Finding Miss or Mrs Right

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes and good boy for remaining positive darling," Lynn said.

By noon next day Julia had been hired to work in Lynn's department.

At the rental yard Gerard spent three days painstakingly going through the inventory, checking out every item and making notes. While he was there a guy made an offer on the F150 that seemed too good to be true. He called Julia and she said accepted it and they could split the money.

Gerard also looked closely at how people worked and what systems were used. He continued working at home on the evening at that third day, stopping only for dinner, and then called in Lynn to go through the company's books with him. Two hours later Lynn joined the other two watching TV and an hour later Gerard came out smiling.

"We can save your business but it will require some fundamental changes and letting some people go. Perhaps the most difficult part will be committing to a $50,000 loan because your company is near insolvent and ..."

"Providing the business plan is sound my father will raise the money for me," Tom said. "The ranch is practically debt-free. Come to the dining table and tell me about it."

Lynn looked at Julia who nodded and they joined the men.

The plan was a radical rethink.

The two below-par mechanics should be fired and a self-motivated senior mechanic was engaged at a higher rate of pay but still saving half a salary. One third of the inventory must be sold off and replaced and a rigid replacement scheme introduced, the three females in admin must be persuaded to go with settlement packages of three months' salary each, a junior should be hired and a manager appointed.

Tom was reluctant to on-sell equipment that was still operating but Gerard said people renting equipment did not expect it to break down and some equipment as listed was on its last legs. He won the battle.

The next day Tom contacted Julia and invited her to run the office, leaving him to run the front-of-business, checking on the two guys renting out equipment and receiving it back, buying in new equipment and working at customer liaison and growing the business. He was so happy and Lynn said she was so proud of Gerard for producing what appeared to be the right fix.

Julia and Gerard had been living in their own apartment for three weeks by that time and she'd just finished working for the company where Lynn have found her the temporary job in her department. The timing was good but the relationship between Julia and Gerard had taken a bit of a dive. They were arguing because he wanted to move back to the Midwest but Julia was against that.

Julia began working at her new job. One evening she came home late crying and refused to talk about it and went to bed without eating. She told Gerard to go out to dinner by himself and to sleep in the spare room.

He was upset by her refusal to speak about it but backed off when she insisted she was okay, that she'd just had a bad experience.

Gerard expected her to talk about it in the morning but no, she just said she was quite okay and expected to have a good day. Her refusal to talk about it angered him and he thought it was systematic of what was happening to their relationship; he was now aware it was crumbling and admitting that at last left him rather shocked.

Quite unexpectedly Lynn called Gerard mid morning and invited him to lunch. He accepted and although she gave no reason for the invitation he wondered if she had a job lined up for him. So far he'd not found anything he liked.

Usually whenever they met she kissed him but this time gave him only a brief hug. She appeared moody and he wondered what the hell was up with women this week, not that he currently was associated with many women. She came right out with it.

"I came home early yesterday afternoon and found Tom on the lounge sofa deep into sex with Julia. Both were naked and all they could say when I confronted them was sorry. I moved out of our home this morning and am filing for divorce."

That revelation almost floored Gerard. "Jesus. Lynn I am so sorry. Julia came home last evening crying but refused to tell me what was wrong. She went to bed without dinner and asked me to sleep in the other bedroom. I expected her to discuss what was wrong but she said she'd just had a bad experience. I planned to wring it out of her this evening."

Lynn said bitterly well now he knew.

"So you will divorce Tom; there's no chance of a reconciliation."

"None whatsoever. This is the second time he's done this to me that I know of."

"Jesus."

Lynn asked what would he do and he said he didn't know.

"I've had the feeling our relationship had cooled off in recent weeks. I just assumed it was because I didn't have a job although Tom paid me generously for my consultancy. I knew Julia was feeling a little unsettled because she'd been given notice her temporary job was about to end. I had no idea she was interested in anyone else. Not a clue."

"Um I say this as a friend Gerard. If you and Julia split will you take me out to dinner occasionally? My confidence will be low and it may take time for begin dating with guys again."

Gerard perked up a bit. Are you wanting my company for sex?"

"No Gerard although it was kind of you to think like that. It is unlikely I could bare to have a man touch me for many months, perhaps never."

"Gosh this is a right mess Lynn. I'm responsible for bringing Julia to Los Angeles and now this."

"You are not to blame and to a large extent neither is Julia. If it hadn't been Julia in all probability Tom would have found another woman to try out his fantasies but that's all I wish to say. Look you order, I'll make do with a couple of drinks."

"I'm right off my food as well. Let's get another drink."

When Julia arrived home Gerard said to her sternly, "Are you going to tell me what has upset you?"

"Hasn't Lynn called you?"

"Why do you say that?"

"Because Tom bad-mouthed me at the office and that really upset me. I walked for almost three hours before coming home. I was so mad I could have hit him stupid."

"Is that all?"

"That's enough isn't it?"

"How about the truth Julia?"

"Omigod, you have been in contact with Lynn and she's told you."

"Yes."

"The bitch. Well if she decides to divorce Tom he says he'll marry me."

"Careful Julia. Are you aware of what you are saying?"

"Tom is certain she will divorce him because she's tired of him and Tom says she doesn't understand him any more, having lost her finer feelings for him, probably as a result of his business crisis that's now over. It's such a shame but there it is."

"So if the divorce proceeds you'll go to Tom?"

"Yes because he's the better option for me although you are okay."

"Well I'm off somewhere for dinner. Don't wait up for me."

"What aren't you inviting me to go with you?"

"No Julia. I'll say no more."

Next morning Gerard was up early and went cycling until he knew Julia would be at work. After late breakfast he found a room to rent and moved out and didn't bother leaving a note for Julia. She had insisted leasing the apartment in her name because they'd used her money to set up the rental and therefore he had no responsibility to negotiate early vacancy or contribute any more to the monthly rental money.

Two days later Gerard struck it lucky and was hired as manager of rentals at a very large equipment rental center within easy cycling distance of where he lived. The only problem was the pay was lousy so he decided to hold off moving into an apartment. He'd switched to a new phone service provider and received a new number because he had no wish to talk to Julia or Tom again. He called Lynn for her to keep his new number in her phonebook. She sounded depressed and intended going away for a while because Tom was hassling her. Gerard gave no advice and all her said was to call him when she was settled.

The general manager at Finnegan's DIY Equipment Rental Center called Gerard in at the end of his first week and said Gerard's performance had been way above expectation.

"We get guys promising great performance in this trade but most of them are big disappointments," Larry said. "The boss agrees with me we must keep you and as from Monday your salary will be doubled."

A happy Gerard found the studio apartment he liked on Saturday afternoon and signed up. It would be vacant in 10 days and four days after he moved in Lynn called to say she was back.

Gerard knew to be easy mannered, not to be sympathetic, and so he said, "Where do I meet you to dine tonight?"

"Tonight?"

"Yes tonight. It's only dinner Lynn."

"Well I'm in a mess here."

"That's a good reason to eat out. Be strong Lynn."

She said all right and gave him the address of the restaurant and suggested 7:00 and that was fine by Gerard. As he cut the call he thought it must be really difficult for a woman involved in a divorce because most appeared to have their emotions close to the surface.

He arrived on time to find Lynn already at the bar with a wine in front of her. That was better than finding her with hard liquor.

"Hi, you're looking much better than I expected," he lied, noting her face looked and drawn.

"God I wish I felt like it," she smiled. "Perhaps my next divorce will be easier."

He realized that was a joke and laughed and kissed her fairly passively and ended it with a big hug and felt her hug him back. God she was strong.

"Oh you've made me feel much better already. I went home and dad was good but mom was over-sympathetic and told me ten times she knew I should never had married Tom."

Gerard dodged making a reply by asking when would she start back at work?

"Tomorrow. I felt it would be a bad move to resign at this time but not only to maintain my money supply. Having people I know around me will provide some stability. Everything has been filed and in about six months I'll have my divorce and as far as I'm concerned Tom will be history. Have you heard from Julia?"

"No I just walked out without leaving a forwarding address and I changed my phone number. I think I left owing her less than five hundred bucks from setting up the apartment. She is now history."

"Have you found another girl?"

"No I haven't been looking."

"Why not?"

He shuffled in his seat.

"Why not Gerard."

"You won't like it."

Frowning, Lynn said let her be the judge of that.

"I want to be available in case you need me. You know in case you feel you can't trust any other guy. You'll need sex won't you?"

"Oh Gerard, you beautiful, beautiful man, sacrificing yourself for me. But please listen, you just live normally and we can continue being friends. I'll be okay."

"There's no hurry to commit, either way."

"No Gerard, you must no waste your life like this, if could take me quite some time to become fully restored."

"Well I'm remaining on hand, available if required."

"But Gerard, don't you agree. We are not in love, I don't require financial support and sex is not a consideration, so what's in it for you?"

Gerard sipped his wine to give him thinking time before replying, having no wish to upset her.

"Now you listen Lynn. You are a lovely woman, the only female friend I have right now and that means a lot to me. Please don't take this the wrong way but I have always felt attracted to you and I guess than means sexually attracted.

Lynn looked astonished. "Those are lovely words Gerard but can't you see, I'm about to have the stigma of being a divorcee and I'm older that you and men prefer younger women."

"There's nothing wrong with being a divorcee and you're only a little over five years older than me and you are a beautiful woman. I have no wish to place you under pressure at this time Lynn. I suggest we eat."

"Yes right. God my mind is zipping so much I can scarcely think."

Gerard raised his hand. A waitress smiled, grabbed to menus and tucking them under an arm came over to them.

It was a test: Gerard took Lynn by the arm. She didn't stiffen, not even initially.

"I'm thinking pasta tonight," he said. "What about you?"

"I'll decide on either fish or chicken but need to see the menu. I've not eaten here before. At present I'm not going to former haunts."

"Good girl. I don't blame you."

"Good evening sir, ma'am. I am Lucy your waitress for tonight. This way please."

Almost two hours later they stood outside the restaurant.

"I'm just over..."

"Hush," Gerard said, placing a finger on Lynn's lips. "Phone me with the address if you wish me to visit. If we are to progress let's progress unhurriedly. You'll have pressures enough. Are you going to kiss me?"

Lynn gave something that passed for a kiss and then muttered, "Oh call that a kiss, this is being stupid." She grabbed Gerard by a shoulder and stood on her toes to kiss him slowly and fully.

He kept his hands still and when she stepped back he said that was lovely. "Good night lovely Lynn. Will you be okay walking home unescorted?"

"Absolutely. Good night and thank you for making me feel so relax. It has been wonderful."

Gerard walked back to his small apartment feeling elated. He'd not really thought of having sex with Lynn until today; really thought about it, that is. When sitting on the bar stool he'd said something to her and she was framing her answer and uncrossed her legs and during that movement he'd glimpsed a flash of white flesh above her stocking top. Jesus. He had to stop his tongue from hanging out. It had looked so sexy and he'd thought of getting his fingers into that pussy above those stocking tops and thought she'd probably be quite a good fuck, perhaps very good. She would have had plenty of experience with Tom who was full on in everything he did.

Oooh, if only Lynn would have sex with him he'd be a very happy man. He also suspected she wore those bras that flattened out tits to make them less conspicuous.

Oh man, if she allowed him to get his hands around them and his mouth working he'd do his best to switch on her motors and make her one happy girl. He would be reasonably satisfied, although never quite satisfied, if their relationship was to be only platonic. Some robust rounds of sex would be icing on the cake. Oh yeah! Lynn baby. He resolved not to pressure her for sex by grinding her down. If it got to having sex it would be because Lynn indicated she was ready for it and wanted it.

* * *

Lynn walked along the well-lit street being used by many people and felt totally safe. Walking not quite 150 yards she crossed at the lights to her apartment block right on the corner and the night doorman, not knowing who she was, smiled and she said she was Lynn Hay (her maiden name), who'd recently take over unit 1009.

"Good evening Miss Hay. Enjoy the rest of your evening."

Lynn went into the elevator not sure if she were walking on clouds of broken glass. It had been such a surprise when Gerard had expressed interest in sex. He meant with her. She had never considered he would be interested whereas she had wondered what he'd be like in bed. She'd assumed the divorce and she being older than Gerard would have put him off her and he'd only expressed an interest in her because, well he had practically no friends.

Gerard's flattery and declaration had pushed her ego into the clouds and he'd made her feel wanted, to feel worthy. The feeling of walking on broken glass was the trepidation of being deeply involved with a guy again. She realized they were simply two parallel thoughts that she was free to ignore and could do so without coming to significant harm. As Lynn entered her roomy and modern apartment she smiled, thinking she only had to call Gerard and say she wanted to have sex with him and he'd be over in a flash, or would he? He'd already indicated she was not to rush into anything. Now that was good advice.

For the first time for a long time in Los Angeles Lynn felt she had someone who genuinely cared for her in the sense of someone who would stand by her. She had quite a number of friends but she was unsure whether any of them were THAT committed.

When about to get into bed Lynn looked at the bottom drawer of her bedside cabinet and sighed, now it was the first time she'd thought about using her vibrator since she'd discovered Tom and Julia hard at it, Julia squealing and Tom, eyes bulging, slamming into her butt. That thought quickly melted her desire to work her vibrator but she was pleased to know sexual desire remained within her. She had of course expected it would be but this was the first flicker in weeks.

That night was indeed a turning point. Lynn went to sleep thinking of options to plan her seduction of Gerard Evans.

CHAPTER 3

On the Tuesday after dining out with Lynn, Gerard went to lunch at a restaurant with general manager Larry Watson and for the first time met Dan Finnegan, owner of Finnegan's DIY Equipment Center, who was seated with two other guys also in expensive suits.

The introductions were made and Dan said, "Gerard this is a high-power business meeting. Chuck and Henry here are from DIY Garden & Home Depot and have been at me to buy a DIY G&H franchise. I have committed and yesterday completed buying the timber yard next to us and the failing pre-owned car yard beyond that. We will be tripling the size of our present facility and will zoom up to a multi million dollar turnover."

"I have created a new company and being major stockholder will be chairman while keeping on with my public accounting partnership practice. Larry here has accepted the position of chief executive officer and will be coordinating the new building program. Larry assures me that although you have no management academic qualifications you could run the present business standing on your head because you are a mechanical background and systems and with it management of systems seem to come natural to you. On Larry's recommendation I wish to offer you the position of general manager of our restructured business. Is it yes, no or maybe. Take your time. Let's order gentlemen."

"The answer is yes Mr Finnegan."

"Call me Dan. Welcome aboard Gerard," Dan said, shaking Gerard's hand. "Your position takes effect two weeks from today. In the meantime you stick to Larry like a leach and learn, learn, learn. While we eat Henry and Chuck will start from the beginning explaining what is a franchise, how it works, how we have to work to make it work and how everything we buy comes discounted from the DIY Garden & Home Depot and what they don't stock then will get it for us. That ties us to the master franchiser but the system is designed so we both profit from our mutual association. Drink some beer and start your explanation Chuck."

Back at his office Gerard called Lynn at her workplace.

"Are you okay?" she asked. "You sound breathless."

"I've landed on my feet big time. I have just been appointed general manager of the rental center where I work which is to be tripled in size, beginning very shortly. In two weeks I go on to a salary of $110,000 and that will increase to $145,000 when the extensions to the business are completed within nine months."

"Omigod, that is fantastic. Look why don't you come to dinner on Saturday with a bottle of champagne and we'll celebrate? I think you would like that."

"Yes, very much."

Lynn gave Gerard the address and they talked for a little while longer before she had to go. He went to Larry's office to begin to find out what Larry did each day.

* * *

Lynn kissed Gerard warmly when he arrived at her apartment on Saturday and she fearlessly called him her clever boy for winning such a high-paying position.

She was wearing a thin blue dress and it occurred to Gerard she was not wearing anything under it.

"You look lovely."

"Thanks. I bought this dress today just to wear at home. Um the wearer is not meant to have a bra on. I'm rather big and I don't think I made the right decision."