Fortune and Fortitude Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He looked up to her. "You're right." He shook his head. "Sorry for being such a dope about things."

"You're not a dope," Quinn said softly. She reached up to touch his face. "Don't ever let go of that moral compass, Jared. It's one of the things I love about you."

Jared blinked, and Quinn pulled her hands to her mouth. "Sorry, I shouldn't say things like that unless..."

"Unless you mean them?" Jared pulled her hands away. "I'm starting to think you do. Then again," he sighed, "Maybe it's just wishful thinking."

Quin shook her head slowly. "You know what? I need to stop being a dope too." She squared her shoulders. "I love you, Jared. Even if it's in the only way I know how."

Jared smiled. "I guess that's enough for me." He leaned forward and kissed her.

She sank into him and kissed him tenderly, her hands running into his hair. She pulled away hurriedly. "Okay, stop. I'm getting wet."

Jared chuckled and pulled her against him. She rested her head underneath his. "I love you too, Quinn."

She shifted to wrap her arms around him. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Do you love me enough to sleep with someone else?" she asked lightly.

Jared sighed, her head moving with his chest. "I'll think about that."

"We don't have time for you to think about it." She pulled back to look him in the eyes. "Please. I know you hate it."

He shifted uncomfortably. "It's just- Every other wrong thing I've done can be justified. Sort of. I've killed, but in self-defense. Most of the other stuff was when I was a kid and didn't know better -- before I got baptized. This? Pretty sure there's no loophole for adultery."

Quinn fell quiet, sinking into her thoughts. After a long moment, she spoke. "Maybe there is a loophole..."

Jared scoffed. "You're smart, but not THAT smart. It's forbidden outright."

She tilted her head. "Oh yeah? So was fornication. We got around that pretty easily."

"No, we just got married. That doesn't exactly work for adult-" He stopped.

Quinn grinned. "Doesn't it?" she asked innocently.

"Quinn, it was pretty obviously wrong."

"Why?" She poked him. "I'm no biblical scholar, but I'm pretty sure a lot of prophets did it. I bet the Mormons have some arguments on the topic."

"First of all, they don't like to be called that anymore. Second..." His mind raced. "I need to check."

"No, no, no," Quinn held up a finger. "We both know that you are fully aware of every rule listed in the Bible. Where does it say you can't have more than one wife?"

Jared rubbed his eyes. "Father Martin will never agree to that, even if we could find anyone interested."

Quinn tilted her head. "I bet we can find some priest who will take a bribe. Or better yet, they don't even have to know you already have a wife."

"What you're proposing is illegal."

"Me getting married without my parents' signatures was illegal. We're way past that."

Jared thought for a moment, searching for any more opposition. "I'm not going to bribe someone to be another wife."

Quinn sighed. "I hope not. But really? If it came down to it?"

Jared shook his head. "I just hope that never happens."

"So... You'll do it?"

He scowled. "A few conditions."

"Didn't you say you were going to man up and stop being a dope?"

"Number one," he ignored her. "You have to be okay with it -- like, genuinely okay. Nothing fake, alright?"

Quinn hesitated before nodding. "Sure."

"Second, they have to be perfectly willing to do this -- no tricks, no bribes, nothing."

"I agree."

"Lastly..." He took a deep breath. "I have to get to know them before any funny business happens. If we can help it, I'm still going to try to be a gentleman about this." His shoulders fell. "At least, as much of a gentleman as I can be."

Quinn nuzzled into the crook of his neck. "I would expect nothing less. I think we can make that work."

Jared took her into his arms. "We're going to be okay, right?"

Quinn sighed. "Yeah. And if we aren't, at least we have right now."

He shifted. "That's not enough for me."

"Oh?"

He squeezed her tighter against him. "Not even the rest of our lives will be enough. I want you forever, Quinn."

She closed her eyes. "I'd like that, too."

They were silent for several seconds, simply enjoying the feel of the other's presence.

Jared opened his eyes. "Was that a gunshot?"

Quinn tilted her head. "What?"

"Listen."

Sure enough, a few seconds later, as second gunshot could be heard. Memories of the school shooting that started this whole process rushed through his head. He quickly climbed to his feet and made for the door, but Quinn grabbed his arm.

"Where are you going?"

He looked to the door. "Something's wrong. I need to-"

Senguine appeared at the door. "No, you don't."

"Miss Senguine!" Quinn folded her arms. "What's going on?"

She shook her head. "I don't know, but I can harbor a guess." She glanced to the windows and snapped. "So long as you remain here you'll be safe."

"But I-"

"You are the target. You can't go anywhere."

He was about to argue, but Ria came panting up the stairs. "They have a sniper!" She slid through the door just as it closed.

Quinn winced. "A sniper? Like from the movies?"

Jared reached forward and grabbed her arms. "Where's everyone else? Annika and Kiara -- where are they?"

Ria hesitated. "Annika hasn't left the basement, I think." She glanced away. "Last I saw Kiara..."

"She was outside," Quinn whispered.

Jared moved for the door again, but Senguine got in his way. "You cannot leave, I told you. You and Quinn are the targets of this attack."

"I've survived worse."

"No, you've survived those who do not know who you are." She narrowed her eyes. "Every risk you take could be your last. Why would you chance your death without reason?"

"It's not without reason. I can't believe I'm hearing this," he grumbled. "Get out of the way."

She didn't budge. After a moment, she sighed. "I cannot stop you if you are determined. Nevertheless, let it be known that I was against this." She flicked her wrist, and the door opened.

He turned to Quinn. "I'll be back. I promise."

She bit her lip. "Then I'm okay. Be careful." She managed a small smile. "Well, more careful."

With that, he raced out and down the stairs. He hadn't heard any shots since the second one earlier.

After taking a deep breath, he opened the door. It took only a second to locate where Kiara was. She was collapsed on the ground, her body sprawled out awkwardly near the barn. A spotlight was being shined on her, making it easy to see the blood seeping into the ground.

Where was the sniper? Was it in the same direction as the spotlight, or was that just a distraction? He cursed and pulled back into the house. Hopefully they didn't have a view of the doorway. He needed a plan, but he didn't have time.

She might be dead already. He shook away the thought. I have to try.

He closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths, like Ria taught him. His mind refused to clear, but he was hoping it would help with a quick run.

He needed to get her inside the house, preferably up to the study. He didn't know much about how snipers worked, but he was hoping that quick movement would throw them off a bit. Maybe the darkness offered by the setting sun would help him out.

He dashed out the door, sprinting to Kiara's body. His senses were on high alert as adrenaline coursed through his body.

He slid next to her and heaved her over his shoulders, muttering an apology as he doubled back and ran for the house. Maybe it was just a hit and run.

But his luck didn't last. The loud crack of a rifle gave a split second warning.

It was like a sledgehammer to the knee. He stumbled but kept moving, limping quickly. Just a few more yards.

A second shot rang out, this one taking him in the small of his back. He sank to his knees, nearly dropping the young woman. With a roar, he raised himself to his feet and leapt through the door.

The moment he was inside, his endurance faded. He gritted his teeth, straining to stay conscious as he lifted her back into his arms.

He panted heavily as he strained up the stairs. He didn't even have the energy to call for help. His wounds burned like lava -- he could hardly feel the blood dripping from himself. It blurred with her blood, emerging from a wound in her neck.

"Jared?" Quinn raced out of the room to come help. "Jared!"

Miss Senguine and Ria quickly followed. Miss Senguine eyed him worriedly.

"Told... you." He smiled as he handed off Kiara to them.

Right before passing out.

************

Jared awoke to soft lips against his, a familiar heat flowing down his body. Faintly, he returned the kiss. I'm okay, he wanted so say. Don't worry, Quinn.

He woke up steadily, relishing in the feel of his head on her lap. Something seemed a bit strange, but he didn't want to think about it, enjoying the moment. In moments like these, being alive never seemed like such a good idea.

He pulled back for a moment. "Is this my reward for staying alive?" he murmured.

"You could say that." Quinn sounded amused.

Yeah something was odd. Her voice sounded so distant above him. He opened his eyes to find Ria leaning over him as he laid on Quinn's lap.

He sat up. "Ria, what the he-"

"She was healing you," Quinn stated matter-of-factly. "This way, we don't have to risk going to the hospital."

Jared winced shook his head. "What's wrong with a hospital?"

Quinn frowned and pulled his head back into her lap. "I hope you're joking."

"The assassin could still be out there," Miss Senguine added. "Until I can make sure they have been removed, we must remain here." They were still in the study, Annika having joined them to recline on a nearby couch.

Jared scowled. "I thought we would be safe here."

Senguine rolled her eyes. "I assure you, you would have been perfectly safe had you not needlessly risked your life saving an acquaintance."

Jared's eyes widened. "Kiara. Is she-"

"I'm fine." He whipped his head to see her sitting behind him, her neck properly bandaged.

He gave a sigh of relief and laid back into Quinn's lap. "Everyone's okay, then."

Quinn stroked his hair and leaned down to kiss his forehead. "Thanks to you."

"Everyone's okay, for now." Annika flipped her hair over her shoulder. "The longer you delay your little decision, the more we're all gonna pay for it. Nobody here can make any progress until we know whether or not we've got you on our side." She scowled. "You need to choose. Now."

Jared sighed. "I know, I know." He looked up to Quinn for guidance. "What do you think?"

She didn't answer at first, running her fingers through his hair as she thought. Finally she spoke. "I don't think your goals are mutually exclusive. I think we can make this work -- together."

Annika scoffed and sat up. "I guess you're welcome to try. But listen here, princess. We've been living together for the last ten years, and it's become pretty clear that we can't get along."

Quinn shook her head. "Each of you is selfish in your own way. That's your problem." She cupped her husband's face. "He's the only one here who would give his life for anyone in this room. Does anyone disagree?"

No one said anything. Miss Senguine stood off to the side with an eyebrow raised.

Quinn nodded. "Exactly. I can appreciate all of your goals -- even you, Annika -- as respectable and good. I had my doubts when Jared first told me about all of you, but I feel confident that we can figure something out together."

Ria sighed. "I don't know. Annika has a point. If we try to cooperate, it's possible that our goals might get trampled in the process." Her face fell. "I'd give anything to achieve my goal."

It took everything Jared had not to glance at Miss Senguine. Quinn nodded. "Exactly. You can't trust that any of the others won't throw you under the bus to get their own goals -- for that matter, you'd throw them under the bus to get yours."

She tapped her head. "The key here is knowing that he would jump under a bus to help any of you." She pointed to Annika and Kiara. "Both of your goals involve him becoming powerful, yes?"

They looked at each other in surprise. "I guess so." "Yes."

Quinn smiled. "Then what if you both united under that goal? You help him become the most powerful demon that he can, and he tries to fulfill your goals."

Kiara shifted uncomfortably. "I feel as though he would help her over me."

Annika scoffed. "Then you're a bigger idiot than I thought. He'll take your side any day."

Jared shook his head. "Look, Quinn comes first. My first priority is to keep her alive. After that..."

Quinn squeezed his hand. "I think covering Annika's goals would be more important, but that's not the discussion." She took a breath. "Look, is it better to have him help you, but not uniquely, or to have a 1/3 chance of him helping at all?"

Silence ruled the room again. It was broken by Miss Senguine laughing.

Quinn lifted her chin. "What's so funny?"

Miss Senguine smirked. "You take after your mother."

Quinn's eyes widened. She closed her eyes. "We'll talk about that later." She glanced between Annika and Kiara. "What do you think? Can you trust him?"

Kiara shrugged painfully. "I know I can. I must."

Annika locked eyes with Jared. She looked... worried. Fearful, even. Jared offered her a single nod. A promise.

Annika finally nodded. "Okay. I'm in." She leaned back. "This is still a terrible idea, though."

That left only Ria. When everyone looked at her, she held up her hands. "As long as I get what I want, I'm happy. But..." She became serious. "I have to have that. I will drop this alliance to achieve my goals."

"Not gonna cut it." Annika placed her hands on her hips. "I'm all in on this one -- no take backs, no plan B's. I'm not gonna stand for you backing out because you don't feel like it, kapeesh?"

Ria bit her lip. "I'm not saying I'm going to back out. I'm saying that I better not get overlooked here." She gestured around the room. "To you guys, it might be a small deal, but it's a big deal to me."

Quinn nodded. "I promise we'll try." She looked to Jared. He took that as permission to talk now, without interrupting her plans.

He let out a long breath. "I'm still learning, and I'm not very smart, as I'm sure all of you have guessed." He hesitated. "But I trust Quinn. If she thinks we can all make this work, she's probably right. I'm a Ferronaught, for those of you who didn't know." He glanced up to Senguine. "According to Miss Senguine, I have a shot at getting accepted onto the Summit, however that works. That's technically my goal."

Quinn interrupted. "Our goal. That's a reflection of power. Even if Ria isn't directly affected by that achievement, I'm sure the rest of us will be."

Jared sighed. "I'm not sure it's likely that any of the rest of you will share your goal?"

They all shook their heads and he frowned. "Alright. I guess that'll be up to me to make them happen."

Finally, Senguine spoke up. "Well then, since you have officially taken control of my proteges in less than a week, what is my role in all of this?" She didn't seem too irritated, fortunately, rather drily amused.

Quinn bit the inside of her cheek. "We don't know much about your goals, so we can't trust you much. Sorry."

She waved the concern away. "That's fine. I suppose I will go about my business, then."

"You're still our teacher," Kiara added. "We all need to improve our skills."

Miss Senguine shrugged noncommittally. "You're preparing for the coming apocalypse. I become less relevant by the day. It's good for you all to chase your goals."

Annika folded her arms. "So what do you think of this whole situation? Do you think this is a good idea?"

Senguine scoffed. "For who? I know little of any of what you hope to achieve, especially you, darling. For Mr. Bertreck here, I think it's a terrible idea. Without any real control over any of you, he's asking to be stabbed in the back."

Quinn frowned. "Then what would you recommend?"

Senguine rolled her eyes. "Dealing with demons is far too complicated. There's a reason loners manage to live so long. A single alliance is usually manageable, but three? I'd stick to humans if I were you. Gain some vassals. For all of their abilities," she added wryly, "Their assistance can hardly compare to the increased power of a vassal."

Quinn folded her arms. "Can't they be vassals?"

Everyone looked at her in shock. Annika coughed. "Excuse me?"

Senguine scowled. "Don't you understand what that is asking? You would be demanding that they abstain from sexual relations with any creature other than him. Depending on their feeding habits, that could prove extremely problematic."

"I'll do it," Ria offered shyly. "I can be a vassal."

"You will do no such thing," Senguine growled. "I will not see you suffer such a fate."

Ria raised her eyebrow. "Oh? Now you're going to tell me what I can or cannot do?"

Senguine rolled her eyes and looked away. "There are things that you don't understand. Not yet."

Quinn narrowed her eyes but didn't comment. "It was just a thought. We don't have to make anything official."

Jared silently thanked her. Fortunately, he had had the prescience not to react when Ria spoke up -- he might've offended her or worse, Quinn. Truthfully, he was still uneasy about the whole concept.

The room was quiet again. Annika broke the silence. "No, we do need to figure this stuff out. None of us can have sex with him unless we can make that commitment, or we risk damaging his power supply." She hesitated. "What's your current plan to get vassals? How many do you have?"

Jared looked down. "One."

Kiara winced. "That's not good. We only have a few months."

"It's fine. Between all of us, I'm sure we can manage to wrangle up some humans for him to-"

"We're not doing that." Quinn bit her lip. "We've made a deal. She has to be willing, and he has to get to know her first."

The proteges collectively groaned. "Are you kidding me?" Ria exclaimed. "He's never going to get powerful at that rate!"

"I never should have agreed to that deal," Annika muttered.

Jared was irritated. "Alright, look. Senguine, what is the minimum number of vassals I'd need to get accepted into the Summit?"

Senguine thought for a moment. "At least ten. Fewer, perhaps, if you have demonic vassals."

Jared cringed inside. "How many if they were all demons?"

Senguine gritted her teeth. "No fewer than seven. But that number would be immensely difficult. Save yourself the trouble and take some humans."

"We'll keep that in mind," Quinn said dismissively. She grinned. "Counting me, if you all became vassals, we'd be well on our way."

"That's the minimum," Annika commented. "That's not very good."

"Quality over quantity is your only bet," Ria said quietly. "You'd have to be... thorough."

Jared took a deep breath. "I admit, I don't think I'm ready for this, but I guess I don't have much of a choice. I'm not going to force any of you into anything you don't want to do."

Kiara shifted. "You saved my life. Becoming a vassal is a small price for that."

"You don't owe me anything."

"Regardless," she held up a hand. "It offers our best chance of survival."

"Not as high as if he would man up and take some vassals by force," Annika reminded her.

Quinn folded her arms. "You seem opposed to this idea. Why?"

Annika pursed her lips. "Let's just say that having some options in terms of sex is probably a good idea for my goal."

Ria bumped her with an elbow. "What happened to being all in? No plan B?"

Annika scowled and closed her mouth. "This had better work." She threw her hands in the air. "Fine, I'll be a vassal."