All Comments on 'Fine Appetites'

by Lark_Dolan

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
yowseryowserabout 4 years ago

Beneath the salt

Something different, a period piece. But the reader craves answers: what period? what region? Little more lead up, a bit more setting, little more (don't need much) about the characters, and you have a lovely tale.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
@yowser

Hey, thanks for reading. I appreciate it. The details about which period and region aren't there because, to me, they don't move the story, nor the characters forward. they don't add to the story. I'm usually focused on trying to tell a "short" story, something digestible you can enjoy in one sitting. In my personal life, I often find stories that go on a little too long or, worse, drone on about details that don't push either the character or the plot forward. In your comment, you started by noting it's a period piece, which tells me that the point came across, and that's really all I want.

However, I think you're right about a better lead up. An extra 400-600 words on how they arrived at this act under the table and possibly the relationship between the Duke and Duchess might have served the story well. I appreciate criticism that forces me to re-analyze my work. Thank you.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userLark_Dolan@Lark_Dolan
Hi! I write pulp erotic fiction, usually between 2500 and 3500 words. In a world where there are so many distractions and people's attention spans are growing ever shorter, it seems pretty appropriate. I enjoy writing what I call "coffee table smut," or stories I think you can...