Fortune and Fortitude Pt. 03

Story Info
Jared returns with Quinn to Fairway to meet the ladies...
7.9k words
4.76
9.9k
20

Part 3 of the 7 part series

Updated 11/17/2023
Created 12/19/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lerena
Lerena
692 Followers

Give your honest feedback, please!

Chapter 3

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEE-

Jared groaned. When did he set an alarm? He was usually pretty good at getting up in time for school. Maybe he had a late night...?

He rolled over to feel for his phone when he brushed against something warm and soft. Confused, he opened his eyes to see Quinn, his best friend and longtime crush, naked in his bed.

He shot up in alarm as the memories of their morning came together. He gingerly reached over her sleeping form to grab her phone, which hadn't ceased from its clarion call.

"Fairway." The alarm was set for 4:30 PM.

Right. This wasn't exactly a love marriage. Jared nudged Quinn with his elbow. "Quinn. Quinn, it's time to go." He turned off the alarm.

She turned her head, her messy hair wrapping her face. "Hm?"

Jared smiled and leaned down to kiss her cheek. "We have to go to Fairway, now. Remember?"

She yawned and stretched her arms, offering a delicious view of her breasts. "Oh, yeah." She blinked slowly, trying to clear the drowsiness from her eyes.

Jared scrounged around for their clothes as she continued to wake up. After getting dressed, he offered her clothing to her.

"What time is it?" She asked, shaking herself awake.

"About 4:45."

Her eyes widened and she snatched the clothes from his hand. "Shoot." She pulled her shirt on, followed immediately by her pants.

"Uh, Quinn? Aren't you forgetting something?" He gestured to her bra laying on the bed."

She dismissed it. "It's fine. We need to get moving."

She gasped as she tried to stand up. Jared had to move to catch her from falling back. "You okay?"

She winced and straightened. "Just a bit sore. Help me get to the medicine cabinet."

With one arm under her shoulder, Jared helped her limp over to where his mom had kept all of the medicine. After sorting through them quickly, she found a painkiller and swallowed the tablets whole. "Okay, let's go."

Jared didn't hesitate to pick her up. She didn't protest, merely wrapping her arms around his neck as he carried her to the passenger seat.

After getting her settled in, Jared started up the car before cursing under his breath. "I'm not sure we've got enough gas to get there."

Quinn sighed. "There's not a lot we can do about that. We'll have to stop for gas." She ran her fingers through her hair, trying to work down the tangles. "Need me to navigate?"

"No, I think I'm good. Maverik, right? Down 3rd south?"

She nodded.

They fell silent as he drove. He wanted to ask about what happened earlier, but he didn't really know how. Still, one question gnawed at him.

"So... Did you find out the answer?"

She stiffened. "To what?"

"Whether or not you can love me?"

She whipped her hair around her shoulder and started braiding it. "I don't know." Upon seeing his face fall, she hastened to add, "It's really confusing. I- I care for you, I know that. You are..." She took a deep breath. "You are probably the most important thing in the world to me right now. Is that love?"

He frowned. "You'd know better than me. I guess that sounds good."

She shook her head. "You're going to think I'm crazy." She bit her lip. "I really want round 2."

He glanced over to her. "Seriously? Aren't you in a lot of pain?"

"Not now, obviously. Just... soon. When I get better."

Jared sighed and Quinn pursed her lips. "You know, a lot of guys would think having a horny wife is an advantage."

"Most of those guys are either pigs or have a loving wife. No offense, Quinn, but I'm not sure I can do that again knowing you don't love me."

"I never said I didn't love you, I just said I don't KNOW if I love you. There's a big difference." She paused. "Can love and lust mix?"

"I don't think so."

She sighed. "No, probably not. I don't know what I feel." She reached over to take his hand. "But I can genuinely promise that I will try. Is that enough?"

He winced. "I'm not sure forcing yourself to try to love someone really counts." He gripped the steering wheel. "But I guess it's good enough for now."

Quinn looked like she wanted to say more, but she just turned to look out the window.

He pulled into the gas station, grateful that the tank had made it this far. Quinn winced as she hopped out, muttering something about the bathroom.

He had just refilled when she came back bearing a load of snack: bags of chips, pretzels, Gatorade. Like they were getting ready for a huge road trip.

"Feeling hungry?" Jared asked with a smirk.

"Not really, but I thought you might be."

Unsurprisingly, she was right. He was starving.

They hopped back in the car and drove off as Quinn opened a few bags. "What do you want?"

"I'm kinda feeling pretzels right now, honestly."

She passed him a handful to pop into his mouth while she cracked open a Gatorade to sip at.

A few minutes later, she spoke up again. "Do you think we can stop the apocalypse? If Annika insists that you're so powerful, couldn't it be possible?"

Jared tilted his head. "I hope so." He grinned. "You know, I think it'll helpful for you to meet Miss Senguine. I don't even know the right questions to ask."

Quinn nodded. "More pretzels?"

"Sure."

He held out his hand, but to his surprise, she lifted one to his lips. He glanced over to see her smile. She seemed... flirtatious? He accepted the pretzel.

"I never took you for the flirting type."

Quinn snorted. "Are you kidding? You never would have been my friend if I was. Now that we're married, I'm thinking I don't have to hold back so much."

Jared chuckled. "It's like I hardly know you."

She pouted. "Don't say that. You know me better than anyone."

He raised an eyebrow. "Even Nasha?"

Nasha was her other friend that she hung out with. They were in the foster care system together when they were kids, and they hit it off right away. They had split somewhat at high school, due to differing interests. Quinn was more of an academic, while Nasha pursued dreams of athleticism.

Quinn hesitated. "Maybe. Definitely different parts of me, but it's hard to say who knew more."

"Knew?"

She smiled sweetly. "You are now privy to my entire sex life, Mr. Bertreck. Consider yourself my official best friend." She trailed off, her smile fading. "Do you think Nasha will be okay?"

Jared focused back on the road. From what Miss Senguine said about the demonic appetites, he doubted it. "I hope so."

Within a few minutes, they pulled up to Fairway. The sky was turning dark, only amplified by the gray clouds hanging over. Thunder sounded in the distance.

Jared finished off the pretzels as they hopped out of the car. "So this is the famous Fairway..." Quinn placed her hands on her hips, surveying the estate. "You didn't mention it was so beautiful."

"Must've slipped my mind. Come on." Jared took her hand and led her through the gate. Not for the first time, Jared noted the absence of any servants of any kind. It made him wonder how the gardens and such were upkept so well. Probably magic.

They passed by where Jared had worked last night. Kiara was still hard at work clearing the patch of ground of rocks. He leaned down to whisper her name in Quinn's ear.

They walked up to the front door and Jared lifted a fist to knock. They waited patiently for the door to open. Ria was the one to answer with a smile. She was wearing a bright white hoodie wrapped around her chest that covered a faded pink bikini top and jean short shorts.

Her smile faded into a scowl when she saw Quinn. "Hi, Jared. Who's this?"

Quinn offered a small wave. "This is my wife, Quinn Bertreck."

"Pleased to meet you. You must be Ria. I've heard a lot about you," Quinn added politely.

Ria's frown didn't fade. "Uh-huh. Come on in." She turned and guided them into the living room. "Jessica, Jared's here! And he brought a girl!"

"Excellent." Miss Senguine appeared at the top of the stairs and began descending. "I trust that you have extracted a load of her essence?"

She froze the moment she made eye contact with Quinn.

Jared looked between them to see that Quinn's mouth had dropped open. "Mrs. Scott?" Quinn whispered.

Miss Senguine recovered quickly. "I'm going by my maiden name now, child." She turned to glare at Jared. "What is the meaning of bringing her here?"

Jared was in shock. "You guys know each other?" he spluttered. "How...?"

"She was my handler in foster care." Quinn narrowed her eyes.

Ria appeared confused. Miss Senguine flicked her wrist at her. "Ria, dear, please excuse us. We have a lot to talk about. Come," she added, gesturing for them to come upstairs.

More confused than ever, Jared led Quinn up the stairs behind the red-headed woman. Upon entering the study, she snapped. Immediately, the door and all of the windows slammed shut, giant metal sheets closing them off. A dull chandelier flickered on in the center of the room.

Senguine reclined into her chair and indicated for them to sit. Quinn took the couch and Jared sat down next to her.

Quinn frowned. "Explain yourself, Mrs. Scott. Miss Senguine. Jessica. Whoever you are."

Miss Senguine didn't seem fazed in the slightest, having recovered her cool. "All are technically correct. Miss Jessica Senguine, formerly Mrs. Jessica Scott. Like it or not, I never lied to you."

Quinn gritted her teeth. "I don't care. You're a demon, right? What were you doing in an adoption agency?"

Miss Senguine smirked. "You are not dim-witted, my dear. I think you already know."

Jared interjected. "Know what? Who?"

Quinn fell silent and placed her hands into her lap. "I want to hear it from you."

Miss Senguine raised an eyebrow. "Very well. You, like Mr. Bertreck, are a demon. Satisfied?"

Jared coughed. "What? What do you mean?"

Quin sighed. "She's a demon with a lot of wealth. Why would she participate in an adoption agency?" She looked up to glare at Miss Senguine. "Come to think of it, what were your reasons for doing it? Something demonic, obviously. But there are easier ways to get kids to eat. What were you doing?"

She flicked a piece of invisible lint from her flowing red cocktail dress. "That sounds like some information you are very interested in having. Provided Mr. Bertreck here has filled you, which I assume, you should know that I don't give things away for free."

"What can we trade you?" Jared asked. "Money?" He wasn't sure what else he had to offer. "A favor or something? What do you even want?"

Miss Senguine stared at him. "Truly impossible to resist such offers," she said dismissively. "But I would've thought I've made it very clear what I want." She stood and began pacing. "I want my proteges to fulfill their highest potential."

"You want us to make a deal with one of them," Quinn stated bitterly. "Is that it?"

"Hardly." Miss Senguine stopped pacing to look at them. "As a Ferronaught, Mr. Bertreck thrives from feminine essence. It required immense pressure to force him to gain a vassal in the first place."

Jared scowled. "You want us to have sex again?"

Miss Senguine chuckled. "No. Tempting as that may be, I feel like that won't be a problem for you."

"So what then?" Jared's head was starting to hurt.

Miss Senguine ignored him. "Go on, Quinn. Tell him what I want."

Quinn sighed. "She wants you to have another girl," she murmured.

"A WHAT?!"

"A single vassal provides you with unlimited energy, it's true. But she only produces so much. To become powerful to any real degree, you will need an entire harem. A full squad of numerous women, each infatuated with you."

Jared felt like throwing up. "No. I won't do it. I'd rather die."

Miss Senguine rolled her eyes. "Squeamish, are we? Then die, if you are so inclined. May your precious lover die with you."

Jared clenched his eyes shut and buried his face in his hands. "No, no..."

Quinn put a hand on his shoulder. "Jared..."

"I'm not going to betray you!" Jared shouted, leaping to his feet. The flame in his chest roared to life. "I'll kill anyone who suggests otherwise!" His voice echoed in the chamber, a low growl underlying his tone.

Miss Senguine backed up, her face frozen in fear. It was the first time he'd ever seen her so shaken.

Quinn grabbed his arm and tugged slightly. "Jared, please. I'm not asking you to. Just... hear me out."

He sank back into the couch, letting the flame sizzle. "S-Sorry..." he muttered, though to who he wasn't sure. Quinn, maybe. Miss Senguine? God?

Quinn leaned in to talk to him quietly. "Look, I don't really trust her, but I don't think she's lying. She believes what she says."

"We'll find some other way," Jared insisted. "I can't leave you."

She squeezed his hand. "I'm not asking you to. I'm saying..." She bit her lip. "Let's talk about this later, okay? When we've cooled down a bit. She can't make us do anything we're not comfortable with."

Jared nodded, then took a deep breath. "Miss Senguine, you brought us here for a reason. What was it you wanted to talk about?" He was just going to avoid the topic of adultery for now.

Miss Senguine folded her arms in her lap, having regained her composure. "My reasons were twofold. First, I wanted to confirm that you had indeed followed my instructions. Second, as the start of your- Rather, as a vassal, she is your vulnerability. Ferronaughts are nearly immortal, of course, but they can easily be weakened." She gestured to Quinn. "She can provide you with energy as well as expand the amount of energy you can expend. On the other hand, should she die, this bond would end. Furthermore, should her bond with you be stolen, it would prove crippling for a period of time, increased by the fact that you only have the one."

Jared clenched his jaw. "So..."

"She needs somewhere safe to stay." Miss Senguine waved her hand. "You are now on the radar, provided you weren't before. Many demons would jump at the opportunity to cripple or slay an unrealized dragon. Here," she gestured around, "She would be safe."

Quinn tilted her head. "How is here much safer than out there?"

Miss Senguine pursed her lips. "To begin with, we have gold linings and crystal wards. You think they can achieve such value by merely being pretty?" She laughed. "They are expensive because demons desire them. They are good at retaining or preventing magical abilities. Within my sanctum," she added, "We are nearly impervious from outside attacks. The only ones you must fear are those who have been granted permission to enter."

"The proteges," Quinn said slowly. "Is that really safer? Ria didn't seem to like me much."

Miss Senguine waved her hand dismissively. "She saw you for what you are, which made her grow wary. I assure you, dealing with my proteges will be far simpler and less risky than trained assassins."

Quinn thought on that for a moment. "Assuming we can trust you..."

Miss Senguine snorted. "If you couldn't, you would both be long dead."

"But we don't know what you want." Quinn tapped her cheek. "You could be trying to manipulate us."

Miss Senguine shrugged. "I suppose that's true. It will simply be a taxing process for us both if you choose not to believe me."

"Couldn't you just tell us what you want?"

Miss Senguine eyed her. "No, I don't think I will. You're smart enough -- you'll figure it out."

Quinn sighed. "Can you at least tell me what kind of demon I am?"

"Not for free." She leaned forward. "How's this: You agree and choose a new vassal, and I will answer your questions. If you do so for two, I will tell you what I know regarding your identity. Am I clear?"

Jared opened his mouth, but Quinn interrupted. "We'll think about it. Thank you."

Satisfied, Miss Senguine leaned back. "Anything else you'd like to know about?"

Quinn hesitated. "What are our odds of stopping the apocalypse? Ferronaughts are powerful, right?"

Miss Senguine snorted. "Very powerful. But you underestimate your objective. Let me make it very clear to you: the Apocalypse WILL come. Among the Summit are the most powerful demons currently alive, including Mr. Bertreck's father, a fully realized, experienced, and powerful ferronaught. He is decidedly in favor of the apocalypse. He has a harem of hundreds if not THOUSANDS of women, making him that much more proportionally powerful. And he is just one member of an equal council."

"Even if you could manage to take him down, or even the entire Summit, over the course of the next year, it wouldn't stop the apocalypse -- you would mitigate the damage. There is no master plan for nuclear war or World War 3. It is a revolution, a planned event across the planet. Demons are in many places of influence and fragile connections. All performing maximum chaos at the same time? It will shatter the very society that the humans use as a defensive mechanism."

Quinn paled as Miss Senguine explained. "Now you understand what we are dealing with."

Quinn grew quiet, and Senguine pressed her advantage. "You see? We are talking about personal survival, not changing the world. Leave that for the bigger players."

Jared cleared his throat. "What if I became a big player? Could I do anything then?"

Miss Senguine paused. "I suppose after the apocalypse, anything is possible. Optimistically, you could obtain your own empire, run it how you wish. If that means restoring this corrupt society, so be it." She scowled. "That is, of course, if you can tolerate having a harem."

That shut him up. Senguine eyed the two of them. "I suppose you have enough to think about. I will give you some time." She snapped again, opening the blinds to reveal the rooms beauty once more. "Talk about it. Until I have Mr. Bertreck's absolute submission, I am limited in how much I can help." She stood and walked out the door. "You may speak to my proteges if you want additional witnesses."

The door clicked behind her, leaving Quinn and Jared to think about what she had said. "You're not actually considering this, are you?" Jared asked hopefully.

When she didn't respond, Jared's shoulders fell. "I guess you really don't love me, huh?"

Quinn snapped to look at him. "I never said any such thing."

"It sure seems implied by the fact that you don't seem to care!"

Quinn scowled. "I DO care!" She softened. "It's just... Look." She sighed. "You remember Ashley? From school?"

"The cheerleader?" He scoffed. "Yeah. She was a rea b-... bad lady."

Quinn nodded. "Imagining you in bed with her makes me feel like throwing up."

"Me too," he muttered. Looks could only buy so much.

"But it's not that way all around." She brightened. "I just realized something."

"Hm?"

She grinned. "Maybe the reason I'm so confused... Do you think it's because I'm a demon? And it's throwing my feelings off?"

That caught him off guard. "I guess that makes sense. Why are you bringing this up now?"

Quinn shrugged. "I just realized it. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't mind you sleeping with CERTAIN other women."

Jared shook his head. "Nope. Not happening."

Quinn grabbed his arm and looked into his eyes. "Look, she's right and you know it. If you don't man up and do this for me, we could die." She looked away. "I could die. Isn't that worse?"

Suddenly, the question he had during their wedding vows came to his mind. Would you give up your own soul? Yes, he had answered.

He bowed his head. "Couldn't we find some other way...?"

Quinn sighed and pulled his head against her chest. "We both know that's not likely. Unless this really is just some elaborate prank, and we both know it isn't." She stroked his hair. "You know, we're kind of messed up."

"How so?"

"Shouldn't you be consoling me over the fact that you have to sleep with other women?"

Lerena
Lerena
692 Followers