Fourth Vector Ch. 45

Story Info
The last full muster.
29.2k words
4.83
9.1k
14

Part 45 of the 50 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 02/02/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CJMcCormick
CJMcCormick
2,498 Followers

Chapter 45: The Last Full Muster

*****

"I think I'm going to hurl again!"

Jack let out a surprised chuckle as Lindy dashed out of Jack's personal quarters on theDestiny while covering his mouth. In the meantime, Jack shared an amused look with Greg as another wave smashed against the ship.

"I'm guessing that Lindy has spent too much time on land," said Jack out loud. "This is, what, the third time this hour?"

Greg nodded but then shrugged his shoulders. "He's hardly the first one to hurl in this storm. With the way the sea is tossing around our fleet, the only thing that surprises me is that there aren't more men hugging the railing on the main deck."

That was definitely true as the waters outside of Picardy had been particularly nasty the last two days. Violent swells and darkened clouds had trailed them in that time, a sign of the summer storms that plagued this area of the world.

Jack remembered one such storm very well. The first time he'd come to Picardy nearly three years ago had seen such a storm toss around his tiny task force. Another year had seen savage storms almost swamp one of their destroyers when Jack was liberating Apulia.

It was something that the residents in this part of the world learned to deal with but it still didn't make it any easier for those onboard that were more comfortable on land.

Lindy reappeared minutes later looking none the better than he had before. He was clutching his stomach while his face showed signs of exhaustion.

Jack gave him a sympathetic smile. "Feel any better?"

Lindy grunted. "How much longer until we get to Zarah?"

"Should only be a couple hours now," said Jack as he gave a sly wink to Greg. "But in storms like this, we could easily be delayed until tomorrow."

Lindy let out another groan and put his head in his hands, which caused Jack to laugh.

"I'm only teasing you, Lindy. We'll be there in less than two hours."

"Thank the gods," replied the general. "I don't mind being at sea most of the time but I never want to get caught in another storm like this again."

"Most sailors think the same way you do, Lindy," said Greg. "Although we get used to it to some degree or another, no one relishes feeling the waves batter the hull like they are now."

Greg's words couldn't have been ironic because theDestiny shifted once more, causing Jack's pen to tumble along his desk. Jack caught it in a hurry as the great ship moaned at the stress put along her hull.

"It's a hell of a storm that can make theDestiny rock with those kinds of waves," said Jack. "I'm glad we'll be in port soon. It'll give us a chance to take shelter."

"And for my stomach to finally stop doing somersaults," added Lindy.

"Hard to believe we've already been gone from Galicia for two weeks," said Greg. "It feels like it was only yesterday that we left."

Greg's words couldn't have rung more true. If Jack closed his eyes, he was positive he could still see the crowds in Kalmar that emerged to see the departure of the army and the fleet. During that two week time, they'd been sailing through the inner ocean between Apulia and Swabia. They made a brief stop at Monticello on the southernmost island of Apulia before continuing on to Naxos, where King Gaius was picked up alongside two hundred and fifty Nax soldiers that he'd contributed toward the fight with Java.

Though small in number, Jack was actually surprised that Gaius was able to put up any amount. Naxos had been completely devastated in the last war, and he'd almost suspected that Gaius wouldn't be able to contribute at all.

"Well, I had to do something, Jack," explained Gaius at the time. "And although I can contribute the bodies, I was hoping that you might be able to help with the weaponry. We're lacking arms and ammunition and I thought that you might be able to help supply us?"

Jack embraced the man. "That we can do. I'm grateful that you're here fighting with us, Gaius. And it's my hope that we can get the majority of your men back home safely."

While room was being made to lodge the Nax on his ships, Jack went about making sure that all of them were issued a Bornmount rifle. Luckily for them, they mostly received the V2 version, which was now coming out in heavy quantities from the Galician factories. The V2 was fully automatic compared to the V1, and it had a much more lethal rate of fire.

Of course the Nax would have to be trained on how to use it, but Jack figured that could be done while they were in Zarah.

After the short stop in Naxos, the great armada continued eastward to Picardy, and now after a full two weeks, they were nearly to Zarah. It was here that they were going to be meeting the other Western nations in order to combine their forces and set sail for Java.

Truthfully, Jack was nervous about what awaited him once he got to Picardy. Despite all of his allies signing onto another war, their enthusiasm had been muted at best, and there were several who'd tried to abstain from a new conflict after the conclusion of the last one.

With all these differing armies and big personalities quarantined to one city, Zarah was likely to be full of tension, and that was the last thing he needed if he hoped to keep this new army together.

Still, it did no good dwelling on it. Jack pushed the thought to the back of his mind and continued to talk with Greg and Lindy until he heard the call that Zarah had been sighted, which couldn't come soon enough according to Lindy.

Thankfully, Zarah had a large, natural harbor with which to anchor the entire Galician fleet. Jack noticed that once theDestiny was past the jetties that marked the entrance to the harbor, there were several other ships that were already there. Most notable of all of them were the Carinthian warships that included a small contingent of battleships and cruisers.

"At least Reina made it here safely," muttered Jack to himself as he looked upon the ships. "And those warships will be sorely needed in the weeks ahead."

Jack would need every vessel he could get his hands on. Even with Ambros promising him the bulk of the Swabian fleet, they would still be at a disadvantage when compared to the resources at Bancroft's disposal. What worried Jack the most was the new ships that were coming off the lines now in Java. He knew that several deadly new ship classes were being made when he was last in Java, and several of those must be nearing completion.

If he had any hope of surviving this next fight, he would have to strike quickly and with all the might he could muster.

As theDestiny anchored in the harbor, Jack directed his troop ships to make use of the docks, allowing the soldiers inside the chance to disembark for the safety of land. Thankfully, the storm seemed like it was tempering down in intensity, allowing such movements without too much trouble. Once the waves had quieted down, Jack took a launch boat with Greg and Russ to the shore, where he hoped to locate Aedan and Reina.

He found the two of them without too much trouble. The entry of the Galician fleet into Zarah had caused many ashore to take notice, and Jack found the two sovereigns waiting for him as his small boat nudged into the soft sand.

"Welcome back to Picardy, Jack," said Aedan as soon as Jack stepped out of the boat. "It's been awhile since you were last here."

Jack stepped forward and shook his hand. "I'd hoped to be back under better circumstances but it's still good to see you again, my old friend."

Aedan closed his eyes and nodded, no doubt holding his tongue. Of all the leaders of the West, he'd been the most vocal about the upcoming fight about his reasons to abstain from it. It was only an impassioned speech from Vera that caused him to change his mind, but even now Jack could still see that he undertook this mission with a degree of reluctance.

"We almost thought you'd be delayed getting into the city," said Aedan. "That storm out there is particularly nasty."

"Not much worse than what usually happens this time of year though, right?" asked Jack.

Aedan shrugged. "True, but I'm hearing word that a nasty storm has developed in the Slot between Apulia and Samara at this very moment. If it continues in intensity, it might head for Zarah next."

"Is the task force safe in Zarah?" asked Greg from beside Jack. "Should we move to safer waters? I can't imagine any storms more intense than what we just sailed through."

Aedan shook his head. "It's still far enough away that it could go any direction. Besides, there's no safer place a thousand miles from here. If the storm heads our way, Zarah is the best place to be. The harbor is very sheltered compared to the open ocean, and our buildings are made to outlast these storms."

"Well, that's heartening to hear at least," said Jack. "Especially with the entire muster of the West on its way here. Do you know if Santino and Hendrick were able to get out in front of the storm?"

Aedan nodded. "They are on their way. They should be here within a day or two."

"Excellent," replied Jack. "It's my hope that we can spend approximately two weeks here to fully outfit the army while we gather and load our supplies. Once the two weeks is up, we'll set sail."

"Any idea where we're going first?" asked a cautious Reina, who had been silent until this point in the conversation. "Are we going right across the ocean as soon as we leave here?"

Reina's question was a great one, and one that Jack had put a lot of thought into. There were some merits of going right across the ocean from Picardy to Java. Most of them tended to revolve around speed but the biggest question was that doing so was a longer route than going south and then across. The most established route was to go to Quiller's Cove and then over, giving them a point of resupply.

While the resupply was necessary due to the number of older ships in the combined fleet, there were another two reasons why Jack wanted to go to Quiller's Cove first. With him being cut out of the Javan hierarchy completely, he needed the ability to get intel on what was happening in the country and what forces would be arrayed against him. That could be provided by Commodore Lucas at Quiller's Cove, who was no fan of Bancroft's. Jack suspected he'd be able to talk Lucas into coming over to his side, and he'd be able to get valuable information for any invasion of Java.

The other reason was because the southern route was the most likely crossing that the Javans would take in case they were on their way west. While he disliked any chance of running into the Javans with his troops ships nearby, he really disliked any chance of missing the Javan force and leaving it in the West to raid his allies while his forces were tied up in the east.

"And so that's why I want to go south first," said Jack, explaining his reasoning to Aedan and Reina.

"You're placing a lot of hope on being able to turn your old comrade to your side," said Reina. "I hope that works out the way you expect it to."

"If I know Commodore Lucas, he won't be in a hurry to help Bancroft do anything," replied Jack. "He and I go back a long way, and he's just as dissatisfied with leadership as I was. I think we'll find a willing ally when we get there."

"Let's hope we do," said Aedan. "We need all the help we can get."

"Amen to that," said Jack but what he didn't realize was that Aedan's statement was about to open a can of worms.

Reina was just the first one to jump on it, and Jack noticed that her expression turned sourly instantly.

"I take it you're still going to have the Swabians arrive here as well?"

Jack nodded. "I have word from Ambros that he's set sail as well. He's only a day behind us."

"I still don't like that one bit, Jack," said Aedan. "Many of those men coming here were the same ones that occupied Zarah the first time around. You know how many atrocities were committed on my soil. What's to say it won't happen again?"

Jack put up his hands. "My faith in Ambros' ability to keep them in line. He's not let me down yet, and I have to urge you to give him a chance."

Aedan scoffed. "Hard to give that man a chance when he was once in charge of the occupation of my country."

"Aedan, I need you to let it go," said Jack in a firm tone. "We all voted for this."

"I voted to go to war with you, not to ally with the Swabians," he corrected quickly.

Reina tugged on Aedan's arm. "I believe the vote was for both of those items. And we all voted yay."

Aedan crossed his arms in front of his chest. "Still. I don't like it."

"You don't have to like it," said Jack. "All I ask is that you put your trust in me. I'm fully aware that whether or not we successfully integrate the Swabians into our force falls directly on my shoulders. My hope is to never get to the point where you get to say 'I told you so.' And I have to say also that none of this would have been possible if not for someone like Ambros, who is the kind of man that we can work with."

Aedan seemed ready to say something but he closed his mouth and stayed silent. It was only a minute later that he offered any words. "We'll see, Jack. For now, let's just change topics."

"I'd like nothing better," said Jack in a lighthearted tone. "Besides, I'd love to see the airplanes that are here already. Reina tells me we have quite a few ready to go."

Reina actually grinned. "Wait until you see them, Jack. They are our latest models and they are twenty percent lighter than before. What's more, the wings will fold up when they're not in use. They will be perfect for your carrier!"

Reina wasn't joking at all. She led Jack to the airfield outside of Zarah where nearly sixty planes were parked in a very tight space, made possible by their folding wings.

"This is wonderful, Reina," said Jack as he inspected the planes. "And I'm surprised you were able to get sixty of them in such short order!"

"Well, I'll be honest--my engineers were under enormous pressure to get them out," she said with a cheeky smile. "But you were lucky that they were able to take an existing design for a lighter aircraft and immediately put it into production. These planes were just the first that were ready to ship out. I have my factories cranking out more of them as we speak."

"That's excellent, because we could use some more spares in the hangar in theCenturion," said Jack. "I have a feeling we're going to need as much air power as we can get."

"What about Sorellan fire?" asked Aedan. "Do we still have ample stores of that? That kind of weapon is quite the game changer."

Jack nodded. "Nikias promised me that we could have much of what he has left. All we need to do is stop by Sorella on our way south to pick it up. In the meantime, we'll also take on about another seven hundred Sorellan troops, which is the full muster that they can contribute to our cause."

"Seven hundred?" asked Aedan with a shocked look. "I'm surprised they were able to find that many."

"I was thinking of putting the Sorellans and the Nax into one single regiment," said Jack. "Truthfully, I'm grateful we'll get anything at all."

"How are Elektra and the new baby doing?" asked Reina, changing the subject. "Does motherhood suit her well?"

Jack started to laugh. "You must not have been around Elektra much. I'm sure she's probably chafing at the bit to put down the bottle and pick up her rifle again."

Aedan let out a barking laugh. "Jack speaks the truth. How Nikias even managed to impregnate her in the first place is all I can guess. I never thought that girl would become a mother."

"Everyone changes eventually," said Jack as he put his hand on Aedan's shoulder. "Most times, it's for the better."

Aedan grunted, most likely as he figured out that Jack was talking metaphorically about the Swabians. "We'll see, Jack. We'll see about that."

*****

That evening, the storm blew over for good, and the cloudy skies were able to dissipate, allowing a sunset to be visible in Zarah. Jack watched most of it from his second floor headquarters in the city, where he was working out of a small office. The office was part of its own room while the other main room in the building was being used as a bedroom for him and his wives.

At that moment, neither of them were there with him. Kat was catching up with Ciara, making up for all the many months that they'd been apart. Abigail, on the other hand, was back aboard theDestiny, taking care of the minute business that always seems to fill a commodore's desk.

If Jack thought he was going to be alone for some time, he was sorely mistaken. An unlikely visitor soon appeared at his door, and he found himself grinning when he saw just who had stopped by.

"Bet you weren't expecting to see me tonight," said Luke with a wry smile as he leaned against the doorframe.

Jack didn't miss a beat. "No, and the night is instantly lessened now that you're here."

Luke chuckled and elbowed him in the ribs. "Oh, come on. You know you can always find time to talk with an old friend."

Jack laughed with him. "That I can. Come in. What brings you here tonight?"

Luke shrugged and then followed him inside. "Nothing in particular. I just felt like getting out of theValiant for a bit. I wanted to take a spin on dry land after getting tossed around like a child's plaything all day because of that storm."

"I could even feel the waves against theDestiny," said Jack. "I can't imagine what you were feeling on a smaller ship like theValiant."

Luke puffed out his cheeks. "Let's just say that about half my crew ended up hugging the railing, myself included. What a nasty little spell that was. Hopefully we've seen the last of this poor weather."

"We can hope," echoed Jack as he sat down at his desk and gestured for Luke to do the same. He reached over to pour a small amount of alcohol that he'd purchased earlier. "Try this. It's strong but it's very good."

Luke took the cup and drank it without any thought. He made a face as soon as it was down. "That's some potent stuff right there."

"Want more of it?"

"Damn straight I do."

Jack chuckled and started to pour some more into Luke's cup. Upon receipt, Luke leaned back in his chair and drank the second glass more slowly.

"That's excellent. It burns just the right amount on the way down."

"I thought you'd like that," said Jack. He let about a minute go by as they appreciated the alcohol before he raised the question of Luke's visit.

"You have something on your mind, don't you?" asked Jack.

Luke didn't look him in the eye. "How do you figure?"

"Come on, Luke, I know you. I've served with you for a long time. You forget there was a time when your quarters was just a door down from mine on theValiant. If I can't tell what you're thinking, then I've truly lost my touch."

Luke scoffed but he eventually nodded his head. "Yeah, I suppose you're right. There is something on my mind."

When Luke didn't come out and say what it was, Jack turned to guessing. "Wife problems?"

Luke chuckled. "No, that's one area where I have no problems. Kim and I are more than fine. We're great actually. No, there's nothing wrong there."

"Well, the way I see it, there can really only be one more thing," said Jack.

"And that would be?"

Jack spread his hands apart. "Java."

"Bingo," replied Luke.

"You're nervous about going back, aren't you? You're nervous because soon we're going to leave Zarah and the Vector behind and go back across the ocean, which means we could be fighting the very same people we once fought beside."

Luke let out a deep sigh. "I can't think of a better way to say it. It troubles me, Jack. I know why we need to do it, and I'll always do my duty when called upon, but I can't say that I can go into this conflict with an entirely clear conscience. Especially..."

CJMcCormick
CJMcCormick
2,498 Followers
123456...9