From Rags to Riches! Ch. 01

Story Info
How a man survives a dark time in his life.
1.6k words
4.36
12.6k
14

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/20/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

From rags to riches! Chapter 1

Hello everyone this is the first chapter and this contains introductions to the main characters. This also contains background info, however there is no erotic content, but that is cuming and I promise it will be worth the wait!

Characters -

Jim Smith - Father / Husband

Abbi Smith - Mother / Wife

Josh Smith - Son / Brother

Heather Smith - Daughter / Sister

Ian Smith - Jim's uncle

Thomas Jefferson - Attorney

Miss Anderson - Thomas's secretary

Overview -

Jim Smith is down on his luck. He's lost his job and can't find a new one. The bills are piling up and the mortgage is 2 months over due. The cars are about to be repossessed. His life is crashing down around him, his bank is looking to foreclose, and the worst part is his wife has been having serious health problems, This is the story of a man who is at the lowest point in his life and is on the verge of being homeless and the possibility of losing his wife being very real....He is at the point of severe depression, nervous breakdown, and possibly worse! This is the story of how he not only survives, but manages to turn his life and that of his family around and even possibly affecting those he interacts with on a daily basis.

The story begins-

Jim smith is probably having the worst year of his life! In last several months he has lost his job, his home is going to be foreclosed on and his cars are going to be repossessed, and worst of all his wife is in the hospital with a very serious and mysterious health issue. The doctors are baffled and what is causing the health problems and they remain undiagnosed. Jim has been trying to find a new job, but times are tough and unemployment is at an all time high. He desperately wants to take care of his wife and 2 kids. He and his wife are in their mid 40's and both are in fairly good shape (despite her health problems) with Jim being fairly tall at 6 foot 2 and weighing in at 185 pounds with a firm build and his wife Abbi was and average height and build at 5 foot 5 and 125 pounds and both were average although fairly good looking people.

At this point with his wife in the hospital and their 2 kids Josh and Heather finishing up their senior year in high school and Jim is at the point where really dark thoughts are starting to enter his mind. Sitting by himself at home and with so many worries plaguing his mind and his thoughts drifting toward retrieving his pistol from his gun safe in the office. In a last ditch attempt to refocus his negative thoughts, he tried to remember better times in his life. His thoughts drifted toward his childhood and all the love his parents gave, how they taught him to work hard, be respectful, to always help those in need, and to share love with all your heart. His mood started to lift and just as quick crashed back down when he remembered the tragic accident that killed his Parents and his younger sister. In fact outside his immediate family the only family he had left was an uncle that he hadn't seen in 15 years.

Jim suddenly felt very alone and in am moment of deep disparity he was just about ready to head to his office and then the gun safe. He got up from couch and made his way into the office and just as he was about to access the gun safe...THE PHONE RANG...Jim jumped what felt like six feet in the air.

He picked up the phone and said "Hello", a strange mans voice with a bit of edge to it, asked "Is Jim Smith there?"

Jim Replied "Speaking".

"Hello Mr Smith my name is Thomas Jefferson and I'm an attorney. Unfortunately my call is of an official nature and I have say it is not good news."

Jim thought - oh hear we go just when I thought my life couldn't get any worse...hear comes some legal trouble. Maybe its for the bank and a foreclosure or maybe its even worse. Before his train of thought could get any darker he said "Oh god what now."

The attorney asked if he was sitting down, which he was. Then he said "I must inform you that your Uncle Ian has passed away after a lengthy battle with cancer. I'll give you moment to collect your thoughts and I'm very sorry for your loss.'" He sighed in apparent sadness.

Jim was actually shaking and this most recent news was like the the icing on his shitty cake. After wallowing in self pity for several minutes he finally said "I don't know what to say."

Thomas replied " Again I'm very sorry for your loss, while I wish it was under better circumstances I do have some good news for you. I'm sure you maybe unaware but you are the sole beneficiary of your uncles estate and assets."

Jim couldn't couldn't believe what he was hearing. His mind was racing with possibilities....he couldn't remember what his uncle did for a living as his uncle was always rather private about his business dealings. In fact Jim remembered that his uncles work was some sort of secret like the classified kind of secret other then that he realized he had no idea what his uncle was involved in. His uncle has always been kind and generous, but he hadn't been around a lot and he couldn't imagine his uncle had a Lot of money he was always just kind of plain, he never was a sharp dresser, he didn't have extravagant possessions, even his home and cars had always just been average, nothing special. After several minutes of silent reflection he asked the lawyer "Ok what am I looking at as far as assets?"

Thomas made an unusual sound, possibly clearing his throat and said "I would like to meet with you this afternoon if possible and go over all the details of your uncles last will and testament."

Other than going to the hospital and seeing his wife or being home when the kids got home from school he really didn't have anything else to do. So he agreed to meet the lawyer at his office at 1pm. After getting the address and directions he hung up the phone.

Jim sat there in his office, his mouth hanging wide open and in a total state of shock. His feelings were all over the place with all the bad things that had befallen him and his family recently, could he dare to hope that this inheritance would be enough to change his rotten luck. He wasn't sure, but at least he wasn't thinking about the gun safe anymore.

After sitting there lost in his own thoughts for what felt like hours he looked at the clock and saw that it was already 12:30pm and realized he better get moving. He grabbed his keys and headed out to his pick up truck. As he was heading for the driveway he realized that his shiny red Ford truck was hooked up to a tow truck and and the driver was just pulling away and as he went by mouthed the word "REPO" and just that quick he pulled onto the street and was gone. Jim just shook his head and cursed his bad luck.

Fortunately with his wife in the hospital, her Honda Accord was available. He had the spare key and was finally on his way. He arrived at the attorney's office 20 minutes later and was just in time for his appointment.

Jim walked into the office and found a young lady sitting at a reception desk he introduced himself and said that he had an appointment with Thomas Jefferson. The young lady identified herself as Mr. Thompsons secretary and that he was expected. Show also said that if he needed anything else while he was there that he could ask for her and that her name was Miss Anderson. He then was led into Mr. Thomas's office.

Mr. Thomas stood up shook my hand and asked me to have a seat. He said bare with me as a I read you the contents of your uncles will "The last will and testament of Ian David Smith. I hear by leave all my worldly possessions to my only remaining family member James Nathan Smith. I further stipulate that my desire is for my nephew to utilize these assets for the betterment of not only his own life and family, but for those around him, that work for him, and for those that are in dire need that he will assuredly come in contact with, if it is determined by any official agency, this law office, or any other legitimate source that these assets are being used for strictly selfish, highly immoral, or heinous criminal purposes than this will will become null and void, further more said assets will then be liquidated and set up as a trust fund and used strictly for worthy charitable organizations to be determined by my lawyer and friend Thomas Jefferson. See attached listings to see all assets.

1.Primary Residence - 5 bedroom 2 story home on 5000 acres of land at 7700 Pine Oaks Road in Colorado Springs, Co.

2. Secondary Residence - Medium Sized villa on a private island near to Belize in the Caribbean

3. All business holdings - Including Ardent Technologies, Smith Medical Products, and Valiant Corporate security services and access to all associated resources.

For a grand total of 4,589,125,953 dollars in total liquid and solid assets.

More to come....