Finding His Mate Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Rathu."

"You're far from home, Azeil. I didn't know your kind ventures this far? A bit unsafe, is it not? Alpha of one of the strongest packs alone and unprotected."

"What do you want with Madison?" Azeil isn't about to fall for Rathu's games. He knows he's trying to bait him and get under his skin. It may have been some time since he's crossed paths with Rathu, but old dogs never learn new tricks, and Rathu is centuries old.

Rathu brings his hands together. "Azeil, Azeil, Azeil." He clicks his tongue. "Tsk, tsk. I see you may need to be taught manners... And reminded who I am."

Azeil takes a step toward Rathu, closing the distance between them. "Please. I would watch the way you speak to me, Rathu."

He watches as Rathu's eyes change from green to black. He brings his wolf even more to the surface but catches himself.

"Aren't you wondering what I did with your fellow man? What's his name?... Moe?" Rathu taps his chin. "Ah, yes, Moe. He was a pleasure to drain. Squealed like a baby the entire time. If only I took a picture of his lifeless face for my keeping. A souvenir, so to speak. Just thinking about it brings me joy."

Before Azeil knows it, he has Rathu by the throat against the wall. "Say another word, and I'll rip your throat out."

A spine-chilling laugh escapes Rathu. "Oh, please. Do it."

The smell of metal fills the space between them as Azeil digs his nails deep into Rathu's skin. While Moe is a sleaze, Azeil wasn't going to sit by and let Rathu continue to diminish anyone from his pack. That alone leaves Rathu too much room.

Azeil hears sounds come from Madison's apartment and is reminded where he is. Now isn't the time to scrapple with Rathu when she's only a few feet away from them both. Releasing Rathu, he takes a step back and makes his way to the stairs.

Just before he starts his descent down, he turns and looks at Rathu. "You better watch yourself, and you better stay away from her."

Rathu scuffs. A threat from a dog isn't a threat at all. He waits until Azeil leaves the apartment complex, then re-directs his attention to Madison's door. Why is Azeil interested in her? A maniacal smile spreads across his face once the pieces click. Ah, so she's his mate. This makes Rathu's pending taking of her even better.

Reaching up, he touches his neck and looks down at his fingers. Azeil is still the short-fused dog he remembers. Rathu will have to use this to his advantage. He brings his fingers to his mouth, tasting his blood. Taking one last look at Madison's door, he turns and enters his apartment. His eyes immediately adjust to the darkness inside as he walks to a small corner in the living room where his desk is located. A flurry of papers covers the top of it, each piece littered with notes. He sits behind his desk and looks down at what he was working on before Madison and Azeil's arrival.

'The Book of Moors.' Since meeting Madison, he knew there was something special about her. There was a presence around her that wasn't just human. On top of her aura, a clear giveaway was also her last name being Lithu. He's been around for quite some time and immediately recognized its Lithuani origins, a tribe of Witches located on an island just outside Madagascar. It also just so happens to be home of the Witches of the Moor. Finding information on them has been a struggle, with most of it destroyed. However, he was able to get his hands on the original book written by the first witch Zimara.

At first, he wanted the book just out of curiosity. However, once he started digging deeper and uncovering mysteries others aren't aware of, he realized the power over other species he can have. But he's hit a roadblock. Zimara knew someone would find her book and wrote half of the text in Latin and the other in Ancient Lithuani, a language only descendants of the Moor understand. This is where Madison comes in. Azeil suspects that she is the direct descendant of Zimara, which is rare. He remembers hearing about Zimara doing the impossible and birthing a child. It's never been confirmed. However, upon meeting Madison, it's obvious the myths are true.

He turns the page and examines the picture of an Angel. It's unlike anything he's ever seen. Eyes hollow, jagged teeth, and a flat nose. From his understanding, the last Angels were alive centuries ago, before he was created, and are now extinct. However, according to what is written, this is not the case.

"Though hidden from sight, Angels are always watching." He repeats this cryptic message. What is it Zimara is trying to say?

His phone rings, interrupting him from his thoughts. "Speak."

"We've got him talking."

Rathu stops what he's doing and smiles. He was lying when he told Azeil he emptied Moe. Rathu isn't that dumb. He's been holding Moe, slowly draining him, to break him. He needed to know some critical information about the Tazot clan for his plan.

"Good. I'll be there in a minute."

Ending the call, Rathu resumes looking at the Angel. What does this saying mean? As he's flipping through the portions he understands, Rathu stops on one of the pages he's tabbed. In the center of the page is the emblem of Sacred Powers. He runs his hands over the picture. It's circular, with a woman holding a staff, surrounded by five moons. He knows the five moons represent each species. However, it's the staff that continues to trip him up. While a small detail, there's something about the detail of the staff that calls to him. It's too specific. According to Zimara, this emblem provides its owner with eternal power and life. While he doesn't need eternal life, power is a gift he will not pass up.

"Ruler of all, I live within the heart of the beast, only seen by those the wearer deems worthy."

This is yet another elusive message from Zimara regarding the location of this emblem. For years, Rathu has been looking for it to no avail.

"Only seen by those worthy."

He's watched Madison closely for any signs that she may have this artifact, but it doesn't appear she does. Or, perhaps, she has it, and he's somehow not worthy? Rathu scuffs at this thought. Him, not worthy? Even when at odds, he doubts Madison distrusts him.

Picking up the framed picture of him and Madison on his desk, he smiles at the memory. He remembers the day like it was yesterday. They were gallivanting the city, per her request, and stopped to get one of those nasty hot dogs from one of the stands. It was Madison's first time eating one, and she insisted they take a picture stamping what she considered a monumental moment in her life. Long story short, he ended up choking on his just as she took the picture. Still, to this day, she doesn't let him live that moment down.

His phone chimes again, signaling a message. He doesn't have to open the text to know what the message is about. Pushing his chair back, he grabs his coat and exits his apartment. He looks over at Madison's door and closes his eyes. He can hear her small snores even from here, which makes him smile. He wishes he could be lying beside her now, but other things need to be completed before this can happen.

Dashing out of the apartment building and through the city streets, he quickly arrives at his warehouse located on the out-stretches of the city's borders by the docks. It's a windy night, which causes the old wooden warehouse to creak. As he approaches the large steel doors, he thinks about the things he must find out from Moe. Really, the one crucial bit of information he must find out is the Tazot staff's location. Rathu believes this is what's depicted in the Moor emblem.

"Sir."

Rathu nods his head toward the subordinate standing guard by the door and waits as the warehouse doors open. Located inside are more of his subordinates, each focusing on a task at hand. They all stand as he makes his way through the central corridor toward another door, leading to where Moe is located. He stands outside the room for a moment, gathering his thoughts.

"Open."

The door opens on his command, revealing a very beat up Moe, who hangs from chains from the ceiling. His face and body are covered with various bruises and cuts, each leaking of blood. Rathu briefly glances at him and moves toward where the others are sitting.

"What has he said so far?"

"Nothing much, sir. Just that he suspects who his alpha's mate is."

Rathu scuffs. Had he known this is the information they were waiting to tell him, he wouldn't have made his way here. Two hours earlier, this would've been a revelation. But now? This information is nothing more than confirmation.

"That's it?"

They nod their heads nervously, waiting for Rathu's reaction. Rathu closes his eyes briefly, going over his options in his head. He can either keep him alive for shits and giggles and see if there is anything he knows. Or, he can save himself the extra time and kill him.

He walks towards Moe, clicking his tongue. "Now, now. I thought you were going to disclose more information of use. It appears you are as useless to me as you are to your own pack."

Moe struggles to open his eyes as blood drips into them. "Pl-please. Let me go. I swear I won't say anything."

Rathu laughs. "Let you go? How dense do you think I am? Why would I let you go?" He reaches up and grabs Moe by the neck. Blood sputters from Moe's mouth as he tightens his grip. "Where is the Tazot staff located?"

The Tazot clan is the only clan amongst supernaturals who were entrusted by the Witches of the Moor with a sacred staff. It's said that when activated, the staff has the power to create species. For Rathu, this means with it, he's able to create an army comprised of any kind of species his mind is capable of creating.

Moe sputters out more blood. "Please. I swear. I don't know where it is."

Rathu tightens his grip more, reeling at the sound and feel of Moe's throat crushing. "You have ten seconds before I kill you. Ten, nine, eight..."

"I swea-, I don't know."

"Six, five, four..."

"Okay, okay."

Rathu loosens his grip just enough to allow Moe the room to breathe.

"I know who would know. A-Alessia. She's one of the leaders in the pack."

Rathu looks at him to see if he's lying and ponders on this information. Since it's coming from a man like Moe, there's a high probability he's lying just to save his ass, or he may be telling him the truth.

"Where can I find her?"

"She hangs out at a dive bar on east 34th street. Every Thursday. You'll find her there. Just ask for A."

He spits out more blood onto Rathu's hand, to which Rathu wipes on his bare stomach. "Fucking filthy animal." Turning around, Rathu directs his attention to his subordinates. "Kill him."

"W-w-w-wait. You said you wouldn't kill me!"

Rathu ignores Moe's words and walks out of the room. The sounds of Moe's screams fill the long hallway. Alessia. He'll have to find out more about her if he plans on squeezing any information out of her. There are a few days between now and the upcoming Thursday. He has a feeling this isn't going to be as easy as it seems.

***********

Madison looks at herself in the mirror. Today is her first-day teaching at 'Upper-Woods Academy,' and she's nervous about the prospect of seeing Azeil again since their excursion last week. Thinking about how they left off gets her tingling inside. She didn't anticipate the mood to turn as intimate as it did. However, she'd be lying if she said she didn't enjoy it. There was something about the look in his eyes that she can't shake. It's as if she could see something else in them. She wishes he didn't rush out as quickly as he did but understands it was probably for the better.

"I can't believe he gave you a job. I tell ya. The Tazot family is always full of surprises." Tiffany's voice knocks her out of her daydream.

"You and me both, Tiff. But, alas. Here I am." She does a little curtsy and returns her attention to her reflection in the mirror.

"And you're really going to wear that nanny skirt? I like the off-shoulder top that shows off the pretty necklace your mother gave you. But, with the skirt, it's giving me 'Bad Nanny.'"

Madison shots Tiffany a sharp look before re-examining her outfit. She chose to wear a floral maxi skirt because she has a feeling her woman area will need to breathe throughout the day. From running around with kids to having Azeil even remotely nearby, the last thing she needs is to feel uncomfortable.

"This is not a nanny skirt. This is a 'new art teacher' skirt."

Tiffany purses her lips. "Mhm. I know why you wore that skirt, and it isn't for the kids." Madison turns around with a shocked expression on her face. "Maddy, I'm not dumb. The man drove you all the way to his town, was about to give you a house, actually gave you a car, and now you work for him. If there's one thing I know about Azeil, he's not that generous... or nice for that matter."

Madison watches as Tiffany chuckles at her own statement and frowns her face. "For a woman who knows so much about him, you sure are tight-lipped with your best friend who obviously is developing feel-."

She stops herself at this last part. Feelings? Is she catching feelings for Azeil? She's definitely attracted to him, but to say she's catching feelings is a bit extreme, especially since she doesn't know him. How can she fall for someone she doesn't know?

"Time is nothing but a man-made concept."

Madison peers at Tiffany quizzically, to which Tiffany shrugs her shoulders. "I'm just saying. It is a man-made concept. Sometimes you don't have to know a person to know them."

"Then tell me what you know of Azeil, then?" Folding her arms across her chest, she waits for Tiffany to answer. Since she's been back, Tiffany has been dodging all of her questions regarding Azeil. What better time to get answers than now, as she's heading back to him?

Tiffany hesitates for a moment. "Well... he's a nice guy. Genuine. A bit blunt at times, but he means well. I met him right after I moved from LA to New York. I was working with him and this other guy named Kano. They needed help with their marketing, and his sister referred me."

Madison nods her head, then looks away. Tiffany isn't telling her something. Madison remembers when Tiffany told her she was moving out to move to New York for a 'big opportunity,' so she isn't lying there. Madison can tell something is missing from the story, though, or at least the timelines aren't adding up. She feels a headache start to rear its head and shakes her head. She's starting to regret getting into this topic with Tiffany this early.

"Well... I'll take your word, Tiff. I just hope you're not lying to me."

Tiffany rises from her seated position on the bed and walks toward Madison. Standing in front of her, she places her hands on Madison's shoulders.

"Maddy. You know I wouldn't put you in a bad position. Never have, never will. Azeil's a good guy, just... different from what you're used to. Just relax a bit. If you're interested in him, be interested in him. Shit. I'm happy it's him and not Ryan."

Madison smiles and rolls her eyes. She'll never understand why Tiffany hates Ryan as much as she does. It's interesting because Ryan initially liked her until he realized Tiffany hated him. Then, a war between the two commenced, and neither of the two has conceded since. Madison looks at her watch and groans. While she appreciates her morning session with Tiffany, she has other things to think about. Taking one last look at herself, she exits her bedroom and makes her way out to the living room.

Grabbing her coat, keys, and work bags, she takes on last look around. "Tiff, I'm nervous."

"Don't be. The kids are going to love you. Just say 'hi' to Mira for me."

Madison nods her head and makes her way to the door. She smiles when she sees who's on the other side.

"Madam."

Rathu looks down at Madison's bright smile and smiles himself. Her smile is so contagious. He knows today is her first day of work at the dog's school, and while he doesn't care for Azeil, he isn't going to pass up the moment to further charm her. In his eyes, Madison is fair game. Azeil may have claimed her as his mate, but Madison hasn't claimed him.

"Ryan."

She takes the orchid from his hand. Ryan has always paid attention to the small details about her, including the moments she's excited about. That's ultimately what she loves the most about him. Madison's been so busy constructing her lesson plans for the weeks ahead and getting ready for the exhibit that she hasn't had the time to hang out with Ryan.

"Have a good day."

"Indeed, I will, Mr. Mullen."

Madison walks around Ryan and to the steps. Maybe there is something between them? For the longest, she's always thought they were meant to be 'just friends.' However, lately, Ryan has been showing signs of interest, and she isn't repelled by it.

The brisk air hits her face as she walks to her car. Once she's inside, her phone chimes. "See you soon."

Her heart flutters as she reads the message out loud. Azeil would wait a week before reaching out to her, then text her making her anxiety rise. As she peels off and makes her way to the school, she tries to think of things to calm her nerves but continues to think back to Azeil. What should she say to him? Should she give him a hug, or is that too much? And what about everyone else? Will she see that Alessia character again or Azeil's sister? She keeps getting this feeling that today is the start of something new for her and can't shake it.

Before she knows it, she's turning down the main road to the school. Children walking on the sidewalk wave to her as her car passes through, which surprises Madison. Do they already know about her? She pulls into her parking spot and sits in the car for a moment.

"Breathe, Maddy."

She sees Azeil's car located in his designated parking spot and feels the pace of her heart pick up. Taking one last deep breath, she exits the vehicle. As she bends down to gather her supplies from the back seat's floor, she screams when she turns around and finds Azeil standing behind her.

"Fuck, Azeil! You scared the shit out of me!" She looks around to see if there are any kids nearby and covers her mouth.

"No need to do that. They've already heard you."

Azeil chuckles as she playfully slaps him on his chest. He helps her with the rest of her things and walks with her to the school's entrance. He's excited she's here. Since last week, all he's been thinking about is her. Even this morning, he kept finding himself looking for her through the halls. Now that she's here, he can't wait for more of the pack members to meet her, especially the children.

"Are you excited?"

Madison nervously looks around as they enter the school. Despite how early it is, a good number of children are already in the school running around. She feels Azeil lightly nudge her and looks up at him.

"A bit."

"You'll be fine. The kids will love you."

They navigate their way to the art studio and walk inside the room. Madison still can't believe this is where she'll teach young minds the art of, well, art. The facilities are better than those at a major university. As she places the supplies she's holding down on a nearby table, Madison notices flowers waiting on her desk. She quickly glances at Azeil, who is leaning against one of the high tables, before walking over to take a closer look at them.

'To new beginnings.' She traces her fingers over the neatly written words and smiles. She doesn't have to ask to know these are from him.

"How did you know I like orchids?"

Azeil shrugs his shoulders. "Lucky guess, I guess."

Madison peaks at him and rolls her eyes. "Was it a guess, or were you just observant last week?"

Azeil pushes himself off the table and walks over toward where she's standing. She's intoxicating when she challenges him. While initially, this was off-putting, he welcomes it now. Truthfully, he wants to take things between them further but is unsure how to do this. Madison is the first woman who has ever gotten him tripped up.