Fledgling Demigod Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Of course, my lord," Rodrick said, then bowed low. That done, he secured them and moved to turn, but paused, looking at the wagon. "I..." he started to say.

"What is it, Rodrick?" Galen said, sounding impatient.

"My lord, I wanted to apologize," Rodrick said, standing straight and tall. "I know an apology will never be able to quell your grief and anger but I feel as though I need to be forthright, though it may forfeit my life."

"Spit it out, Rodrick," Galen said, now openly impatient.

"I was partly to blame for Lady Miranda's kidnapping," he admitted. "It was my spell that inhibited her magic."

Galen turned to look at the old man. He went through a variety of emotions but settled on apathy. Otherwise he'd run the old man through right then. Lucinda's hand was on her sword hilt, ready to obey his command. Galen narrowed his eyes at the man and Rodrick didn't even flinch. "You're right, Rodrick," Galen finally said. "Your life is forfeit. I'll decide what to do with you when I get back. Consider this a probation of sorts. The better you're able to help Lillian the better your prospects will be on keeping your head intact."

Rodrick bowed low at the waist. "I understand, my lord," he said. "I look forward to your return."

Galen turned and started walking again, ignoring the old man. "That was unexpected," Lucinda commented when they were out of earshot.

"Either he has a death wish or he's sucking up," Galen said.

"What is 'sucking up'?" she asked.

"Basically trying to get in the boss's good graces for a better chance at promotion," Galen said. "We also call that brown nosing."

"Brown nosing?" Lucinda asked.

"Yeah," Galen said. "When you're trying so hard to kiss the boss's ass your nose is stuck in his asshole. Brown nosing."

Lucinda laughed. "Interesting terminology, Lord Galen."

Galen wanted to smile but couldn't so he just stayed silent. The remaining trip was uneventful. It was dark by the time they arrived back home and a contingent of guards were waiting for them at the castle gates. Lucinda and her guards were tense. It seemed the whole castle guard of fifty men were waiting for them. Galen approached and stepped in front of his little group. They were illuminated only by moonlight until they stepped within the light of the torchbearers. "Who's in charge?" he asked.

"I am, my lord," a man with a deep voice called from the front of the line. He was a big man with broad shoulders and muscles for days. "I'm filling in as guard captain until you assign another."

"What's your name?" Galen asked.

"Altus, my lord," the man said and knelt on one knee with his fist to his heart in salute.

Galen jumped at the sound as the entire guard repeated the motion. "Very well, Altus," Galen said. "You heard what happened to King Jasper?"

"No, my lord," Altus answered from his kneeling position.

"The king is dead," Galen said and every head whipped up to look at him.

"All hail King Galen!" Lucinda cried and her guards mimicked the cry.

Altus looked stunned. Galen motioned the man to rise and he did, the city guard rising behind him. "You killed him, my lord?" Altus asked incredulously.

Galen nodded but motioned to the cart behind him. "But not before he murdered my wives and unborn children." he said, almost choking up again. There was a rippling gasp from the guards.

"We mourn the loss of the duchesses my lord," Altus said with sadness.

"What of Anders' body?" Galen asked.

"We threw him in the moat, my lord," Altus said with anger. "Especially when we found a pouch of coin in his possession."

"How much?" Galen asked, more out of curiosity than anything.

"Fifty gold coins," Altus said.

Galen whistled. "That's quite a haul for delaying me."

"Indeed, my lord," Altus said. "But that's not all we found."

"Oh?" Galen asked. "What else."

"He promised the two dozen men with him a gold each if they helped him," Altus said.

"Oh yeah?" Galen asked. "And what of them?"

"They're all in cells below the guardhouse, my lord," Altus said. "And lastly, this." He offered Galen a rolled up parchment.

Galen took it and approached one of the torch bearers. Opening the parchment, he read it, not surprised to find that Anders was paid to kill Galen, not arrest him. "Did his men know about this?" Galen asked.

"They claim ignorance, my lord," Altus said.

"We'll find out soon enough," Galen said. "Make sure they're treated decently, Altus. I'll figure out what to do with them soon."

"As you will, my lord," Altus said. "Lastly, this also came for you this very evening." He held out another roll of parchment. This one was sealed with wax and a stamp with a dragon's head on it.

"Good job, Guard Captain Altus," Galen said, effectively assigning the title to him. He saw Lucinda slump in her saddle out of the corner of his eye but she didn't comment.

"Thank you, my lord," Altus said and bowed his head in appreciation.

"Carry on, Captain," Galen said. "Although I'd like a private word as soon as we reach the castle and I'm able to inter my wives until a pyre can be prepared."

"As you will, my lord," Altus said. "I'll get the men situated and meet you in an hour?"

"Sounds good," Galen said. "I'll be in my chambers." Galen led his personal guard into the city, the cart with his wives never leaving his side. Lucinda broke off with her seven remaining guards in tow when they reached the stables. Word had already gotten to the castle about Miranda and Matilda's deaths and the entire castle staff stood in the courtyard when Galen arrived next to the cart. Without a word, the woman that had woke him that morning, tears streaming down her face, took the reins and led the horse to the right side of the castle. Galen followed along for a moment but another woman stopped him.

"Let us handle it, my lord," she said. "We'll make sure they're prepared and well taken care of. You have my word."

Galen nodded and just stood there watching as the cart disappeared around the corner. Tears were streaming down his face again as a soft hand entwined fingers in his. He started for a moment, his head whipping around to see who it was. He relaxed slightly upon seeing Lucinda, sans guard uniform. He blinked for a moment as he'd yet to see her in anything but her armor.

She was only slightly shorter than he was and was wearing a black dress with a collar that encompassed her neck. Her hair was auburn and shaved smooth on each side. She had it pulled back from her face and done up in a single braid atop her head that curved behind and down her back. He was surprised to note that her hair was quite long, as he hadn't paid attention when she took off her helmet at the kingdom's castle. Her eyes were a light blue and she had a small, sloping nose over thin, pale lips. Her face was only slightly freckled but with pale skin. She had broad shoulders and muscular arms, but they weren't so manly as to be unattractive. Her torso was wider than a typical woman's as well, with small breasts, and tapered slightly at her waist before flaring out to wide hips.

"How long have I been standing here?" he asked.

"Maybe a half hour," she answered.

"Will you attend me?" he asked.

"Accompany, my lord," she corrected.

"Right. Will you accompany me?" he asked.

"You never have to ask, my lord," she said, blushing slightly.

"Did you keep a copy of the decrees that Lillian drew up?" he asked.

"Of course, Lord Galen," she answered.

"Good," he said and started walking toward the castle. She relaxed her fingers to let go of his hand but he tightened his grip and pulled her along beside him. They got to his drawing room and pushed through to his chambers. She hesitated at the door, not going in and he turned to look at her. "What's wrong?"

"It's not proper for a woman to be in a man's chambers if they aren't married or conducting business, such as a maid might," she explained.

"Lucky for us, we'll be conducting business," he replied dryly and pulled her inside. He motioned for her to have a seat at his writing desk. "I just realized I need to assign a new butler."

"What is a butler?" she asked.

"A man that manages the affairs of the house," he explained, then looked crestfallen. "Matilda took care of all of that."

"So you need a Master Steward," she said. "He performs all the duties you just described. Once you marry again, if you do," she blushed slightly again. "You can opt to have your first wife take over the duties or leave the Master Steward in charge."

"So he takes care of everything?" Galen asked.

"In the house, yes," she replied. "As to the affairs of state you'll need a Master Chamberlain."

"What's he do?" Galen asked.

"In short, he would be your liaison to the king and all other noble houses," she explained.

"Okay," he said, stopping her. "Pretend I know absolutely nothing about all of this and explain it to me like that."

"Well," she said. "He takes care of anything that has to do with the nobility. For instance, the party last night, he would have organized. Any marriage ceremonies or balls you wish to throw for the surrounding counties, he would be in control of."

"Why would I want to do that?" Galen asked.

"To improve relations," she answered.

"So, I'm expected to brown nose the neighbors," he said, scoffing.

"Not so much that," she said. "But you're going to need allies to come to your aide if anyone ever attacks you. Think of it like making friends."

"Now that makes sense," he said.

"And believe me," she said. "You're going to be attacked. Most likely sooner rather than later. The emperor won't take kindly to losing his son."

She looked down and away and Galen got the impression she wanted to say more on the matter, but there was a knock at the door. "Enter," he said.

Captain Altus strode in and knelt before looking up. "Oh," he said. "My apologies, my lord. I wasn't aware you were entertaining-"

"Sit down and shut up, Altus," Galen said and motioned to Lucinda. "The decrees please." She handed them to him and he took the one he wanted and handed it to the captain to read once he'd sat down.

Altus read the decree, his forehead scrunched up in confusion. "My lord?" he asked. "You want to allow women to serve in the guard?"

Galen motioned to Lucinda. "Why not?" he asked. "They've already been serving, some for quite some time now."

Lucinda blushed slightly but nodded at Altus. "Five years to be exact," she said.

Altus looked like he didn't believe her. "Meet Captain Lucifer," Galen said. Altus still looked skeptical. "Here," Galen said, handing Lucinda a helm he'd procured a few weeks ago. It wasn't hers but it would do the trick. "Put this on and then say something you'd normally say to the troops."

"Should be simple enough," she said as she put the helm on her head. "I trained Altus, after all."

"What?" Altus said, looking incredulous.

"Get your ass out of the mud, maggot and put that sword away before you gut yourself!" she barked.

"No," Altus said, bewildered. "It can't be. Captain?" he asked, confused.

She took the helm back off. "Indeed, Altus," she said.

"Tell me the ranks of soldiers in the guard, Altus," Galen said, interrupting.

"Um, there's Soldier, Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain," he said. "Then there's the Captain of the Guard. He, that is to say I, reports directly to the Sovereign of the land, that is to say, you."

"So there's no one higher than you, besides me?" Galen asked.

"None, my lord," Altus said.

"Then I'm afraid I'm going to have to change that," Galen said.

"My lord?" Altus asked.

"Lucinda," Galen said, turning to her. "I need a general. Are you willing?"

"What's a general, my lord?" she asked.

"The one man, er, person," he said. "In charge of my entire military force. The one who decides what actions to take in battle. If you agree, in times of war you'll have total control over all military tactics and decisions. In times of peace, you and no more than two dozen others will be in charge of my personal security."

"I agree, my lord," she said and her grin was wide enough to split her face in half.

Looking at Altus, Galen said. "This is not a slight against you, Altus. In times of peace you will still be in charge of the castle guard and they'll answer to only you or I. However, in times of war, Lucinda takes control. I hope that you two can come together as colleagues and form a trust amongst yourselves so neither feels slighted if something doesn't go your way."

"I admit to feeling a bit slighted, my lord," Altus said. "To be put into a position below a woman, no matter how accomplished, feels like a punch to the gut." Surprisingly, Lucinda didn't look offended.

"I understand, Altus," Galen said. "I'll also understand if you feel you can't serve in that capacity because of the situation. I'll allow you and any other man that wants to resign the option to do so with no recourse whatsoever. I'll even see about giving you a severance bonus so you're not without while you seek out other options."

Altus looked offended. "My lord," he said. "That's a generous offer, but I swore an oath to serve and my word is my bond." He looked at Lucinda. "I'll do everything in my power to make the transition as seamless as possible, cap-, er, general." He bowed his head slightly.

"I hoped you would," Galen said. "Now, I want you to spread word of this new decree among the guard. I trust you'll know of any women that currently serve and won't act overly harshly to them in the process of the transition?"

"I don't know of any, my lord," Altus said.

"They'll be much more reserved than the others," Lucinda said. "They'll never take their helm off in public and in some cases will sleep in them if they have to sleep in open quarters."

"Ah," Altus said. "Then I know of a few. I'll seek them out and send them your way, Lady General, if you're of a mind to have them. I'll not risk any undue recourse against them because of some backwater thinking."

"Lady General, huh?" Galen mused. "That's got a nice ring to it."

"That would be immensely helpful, Altus," Lucinda said. "Thank you. Are you willing to meet with me tomorrow for further discussion on the topic?"

"I am, Lady General," Altus said, standing. "Just seek me out, if you will." He turned to Galen. "If there's nothing further, my lord?"

"Actually, there is," Galen said. "Prepare the castle for an attack."

"An attack, my lord?" Altus asked, confused.

"I killed Jasper," Galen said. "I don't think the emperor is going to ignore such a slight so off-handedly."

"Indeed, my lord," Altus said, bowing. "I'll see to it at once."

"Good man," Galen said. "Goodnight."

Dismissed, Altus promptly left. Lucinda stood. "I should be going as well, Lord Galen," she said, standing.

He approached her and took her hand. "Every guard that was with you in Redd, I want you to offer them a place at your side as my personal guard," he said. "The women Altus sends your way as well. Aside from that, use your personal discretion as to who else to recruit."

"As you say, Lord Galen," she said, looking down at their entwined hands. She looked back up at him, hope in her eyes.

He studied her for a moment. "I can't promise you anything," he said. When he didn't say anything further, she nodded. He leaned in to kiss her softly on the cheek. "Thank you for today, for everything you've done for me."

She blushed again, a deeper shade of red. "You're welcome, my lord," she said. "Would you like me to depart at once to search out the altar?"

"No," Galen said. "Get some sleep and take care of it in the morning."

"As you will, my love," she said. Then, realizing what she said, blushed an even deeper shade of red. "I mean, my lord."

She released his hand and promptly left. Galen walked across the hall to find a bath had been drawn. Which was good because he was still covered in blood, though it had long dried so it felt like skin peeling from a sunburn. The water wasn't overly hot so it must have been ready for a while. Fresh towels and soap were placed on the table beside the tub. Looking around and making sure the room was empty, he stripped and stepped into the tub. His heart lurched as he remembered the last bath he had with both of his wives. He started sobbing softly. In moments he was full-on wailing in despair as he washed himself.

Feeling like he was ready to break, he dipped himself in the water and stayed there, submerged. He wanted to go home. Every time he closed his eyes he saw Matilda's face in horror as her body went up in flames. He saw Miranda's body go slack as the dagger slipped into her jaw like a hot knife through butter. And each time, his wives faces transitioned to Elle's. Holding his breath until he passed out, he decided to end it. Maybe then he could go back home. Only, he never passed out. The lack of oxygen to his brain should have knocked him out after a few minutes. However, the water was cold by the time he gave up.

He got out of the tub and dried off. Leaving his discarded clothes on the bath room floor, he walked back to his room, noticing that his bed was made with the covers pulled back. He didn't even bother to climb under the covers and just fell on the bed. It took a long time for him to fall asleep but when he did, it was fitful and laden with nightmares.

He woke up the next morning to find that he had either somehow worked his way under the covers, or somebody put him under the covers. Getting up, he noticed a set of clothes laid out for him and breakfast on a tray waiting for him. He ignored the breakfast and put on the clothes. He stayed in his room all day, plotting how to kill himself so he could go back home. He was certain he would if only he could end his life. He took the knife provided for breakfast and tried to slit his throat. Nothing happened. He tried to stick the point under his chin and thrust upward, dying the same way Miranda had. The knife just crumpled against his skin like clay.

He tried hanging himself but none of the fabric was strong enough to restrict his airways. He tried choking himself out but every time he lost consciousness, he woke up a few hours later still breathing. Every so often there would be a knock at the door and he'd answer it. It would always be someone checking on him to see if he needed anything. He left all his food and water untouched, but he never got weak or felt like he was dying of thirst.

On the third day after his wives' deaths, they held the funeral and he had to go out to attend it. As usual, his clothes were laid out for him by the time he awoke. The clearing had been cleaned out and room made for everyone that wanted to attend. Baron Baron had showed up and some other minor nobles but Galen ignored them. They offered their condolences and left soon after the fire started. Galen stayed until the embers had long extinguished, just staring at the altar where both of his wives' ashes started fluttering away in the breeze. Long after everyone was gone, Galen stood. What he didn't notice was that Lucinda and five of her guards stood just inside the tree line.

Late that night, having exhausted every idea to end his life, Galen decided that he'd try one last option. He dreaded going up the spire where Miranda had taken him on their first night in the castle, but if there was any way left to end his life, this would be it. Climbing up the spire, tears filled his eyes as the memories flooded in. The many nights he and Miranda had made love up here. The new moon and Matilda's giddy excitement upon seeing it from this angle. He stood on top of the wall and looked down. It didn't seem that far.

As soon as his feet left the wall, the door behind him burst open. As he fell head first he thought to look up. He could see Lucinda's horrified face looking down on him, watching in helpless agony as he fell to the street below. He smiled up at her and closed his eyes.

12