Forevermore

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Am I alive?" I woke up confused. I looked up at Camille.

"Is Lenore dead?"

"You are both alive. No one dies on my watch, not unless I want them to. 'Never again! this time it's personal!' remember. Now rest; you are safe. Lenore is in the next bed." I looked across at Lenore, I could see her breathing gently and the heart monitor silently traced her heart beat. I toyed with the idea of going to her but had no strength.

"Rest!" ordered Camille. So I did.

I had suffered a massive heart attack bought on by severe shock; in other words; my heart had broken. There were no lasting effects apart from debilitating weakness. In the second week of rehabilitation; I sent Camille back to George. After reviewing our medical records she agreed. The Doctors seemed very relieved; Camille had ridden roughshod over everyone to ensure our survival! George and Dr Rob came to see me and explained that I would be retiring as an active partner, I went to disagree but Dr Rob put his hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eye; he didn't need to say a word, I agreed. After a couple of weeks, I could walk.

What about Lenore? She woke up on the second day. Her eyes were sad - she had hoped to die.

"Why?" I asked.

She went to answer then, looking confused, stopped.

"Why would you leave me?"

She opened her mouth, but nothing came out.

A nurse and doctor came in, they fussed around poking and prodding then Camille arrived, ordered me away and took over.

Lenore's brain had been starved of oxygen; parts of her basal ganglia and cortex had been damaged. She had lost the ability to balance; she could not coordinate her muscles, including the speech muscles.

They allowed me to dress in real clothes. That's when I found the envelope. I knew what was inside.

'My darling Edgar.

Please do not be sad. I have to do this because I love you so much and I know that you will be better off without me.

I am a horrible person and a terrible wife. When I am gone, you will be able to meet someone else, you deserve better than me. You are rich, attractive and charming; no woman could resist you.

Today is one year since I broke your heart. I can't believe that I hurt such a wonderful man. I cannot believe you forgave me and took me back. I cannot live with the guilt; I don't deserve to live.

Please say sorry to Elizabeth.

I am sorry if I hurt the two of you - I'm sure you will see that this is for the best.

Please forget about me.

You are the love of my life and my love for you will last

Forevermore.'

Chapter 22

She had the very best treatment and the brain is able to reroute around damage. By the time I was able to go home, Lenore had been fitted out with a motorised wheelchair and was able to communicate using a keyboard that spoke in a mechanical voice.

I was with Lenore when they fitted the keyboard and explained how it worked. She understood immediately how it worked. She moved her fingers painfully slowly on the keys, and then they sped up as muscle memory returned.

"I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY..."

I took her home the next day.

Dr Rob came to visit every day and chatted to Lenore for hours. I offered to pay him for his time but he just put his hand on my shoulder and looked at me. I gave him the suicide note and told him our entire story. He assured me that, now that he had all the facts, he would vanquish all of Lenore's personal demons, and cure her.

There was a constant stream of visitors; Elizabeth and her husband (she had eloped to Mauritius and married Nick); George, his wife and Camille visited at least once a week, I suspect that Camille took the opportunity to sweep the house for bugs and check the medical supplies.

One surprise visitor was Inspector (formally acting sergeant) John Smith. I was a bit worried that his presence would be a reminder of bad times; I needn't have worried, he was a 'nice sergeant' ('nice inspector' now I guess). He chatted to Lenore about how his career had moved on, policing in Adelaide and how the local coppers had been surreptitiously keeping an eye out for her. The local boys had taken her suicide attempt badly. He told her that if she had to promise to never do it again; otherwise, there would be a constable by her side 24/7! She apologised for upsetting him and the Adelaide police force. She also promised to never do it again. He became a firm friend and a regular visitor.

My mind snapped back to the present; back to the now; back to my study. There was a tap-tap-tapping outside my door. I got up and stepped through the door. Lenore's bed dominated the room. She was tapping a message on the attached keyboard.

"I WOKE UP AND YOU WERE NOT HERE. I WAS AFRAID."

"No need to be afraid my love, I was just in my study."

"THANK YOU FOR COMING TO ME," I smiled and stroked her hair.

"WILL YOU ALWAYS COME TO MY RESCUE?"

"Forevermore."

The End