Finding Love in Thin Places Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chris always enjoyed hearing the stories of his pilgrims. Kristin worked in a nursing home as a counselor, although she started her career in a juvenile detention center. Martha worked as an epidemiologist in the state health system for her nearly thirty-year career. They met while in graduate school and had been together ever since. Jenna spent her time reading, sewing and travelling after she retired from teaching high school mathematics just a a few years earlier. She and her husband, Jack, planned a trip to South America for the winter.

"Why didn't Jack come?" Chris asked.

"Well, he's not much for church and even though I told him it wasn't going to be all prayers and piousness, the old fool didn't listen. I've been texting pictures of pints and pubs all week and he's now in deep regret." They all laughed and posed for the latest version with pints, pies and a fair amount of gin on the table.

Day 8: Liverpool

Sometimes Chris felt like Liverpool was a mistake in the itinerary. They added it because so many of the adult groups contained big Beatles fans and often requested visits to the Cavern Club and the Magical Mystery Tour. These activities -- even if crammed around visiting the beautiful Cathedrals in the city --seemed to break the flow. But because of the intensity of the last few days, both for him and others, Chris thought a little Beatles music might be just what everyone needed.

After a morning visit to the Liverpool Cathedral and lunch at the Albert Dock, they were on their own for the afternoon. Most opted for the Magical Mystery Tour, Kate included. Chris, Sarah, and Tracy stayed at the Albert Docks and spent time at the museums there.

***

They all met back at the hotel just before dinner. While not included in the tour, nearly everyone wanted to go over to the Cavern Club for the evening. Chris decided to join them and found himself walking with Kate. He knew he should mingle more, but he could not deny the attraction, despite his better judgment. They laughed a bit as Kate told him about the afternoon tour and they reminisced about dancing to the of Beatles music back in the day.

"Of course, you two are walking together," John said as he caught up to them. "Can I join you two at dinner tonight? It seems like we have to break into tables of three or four."

"I planned to sit with Meg and Martha and Kristin," Kate quickly countered.

"I'm happy to sit with you John, I haven't even thought that far ahead," Chris volunteered.

The disappointment clear in John's voice, "Well, sure, I guess that works. Thanks Chris."

They approached the club and Kate moved away to find Meg and the others. They found the restaurant first and as John predicted, they broke into smaller tables. Sarah ended up joining Chris and John to make three. John's odd attitude stilted the conversation, even with Sarah.

After dinner, the group wound their way down the three flights of stairs to the Cavern Club itself. A band played a mix of 60's through 80's rock and pop on the main stage, and the group grabbed a bunch of tables along one wall. People mingled, danced and chatted or yelled over the music. Initially, Chris sat with Sarah, Jeff and Susan, as Jeff reminisced about the importance of music -- and the Beatles especially -- in his life. While Kate stood with Martha and Kristin.

Kate saw John approaching, smiling like a used car salesman, and steeled herself, "Do you want to dance?"

"Gosh John, I feel like I need to let my stomach settle first, and I'm enjoying chatting with Judy and Tracy. Maybe later?" She really didn't want a confrontation.

"OK, well put me on your dance card," he smiled and moved along to chat with Bill.

As the evening progressed, Chris found himself standing next to Kate. Some of the others danced together in a group, with Meg being the instigator. "Well, shall we join them and dance?"

Kate looked at him reproachfully, "Took you long enough to ask! Yes!"

"I just figured you'd come drag me out when you wanted it," Chris laughed as they joined the group already on the floor.

"That was a special circumstance. A gentleman should know it's his obligation to ask," she stuck her tongue out as they started bouncing to the music.

Kate watched as John awkwardly joined the group, dancing partly by himself and trying to hit things off with others. Soon he danced next to them and leaned over, "So can I have the next one?"

Kate sighed. It seemed safe enough, "I suppose, sure."

The song finished and another started. Chris walked over to the bar to get another beer, while Kate and John danced near the group. Chris wanted to dance with Kate the whole night though he knew he shouldn't. He needed to keep his distance, but he didn't want to. He stood with his beer and watched.

Kate felt like she was playing whack-a-mole. John kept trying to touch her: reaching for her hand, her arm, even her hips. The fast song meant no need for any touching. She worked her way closer to the group and gave Meg a 'help me' look. Meg tried to intervene some, and the audience of others seemed to make John back off a little. When the song finished, Kate said, "Thanks John, I'm gonna head to the loo." She practically ran there.

Chris saw her bolt from the floor and wondered what happened. Rejoining the tables, he found Sarah and chatted with her until Kate returned, making a beeline for their table.

"That seemed awkward!" Chris said confused.

"Yeah, don't ever leave me with him again," Kate responded sharply.

"OK, you bet, I'm sorry," Chris put his hands up and apologized. "Do you need another drink?"

"Yeah, a really big one," Kate responded. Chris left and went to get the drink.

When he returned, he could see Kate, Sarah and Meg having an animated discussion, which they quickly dropped as he approached.

"Here you go, this one's on me." He handed Kate another gin and tonic and she immediately took a large gulp.

"OK," Meg said, apparently finishing something. "Buddy system it is. You ok for now?" looking at Kate.

"Yeah," she swallowed another gulp. "I think I'm fine. I'll holler, thanks."

The four of them chatted, mostly about nothing, Kate still seemingly shaken. The soft piano introduction to Journey's `Open Arms' started. "Do you wanna dance?" Chris asked, even though he knew he shouldn't.

Kate looked surprised. Then nodding as a smile grew, "Yeah. Yeah I would."

Chris took Kate's hand, gently guiding her to the dance floor. He began to dance with her and put one hand on her hip, the other holding hers out slightly in the traditional foxtrot position. She put her hand on his upper arm. "Are you OK with this?"

Chris felt like when other men behaved like cads, he needed to be extra good. If for no other reason than to avoid being lumped with them.

Kate smiled devilishly, "You don't have to worry. I mean if one of us is guilty of being a little too aggressive lately it's me!"

"No complaints here," Chris beamed. "Although given we have an audience, we should probably leave a fair amount of room for Jesus." They both laughed at the old line.

"I don't remember you caring about that back in the day," she teased.

"As you've pointed out, I didn't believe in Him then," Chris retorted. They both laughed.

With each bar of the song, they drifted closer. Chris's right arm slipped around her waist. Her left hand slid up his arm to his shoulder. Their other arms bent closer in a more intimate position. They kept a space between them though. Without needing to say it, they understood that they couldn't sweep the veil away on their feelings yet, at least not this publicly.

They wanted the song to go on forever, but it ended way too soon. They clapped and slowly walked back to the table, joining Sarah.

John closed on them quickly, meeting them at the table. Meg immediately moved toward them, but John started talking first.

"Clearly you play favorites with the people in your tour," he spat with venom and anger. "I don't think it's appropriate for you to be out there with her so much."

Before anyone else could say anything, Chris responded, "Gosh John, I'm really sorry, you're right. Come on, let's dance. I'm happy to give you equal time."

Grabbing John's hand rather forcefully, Chris tried to pull him to the dance floor. John violently jerked his arm back, his face red and angry.

"Fuck you," he screamed, well over the music. "You're a sham and fraud, I wish I'd never come on this tour."

He wheeled and stormed off, taking the steps two at time. Chris heard Meg and at least one other say, "Good riddance" and "Hope he leaves for good."

Chris wanted people to enjoy their time as pilgrims, including John. He shook his head, swearing under his breath. He knew he'd messed up. He knew he had probably crossed the line, more than once, with Kate. While he couldn't care less about the money, he enjoyed the job and the special moments like the day before in Coventry and could see it all coming to an end.

Kate put her hand on his shoulder, "You didn't do anything wrong, it's him!"

"You ok?" Sarah asked with care and compassion.

"Yeah, I'm OK. I hate that I upset someone. That's not what I try to do." Chris felt deflated.

"Come on. Let's head back and we can have a quiet talk together," Sarah led him toward the exit and Chris followed.

After a quick Uber ride, Sarah and Chris sat in the hotel bar. She enjoyed a glass of wine, and he sipped a double scotch.

"He's hurting," Sarah explained. "His wife left him a couple years ago, after a long marriage. He desperately wants someone in his life, or so he thinks. He's always been a bit of a blow hard, but since the breakup, it's gotten worse."

And then, carefully measuring her words, "And he's interested in Kate, who's not interested."

Chris nodded, "And I'm his competition."

"Are you?" Sarah asked.

Chris took a long drink. "Not until after you leave on the 22nd. We have a very strict policy that we are not to get involved with the clients. And maybe I need to back off. Maybe I've done something wrong here."

"Not really, but it looks like you two mean something to each other and there are some feelings there," Sarah's observation invited explanation.

"We dated early in College." Chris shrugged.

"Oh yeah, we all figured that out! You know you're like an open book, right?" Sarah laughed as she asked the rhetorical question. "Plus, Kate told me earlier. Is there something going on now?"

Chris sat silently as he pondered how to answer. He thought of the kiss in the bar, which thankfully Meg kept under wraps. He knew how standing with her in Westminster had made him feel. He thought of all walks together, and the looks and brushes of hands they had exchanged. They hadn't said anything, but he couldn't deny the blossoming love. His silence spoke loudly.

"Look, if you can, maybe just back off a little?" Sarah advised. "I'll do the best I can to help on all counts."