All Comments on 'Front Window'

by Just_Words

Sort by:
  • 145 Comments
A_BierceA_Bierceabout 1 year ago

I think Hitch would approve. Nice job, sir.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Different point of view for this story. Knees are harder than hips. That's why most modern shops have large, sturdy construction tables that are built approximately two feet off the ground so you don't have to kneel down to build cabinets. Really good ones have interlocking 24"x24"x1" thick rubber mats that go together like a puzzle and can be assembled and disasembled quickly for cleaning, moving and protecting everyones knees. Sorry for the Shop talk. Wouldn't he have been wealthy if a city truck killed his wife? If you don't think people don't go for revenge in real life, you should read some of the headlines from around the country and world to see the absolutely wild and crazy things people do to one another. It's a short step from love to hate to bat-shit-crazy and people make that leap every day. Thanks for the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Frankly, I don't understand whether or not to tell your friend what's going on.

The truth is the truth.

Nowadays, everyone wants to find someone responsible or guilty other than themselves, except you are not responsible for the choices, actions or consequences of other people.

You are only responsible for your own actions, and if you fully take all your own responsibility, that's a hell of a job.

Why take those of others?

IcarusascendingIcarusascendingabout 1 year ago

Love it! Sometimes a perspective shift can make a tired old trope interesting

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good story. Jenny became Sally for a minute there.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Well done. Just right.

TajfaTajfaabout 1 year ago

Short but very sweet. 5 stars

servant111servant111about 1 year ago

Wow right out of Hitchcocs “Rear Window” which is one of my all time favorites. Your Jimmy Stewart character is excellent. WELL DONE!

5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Got me wondering what I would do if I was in Henry’s place…….

bobareenobobareenoabout 1 year ago

A good read. 5 stars.

GarySmith69GarySmith69about 1 year ago

Good story. I would definitely tell a friend about a partner cheating on him. If that broke our friendship so be it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Write a happy ending for once.

JensensloverJensensloverabout 1 year ago
YAWN

Just plain BORING!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

thanks for another well crafted story. not the usual loving wives story, but so well done

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Reality hit LW? Wow *****!

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 1 year ago

That was a sensitive, well constructed story. It had the feel of reality. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Nice with the change of perspective

demanderdemanderabout 1 year ago

An interesting story with a new twist. Well executed. D

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very good and quite realistic

jmmj5jmmj5about 1 year ago

I enjoyed that.

Different take, and I like having that different view from time to time.

I like that Chris helped him with his shop and of course the happy(er) ending.

Thanks for sharing

AngelRiderAngelRiderabout 1 year ago

You are better than this line:

"You need time to come to terms with what just happened. It may not be the end of the world. I'm not saying it will be easy, but I do know that girl loves you. Maybe you can patch things up once you've had a little time to think about it."

You are nearly always more thoughtful in your writing and your protagonist doesn't come across as any less thoughtful than you. It doesn't matter if she loves him. It doesn't even matter if later, as we find out, Jenny is able to easily compartmentalize. She doesn't respect Chris. When you do not respect your spouse, any love you have for that person cannot be romantic love of someone you cherish, someone whose needs are quickly placed over one's one. It's not even love of a pet. It's love of what they do for you and how they make you feel. Cheaters are always narcissistic to some degree.

You know this :)

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 1 year ago

Smooth read with a really unique perspective, not unlike the story of its namesake. I get the focus was on Chris and Sally, but not sure why your character didn't call out Herb himself. Rounded up to 5*

woodwardwoodwardabout 1 year ago

Well done. Always a very difficult choice when you could lose either way on acting.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Your MC should have been named James Stewart 😎

.

Well written. Yeah….very common plot, but the perspective made it a bit different.

.

5 *****

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

It was good; but unnecessarily hurtful.

Despite MC words, he enjoyed watching people get hurt. He got a sadistic glee. If he was concerned m, if he wanted to see the marriages get better, then he would have confronted Jenny.

But like all sadists, he thrived on others pain.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Where does the mc get the evidence that has him make the proclamation that "but I do know that girl loves you"? The bitch is lying, cheating, disrespectful in the most hateful way possible. I really appreciate the honor in telling a friend the truth, but the story could have been filled out in other ways than that bullshit.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 1 year agoAuthor

@Anonymous - I write plenty of happy endings. Some of them are in Loving Wives, but most tend to be in the Romance section and sometimes in the Non-Erotic section. Perhaps you should broaden your horizons and read something outside of Loving Wives?

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 1 year ago

That's a terribly sad, but truthful story. 5*

Meanwhile in an example of life following art I was kneeling down brushing up something and I kneeled on something sharp. Ouch!

Bri29Bri29about 1 year ago

I agree good story and a good neighbour, 5 stars

goodshoes2goodshoes2about 1 year ago

Funny and interesting.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Other than when you mixed up Jenny and Sally, this is a solid story.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66about 1 year ago

Excellent story, with the unusual premise. Well done! 5 stars.

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 1 year ago

Entertaining story.

Thanks for the different perspective.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 1 year ago

Hitchcock would have liked it. I did.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Well done (except for the Jenny/Sally mixup). It was an interesting, well-paced story that captured the aftermath of knee-replacement surgery. There is probably no reasonable explanation for why a lothario would park routinely in the wife’s driveway. It just makes no sense.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Great story!

""If You See Something, Say Something "

kameljockeykameljockeyabout 1 year ago

Cheating through the eyes of an observer. Good story..........

Frank66Frank66about 1 year ago

Different, interesting, original, not too many typos (the cell phone range?). Liked it a lot, and loved how he found a way to let his neighbor/friend know about the cheating. Well thought out.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I rarely log in so I am Escape_Within on this site. I found the story very intriguing. I am in my sixties and have had 4 knee replacements. The first in my thirties and the most recent last year. Two knees four joints. I also lived at a time on a "fun loving cul de sac". The depiction of therapy is good. The dilemma faced is well defined. For me I stood at my front door every time the boyfriend left. My neighbors divorced too. Six couples on the circle and we are the only ones still together. Keeping friends is hard. Keeping to your principles is even harder. Well written and well done

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A very interesting perspective.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Yep, bitch got off way too easy!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

If a tree falls in the middle of the forest, does it makes a sound? Yes, but you will hear it only if you're nearby. Thanks for the entertaining story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

50% of marriages fail. Biggest problem? Infidelity. The Devil stays busy.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958about 1 year ago

Nice. More like this, please. Randi.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago
Great story!

Another great and entertaining story. Thanks for taking the time to write it. You are an amazing writer and I always look forward to reading your stories. Your hard work is deeply appreciated.

UnassignedUnassignedabout 1 year ago

This story felt a lot longer than 6k words, but in a good way. Well done!

GamblnluckGamblnluckabout 1 year ago

I loved the story! well written, nicely paced with just the right amount of sarcasm (Nurse Pain) and thought. 5 stars

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionabout 1 year ago

I loved it. It was probable based on the old triller by Alfred Hitchcock, Rear Window, with Jimmy Stewart. But that's not the only reason I loved it. One of the other reasons was it reminded me of my knee replacement. It didn't go quit as predicted. One day in and out turned into four. I have very little memory of the first two weeks convalescence or the visiting nurse because of the pain meds. After that I had to go to my therapy and the therapist was a sweet little thing that talked so softly and was very attentive until I had to do my exercises, then I swear I saw a red glow in her eyes. OK I know she did what she did for my own good but at the time it was happening it's hard to see. Everyone keeps telling me I should do the other knee, but they only saw what I allowed them to see and what I couldn't hide. Funny thing is the one thing the Doctor said that was 100 percent true was it was going to hurt more than anything I had ever experienced. 5-stars for this story. I saw more reality in this story than most. Thanks for the submission.

Karn9Karn9about 1 year ago

Sitting home looking out my front window after knee replacement, I don’t see that action occurring it’s just boring people walking dogs, school buses going by and of course the constant flow of Amazon delivery truck! Great story 5*

imhaplessimhaplessabout 1 year ago

Entertaining -- since that is my main purpose in reading stories on this site need I say more? 5*

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlennyabout 1 year ago

You gotta tell your buddy if you see something, that's what being a true friend means. If he blames me then so be it, but I did my duty to him.

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlennyabout 1 year ago

You gotta tell your buddy if you see something, that's what being a true friend means. If he blames me then so be it, but I did my duty to him.

Ridiculous69Ridiculous69about 1 year ago

Always enjoy this author. Has real men as the MC and keeps things within what could really happen. No room for wimps and simps. Felt a lot like Hitchcock’s Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart. Good movie - worth a look

l0ver0tical0ver0ticaabout 1 year ago

Well told, well written, and fairly true to life--with just enough of a revenge fantasy at the end to satisfy those of us who've been through the first part without enough of the second in our own experience...

MwestohioMwestohioabout 1 year ago

Good portrayal of the difficulty deciding whether to be the bearer of bad tidings

TnicollTnicollabout 1 year ago

First of all, Rear Window is one of the GREATEST movies of all time. Secondly, I lived this story. Only it wasn’t my knee. It was my back. I shared my observations with my wife, she called me Gladys Kravitch and told me to mind my own business. I closed the blinds and did just that. Good job 5*

GrimmerGrimmerabout 1 year ago

Well written, framed, snapshot of neighborhood life.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Nowabout 1 year ago

Wow. That was great! Thank you!

muskyboymuskyboyabout 1 year ago

Felt like only part of a story to me. 2/5

ibuguseribuguserabout 1 year ago

Very nice. 5*.

I hadn't heard of Peyton place in 45 years! Brought back some memories...

SexecutionerSexecutionerabout 1 year ago

There might come a day, when these writers realize that the degree of disrespect shown by fucking some other guy in your shared bed, does not equate to love.

Perhaps a gofundme campaign so they could buy some logic...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

This is s site for SEX stories......not the Lifetime channel

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

It’s a different story, though with the same ingredients. Protagonist was a good character.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

He saw and kept it to himself way too Long and didn't tell others their spouses were cheating.

Not much of a Man

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Read angelrider comment after posting mine

She hit my main concern with most of these stories

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Just a little note aside relative to JW's afterword about psychopaths and sociopaths.

It's my understanding that psychologists "these" days are more and more phasing-out use of the word psychopath in favor of sociopath. Apparently, the term psychopath is perceived as being too negative.

So, it would appear that in today's health care industry, those two words actually describe the same mental "affliction".

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Sometimes, dear author, reality wins especially if the payback is ice cold. It's like legal justice, if you want it, you have to get it yourself and sometimes pay the price.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Kind of an updated redux of Jimmy Stewart in Hitchcock's "Rear Window".

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

You were right--it was slower than the others. The story was excellent, but there was so much fluff and so many nearly identical scenes and moments that it felt repetitious. It kind of dragged along and felt cut-n-pasted at times. The idea is fresh and well-conceived, but it needs an editor to clean it up. Also, you mixed up Sally and Jenny once. Even with the clutter up, it's a five-rated story.

MormonJackMormonJackabout 1 year ago

Awesome! Loved the perspective of the unaffected, but knowledgeable neighbor.

ChopinesqueChopinesqueabout 1 year ago

Sometimes it seems all the plots in this theme are utterly worked out and only repetition is left. Nope! This was creative. Even with the salute to old Hitch.

ChopinesqueChopinesqueabout 1 year ago

A quick second comment. Where's the Grace Kelly character?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

For romance just make it gooey, mushy, and so on.

Loving wife’s has in most part the grit of life

LOVE slap-hapy-papy #9

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

5.

I almost never give a five. Less than a handful over many years. This got a five because it's original. It's realistic. It captures the dilemma and second-guessing that a witness faces in trying to do what's right while being faced with a terrible wrong. It demonstrates the necessary humility that should always be embraced when stepping into other people's lives.

This is thoughtful and well done. And deserving of applause.

Knoxhard

Driven2ReadDriven2Readabout 1 year ago

5* loved it ... The perfect LW setup that I really haven't seen done like this. I've always wondered about cul-de-sac busybodies, why more stuff doesn't come out. I've always lived rural until just recently. One thing I've noticed that is way different from my childhood - nobody talks to the neighbors? My neighborhood when I grew up was small (only 6 families in rural setting) but we all knew each other, hung together, etc. Nothing happened at a house that someone didn't see. For that last 30 years, where I had my last home, the nearest neighbor was 1/4 mile away but I knew everyone around. Just generational I guess but no seems to do that anymore.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good stuff, 5 stars. Thanks for posting.

mainer42mainer42about 1 year ago

Liked this story very much. AH would have liked it too, especially if Jenny was a blonde

rnebularrnebularabout 1 year ago

Good tale,sadly Jenny became Sally a few times but otherwise nice little read. Thanks for sharing!

DazzyDDazzyDabout 1 year ago

FYI, my the paragraph that said x still likes to sleep Wi Th a man.

....... Is confusing to me. Did he sleep with a man?

SarahwithloveSarahwithloveabout 1 year ago

Every state in this great nation needs to take another look at infidelity and the damage it does to families and thus society as a whole. They then, if keeping divorce as it is, need to enact laws that punish the intervening third party enough to discourage any further offense. As it is now, the "other" person seems to be the only one who is shielded from harm and has nothing to lose in his/her pursuit in destroying families. Laws go to the extreme to protect children from all kinds of negative influences and yet the failures keep mounting at alarming rates. Maybe rule one in protecting children should be protecting the child's father and mother from outside predators and giving the family a better chance at doing what it used to do best, raising our kids.

BaggyUKBaggyUKabout 1 year ago

Every time I read your work the name you use belies your ability. You are always good but this was really good, thank you.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefabout 1 year ago

Totally outside the box on this one, but I loved it. Henry wasn't a Gladys Kravitz, but he had a morel dilemma that needed to be resolved, kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989about 1 year ago

Different approach and well done.

BSreaderBSreaderabout 1 year ago
I

Always enjoy your writing the shame is the wife didn't think she was doing anything wrong, well guess what.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Why is there such a tendency among writers - to marry husbands after divorce to women with children and make them the best fathers in the world? A woman with children is already a family and a new man will always be secondary. And a woman who has children from a previous relationship will think ten times and can implicitly and quietly, but sabotage the birth of children in a new marriage, fearing that the appearance of his own offspring will change the established relationship between stepfather and stepsons. Why then do most authors not accept that their characters put up with raising someone else's child when they find out about their wife's pregnancy and that they are not sperm donors? What difference does it make - the children of a widow, as in this story, or the fruit of the insane lust of a colleague of his wife on a rare business trip? Since the characters of faithful husbands created by writers are so noble and altruistic?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

It turned out to be a strange division of lives for this Jenny... Love at work and love at home? Let's put it this way. But then why was it necessary to intertwine them so closely, inviting a lover into the marital bed, with a constancy worthy of the metronome of marital duty? I fuck my second only at work, since he is an office husband. At parties, we don't look at each other at all, we pretend to be strangers.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Great

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Jenny and Sally swap names a couple of times. Advice: Before you post, put the story aside for a couple of weeks and then read it straight through. You'll be surprised what you can discover.

BeBopper99BeBopper99about 1 year ago

1* So let me see if I understand this. The author says the MC saw a bunch of bad stuff happening to neighborhood friends, but doesn't do anything about it. Shade of Kitty Genovese murder. I call that a moral coward.

kiteareskitearesabout 1 year ago

Could have loved it if he wasn't so judgemental... Mrs Perkins can cheat, but Mrs Carpenter (be it Jenny or sometimes alter ego Sally) can't.

Some parts reminded me of (for the UK) Mr Benn and Festive Road.

Lost a star for mixing up your own characters

jazzharpjazzharpabout 1 year ago

Well written as always. 5 from me.

Amused that AngelRider (who loves you) would take you to task for MC saying "You need time... I do know that girl loves you..."

Your MC is trying to find something comforting to say. Struck me as what people do in this kind of uncomfortable situation.

WetheNorthWetheNorthabout 1 year ago

Nicely done

Not too much drama

Just the facts (Ma-am)

mikaelTmikaelTabout 1 year ago

Loved it - very refreshing and original. Thanks for the entertainment

RanDog025RanDog025about 1 year ago

I thought it was a very good story. I'll give you 5 BIG ASS FUCKING HUGE FLAMING NOVA STARS to off set the cry babies low scores. I was an editor for 26 years and I may be getting old but there is a reason I follow Just Words! Thanks man for another great one!

laptopwriterlaptopwriterabout 1 year ago

I enjoyed this one. Nothing over the top, just a great story. 5 stars.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust_Words@Just_Words
I suppose I write for many of the same reasons that others do. First, I am exorcising my demons. I use writing to explore my thoughts and emotions, sometimes embracing, and perhaps ridding myself of, my darker thoughts and sometimes finding happier themes to celebrate. It s...