All Comments on 'Final Destination. Appointment Only.'

by tiggerlilly

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
DeathAndTaxesDeathAndTaxesover 9 years ago

"Smith suspected that getting a blow job on the battlefield was against Queen's regulations."

That line was gold.

'Nuff said.

biercebierceover 9 years ago
Outstanding!

I love the use of myth and reality. Very moving. Thanks

TamLin01TamLin01over 9 years ago

Two things about this story rube me the wrong way, and that may be a reflection on me or it may be a reflection on the story, and I guess it'll be up to other commentators to decide which. Generally, I don't like stories about soldier types, because they're often very showy about being about soldier types, with lots of banging on about protocol and rank and tradition and making sure we all know how authentic it's being and getting a little dewy (but in a manly way, mind you) about "the boys" and it seems very masturbatory. Actually, most things to do with the armed services seems rather masturbatory to me, so I guess there's that.

Also, you'll pardon my saying so, but this feels a bit sexist. It's awash in machismo and an atmosphere of general dick-measuring, where the only women are easily obtained whores (who of course must be acknowledged only passingly and in the most degrading terms) or hyper-sexed, idealized goddess figures who are ultimately there to make the mens' machismo into a metaphysical, holy thing, while also being conveniently sexually attainable. Even the afterlife has the general air of a frat house, and I imagine it smells distinctly of spilled beer. We may assume there are probably a few token women in Valhalla, because there are after all women soldiers, but it's safe to assume they're all just One of the Boys too. In any case, none of them are the cast of this story.

I suppose it is worth noting that for all that the main character is noticeably a passive figure, and there is the suggestion of some irony in that, but in the end it seems that was just more service to the dick-measuring stuff. Yes, even this shrugging quasi-virgin can prove to be a Real Man in death; such is the purifying power of the battlefield and the warrior tradition and etc, etc, whatever. If all that's your thing, okay, fine. Gotta scratch that itch somehow, I'm sure. Probably does for a lot of people. But speaking for myself, I get nothing out of it. This writer certainly knows what he's doing, but as a reader, I'm just not on this wavelength.

JustaSCOUNDRELJustaSCOUNDRELover 9 years ago
Interesting Story

A little spooky, but well written. Makes me hope my friends and comrades in arms who gave all are living it up at Fiddlers Green with free drinks and beautiful willing women for their pleasure.

TJSkywindTJSkywindover 9 years ago
Not so disconnected

The earlier versions of the Norse Valkyries were darker, grimmer, almost like bloodthirsty wraiths. Over the generations the descriptions of the Valkyries changed, becoming softer and more gallant. It was only toward the latter days before the conversion that the harvesters of the slain heroes were the blonde warriors of beauty that rode pegasi. Valkyries carried their selected heroes to Valhalla to become the Einherjar, the chosen of Odin. During the day, they fought each other to practice their skills in preparation of Ragnarok; those slain during the daily fights were magically brought back to life, and nights were spent drinking and feasting in Odin's great hall. There were traditionally twelve Valkyries. Those who were especially valiant were wedded for a time to Valkyrie, and presumably while one was married, a new woman warrior would be selected to fill her position. Sex itself was the reward for heroism, and not necessarily tied to any sort of affection. Those warriors who failed to die in battle and died of old age, sickness, or accident were consigned to the clutches of Hel Lokisdater.

For those interested, you might try Marvel's graphic novel 15 (1984), "The Raven Banner" by Alan Zelenetz and illustrated by the great Charles Vess (he also did the graphic novel version of Neil Gaiman's "Stardust"). If you can find it, it's a pretty good read.

Good job, Tigerlilly.

ChasPChasPover 9 years ago
Weird, but this story WAS Sci Fi.

One thing was confusing. I quote, "He could hump a heavy radio, full pack and SLR all day and then strip the radio down in the dark." I've never heard of anyone stripping a radio - during the day OR at night. Handguns - rifles & sidearms, I've seen disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. SLRs (with switchable lenses) can be broken down & cleaned.

sailandoarsailandoarover 9 years ago
Poetry . . .

. . . . Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

Really liked that, but the sex seemed disconnected from the rest of the story; without a reason for it.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous