost 4 years ago
Great story

At first, I was confused. The "loving wife" died early in an eleven page story. I couldn't figure out what was left to resolve. Then I saw that this was a Romance category story and got back into it.

I gave you a five mostly for the awesome mondegreen. I hadn't heard that one.

jezzazjezzazalmost 4 years ago

Wow.

Just wow. Amazing.

rflikeslitrflikeslitalmost 4 years ago
Excellent

Well told take of redemption,thank you look forward to more!

gatorhermitgatorhermitalmost 4 years ago
Compelling and Fascinating

In a way this story is very frustrating, as it is complex and reads like a stream of consciousness. I couldn't put it down after about the second page. Fabulous character development and fascinating plot. Well done.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 4 years ago

Two great characters! Really enjoyed your story.

5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
In a word ....

Brilliant! Maybe the best story I have ever read on this site.

Three little words ....

"Thank you chasten!"

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
See, this is why when some asshole complains or demands that this is a Porn Site, . . .

I like to rebut that this is a literature site, that includes porn, or not.

I don't know what about this story might be considered porn, but 100% of this story is good literature.

Well done. Thank you for your time and talent, and thanks for the effort. It shows.

I wish you well on future efforts.

The_PedantThe_Pedantalmost 4 years ago
A star of a story.

Complicated, absorbing and well worth reading.

PeterPanicPeterPanicalmost 4 years ago
Wow!

Couldn’t put it down.

tangledweedtangledweedalmost 4 years ago

One thing I appreciate in a story is believable characters. They can be damaged, insane, funny or heroic, but give me a reason to believe in them. Lila's backstory and how she coped with it was both honest and sad. Jack was the type of person we wish all journalists could be and was exactly what Lila needed to become whole again.

This story was beautifully told and easily goes onto my favorite list.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitalmost 4 years ago

That was positively brilliant! One of the best I’ve read on Lit. Seriously, the plot built slowly, for the longest time I had no clue where it was headed. Then when I thought I knew, the plot twisted just enough to have a different meaning. The ending? Definitely didn’t see it coming.

Much of the story could fit any number of settings. Choosing the 70s and holding being consistent with its contemporary technology was another outstanding choice. I didn’t notice anything out of place (I was in my teens then), and it kept the focus on the characters and storyline. It kept the rest believable.

This was a story where it had to be told from a single viewpoint, in the first person. Excellent writing, excellent character development. The storytelling? It’s like the matador, hiding his weapon from the bull: key information is hidden as long as possible... then Hey, You’re Dead!

RK52RK52almost 4 years ago

A great story. It did start so slowly that I began to be concerned but I continued and watched it develop. A lot of angst and agony on the part of all the players but the ending tied it together perfectly. Great work. 5 Stars

DFWBeastDFWBeastalmost 4 years ago

Outstanding story of damaged people finding healing in one another. Thank you for the wonderful story!

Killian

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Made it !

There’s nothing wrong with your writing or grammar. The storyline was fine but I’m sorry to say that it was a struggle to wade through it and I was relieved when it ended.

Jack was the only decent person in the story and Lila was a particularly unpleasant character. I don’t like the word slut but it fits.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Wow!

For maybe two pages I was thinking, "He was right to warn us this wouldn't be quick." Then somewhere around that point I lost all track of time and became engrossed in the gradual healing of Lila. In retrospect that pace allowed for some of the best character development I've read on this site. Lila's journey from a woman with a serious attachment disorder to someone you just KNOW will be be faithful and loving to Jack all her days was believable in a way that a three or four page story couldn't have managed. Thanks.

ribnitinribnitinalmost 4 years ago
Three dimensional, original characters

Very enjoyable story, filled with three-dimensional characters. I especially liked Lila's insight into her father.

The only issue was that in some parts of the story I had trouble figuring out who was speaking.

ohioohioalmost 4 years ago
Beautiful and moving

This is up there with the very best of your stories, which is saying a lot. I'm only sorry that many readers probably turned away from it because of the length. But it's rich and fullly developed, and your main characters (certainly Lila above all) are fascinating and fully deserving of our caring attention. I've read it twice--the second time more carefully, not rushing along to see what happens next--and it's just beautifully done.

Thanks, ohio

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
This Is A Story

Written with the skill and depth of character that frankly I would have more expected from one of the ladies who either entered stories for this event or edited some of them. I enjoyed the slow evolving events, it added a lot to the drama unfolding. It didn't take a lot to figure out our two main characters would find themselves together, just how it would flow was the question. I thought how he handled his soon to be ex-wife was classic, I didn't see the change in his plan coming at all the way it played out. The only thing I might have changed would have had to do with Roy Boy, I'd have had her kiss him, with her tongue down his throat and Then driven his balls into his stomach. Flawed characters all, but two are well on their way to healing.

Some of us lived the time without the net, (a few universities were linked with bailing wire and masking tape and the Milnet were all there was), just a few BBS's via dial up modems at 300 Baud, But The Music! If anyone doesn't know the mentioned 'Concert In Central Park' it's recorded and out there.

Since chasten mentioned Coop in his biography, a bit of trivia; if you watch closely at the very end of 'High Noon' where Coop throws his badge down in disgust, look closely beside his left boot. You will see another badge covered in the dust left there from an earlier take. In real life Cooper was quite the ladies man.

An extremely well done piece of literature not found often enough on any site. Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
5*s

Complex plot, dramatic story.

Gave it 5*s.The best Romance story I have seen on this site. Because it is more than romance.

Multiple characters, different back-stories, emotional development, love, hate, death, and re-birth...

You did it all in this story chasten..

Congratulations 🙂👏👏🏁❗

I so happy as

AMerryman

TailakaTailakaalmost 4 years ago
A very good story

The characters were deep and felt emotionally authentic. Lila's father and the whole cheating revelation & murders felt very much like a twisted plot from Harlan Coben. It's a compliment if you're not familiar with his work. The story had depth of plot and felt as though it could be an entirely & terribly true story in a small town somewhere. 11pages certainly didn't feel too long and felt complete at the end.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Really moving

LOL. I read two of your stories and put the comments backwards on the wrong ones. So I would have loved to have seen the cheating wife burned but I get why Jack didn't do it. He's just not that kind of guy. I'd really like to know where they are at in 10 years.

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago
Baggage

Very good story about some messed up people, one of which found her way out of the quagmire of life. Keep writ'n

matuateneiramatuateneiraover 3 years ago
Beautifully written story with great characters

This was a great story about very real and believable characters. All the events seemed credible, even the legal difficulties. Well done Chasten.

WillowghbyWillowghbyover 3 years ago
Thank You!

I admit that I blew off the preface warnings and groaned at the bottom of page one - OMG, another 10 to go... That was the last hesitation or interruption of my straight through reading. Beautifully paced, nice character development and evolution, good drama, and (normal) imperfect people finding their way to a satisfying resolution. The good guys won and the others continue to swirl like, um, you know...

My compliments to all the editing efforts.

Keep 'em comin'.

rayironyrayironyover 3 years ago
Yeah,

You sure can write!

Lector77Lector77over 3 years ago
Excellent

Thank you. I could write a long list of the things you've done well, but I'll get to the point: I am a happy reader who looks forward to reading more of your fine work.

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago

yeah, quite a story even the second time around, some of are really mixed up emotionally others of are just learning to feel after our loss.

tralan69ertralan69erover 3 years ago

Great story

One of the best stories I've read here at Literotica. Looking forward to reading anything you write or have written.

In the last 40 or so comments I didn't see a one that was not positive. A first I would say in any category.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Unquestionably one of the best stories I’ve found here. The final scene particularly resonated with me. A very long time ago, a girl that I thought might be The One broke my heart and I damn near committed suicide. I eventually healed, but carried the scar for decades. A few years a go, I ran into her and found her broken and made bitter by too many children and a romantically selfish husband. I didn’t gloat, but I reflected upon how things eventually came good for me, and that scar evaporated like a morning fog. Any author that can express complex yet relatable emotion like that has my unlimited respect. Keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Weird story and very convoluted. At times it is not obvious who you are about and who you are talking too! At the end of the story you state that you left Jack, then it appears that you didn’t. Make up your mind!

Comentarista82Comentarista82almost 3 years ago

Lot of angst, emotion, issues to sort through. Great introspection without it bogging readers nor the story down; while perhaps a longer trajectory for Lila to heal, it felt real and took the appropriate amount of time--plus we got to she her changing at different stages--which explained changes to her thinking each step of the way. Jack was definitely not what we may have expected at first, as my first impression is that he would be like that attorney named Pitney. But it was refreshing he was so patient with her, which was exactly what she needed--and it worked well on her--as she started to trust him a little bit more each time.

Can't fault a single thing. Thought the story might initially be certainly one of "I'll leave him for sure," but thanks for gently turning it on its head. 5

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story, new angles to old issues. Well told and I like the protagonist.

Thanks for writing this

5*

apollo_XIapollo_XIover 2 years ago

This was an interesting take on Romance.

I

apollo_XIapollo_XIover 2 years ago

My phone failed me... Continuing previous comment : I found the protagonist had a lot of issues to work through. She fought hard to get with Jack, but I think Jack fought harder to convince her to get there. Definitely a wonderful story. Have it a 5!

1Merlin1Merlinover 2 years ago

A cut above the norm. Characters who actually have or develop emotional maturity during the trials of life.

SlithyToveSlithyToveover 2 years ago

Stunningly wonderful.

A small timeline discomfit -- divesting from South Africa was not really a huge thing during this time frame, though there was some of it going on, mostly on specific campuses, heating up more in the next few years, and the anti-nuke protests really weren't widespread until a bit later, as they really took root after the Three Mile Island accident, which was in 1979. But those are fairly arguable caveats.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 2 years ago

Not a word I use often here - "Brilliant". 5*

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 2 years ago

This is boring as fuck

inka2222inka2222over 2 years ago

This was a good story. Easy 5 stars. Well written, engaging, moving, happy end for 2 people who deserve it.

I'm a bit on the fence about the "punishment" for ex-wife - I think it's too contrived and dependent on her actually caring a lot about "being someone who didn't hurt someone". Sociopaths like that don't have any problem talking themselevs into believing they are good people. In reality, 99.9999% chance the loss of trust - even for 10 more years - would hurt her more.

RanDog025RanDog025about 2 years ago

Excellent story Bro! Again worthy of 5 BIG FAT FLUFFY STARS, shinning bright! lol

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

"You spin a great yarn" is a complement I reserve for the very best. FIVE STARS.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Yours is the best story I’ve read so far on Lit. Your characters are wonderful, the narrative is clear and the result is satisfying. Very beautifully written.

DessertmanDessertmanalmost 2 years ago

5 stars I read this in 1 sitting, it held my attention from beginning to end.

NoLongerAnonNoLongerAnonalmost 2 years ago

Five stars for this unusual romance.

Po8pPo8palmost 2 years ago

I hate to read stories where some fucked up person ambushes an innocent soul and smear them with their emotional rottenness.

But this story was perfectly balanced.

Two fuck ups in a right moment for a right reason.

I give you a 5* here.

Not because I wish to ever be a party to any of such a life but because I believe people live such lives and end up where these two end up at.

And,hey! The grammar was so perfect

DFWBeastDFWBeastalmost 2 years ago

Damn Chas, even with the reread and knowing happens that's a hell of a story. Thanks man, very impressive.

Killian

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Extraordinary storytelling. I stand in awe of your talent.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

tanglosaxtanglosax12 months ago

Impressive story by an author I have just discovered. Look forward to reading more of his work. Tanglosax

WisquejacWisquejac7 months ago

Excellent story. Thank you.

Rockh1Rockh16 months ago

Thanks for another great one. I feel like I know them.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Great story but there’s loads of unanswered questions

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userchasten@chasten
19 Mar ’24: Well, I published a story in a category I didn't expect to visit. Except that, every once in a while, I have this idea of trying to write something in each one Literotica has. However, I write very slowly. And since I've only done stories in nine out of thirty-two ...

SIMILAR Stories