Forgive?

Story Info
Can Beth and Nate forgive when it really counts?
13.7k words
4.18
15.6k
17
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I want to thank everyone who takes the time to read my stories as I seek to learn and improve my writing. I especially want to thank NoraFares for her help and friendship. To twist a quote from the movie 'As Good As It Gets,' she makes me want to be a better writer. If you want to read great writing and enjoy wonderful characters, look up her stories.

This story has no sex, so if you're looking for 9" penises and velvety love canals, you may want to choose a different story. This is a unique love story about a couple who face an unexpected trial. I hope you enjoy it, and I sincerely hope you'll vote and leave comments to help me get better.

No one under 18 has sex in this story.

Thanks for reading.

©BarryJames1952 - October 2019

*****

Forgive?

Chapter 1: Family - It's Everything

My name is Nate Freed.

Life has taught me a lot of lessons, and that's especially true in recent years. One lesson I learned early in life is that family is everything. Guarding your heart and the hearts of those you love is a duty, an honor, and a way of life.

Many of the struggles people face in the world around us are alien to my family and our experience. We live in a community where strong faith is normal. That doesn't mean we're perfect—far from it. But it means our lives are anchored so when we do fail, we have the means and attitude to seek forgiveness and recovery.

For example, consider the marriages in my family. All I've ever witnessed are strong, committed relationships that last a lifetime. My grandparent's entire family tree consists of 6 married children and 27 grandchildren, 18 of whom are married while the other 9 are still too young or are still searching for their life partner. In that entire group, there's not a single divorce. Statistics indicate that 50% of all marriages and 41% of all first marriages end in divorce. That makes my family seem like a miracle. To us, it's just normal.

The same is true for my wife's family. Beth grew up just four doors down from the home my parents bought when they were married. Both sets of parents still live in those family homesteads. We all attended the same church and have been close friends for as long as I can remember. So close that my wife's older sister, Melody, married my older brother Paul. My younger brother, Pete, tried to follow the trend by dating Beth's youngest sister, Trish, but that didn't work out. Pete is still looking for his lifemate since Trish married Sean Smith, who is a fine man but not related to me in any way.

Understanding my family and the way we think makes events that follow easier to understand.

Chapter 2: Growing up Together

I was two years old when the Haines family bought the house just down the street. There weren't very many kids in the neighborhood at that time, so when my parents welcomed them to the neighborhood and found a couple of the same age as them with a growing family, a strong friendship formed immediately. The two families never had to knock to enter each other's homes.

I can't remember a time when I didn't know Beth. We were inseparable in our toddler and preschool years. In our early school years, she was my best friend even when all the other boys claimed to hate girls. I was always her protector and confidant. We shared everything, including the innocent 'show-me-yours' experiences.

I'll never forget the first time I told Beth that I loved her. We were in fourth grade. At the family dinner table one night, my parents were teaching my older brother, Paul, what it meant to love someone. I listened to every word they said and thought about Beth as they described that love was caring more about the needs of the one you love than you care about your own needs and that you want to be with them more than anything else. I knew that was how I felt about Beth. I had to tell her and I remember the conversation as if it happened yesterday.

I ran to Beth's house after dinner and pulled her out to the swing set behind her house. You would have thought I was dragging her from a house on fire.

"Nate, slow down. Geez, what's wrong with you?"

"I just have to tell you something."

"You're hurting my arm!"

"I'm sorry."

"I'm okay. What do you need to tell me?"

I started to freeze. "Well..."

"Well, what?"

"Beth, I heard mom and dad talking to Paul about how he feels about his girlfriend. I... I love you."

"What?"

"I love you."

"What do you mean?"

"I know we're kids, but I heard everything they said about what love is. Everything they said is how you and I are. I want to be with you all the time."

"I know, Nate. I love all my friends and family, but you're different. I love you, too!"

We were nine years old. We were aware of how silly it sounded, and yet we were serious.

That budding love was put to the test in less than a year later. In fifth grade, the separation of kid social groups really started to kick in. I pretty much got along with everyone, but the guys that were clearly athletic and destined for sports stardom were a group I wanted to be part of. Beth was always cute, but like many ten-year-olds, she needed braces. Four of the future jocks and I were together on the playground, and they started making fun of Beth the first week her braces were installed.

"Hey, metal-mouth. Nice look! I guess you won't need an ugly mask for Halloween."

I said nothing. It hurt me that Tim said that to Beth, but I wanted to be part of the guy's group. I just smiled. I'll never forget the look in Beth's eyes when she looked at me. She was quietly crying when we went back to class and avoided me all day. She ran home after school ahead of me instead of us walking together. I went home and went to my bedroom and cried. I knew what I had done. I knew I was wrong. My mom came to my room and talked to me, and convinced me to go to Beth and apologize after dinner.

It felt like I was walking to the gallows. My stomach and chest hurt. I was on the edge of tears. We normally just walked into each other's houses, but I knocked and Beth's mom answered.

"Nate! What happened today? Beth won't come out of her room."

"Hi, Mrs. Haines." My tears started to fall. "I...I was...mean to her. Can I talk to her?"

"Go ahead up to her room. I hope she talks to you."

I marched solemnly up the stairs and tried her door. It was locked, so I knocked.

"Beth?"

"Go away!"

"Please, Beth. I'm sorry."

"Leave me alone."

I started crying. I couldn't hold it back. "Beth, I was stupid and wrong. Please let me come in."

"No. You think I'm ugly." She was bawling and sniffling.

"That's not right. I think you're the prettiest girl in the world. Please let me in."

I heard her walk to the door and unlock it. I went in and I held her as we cried together.

"I was stupid. It will never happen again. I love you, just like I said before."

"Then, why?" She asked while still sniffling.

"I wanted Tim and the guys to like me, and I was stupid. I mean it, you are the prettiest girl there is. I won't let it happen again."

"What?"

"No one will be mean to you again if I'm around. You're the only one that's important. I don't care what happens, it's you and me—okay?"

We held each other for a while. Our youth sabotaged our ability to express the depth of what we were creating. But we both understood. We loved each other, and it would be the two of us against the world from that time on.

The next day on the playground, I was with Beth when Tim and the guys came over. I got into Tim's face.

"Tell Beth you're sorry for what you said."

"No. She's an ugly metal-mouth."

I bloodied his nose and Brad's too. I kicked Jason in the nuts, and Craig ran off when I went back to punching Tim over and over. That was my first three-day suspension. Beth's mom let her stay home so we could keep each other company. Plus, she knew the jocks would want to reclaim their pride without me there.

After that, nobody messed with Beth or me.

In junior high school, our friendship remained strong. Holding hands and walking together was just who we were. Beth and I were always a 'we' and were rarely away from each other. Dating formally before we were sixteen was strictly forbidden by our parents, but Beth and I managed to have our first serious kiss by the time we were 14.

I don't ever remember not loving Beth.

In our high school years, I watched that cute little girl (now with gorgeous, straight teeth) grow into a beautiful woman. Sure, she may not have been a Miss America contender, but everything I saw in her and about her was beautiful. By 11th grade, she had reached her full height of 5'5" and weighed about 120 pounds. Her breasts were not going to get her on Baywatch, but they were perfect in my eyes—not too big and not too small. Her long, flowing auburn hair matched her glowing hazel eyes perfectly and framed the face I loved—the face I knew I'd gaze into and cherish my whole life.

Beth and I complimented each other. I was the football player—not a star by any means—who had a bit of a temper. Beth never gave me cause to lose it, but a few guys did over the years when they said anything negative about Beth or, even worse, tried to catch her affections. After that first time in fifth grade, I was suspended three more times for fighting but I never lost a battle. Every fight had something to do with protecting Beth, and I'd do it the same way again no matter the price.

Beth was so easy for me to love. Beth was the stable one and knew how to pull me back from the dark side. She was also extremely smart—number two in our graduating class. She was always calm yet upbeat, friendly, outgoing, and humble. She had a charisma that made people flock to her, and she clearly cared for people—especially those that really needed someone to care for them. I remember in sixth grade when Anne, a shy girl whose family was new in the area, was sitting alone during recess. Beth went out of her way to befriend her and include her with the other kids. Anne is still one of Beth's closest friends.

Beth was honest beyond belief. If she did something the least bit wrong, she couldn't hide it from her parents, teachers, or me. She would admit it and ask forgiveness even if she knew she wouldn't get caught. Her conscience ruled her, and she couldn't function if it wasn't clear.

Beth's sixteenth birthday was also the day of our first, official date. Since I turned sixteen about two months before her, I had my driver's license. It was on a Saturday, and Beth's family had a party for her in the afternoon. At six in the evening, I opened the car door for my now 'official girlfriend' as we drove off to see a movie.

We both felt the same thing. This was a milestone, and our relationship was now serious. Very serious. We talked about our excitement for the first date on the way to the movies. I parked the car and looked into her eyes.

"Beth, I love you." Our lips met and our tongues danced with a passion that surpassed any kiss we ever shared before.

"I love you too, Nate."

"I know we've been together as friends forever. And I know I've loved you since we were too young to even know what that meant. I wish there were better words to tell you just how much you mean to me, Beth. You are my everything."

I handed her another gift for her birthday. She opened it and her eyes lit up as she stared at the heart necklace I had planned to give her for this extremely special night. It was engraved to mark the occasion. 'Beth, you are my everything. Love, Nate.'

Beth grabbed me and gave me a kiss that set a new benchmark for passion. The previous benchmark was only minutes old. I dreamed of how much higher we could push the limits.

The night we graduated from high school, our two families joined for a party along with some other neighbors. My dad and Beth's dad, both with pride overflowing, gave speeches of congratulations. While everyone was paying attention, I had a few words to say as my dad finished.

"Mom, Dad, so many of our friends suffer through less-than-ideal family life for too many reasons to mention. Mr. & Mrs. Haines, I know Beth feels the same way when I say we both thank God for such great parents and families."

The guests all applauded as Beth joined me to share her support for my words. It also gave me time to gather the courage I needed.

"As you all know, I needed someone special to keep me in line all throughout school years. Beth, you are my rock, the calming influence I need, and the love of my life."

I lowered myself to one knee and I saw recognition of the moment in her eyes.

With tears in my eyes, I asked her the question I wanted to ask as long as I could remember. "Beth Haines, would you be my strength for the rest of my life and marry me?"

She tackled me in a flurry of tears, kisses, and yeses.

Whooping, hollering, and wild applause erupted from the whole group. We discussed marriage from the time we first both confessed our young love for each other. This was not a surprise for us or for our families. Our parents knew this day would come soon, so there was no question of being too young or not ready. Beth and I were flooded with love, support, and acceptance.

We were young, very much in love, and very anxious to get married. We both believed sex was for marriage so, to be honest, we were really, really horny. I mean...really! December 16th, six months after we graduated from high school, the year we both turned 18, Beth and I finally and officially became one.

Chapter 3: Marriage & Careers

I was bursting with love and pride. Beth was finally my wife, and she's all I ever wanted and more. We spent our first night as man and wife in our cheap little one-bedroom apartment and made love for the first time. We were inexperienced, but not naïve. We read about, talked about, and fantasied together for years about the physical love we would show each other. Our plans for that first time were carefully and completely planned and our anticipation grew to its boiling point, which meant holding back was like trying to stop a train. The pleasure, bonding, and sensations we felt after 16 years of foreplay created a night of unimaginable joy. We were both overwhelmed by how our love grew immeasurably in that ultimate bonding. When the first coupling ended in perfect harmony, we were both reduced to tears by the beauty of the experience and our love for each other.

I guess you'd say we liked it. We liked it a lot. We liked it six more times that night.

The next morning, with bodies and specific parts rather sore, we awoke to plan our honeymoon. That's right—the honeymoon was not planned until the day after the wedding because we had to see how much money we received in wedding gifts to know where we could go. We decided on the Outer Banks since it was cheaper during the offseason, and we were only interested in seeing one thing—each other: naked.

Now that we had graduated high school and were married, we had our future mapped out. I went to work for my family business, Freed & Sons Builders. Our family business bought large properties and built entire communities with middle to upper-middle-class homes. I started taking night courses for architecture while working during the day.

Beth was attending the local community college to study marketing. It was only a few miles away, so she could commute.

Two-and-a-half years later I was doing well in the family business, and Beth received her Associate's degree in Marketing Communication. She went to work as a marketing assistant for a local company that made instrumentation for the water and wastewater treatment markets—Coulton Industries.

We were still young and, although we desperately wanted children, we planned to wait until we were in our mid to late twenties. Life was good. Making love was fantastic and frequent. Plans were made for the future. Beth and I were unbelievably happy.

As our marriage grew, I questioned every day whether I was worthy of her love, but I never questioned that she eagerly gave it to me. And I gave her every ounce of love and devotion I could find.

Chapter 4: Let's Talk About Children

"Beth, I'm home," I announced in my usual manner at 5:10 PM on a Friday.

"Hey, Sweetie! Are you still not telling me where we're going tonight?"

"Nope. It's a surprise. Come here and give me an anniversary kiss." Our passion was not only strong but kept growing. I married the most amazing woman in the world.

"I just can't believe we've already been married 9 years," she mumbled as our lips played together.

"First things first. I need a shower and we both need to change into something nice."

"Shower? How about together?"

"As long as we don't get too distracted. We need to leave in about an hour and a half."

"Plenty of time to play," she giggled as she grabbed my hand and pulled me to the bedroom.

We played in the shower almost daily. After our tiny first apartment, we specifically picked our second apartment because of the 2-headed shower. The new house we had under construction was designed with an extremely large shower in the master bath. Beth and I share a real passion for clean lovemaking.

The 45-minute shower was still too short to do all we wanted to do with each other, but time became an issue. We had a full weekend of naked fun planned, so we hurriedly dressed and departed.

As I pulled into the lot of our favorite Sushi restaurant, Beth gave a squeal and kissed my face all over. We were seated, had our BYOB bottle of wine opened, and ordered our favorite sushi rolls. The wait staff all knew us well, and we always ordered the same: Manhattan Monkey, Boston Lobster, and Fatty Tuna Roll. I can't say the same for the tuna and lobster, but no monkeys were harmed in the making of this dinner. Manhattan Monkey had salmon, crab, and lots of good stuff added before it was rolled in crushed pistachios.

"You two need to try some new food," Chi, our waitress, scolded.

"Next time, Chi, we'll come in and just tell you to feed us. Okay?" I felt guilty of being in a rut. "But it's our anniversary tonight, so we want to stay with known favorites."

"You anniversary? We give you special dessert tonight—on the house."

Beth smiled and looked at me adoringly. "Chi is so sweet, but I married the sweetest man on earth." She leaned over and kissed me across the table, taking advantage of the fact that there wasn't any food yet in the way.

"Nate, before we get into anniversary mode—I have some great news!"

My first thought was she would tell me she's pregnant. We hadn't discussed being ready for children, but we both planned to talk about it that night.

"Okay," I hesitantly replied. "What?"

"I was promoted to Manager of Marketing Communications today. It's a huge raise!"

"Baby! I'm so proud of you. Did you know this was coming?" I was proud, but I had instant concerns about how this would impact having children.

"No. It was a total shock. I thanked my boss and told him that I was flattered, but I had some concerns."

"What concerns, Baby?"

"I told him I had to be honest, and that you and I were talking about children and I didn't want anything to interfere with that."

I breathed a huge internal sigh of relief. My mind was rushing to conclusions of a childless life and a career wife—neither of which lined up with all we've planned and discussed.

"What did he say?"

"He was good with that. He said that, once we had a baby—or babies," she smiled brightly, "I could work from the house. Most of what I do doesn't need me to be in the office."