Football Injuries Alter Lives

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Franny was out the door early as she had weight training before school. None of my calls or messages had been returned. Mixed emotions again. On my way to work I stopped in to see Doug. His girlfriend was there again. No, he hadn't heard from his mom recently. He was thrilled that they were releasing him today.

Around 10 Am I was summoned to the front desk and found a man waiting to speak with me. Nate Bellows identified himself as a detective. They'd found Shay's car and she was locked in the trunk. They transported her to Merciful Heart Hospital. Throughout all of this I had to answer the typical 'where were you' questions. Eventually Detective Bellows got bored and wished me well. The way he said it made me think there was more to the story.

Attempting to follow the 'concerned husband' script I took some more personal time off and headed over to Merciful Heart. When I arrived Shay was not in her room so I waited in area designated for family.

A couple of nurses were chuckling "My guess is that the husband did it."

"Probably, but you gotta give him kudos. I've never seen one painted up like that and now we've got two of em."

Were they talking about Shay and Robert? Now I really wanted to see her.

When they rolled Shay back into her room I couldn't help it. I broke out laughing. She was painted cyan from head to toe. Printer's ink I was told. It would eventually wear off. The hospital staff did what they could, but only time would make it go away completely. She was in for several sessions of rubbing alcohol and hair spray blotting. Little by little it would go away. To go with her new look was a two-inch red A on her forehead. A crude tattoo is what the nurse called it. A knife sliced the A into the skin and then some red ink was pressed into the wound. Crude but effective.

Shay claimed that she was carjacked. I noticed the nurse rolling her eyes.

"I look hideous!" as Shay sobbed.

"But at least you're alive. Where were you when this happened? What time?"

My questions were ignored as Shay continued to weep. Her chart was on the door so I glanced at some of the pictures. I almost burst out laughing again. She had a big red A on her chest too. About twelve inches tall. Same thing with a knife and red ink.

When I stepped out into the hall, one of the other nurses telling another "And she looks just like her boyfriend. He was brought in a few hours after her this morning."

"Boyfriend?" the other nurse responded.

"Well that's what we're guessing. Different last names you know but both wearing wedding bands."

I wandered the halls looking for the room with Robert Marks in it. He had no visitors. Shay showed no other injuries however both of Robert's legs were in casts. Don't you love it when a plan comes together? It was a very productive afternoon back at work.

+ + + +

The local evening news had a story about an apparent break in where the homeowner had his legs broken and was found covered in cyan printer's ink. Crimestoppers would like to pay you for any information leading to the arrest of the perpetrators of this dastardly deed.

When I called University Hospital they no longer had Doug as a patient. I'm back to being on a 'need to know' basis. I'll hear from him when money runs low.

Franny came in at her normal time "No mom again?"

"Yes and no. She's a patient at Merciful Heart. Apparently she was carjacked. They painted her cyan then cut a little scarlet A on her forehead and a big scarlet A on her chest."

"Like that novel about Puritans and adultery?"

"That's what I'm guessing. There's a guy in the same hospital also decorated up that way. He was found at his home. Your mom claims she was carjacked but I'm not buying it. Feel free to go visit her, but I'm kicking my feet up and searching the internet for divorce attorneys."

"I'm good. Unreal. How can you just sit there so calm?"

"I've had all day to think about it. She's been cranky for at least a month. I guess she wanted out. I got two great kids out of her but it's time to turn the page. I wish I had a picture. She looks ridiculous."

Franny perked up "Hey, I'm off to see mom!"

I just smiled. Yep, she even got her mom to show her the big red A. The pictures are up on her social media page along with information about her lover being in a similar situation. Tossed under the bus, big time. Shay's folks and mine called so I repeated Shay's carjack story and gave them room information. I even heard from Doug. He seemed oblivious to the implications.

Since I no longer cared about how Tech's football team was doing, I convinced Franny that she should take her campus visit this weekend. Within an hour she had the flights, hotel, and car rental all booked.

Before we flew out Friday afternoon Shay texted 'Are you coming to see me?'

I just wanted to reply 'NO' but Franny convinced me to send 'No, but your boyfriend has two broken legs so maybe he needs company. He's five doors down by the elevators.'

After landing I discovered a steady stream of denials had piled up while we were inflight. I simply ignored the calls. I had a delightful weekend with Franny, well actually I handed her off Friday night to the soccer team and had only received texts since. Cherishing my own company for forty-eight hours I was ready to get home. I'd spent some time making an appointment to start the divorce. On Saturday night I watched Tech's game. Glad I did. Doug got more airtime than all of the previous games combined. They even ran his hospital room interview. His girlfriend has an uphill battle to stay in that position. There were several starry-eyed cuties surrounding Doug.

When Franny and I returned late Sunday the lights in the house were on and a few cars were out front. Ambush time. We walked in to find the harlot and her parents sitting in the front room. Shay had a ghost-like glow to her as the cyan still lingered. The red A on her forehead was covered by a bandage.

Ignoring Shay I looked at her folks "Hey pops, grams! What brings you out this way so late at night?"

"Cut the crap Breeze. You weren't around to bring Shay home."

"Oh yeah, I forgot that her boyfriend has two broken legs. My bad."

"He's not my boyfriend" from Shay.

"Lover? Fuck buddy?" giggled Franny.

Her grandmother responded "YOUNG LADY WATCH YOU MOUTH!"

Franny was on a roll "So mom, do cyan cocks taste like all the others?"

Shay jumped up and I think she was going to slap Franny. Her father yanked her down by her ponytail and she plopped back between her parents.

"Don't you EVER threaten my granddaughter again" came from her pissed off father.

I took charge "Listen up Shay. You destroyed your marriage and I'm filing for divorce. Expect to be served this week. Franny will be off to college next fall so we need to work out visitation. Once she's gone I'm selling my half of the house."

"Just like that? Take it or leave it?"

"Oh now you want to talk? A bit late for that don't you think? I'd ask you why, but I've already figured out that it doesn't really matter."

Shay's dad chimed in "She's going to have some legal bills. You're on the hook for those."

"Legal bills?"

"Yeah, the police cited her for providing false information. They used GPS tracking to pinpoint her car to the residence of the apparent break-in. There was no carjacking."

"Wonderful. I'll probably have to split the cost of some new cyan outfits too!"

Franny giggled "And cyan eye-liner. Cyan accessories too like purses and shoes."

Shay's mother snapped at us "Enough already."

"Well why don't you make it easy on everybody and take her with you. We'll even help pack a suitcase or two."

"No, this is my house and I'm staying" barked Shay.

"Well it's been a long weekend and I'm going to bed. You can sleep on the couch."

I locked the bedroom door. Don't know when they left but Shay's parents weren't around in the morning. Franny was already gone. I left as quickly as I could.

+ + + +

Epilogue:

Divorce papers were served to Shay, at her workplace of course. No need to play nice now. Took time but we're divorced. Franny persuaded the judge to allow her to stay in the house with me as primary caretaker. She cited Shay as being a poor role model.

One day on the kitchen table was a present waiting for me from Franny. It was a shirt that read 'I'm almost as AWESOME as my daughter!' I wore it to her college signing day at the high school. Franny was going to try to succeed playing soccer for a Division I school.

As expected I had to endure several interviews with the authorities. Always present was my attorney as I wasn't about to let my guard down. Since Teresa's brother runs a print shop, she and he were mentioned as persons-of-interest, but no charges were ever announced.

Doug recovered and started his sophomore year as the number one punter again. It still amazes me that nobody has ever mentioned seeing Shay with someone else at that football game. The caption on the screen must have fooled everybody but one.

Franny's freshman year was trying for her. No playing time as she was red-shirted due to the number of seniors. However, they renewed her scholarship and she's now getting lots of playing time. Doug has let his hair grow and has a new girlfriend just about every time I see him. At home or on the road I attend both kids' games, work permitting. What better way to spend their inheritance.

I don't date much but that's slowly beginning to change. Took me the better part of a year to even have a one-night stand. It felt like I was cheating. What's up with that? I miss what I had but not what it turned into.

As expected I see Shay at major events involving our kids. She's brought a date a few times, but it's never the same guy. If we happen to chat I end it quickly trying not to be rude before mingling amongst the other guests. Not letting her ease her conscience is my last little bit of petty revenge.

12