Freelancers 02: The Cat's Genes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Delia nodded. 'She is the closest thing to a daughter for us.'

'Well, after this sleep period, you can live a peaceful family life for the years to come.' said Kal while Viri slapped the ball from Genuata's light grip on it, and launched it towards him. He caught it quickly and spurted away.

Delia watched them in amusement for a little while longer before continuing on her way to her suite.

#

Everyone stood outside the remotely located house in a forested region of one of the smaller inhabited islands on Hortus. Kal handed over a thick envelope to Gerond. 'From now on you're two retired medical assistants who have moved here to enjoy the quiet of nature. There are some documents to cover your history, but I doubt anyone from the island village nearby is interested in hearing more than some juicy anecdotes about doctors and patients, which I think you can supply with your background.'

Gerond shook his hand. 'Once more, we can't thank you enough for what you've done for us.' he said, looked at Delia for a moment, then at Saeru and Viri hugging Genuata on both sides. 'But there's one more request we'd like to make.'

'Sure?' said Kal. 'If it's something we can do.'

Delia wrapped her arm around her husband's arm. 'Can you let Gen live with you?'

Three pairs of furry ears pricked up.

Delia smiled gently at Genuata. 'We're not the youngest and obviously not becoming younger, and there will come a time when we have our hands full with living a daily life for ourselves. We don't want to deprive her of a life where she can spend all her energy however she likes while she still has so many years ahead of her.' She looked at Kal. 'As far as we can tell, she will live as long as any human.'

Genuata moved to her parents with a sombre and soft growl, and they hugged her tight. 'We talked it over last night, sweet girl.' said Gerond. 'We hate to say goodbye to you, but you looked so carefree with these good people and if they're willing to take you with them, we won't have to worry about your future.'

Viri and Saeru took Kal's hands and looked at him. He already knew what they thought without a word from them. 'Are you sure about this? As you've seen, we do encounter dangerous situations.'

Gerond looked up at him. 'Despite that, we trust she'll be better off with you in the end. It's not something we can explain with logic, it's something we just know.'

Kal squatted and looked at Genuata. 'It's up to you, Gen. If you come with us, the least I can promise is that we'll come visit here when we have the opportunity and there's no risk of exposing them.'

Genuata's gaze went from him, to her parents, to Saeru and Viri, and back to her parents again. She gave them a gentle lick on their cheeks and embraced them, then let go and gave Kal a nod.

Saeru and Viri hugged her at once. 'Welcome to our little family.' said Viri.

Kal stood up and received a tight hug from Delia. 'Take good care of our little girl.'

He hugged her back. 'I won't care any less for her than I do for Saeru and Viri and even Tori, I promise you.'

Saeru giggled. 'Hear that, Vi? We have another rival now.'

Genuata looked at Kal with a curious expression while the others laughed and giggled, and he looked up and sighed at the sky. 'Why do I feel I doomed myself even more?'

Gerond chuckled and laid his hand on Kal's shoulder. 'You'll just have to bear with it.' he said, then pulled a folded note from his pocket and gave it to Kal, and looked at Saeru and Viri. 'Delia and I went over the people we know, publications and other data, and anything else related to our field, and we think this person might know more about your origins or could provide a clue. Unfortunately we could only come up with a name and can't guarantee it is an actual lead, but we hope it'll be of help to you.'

Kal read the name and gave the note to his girls. 'Thank you. We had nothing left after we searched for clues, but now we can continue.'

#

Saeru stroked a purring Genuata later in Torianne's common area while she broke orbit. 'What will we do next?'

Kal stretched on the opposite couch. 'Return home, and if Tori and you girls have no objection, move all our belongings here and make her our permanent home. We won't have to worry about the current place while we're gone and we have plenty of space here.'

Saeru looked at Viri sitting on the other side of Genuata, and a nod was all it took. 'We'd love to live here with her. What do you say, Tori?'

'That means you'll be at my mercy if you don't wipe your feet when you enter me. I'm fine with that.' she giggled.

'All right, we're moving in then.' said Kal. 'But first we'll stop on the way and buy a stack of doormats.'

-