Following Laura's Footsteps

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How much to fix that? Get us to maybe ten percent above the industry average?"

"I'd need to run some figures to make sure, but my gut tells me about two, maybe three million."

"And if we make it retroactive to the first of the year?"

She whistled, "three to five mill, maybe more."

The company had over fifty million in Term Certificates and Bearer Bonds for a rainy day. This was a torrential downpour, time to pry some money loose.

"Alright, this is what I want to do. I want a room large enough to hold everyone in the hotel across the street on Friday, day after tomorrow. Then I want you to..." I laid out my plans.

I met Laura over at the hotel for dinner that night. She took my breath away when she followed the Maître D into the dining room. I don't know which designer dress she was wearing, but she glowed in it. Almost every male head in the restaurant turned and followed her progress, annoying a lot of other women.

"You could have brought David," I offered.

She tittered, "David, Henry and Mamma all went swimming in the hotel pool. David's having a wonderful time here. Thanks for that. They said they'd take care of him for the evening. AND... are you ready for this?"

Her face was lit up and excited about something. My curiosity was up.

"Henry and Mamma are really hitting it off. Mamma's already making cow eyes at him."

I just about choked. Henry and Mamma? Mamma making cow eyes at Henry? I didn't see that coming. Couldn't even wrap my mind around it. Perhaps I should increase Henry's medical coverage. People did have a way of ending up flat on their asses around Mamma.

"Wow," I offered, "maybe it'll calm her down if she gets laid."

We about died laughing at that thought.

"You've got bruises on your face! What happened?"

"That mother of yours has a hell of a mean right hook. She smacked the stupid right out of me. Very educational. But to be fair she was right and I deserved it for the way I've been treating you and others."

We talked through dinner like two people starved for each other. Which in a way we were. I couldn't take my eyes off her. Our hands seemed to find each other's frequently. Her touch thrilled me to the bones. I knew deep in my heart I would love this woman till the day I died. She was my soul mate and I'd known that the minute she first walked through my door all those years ago. I could only hope she felt the same way about me.

Maybe enough to forgive me!

Could there be a place in her heart where forgiveness was even possible for my sins?

After dinner, we retired to a comfy couch in the quiet piano bar. Laura snuggled up under my arm and laid her head on my shoulder. Words didn't seem necessary. Together we listened to the music and watched the twinkling lights on the big Christmas tree in the lobby. Merry revellers strolled noisily by, coming and going to various employer hosted Christmas parties in the hotel. Something else I'd neglected. That wouldn't happen again.

I whispered in her ear, "would it be OK to kiss you? I've been dying to do that for years."

She didn't bother answering just sought my lips out with her own. It was heavenly. I'd waited so long for this moment. A while later I realized the waitress was standing waiting with a bill in her hand tapping her foot. She had a very amused look on her face.

"We're closing up now sir, can we settle the bill?"

We were shocked. I looked at my watch and somehow more than two hours had passed without us even realizing. Laura turned red with embarrassment while I hauled out a credit card.

We laughed about it all the way up to her room and we stood at the door embracing one last time.

Looking down into her beautiful eyes I hated to ruin the moment, but I had to explain some things to her.

"There's going to be major changes coming in the next two days. Your part of it is to stay here and relax. Get a massage, go to the hairdresser, get a manicure... anything!. If you want to take David somewhere get Henry to drive you. Buy whatever you need. Henry will help you and take care of the bills. We'll be having a breakfast meeting in this hotel with all the employees Friday morning and I want you there. You and I need to talk about us so after that's done we can make some decisions."

We kissed goodnight and Angel Wings floated me down the hallway with the biggest smile plastered on my face. I sure don't remember walking!

**********

Sheila and her staff worked hard to set up the Friday meeting. Everyone enjoyed a huge company breakfast in the hotel. After I'd chosen a bar stool in the centre of the stage to sit on. It was time for me to make things right.

The crowd quieted. I started speaking, facing up to the people I'd let down so badly. I tried to control the quaver in my voice from all the horrific emotions I was feeling.

"I'm here this morning to admit I've failed you as a leader. I let myself get carried away with my own greedy desires while failing to understand that I wasn't taking care of the people that worked so hard to help the company get where it is."

My voice broke, overcome with emotion, but I had to go on, "Today we're going to make up for that. Sheila and her staff have worked miracles in the last couple of days. They're handing out envelopes to you, but please, don't open them till everyone has theirs."

I had to hand it to Sheila's thoughtfulness, somewhere she'd gotten hold of large red Santa envelopes. They were perfect for the contents and the time of year.

I sat and waited until it was sorted out and everyone was holding theirs. "Please open them."

There was a collective gasp from the crowd and more than a few oh my god's.

I smiled when I heard a small shriek of joy from behind the curtains. Laura had opened hers. I'd done some good there that made me feel a bit better. Her back pay was six figures. I'd exercised my executive prerogatives and added a retroactive bonus that took it into seven figures. Then there were the shares in the company along with the stock options to go with them. Her loyalty and hard work deserved it.

Even without me now she was very well-off young woman.

I started with the good news, "effective immediately everyone is getting a thirty percent raise. Secondly the cheque in the envelope represents back payment of that raise to the beginning of the year. For most of you that's a five figure sum."

There was a loud collective cheer.

I waved them down, "there's more. I've been made aware of some issues with our benefit programs so effective immediately the company is paying one hundred percent of everything. No deductibles, no co-pays. We've also added eyeglass, prescription and children's braces along with other extras. We're also funding a pension plan with one hundred percent of the contributions coming from the company so that you'll have a comfortable retirement."

There was an even louder cheer, people beating their fists on the tables in happiness.

I waited till it died down again, "some of you may have experienced financial issues such as repossession or foreclosure because of my greed. I'd like to fix that. Anyone with current problems, please come and see me personally next week. If it was a past problem we'll find a way to fix it including co-signing for new loans if your credit has been wrecked."

This time people were quiet looking around the room at each other. This was unprecedented.

Some wag piped up, "someone tell me it ain't April Fools day." That got a laugh from everyone, including me.

"Only for you if you want it to be Larry," I shot back at him in jest.

He laughingly shook his head violently, no, he wasn't that eager.

"That takes care of the financial issues but there's one more thing I'd like to change. Years ago I laid out a rigid policy on employee fraternization. I was seriously concerned at the time about improper behaviour or unwanted advances. What I failed to comprehend was that sometimes people fall in love. I never wanted to stand in the way of that. Sheila has assured me the company has grown large enough now that our fraternization rules can be re-written to allow people to be people. If you have a love interest or want to date and there's a conflict, we can resolve it by moving one party to a new supervisor to prevent any claims of favouritism. If there isn't a conflict, enjoy yourselves. If you've been hiding a relationship because of our rules, please bring it forward. There will be no punishment. We'll find some way of resolving it, there's no need to hide anymore."

I got up off the chair, "Laura, I need you out here."

She walked out on the stage looking like a million bucks in one of her new dresses. More than a few wolf whistles followed her, making her blush.

"What is it Chris?"

God she was beautiful. Why had I waited so long to do the right thing?

I took a small box out of my suit pocket and got down on one knee in front of her to a collective gasp from the audience.

"Laura, I've been a fool. If you never speak to me again I'd understand completely. I've loved you forever and let my own stupidity stand in the way of telling you that. I don't deserve you after the way I've behaved, but I hope you and David will forgive me. Will you marry me?"

She screamed a loud yes, then jumped on top of me knocking me over. I fit the ring on her finger, the audience cheering us with a standing ovation. We kissed to seal the deal and got up.

I let them cheer for a minute to get it out of their system while I whispered a question in Laura's ear. She nodded yes.

"And with Laura's kind agreement you're all invited to our wedding."

I had to stop again because of the cheering.

I waved them down, "I have to tell you all our future staff meetings won't be this good."

There were a few good-natured boos at that.

"But one more thing. Take the rest of today off and cash your cheques. Also take Monday off, I'm declaring it a long weekend. Go and enjoy yourself. Spend some money for Christmas, have some fun. Oh, and we'll be closed from December twenty third to Jan second. A paid company holiday so you can relax and enjoy Christmas with your family. And thank you. Thank you so much for what you've given to this company and I hope you'll choose to forgive the idiot that lost sight of all the good things you've brought us."

That cheer just about brought the hotel down.

With everyone filing out the doors Henry and Mamma walked up holding hands. David followed. I had to look again, I really didn't see the Henry-Mamma connection coming.

David was something else. I could see I was going to have to put in a lot of time to get him to accept me. There was anger in his eyes. Still, I also thought I saw a glimpse of hope. Hope for something better. He'd lived a life of harsh poverty in his young years, all because of me. Well, maybe not entirely. His father had deserted Laura and David at birth, so he bore some responsibility. I knew instinctively this wasn't something I could buy my way out of. His anger toward me, his real father and perhaps all men, probably ran pretty deep.

Money to buy things resembles going to DisneyLand. Lots of fun, but sooner or later the reality of day-to-day life returns. No, David would require my time and personal effort to be a father to him. To bring back some of the things he should have been able to enjoy in life. Perhaps I needed to find a counsellor to help the two of us find our way. Help to bridge his anger. Whatever the future held between us, it was time for me to man-up and fix my mistakes.

Henry looked handsome in his new sports jacket and Mamma had a new dress on. Looking at her I could see where Laura got her good looks. With any luck that mean right hook had skipped Laura's generation.

Mamma put out her hand to shake mine, "there's hope for you Chris. That was a fine performance. Now get busy and marry my girl. Give me some more grandbabies."

I looked at Laura and shrugged my shoulders, "I ain't going to disappoint Mamma and get smacked again honey. A dozen grandbabies it is!"

She moved into my arms and stared into my eyes, "I can't wait."

I thought about what had happened this morning. It was a good start. Still, the road back from Assholeville is a long one and fraught with difficulties. Looking at my new family I was sure that I, no, make that we, could handle anything now. I had my dream girl and a new son.

Then there was my future mother-in-law who would keep me flying straight. Flexing my still sore jaw, the "or else" was obvious!

I felt a peaceful contentment that had long been missing in my life. I took a deep breathe savouring the fragrance of Laura's hair, enjoying the feeling of her loving softness in my arms.

It was going to be the best Christmas ever.

Merry Christmas from Gordo12

Author's Note: This story is for the winter contest. Please vote and comment, it's the only payment we get.

PS: The favourite story and favourite author buttons are badly underused on this site. If you enjoy my demented little ramblings, click on them too please. The site will notify you on your control panel of new stories.