Fox, Satyr, Dragon Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It comes in when it matters." Branigan agreed. "Always has."

"Now if you could just get time on your side." Declan sighed, then grimaced. "Sorry. Shouldn't have said that."

"It's fine. It's always on my mind anyway."

"Jack will stay. When she has to choose."

"That's comforting to hear, Declan." Branigan began walking back to the women. "Really."

Chapter 17: A Visit From A King

"You haven't told Bran I'm here, right?"

"He didn't even know you were coming." Neil shook his head and smiled. "Please, have a seat. You may go, Violet."

"Great." Balraj curled his dark mustache, as he did often, before combing his fingers through his beard. As he did often. Then he sat down right as Neil's assistant left. "How have you been, Neil?"

"Fantastic." Neil said. "And you?"

"Same." Balraj flashed a white smile that shone brightly from the contrast with his black beard and brown skin. "It's really good to see you, Neil. Your Potions classes piqued my interest in medicine even if I was trash at the class. If I'm a doctor now, it's because of you."

"When it came to theory, you were at the top." Neil said. "It's a damn shame for the world that it doesn't have you as a Dra. But it has you as a doctor. How is your practice?"

"It's doing really well." Balraj said. "We're opening a second office. Next year. One for Alina to run."

Neil raised his eyebrows. "That's amazing news! We must toast to that."

"No no." Balraj raised his hand and motioned for Neil to remain sitting. "I'm abstaining from drinking. Out of courtesy to Alina."

"She's not drinking anymore?"

"Temporary sobriety."

"Temporary..." Neil's face broke out into a wide, overjoyed grin. "How far along is she?"

"Six months." Balraj smiled. "The other pregnancies didn't take so we wanted to wait to announce it this time. Only my sister and Alina's parents have known the whole time."

"Six?!" Neil exclaimed. "By goodness, Balraj, your child is practically here!"

"We really wanted to be sure."

"Fair. At least you told Simran."

"I like living, Neil." Balraj chuckled. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'd like to see my nephew. The cabins, correct?"

"Yes. Come see me afterwards when you need healing."

Balraj left, one hand in his pocket and the other hand curling his mustache. This time, he also ran his hand back through his mane of hair. A lock escaped and dangled down in front of his face. He ignored it since he had long grown accustomed to looking past it and buttoned his tweed suit.

The walk to the cabins was pleasant and painful for Balraj. The school gave him memories of his fun childhood but also reminders of his inability to perform magic. It was a pang of self-loathing that always returned whenever he came to Foxcastle. It didn't happen when he was around his family, for that he was grateful, but it did play a part in him marrying a normal woman.

"It worked out fine, you old bastard. Stop your spiraling." Balraj muttered to himself, then smiled and winked at a group of students as he passed them. "Good afternoon!"

With his ego sufficiently boosted from the blushing faces, Balraj walked with a spring in his step all the way to the cabins. He found Branigan's cabin and knocked.

"Yes?" Said the brunette that answered the door. A blonde was reading on the couch with her legs on the coffee table. She put them down when she saw him.

"Hm. I see Branigan has been busy." Balraj smiled. "Atta boy."

"Uhm... Who are you?" The brunette asked, remaining in the doorway with a hand on the door.

"I am Branigan's uncle. Balraj." He said, holding out a hand and smiling at both of them. "And you?"

"Oh! Hi! I'm Natalia. That's Sasha." Natalia smiled as she shook his hand, noticing the many resemblances between Branigan and Balraj. Mainly in the man's posture and subtle body movements. "Come on in..."

"Hold it!" Sasha got to her feet and rushed over, eyes narrowing at Balraj. "Bran didn't say anything about his uncle coming over."

"He didn't know."

"Isn't that convenient?" Her eyes remained narrow as she studied him. The man did look like he could be related to Branigan. But you still couldn't be too careful. "How do we know you're not lying?"

"Sash you're being silly." Natalia said.

"Bran lets us study in his cabin even when he's not around because he trusts us." Sasha said. "I'm not going to let some guy just walk in just because he says he's Bran's uncle."

"Look at him!" Natalia gestured at Balraj. "They even dress the same."

"He did take my style, yes." Balraj brushed dust off his shoulders that wasn't there. "Can you blame him?"

Sasha crossed her arms. "That just tells me you know how Bran dresses."

"I'm happy to see that Branigan has gotten himself such a protective girlfriend." Balraj said, unaffected by the glare Sasha was fixing him with. Normal people did not have the Dra custom of polyamory or polyfidelity so it often resulted in Balraj being glared at. And worse. "And a trusting one to balance things out."

"Who said we're dating?" Sasha snapped.

"It's obvious. You're his type and you're in his home. If you're not his girlfriends he is aiming to change that." Balraj said. "You want proof? Okay. On his bookshelf you'll find a leatherbound photo album. Gold stripes on the spine. Silver words saying 'We Are Made By Our Bonds' on the cover. You'll find my handsome face in many pictures."

"Nat. Go get the album." Sasha said.

"Why me?" Natalia frowned though she was already doing as she was asked.

"So." Balraj leaned on the doorframe and looked at Sasha. "How'd you and Branigan meet? Fall in love with the way he shelved books?"

"He's Foxcastle's librarian." Sasha said. "Shelving books is the least of his responsibilities."

"Hmm. What is? Seducing students?"

"He didn't seduce us!"

"Then you're available?" Balraj winked.

Smug bastard. Maybe they are related. Sasha thought as she gave him a frosty silence.

"He's in the album! In a lot of the pictures." Natalia said, walking out of the bedroom while looking through the photos. "Awwww here's a picture of him holding Bran as a baby!"

Sasha looked at the picture Natalia was pointing at. Balraj was holding a small, grinning child in his arms. The two were wearing matching suits. "Fine. I guess you can come in then. Bran should be on his way."

"You haven't aged at all, Mr. Malik." Natalia said, sitting down next to him with the album in her lap.

"Please." Balraj smiled, patting the sofa on his other side for Sasha to sit. "Call me Balraj."

Sasha sat at the dining table.

***

"The tournament will be a shoo-in for you, Jack." Branigan said as Jack came out of the locker room. He had been watching her spar, as he often did at the end of the day if work hadn't piled up.

"Thanks!" Jack squeezed his hand before letting go and walking at a platonic distance from him. "I'm not too worried about qualifying. But I'm gonna take everyone seriously."

"As you should." Branigan nodded. "Still not worried."

"Not biased at all."

"I'd say I'm giving a more than accurate judgement of your abilities." Branigan said as they left the gym. "Those doppels don't make mistakes like humans do."

"Also way easier to predict." Jack said. "They're not fucky in the head like we are."

Branigan laughed. "How are things with your fein?"

"Same trouble as always."

"You do an awful job of showing it." Branigan said. "Ask any of your classmates and they'd say you're one of the most talented Dra in your year."

"I'm no Natalia though."

"Welcome to the club."

"Excuse me." Jack raised an eyebrow. "You think she's more talented than you?"

"Dra come into their own in their mid twenties. Roughly. But you can start seeing hints of the potential when they're young." Branigan said. "I can tell you, right now, that Natalia will be more powerful than you, me, or Sasha. Raw magical power isn't worth much if you don't have the cleverness to wield it. Natalia has both in spades. If you ever get the chance to watch her while she's going through the fein focusing techniques I taught her, do it. She's a natural." He paused, then added. "Her insecurity is what's holding her back, aside from her temporary fein issues. But both will go in time."

"Have you told her this?"

"She doesn't believe me."

Jack snorted. "Expected."

"Yep." Branigan nodded, then cocked his head. "Hmm."

"What?"

"Unexpected visitor in my cabin."

"Natalia and Sasha are waiting for us, right? Did they trigger the alarm?"

"No. You three are sanctioned." Branigan said. "And this is just the normal alert. The visitor didn't trigger the full alarm."

"What does that?"

"Now why would I tell you that?" Branigan winked. "Let's walk a little faster, shall we? I'm curious."

The two began power walking and eventually arrived at the cabin. They could hear raucous laughter from the outside. "Damn, they're having a good time in there."

"And I know exactly why." Branigan grinned and waved his hand, the door slamming open as a result. Inside, he saw his uncle in the middle of a pantomime while Sasha and Natalia were curled up and leaning against each other on the sofa. Sasha was wiping tears from her eyes and Natalia looked to be completely out of breath. "BALRAJ!"

Balraj stopped immediately. "BRANIGAN!"

"YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD!" Branigan tackled his uncle and they both fell to the ground.

"SAYS YOU!" Balraj wrestled his nephew until he had him in a loose chokehold, allowing him to give Branigan a noogie. "You're getting my suit dirty, you fucking goon!"

"Anything you touch gets dirty immediately, you slime-ridden shit head." Branigan smiled.

"Dwarven slag!"

"Giant tool!"

"Well now that's a compliment." Balraj said. Then he began laughing. "If only it were true!"

Branigan joined him until he remembered his girlfriends were in the room watching them. He got to his feet and pulled Balraj up, slapping the man on the shoulder when they were face to face. "Good to see you, Balraj."

"Good to see you too, kid." Balraj hugged Branigan, properly, then moved away while still keeping an arm around Branigan's shoulder "So. Did you come to this school to work or pick up women?"

"Both." Branigan said. "You've met Sasha and Natalia already."

"Yes I have." Balraj nodded, then smiled at Sasha. "This one was a tough one to win over."

"You did it in five seconds." Natalia said. "It took Branigan a few days."

"I'm not surprised, dear." Balraj said. "A reflection is not the same as the original."

"But I can still try." Branigan shrugged, surprising the girls by replying so humbly. "And this is Jack Sarkan. Another girlfriend."

"Another from a known family?" Balraj shook Jack's hand. "By god maybe you aren't just a reflection."

"Branigan's easy to like." Jack said. "He talks a lot about you, sir, so it's really good to finally meet you."

"Does he now?" Balraj raised an eyebrow and curled his mustache. "What does he say?"

"That you're the best man I know. Aside from Dad." Branigan said.

Jack saw the utter joy in Branigan's eyes and the way he was twitching with excitement. He looked like a little boy opening gifts on Winter Solstice Eve. It pulled at her heartstrings and she moved closer to him as a compromise against hugging him.

"Tied for first. I'll take it." Balraj said. "Hard to compete with Arthur."

"But you give him a run for his money, Balraj." Branigan said. "You hungry? Have you eaten?"

"Not hungry yet, but I will be."

"Then I'll get started on cooking." Natalia rushed off to the kitchen.

"Oh. Wow. Thank you." Balraj said.

"Clog our arteries, Nat!" Branigan sat down next to Balraj. Jack was on Branigan's other side. Sasha, with nowhere to go, went to the kitchen to possibly help Natalia.

"Actually, Natalia, I would rather you didn't." Balraj said. "A normal meal will suffice."

"What's wrong, Balraj? You sick?"

"No no. I've decided to listen to the same advice I give my patients."

"That's Alina talking." Branigan shook his head, smiling ruefully and looking at Jack. "Is this what you three will do to me?"

"Yep!" Sasha answered. "I saw you inhale three chili dogs at lunch. Won't fly for long, Bran."

"Just three?" Balraj asked. "What's wrong, Branigan? You sick?"

Branigan shrugged. "Natalia promised to cook me dinner tonight so I wanted to make sure I had room."

The conversation drifted to various topics, such as Balraj's growing success and Jack's Artificery projects, until it slowly dwindled down into a comfortable silence. Branigan took the opportunity to break it and finally ask what he had been wanting to ask since he saw his uncle.

"What are you doing here, Balraj?"

"Can't a man come visit his nephew?"

"Any time. But that's not why you're here tonight." Branigan said. "What's up?"

"Hmm. Perceptive as usual." Balraj slightly leaned so he could talk directly to Jack. "Could you restrain Branigan's hands for a moment? Not too hard. Just keep him off of me."

Jack, of course, obeyed without question despite Branigan's confused protests.

"Alina would have loved to be here to join me in telling you, but she is with her parents." Balraj stood and moved out of reach of Branigan's legs, which wasn't very far. "She's pregnant, Branigan. Six months."

The cabin went silent, all eyes on Branigan. He smiled. Then grimaced angrily as he realized Balraj had kept a secret of this magnitude from him for six months. Then, when he realized why Balraj had kept it quiet for so long, Branigan made a strange expression that was a grin, a frown, and a laugh all at once. "You rotten bastard."

"To the core." Balraj smiled. "Calm enough to give me a hug?"

"I'll punch you later." Branigan said. "Do Mom and Dad know?"

"Simran has known the whole time. I'll tell your dad in a few days when I drop by."

"You can let go, Jack. I won't kill him for waiting to tell me." Branigan said. Jack let go and Branigan got up slowly. He smiled at Balraj, tears in his eyes. "Three more months and I get a cousin?"

"Three more months and you get a godson." Balraj said. "If you're willing."

"Me? But Balraj my..." Branigan caught himself. "Are you sure?"

Balraj, for the first time that evening, gave his attention to the chains occasionally peeking out from under Branigan's clothes. He smiled softly and hugged Branigan. "Bran I decided years and years ago that if I ever managed to have a kid, you'd be the godfather. But you can say no. I would understand."

I should say no. I have to say no. Branigan thought.

He looked his Uncle Balraj in the eye.

"Yes. I would love to."

Jack, Natalia, and Sasha all saw the worry on Branigan's face. When he noticed them looking at him, he gave a half-hearted smile and simply hugged Balraj tighter. His thoughts were running too wild for him to bother hiding his mood from his girlfriends. He had just agreed to be a potential guardian for a child he couldn't even go see if needed. A child that, if Balraj and Alina died, he would have to bring to Foxcastle to join him in his prison until the child was old enough to leave.

A child that would outlive him. Just like everyone else he loved.

"We'll get through this." Balraj said softly. "Chin up, kid."

Kid. He certainly felt like one.

***

"You could've just crashed on my bed." Branigan said. They were all walking to the dormitories. A few rooms in each building had been set aside for visiting family and Balraj would be staying the night before leaving the next afternoon.

"Kicking you out of your bed doesn't appeal to me." Balraj said. "Sasha, don't tell Anette that I'm here. I'd like to surprise her as well."

"Sure thing." Sasha said, then pointed at her barren right thumb while nodding at the ring on Balraj's. "So did Bran copy all of your fashion choices?"

Balraj looked at the gold ring on his thumb, identical to the one Branigan wore in look and placement, and chuckled. "He copied a lot of it. But this is a Malik family tradition. When a child comes of age, they pick from a collection of gold jewelry. And when they die, it's returned to the collection for the next child to pick."

"Yep. I'm a Stone by name." Branigan said. "But I've got Malik blood too."

"Stone King." Natalia said. "Sounds cool."

"Ah you know your history." Balraj smiled. "Our family has long stepped down from their ruling days."

"You still look like one, Balraj." Natalia said. "I've seen paintings of South Panasian kings. Well I guess they were Hindhrani back then but you know what I mean."

"Yes..." Balraj said, frowning into the distance since he heard a noise. He began running. "OI! What's going on over there?!"

Two figures that were struggling against each other, one more than the other, stopped at the sound of Balraj's voice. Branigan sighed when they all saw why. "Stay here, all of you."

He ran after Balraj. The girls were right behind him.

"You alright, son?" Balraj easily shouldered Lucas out of the way and peered down at Glen, scanning the bruise forming on his face. Slight of frame and doe eyed, Glen would be an easy target for even Natalia.

"Y-yeah. We..." Glen glanced at Lucas and winced. "We were just messing around."

"No you weren't. We saw him hitting you!" Sasha snapped. "What the fuck, Lucas?!"

"Mind your own business, cunt." Lucas said, keeping his voice cowardly low.

"Wanna repeat that, Lucas?" Jack smiled wide. "A little louder this time."

"Mind your own business, cunt!" Lucas said, surprising them all, including himself. Thought you could use a little boost. Cackled the voice in his head.

"No, Jack." Branigan softly put a hand on Jack's shoulder. "Lucas, you and I are going to see Headmaster Blackvine. Right now."

"No, please!" Glen struggled out of Balraj's grip. "I was teasing him and he pushed me. Playfully. He just doesn't know his own strength sometimes. That's all! Please, Branigan. Don't make a big deal out of this."

Branigan's expression softened as he looked at Glen. He sighed. "You can't cover for him, forever."

"I'm not covering for him!" Glen pleaded. "It's the honest truth!"

"Fine. I'll take your word for it." Branigan said. "Lucas, if I see that even a single hair on Glen's head is harmed," He put his hands in his pockets and looked up at the student. The threatening aura around Branigan made it seem as though he was the taller one. "Headmaster Blackvine will be the least of your worries. Understood?"

The demon's courage left him. "Y-y-yes."

"No. Nevermind. I've changed my mind. Your understanding isn't enough for me." Branigan said. "Natalia. I apologize for putting you on the spot. But do you still want to cover for Lucas?"

"...No." Natalia caved. She couldn't justify it anymore. Lucas being a clingy and creepy ex was one thing. Abusing a current partner was different.

"Good. Glen go to your room." Branigan said. "Sorry, Balraj. I have to deal with this now."

"It's fine. I'll come see you tomorrow before I leave." Balraj said. "Good night, everyone."

"Jack, run ahead and get Neil, please."

Jack nodded, squeezed Natalia's hand, then went running.

"Well?" Branigan raised an eyebrow at Lucas. "Get walking. Not too fast."

"Branigan..." Glen started.

"This isn't about Lucas hitting you, Glen. We won't be mentioning that." Branigan said. "But we will be talking about his relentless stalking and harassment of Natalia. Go to bed."

Branigan's casual tone and demeanor scared Glen into leaving, but he did take frequent looks back at his boyfriend.

"You're m-m-making a m-m-mistake." Lucas spat.

"The mistake I made was listening to Natalia for this long." Branigan said. "If you say another word, I'll shut you up myself. Would you like to find out how? There are spells they don't teach you in Foxcastle."

1...34567...18