Fourth Down and Inches

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I looked back at Jess, her smile was gone. She must have seen my expression when I had looked up at the game. It's like she knew what I was thinking. We got our drinks and returned to the table.

"The happy couple has returned bearing gifts." Exclaimed Sheree.

"Yeah, when are you two just going to kiss and get this over with? The sexual tension is getting way too much." Added Diane.

I didn't respond as I placed the drinks on the table.

"Hey, come on guys. Steve just got home." Jess responded.

"But the last time you two met after years apart you ended up in Steve's bed that night if I remember right." Diane responded.

"Yeah, I remember. Just, take it easy on us, okay?"

"Alright, but I don't know what the issue is, I see the way you two have been stealing glances at each other all evening. You're both still as in love with each other as you've always been if you ask me." Diane stated, making this even more awkward.

Jess didn't respond to that, we all just sat down in the awkward silence for a bit before Anthony started to talk about getting shots to cheer everyone up.

Over an hour later and a few shots down, I went to the bar to get some shots as well. I looked up at the game, it had ended with the Texans coming from behind to win. When I returned to the table, I noticed that Jess was busy texting with someone. I couldn't help but think that it was TJ.

The conversation at the table continued to flow, with the exception that Jess had not said anything. I looked at her and she looked deep in thought then shook her head to herself before looking over at me with a sad look in her eyes.

"Hey everyone, I've had a great night, but I'm going home now." Jess announced to the table.

"You still have your shot to drink. Come on Jess at least stay for one more." Sheree said.

"Sorry guys, I really have to go. I'm working in the morning."

"But it's a Sunday?"

"Yeah, it is Diane. I'm helping out with the team tomorrow. Look it's been great tonight. Steve, can you walk me out for a moment?"

I got up and escorted Jess outside the bar.

"I'm so happy you're back Steve, I mean that."

I just nodded back at Jess without saying anything. I could see the frustration in her face, Jess looked away for a moment before looking back at me.

"Will you call me during the week? Can we go to dinner or something? Just the two of us."

Now it was my turn to look confused. What's going on? What's Jess playing at here? I'm giving her the space she needs and now she's asking me out?

"Look, I don't know. Let me think about it Jess."

As if on cue her message tone went off on her phone, no doubt TJ asking if she was on her way to help him celebrate the victory. And I'm sure what kind of celebrating he had in mind.

Jess leaned in and gave me a kiss on the cheek, before getting in one the cabs parked out front of the bar. I figured there was no point in returning inside, so I got in the other cab and went home myself.

On Wednesday morning I got a call from the apartment's agent informing me that my application was successful, I could move in this Saturday. Then shortly after I got a text from Jess asking me if I was free this evening. I decided I needed to think about it and buried myself back in my work. As 5pm rolled around I remembered that I hadn't returned her text.

This whole situation is confusing. I know she's dating TJ but she's acting like she isn't. I'm not about to go stepping on someone else's toes, so if she wants us to get back together, she needs to end it with him first. But what do I text her back? She still thinks I don't know that her and TJ are a thing.

I texted back 'Sorry Jess, I have other plans tonight.'

It sounded cold, but I needed her to know that I wasn't interested. Not while she was with someone else anyway.

When I got to work on Thursday morning, in my usual catchup with some of the guys I noticed that Darius was more than a little zoned out. After we wrapped up, I called him over when the other guys had left.

"Hey big guy, you feeling alright? You look like shit."

"Yeah, sorry Steve. I was up a bit late last night with Jacqui. That woman never quits."

"What are you two seeing each other now?"

"Yeah, I guess we are. We hooked up at The Sphere again last night then ended up at her place. That was our 'third' date night, if you can call it that."

"As long as you enjoyed yourself and can do your work the next day."

"Yeah, I will. It was busy as fuck there last night as well for a Wednesday, even TJ and his little blonde were there again getting all hot with each other. They were practically having sex on the dance floor, lucky prick."

What the fuck? Jess asks me out for dinner, then when I decline, she hooks up with her boyfriend. Why is she stringing me along? None of this makes any sense.

Friday afternoon and I again went for beers with Darius and Jack. Again, I got a text from Jess but this time I ignored it. On Saturday I packed up my car with the few belongings that I had brought back with me from Chicago and headed off to my new apartment. I had a delivery coming for my new furniture I bought online during the week, so it was going to be a busy day.

It was around noon, and I was still trying to hook up my new TV when my phone rang. It was Jessica calling, I thought about letting it go to message but decided to pick up instead.

"Hi Jessica."

"Hi Steve. What are you doing today?"

"I'm just moving into my new apartment. I got shit everywhere and I still got some furniture I need to put together."

"I'm coming over to help then. Send me your address and I'll be there shortly."

"You don't have to do that Jess. I can manage."

"Just send me the address. Have you eaten lunch yet?"

"No, I hooked up the fridge, got nothing in it yet."

"Alright, I'll grab some food and drinks for you on the way over. I'll be there soon."

"Okay, bye."

I have to admit it would be good to have some help, and I was starving too.

About forty-five minutes later Jess pulled up in her car with a few bags of groceries. And two hot burrito's for lunch.

"How much do I owe you for the food?"

"Nothing, think of it as your housewarming gift."

"Thanks Jess."

After we ate lunch I continued to unpack the furniture and putting them together. Jess was removing all the boxes and packing, also helping me by holding the furniture in place while I bolted them together. It was a hot day, we were both sweaty in our t-shirts and jeans when Jessica decided to take her jeans off.

"Jess?"

She looked over at me and saw me shaking my head at the fact she was dressed now only in a loose t-shirt and panties. God it was hard to not stare at her body. Her gorgeous tan, those perfect legs and those wobbling breasts under her t-shirt.

"What? It's stinking hot. It's not like you haven't seen it all before, plenty of times."

"Yeah, but that was different."

Jess stopped what she was doing and looked at me.

"Steve, what's different? First you don't call me when you get home, then you don't say much when we meet, you don't want to go out with me or even text me back. You didn't even tell me about the apartment or want me to come over today to help. Don't you feel the same way about me anymore?"

"I feel exactly the same way I always have Jess. And probably always will."

"So, what is then Steve? Why do I get the impression you're staying away from me? That you're not interested in me?"

"Because I don't go after women that have boyfriends already."

Jess stared at me silently for a few seconds the sighed.

"You think TJ is my boyfriend, don't you?"

"Well, is he?"

"No, it's not like that."

"So, what is it like? I know you're not with him today because the Texans are the road this weekend. What about next week though? Will he be texting you to come over so he 'can't' be your boyfriend all night long again? Just like after the game last weekend? That was TJ you left the bar to go and meet up with wasn't it? I'm guessing you two did a lot of celebrating that night, probably until the early hours of the morning."

"Steve."

"What Jess, am I too close to the truth?"

Jess didn't answer, instead she just stared out the window.

"Look, I know you guys are together, I've seen you two together with my own eyes."

Jess immediately looked back at me with an expression of shock across her face.

"That first week I was back, a guy from work took me to The Sphere that Friday. I saw you with TJ kissing each other, hands all over each other. And you were there with him again on Wednesday after I knocked back your dinner invitation."

"So, can we please stop pretending you're not with him. It's okay, I left and you've moved on, I get it. But you acting like I don't want to get back with you is a bit rich when you already have a boyfriend. There's nothing I'd like more than to be with you."

"This isn't how this was supposed to go Steve. I was heartbroken when you left for Chicago, I would've gone with you if you asked me. I spent the next year praying you would come home, I almost quit my job a few times to drive up there and surprise you."

"Then I met TJ when we started working with the team, he's been a good distraction for me. I've never had feelings for him like I do for you. It's always just been casual for me and him, something that we both enjoyed, that's all."

"So, how was it supposed to go Jess? That I would come home and we would get straight back together like last time?"

"In my mind, yes. That's what I always wanted."

"So why then have you continued to see him after I got back? Even leaving me at the bar last Saturday night to go to his place to have sex with him? Or on Wednesday night after I knocked you back?"

"I know, I shouldn't have done that on Saturday. On Wednesday I was so angry with you for not getting back to me until so late, then to give me that crappy line about having other plans."

"So, you got revenge on your ex-boyfriend by having sex with your current boyfriend? Do you know how stupid that sounds?"

"He's not my boyfriend, God Dammit Steve! Stop saying that."

"But he's the guy you're going out with, being intimate with, taking home and having sex with. That sounds a lot like a boyfriend."

"Well, he's not. You're the only real boyfriend I've ever had or ever want. This is all so confusing at the moment."

"Why? Why is it so confusing for you? You say you don't have feelings for him like you do with me, but when he calls, you go to him. Why are you so in denial that you two are together? It seems clear from where I'm standing."

"Because we're not together. This weekend he'll be fucking some other girl wherever they are playing. And I'm not the only girl he's with here in Houston either."

"So, if he kept in it his pants you could then call him your boyfriend? Is that it? That he sleeps around?"

"No, it's because I don't love him. It's because I shouldn't be with him at all. I work with the team, to say it's unprofessional is an understatement. I could lose my job."

"So why flaunt it at the clubs? Everyone knows when an NFL player is there and can see that you're with him."

"I know how it looks, it's hard to explain, especially with you Steve."

"I'd say it's because you enjoy being with him, you like fucking him, that's why."

Jess rubbed her face with her hands, she looked very uncomfortable with this conversation, looking frustrated or angry.

"Alright, yes! I do love fucking him. Is that what you were waiting to hear? That I feel like such a slut waiting around for him to call me so he can give me a good fucking."

Jess stormed outside and sat on the stairs out front. When I joined her she was crying softly.

"Hey, come on Jess. I just wanted us to clear the air. To not pretend anymore about what was going on. We're not together, if you want to have sex with him, that's your choice. You don't have to feel bad about it. I was just getting tired of everyone, including you, saying we should be back together when you're clearly not ready."

"But I am ready. Do you know how many nights I've laid in bed wishing that you were there beside me? That when something happens in my life, my first instinct is to want to tell you about it. I've missed you so much Steve."

"And I've missed you too. Every night I was freezing my ass off in Chicago, I wanted to call you just so I could hear your voice."

"So why didn't you? Why'd you stop calling or returning my calls? Why didn't you come home for Thanksgiving or Christmas? I would have gone to you as well, but you never even gave me your address."

"Jess, I had no idea how long I was going to be there for. I didn't think it was fair to keep you waiting for me. It was a career choice I made, you shouldn't have to suffer for that. I didn't come home for the holidays because I knew I'd find it impossible to leave you again if I did."

We both then sat there together silently in our own thoughts for a few minutes.

"If I break it off with TJ, whatever this is that me and him have, will you still want me back?"

"Only if you're ready. You should do what you want to do though, Jess. Don't feel obligated because all of our family and friends expect us to be together. You have to be ready before I can promise you anything."

"Do you still love me Steve?"

"Of course I do."

"And I love you so much, I've dreamt about you coming home. And now when you finally do, I'm having trouble letting TJ go."

"It's alright, just let me know when you're ready, okay?"

"Okay." Jessica leaned over and rested her head on my shoulder.

Another Friday rolled around, this week had been getting better as it went on as I was finally getting into the swing of my new role. The guys I am working with are all good guys and have been helping me greatly, especially Darius.

It was also great having my own apartment, being able to get in the routine of the week and coming home to everything being so new. I didn't go out during the week, instead playing games on my X-box, or watching Netflix on my new TV. Jess and I had texted back and forward a few times, she refrained from asking me out now which was good.

After lunch I got a text from Jess asking if I wanted to meet up with everyone at the same bar again as a fortnight ago. They are planning on being there by 7pm. I thought why not? It's not like it's a date with Jessica if our other friends are there too. Shortly after sending my reply to Jess, Darius came in and asked me out for a few beers. So, I figured sure, a few beers with Darius then dinner and drinks with the gang. Could be a good Friday night.

While having a beer with Darius, I thought I would come clean about the hot little blonde he had been seeing with TJ at the club. I didn't want him to meet Jess later and to put his foot in it in front of everyone.

"Hey Darius, you know that hot little blonde that goes to The Sphere with TJ from the Texans?"

"Me? I don't know her, I sure would love to though. That is one fine-ass woman."

"No, I didn't mean if you knew her, I was meaning if you remembered her?"

"Well, yeah of course I remember her. She's the hottest piece of ass in the club every time she's there. Who wouldn't remember her?"

"Okay, can you stop for a second and let me finish."

"Okay, sure boss."

"Her name is Jessica Stephenson. She's been my girlfriend since we started high school."

"Oh fuck Steve, I'm sorry man, I didn't mean that shit I just said."

I laughed at how awkward Darius was at that revelation.

"Are you just yanking my chain now boss?"

"Nah, what I said is the truth. And for fuck sake stop calling me boss already."

"Sure thing boss." As Darius laughed at himself.

"So, is she your girlfriend now? Wait, you're not one of those kinky mutha fuckers that likes to watch his girl getting banged by some big black cock are ya? Just saying if you're asking me to help out, I'd be happy to take one for the team. Just saying."

Now it was my turn to laugh at Darius.

"No, I'm not asking you to 'help out'. We've not been together since I left for Chicago. I just wanted to let you know who she was in case you run into both of us together and you don't start bringing up TJ or something stupid."

"So, are you guys together now or not?"

"No, we're just friends. We hang out together sometimes with our other friends we grew up with."

"So, what I'm hearing is that I could still get some action then?"

"Fuck you, Darius." As we both laughed.

"So why wouldn't you want me to bring up TJ? She's his woman after all."

"It's complicated. She works for the Texans as a Physio, she's not meant to be fucking the players."

"Ah, okay. Got it. I'll keep my mouth shut then, no problem."

"Anyway, I'm going to catch up with her as soon as I finish this beer. We're having some dinner and drinks with some friends."

"You want me to tag along? Maybe I can take her mind off TJ, for a few hours at least."

"Darius, she wants to get back together with me, so can you drop all the innuendos thanks."

"And what about you? You want her back too? After she's been fucking the entire football team?"

"TJ's the only one she's been fucking that I know of."

"I don't know Steve, experience showed me that when one of them snow bunnies decides to fuck the players, it rarely ended with just one. I've seen girls take on the entire Secondary in a single night."

"Look, I'll be honest with you Darius, I'm probably going to end up marrying her, so can you drop all this shit, thanks."

"Sure Steve, I can do that."

We finished our beers, then said our goodbyes as I headed to the other bar to catch up with the gang.

"About time you showed up Steve." Exclaimed Diane as I walked up to their table.

"It's only 7:15. Fifteen minutes isn't late."

"We got here a bit early, good to see you two again though."

Diane was obviously referring to Jessica and myself, and they had left the seat beside Jessica for me as well. It was clear to me that Jess had not told Diane or Sheree that she was dating TJ. I'm probably going to have to put up with all the 'why aren't you two together already' bullshit all over again. I asked who needed drinks then went to the bar to order. As I stood waiting for the barmen, I realized Jess was standing beside me, she still hadn't even said hello yet.

"I take it Diane and Sheree don't know about you and TJ still being together? Are we going to have to put up with them playing matchmakers all night again?"

"No, they don't know. And Steve, me and TJ are not 'together'. Hopefully there won't be anything to tell soon anyway."

"And why's that?"

"Because I didn't see TJ at all this week, and I'm not planning on seeing him this weekend either."

"Are they on the road or at home this weekend?"

"At home. They play on Sunday."

"Did you speak to him, or are you just avoiding him?"

"Avoiding him, I guess. I haven't figured out what to say to him yet. I know we're not together like a proper relationship so it shouldn't be that hard, it's just that it's hard to talk to him about it."

"Okay."

"Okay what?"

I looked at Jess, it was like she was trying to start an argument with me.

"Just okay, nothing else."

Jess was still looking at me, but then I heard a sigh escape her lips.

"Sorry, it's just that I wish this was over already and I didn't have to talk to him."

"Why is it so difficult for you to talk to him?"

"Because, well, just because okay."

I think I was beginning to understand. She was worried he might talk her out of it or talk her into bed.

"You find him really sexy, don't you?"

Jessica looked at me with a puzzled look on her face.

"Well, yeah I do. Why would you say that though?"

"That's why you're avoiding him. You're worried if you talk with him you might end up in bed with him instead."