Future History

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Heading back west?"

"Yep."

"How long did it take you to get here?"

"What? Are you writing a book?" Carol asked squinting at Miller.

"No. No, just trying to make conversation," replied Miller.

"You'll have to forgive Miller, Carol, he's an inquisitive kind of guy."

"I see."

"Hey Cedric, how many did you get this time?" asked Millar.

"Ten," replied Cedric.

Miller sat there. You could tell he had a question but didn't want to look foolish.

"Go ahead, ask," said Cedric.

"What happens now? Do you go out and get two and come back or do you just start at one again?"

Cedric laughed at his questions. Carol looked at them both like they were crazy.

"I'll start at one," replied Cedric.

"That's what I thought. Good luck. I have to go change my pants," said Millar getting up and leaving.

"What was that all about?" asked Carol.

"I have this thing about the number thirteen. I only kill twelve at a time, then come back here for resupply. When I go back out, I start at one again."

"And you don't keep track of how many total, because of the number thirteen?"

"You got it. Oh, there go your people..."

"No, I'm not going with. They won't be back for four days. You guys are a long way, with all the hills and dales from where they are taking Major House."

"And what's there that could interest us?" asked Cedric.

"How about a division of armor?"

"What?"

"A division of tanks, with enough ammo and provisions for a one-year campaign against the Chicoms."

"Holy shit!" croaked Cedric.

"And it's all underground so the Chicoms can't see it or the way to get in. I almost fainted when I saw the inside of the one in western Virginia."

"Holy shit!" croaked Cedric again.

"I'm sure if you hurry, you can catch up with them," said Carol pointing to the way that Major House and the rest had headed off into the woods.

"No, that's okay. I'll see it when we move there."

"Oh, crap. I forgot to mention that all you guys are to stay in camp until Major House returns."

"Okay. I'll let everyone know."

"Miller won't be wandering off will he?"

"No, he stays in camp, he's one of the men that keeps us safe while we rest and eat."

"He doesn't give himself enough credit then."

"No, he doesn't."

Carol dropped her head, closing her eyes. She just listened to her surroundings. The crackling of the fire. The whispers of those around the camp.

"Cedric, Chicoms just turned to follow Colonel Johnson's group. You got a radio?"

Cedric pulled a radio from his coat pocket and handed it to Carol. She looked at it and turning it on she switched it to the channel that the Colonel was using.

"Scout One to Rover command. Chicoms following your trail."

"Rover command, roger."

A few minutes later, they all heard gunfire off in the distance toward the group going to the underground armory.

"How?" asked Cedric.

"I don't know. I just hear things. Things close and things far away."

"Holy shit."

"I only missed hearing one person since I started doing this scout sniper thing. And she was just a child. Snuck up on me, sat down, and asked me not to shoot her friends, just like I did with you. She was... marvelous."

"Holy shit."

Cedric just looked at Carol, as he spooned stew into his mouth.

Chapter 38

The next morning Carol headed back to her group. Cedric was just sitting where he slept, listening. After a while, he shrugged his shoulders, opened his eyes, stood up, and walked to the fire. He smiled to himself and sat getting some breakfast.

"What's the smile about Cedric?" asked Miller.

"Nothing really. Just surprised at what Carol did yesterday."

"Oh, yeah. Uncanny, wasn't it?"

"It was. It surely was. I wish I had a partner like that," said Cedric.

"I've heard that Jane can do that," replied Miller.

"What?"

"Jane. That tiny little thing that sculks around here never saying a word yet comes and goes like a ghost."

"Yes, I know who she is. Who told you that?"

"Sam mentioned it a while back as she was slipping in to get some food, then she was gone like a ghost in the night."

"Does she carry a radio?"

"When she sticks around long enough to get it charged up. Why?"

"What's her call sign?"

"Baker119, why?"

"I need to talk to her," said Cedric getting up and hurrying away.

"Hey, you can't leave camp," shouted Miller.

~ ~ ~ ~

Sam House and his men were back in camp four days later without the four from Kentucky. They all sat down around the fire and got something to eat. Sam looked around. He was surprised to find almost everyone in camp. He was sure that most if not all of them would be gone. Even Jane was there, sitting next to Cedric. All of them were looking at him as he looked back at them.

"Well?" said Jane.

Sam was surprised. She had talked to him before but only when they were alone. He nodded to her as he swallowed his stew.

"It's true, row upon row of tanks," whispered Sam.

It seemed everyone was holding their breath and gasped at the same time. Sam sat there chuckling.

"We pack up and move out tomorrow. It will take us four days. We'll need you, scout snipers, out front and as overwatch where you can. I've got maps with the route and where the place is. See me sometime today. Spend the rest of the day getting your things together. Oh, and by the way, it's now Colonel House."

Everyone around the fire held up a thumb as a way of congratulating him. Soon everyone around the fire had left to gather their things. The only ones still there were Cedric and Jane. Neither of them had very much in the way of possessions, so they were ready to go. They both even had twice the ammo that they usually carried. Sam wondered, hopefully not showing it, how Cedric would handle more than twelve kills. It could happen on this route.

"Cedric, you and Jan go draw an M-4 out of stores, you may need it out there on point in the forest. Get two days' ammo allotment also," said Dan.

"Will, do, sir," said Cedric as both he and Jane got up to go get their extra rifles and ammo.

Nodding, Dan stood and went to his tent to pack up his things and the tent. Miller was already there packing up for him.

"Miller, you didn't have to..."

"Yes, sir," replied Miller still working.

Dan nodded and got busy packing what little personal belongings he had. Most of what was in the tent was administrative stuff for the men he commanded. He stood there, thinking about all the people that he would now be responsible for as a Colonel. He shivered and went back to work.

The next morning they were on the move. Jane and Cedric were out front leading the way while Billings and Kendal were walking the ridge above them, watching, waiting.

Chapter 39

Eastern North Carolina Free Militia

Jessop, Levin, Earl, and Gingridge were skulking through the dense forest while they kept an eye on a group farther down the valley. It was getting dark and the four-man squad wondered if the group they were following would be stopping for the night or continuing on. When Jessop raise his hand, they all stopped, taking a knee. All four of them were Marines before the invasion until their unit had been disbanded and they were told by their commander to fight back as best they could. They had destroyed their big equipment and every man in the company and loaded up with what they could carry or drag. They had all disappeared into the semitropical forest around their original base camp.

The four people below them in the valley had stopped and set up camp. A cold camp from the looks of it. Jessop and the rest were spread out along the ridge to watch them for the night. For the rest of the night, there was no movement in the camp below. When the sun started to rise a cough came from behind Jessop, scared the shit out of him.

"Unit Marine?" the order was barked.

As each man rolled over, they found an individual sitting quietly behind them. They all gasped in surprise.

"401st Recon Division..."

"Good enough, Marine. Rank?"

"Staff Sergeant? You?"

"Gunnery Sergeant," said the man behind him. "Now a Colonel in the Western Kentucky Free Militia. You?"

"Still a Staff Sergeant, sir! I don't think there have been any promotions since the Chicoms invaded."

"Well, that's about to change Marine. We have news for your command group. Let's go down and get our equipment and you can take us to your camp."

Everyone stood up, the four Marines were surprised that two of the four were women. Very competent looking women.

"Not until I know who you are and can verify that up the chain of command, sir."

"Tell, your commanding officer that Gunny John Johnson says hi and to get his fat butt out of that chair," said John laughing.

The other three Marines stood there laughing.

"Names?" asked John.

"Carl Jessop, sir," said Jessop.

"Mike Levin, Sergeant, sir," said Levin.

"Richard Earl, Corporal, sir," said Earl.

"Jennifer Gingridge, sir," said Gingridge.

John stepped up, looking into the eyes of Jennifer. She smiled at him. He nodded.

"How's your father Lance?" said John softly.

"He's good, sir." Jennifer appeared to have something else to say.

"Your mom?" asked John.

Jennifer closed her eyes and shook her head. She had promised herself she wouldn't cry anymore when asked about her mom. Then she found herself in the arms of a friend. John was hugging her, hard. She hugged him back. John looked over his shoulder at Michelle. She nodded stepping forward.

"Marines, my name is Michelle Johnson, MD, Captain in the Kentucky Free Militia and the Illinois Free Militia. The woman next to me is Susan Bajek, MD, Captain in the... the same as me. The fourth in our party is Kendal Biscup, we found him wandering out in the woods trying to carry too much, alone. He has proven himself to us over and over again."

By the time she had finished, John and Jennifer were just standing whispering to each other. They both looked around when the silence descended upon the woods.

"Oh..." said John shaking his head.

"Carl, I vouch for these people. I know Colonel Johnson personally," said Jennifer.

Chapter 40

"Well, then, I'm very glad to meet you all. Any friend of Jenny's is a friend of ours," said Jessop. "Now what?"

"We need to see General Thomas, Carl. We have some news for him and a surprise for you all."

"What kind of surprise, sir?" asked Carl.

"How about a division of tanks and enough ammo and food for two divisions of infantry, to wipe the Chicoms from our country, for two years if needed?" said John.

"Um... that sounds great but we have been all over the eastern half of this state. I haven't seen anything like that in these mountains and forests."

"Well, that's because they are underground, Staff Sergeant. Don't worry, you'll see when we take you and some of your men to where it is."

"We better get your stuff and hustle ourselves to camp," said Carl.

"I guess we better," replied John nodding at Kendal.

Kendal led off with Levin with him. They picked up their stuff, and Levin took the lead with Kendal.

"What branch?" asked Levin.

"Air Force," replied Kendal.

"Rank?"

"Don't tell the others, please?"

"Promise."

"Lt."

"Uh..."

"We'll talk later, there is someone up ahead of us," said Kendal taking a knee and raising his hand in a fist.

He watched intently as the group of figures came into view. It was a squad of Chicoms. Kendal spread his fingers out, dropping his arm slowly. He started to back slowly to his right, dragging Levin with him. They both melted into the brush but not all that far away. They watched as the Chicoms walked along without a care in the world. Automatic weapons fire broke out to Levin and Kendal's left.

"Shit," said Kendal standing and firing at the Chicom.

Kendal only got four rounds off. Michelle had smoked the rest. Levin was beside Kendal.

"Why?" he asked softly.

"I'll explain later."

"Okay let's get out of here," the Colonel's voice came from their radio.

Levin and Kendal headed out past the dead Chicoms. Once far enough away from where the firefight, if you could call it that, took place, Levin looked at Kendal.

"Okay, okay. It's no secret. Doctor Johnson had her entire family wiped out by the Chicoms at the beginning of the invasion. She just does things when she sees them. Most of the time she is quiet and reserved, then if the odds are good, she will smoke the bastards before anyone else. Even at the risk of her own life. This is the second time she has done this since I joined them."

"Jesus," whispered Levin.

Kendal looked at him. He just smiled as they walked on.

"I thought she was married to Colonel Johnson?" asked Levin.

"She is, now. She was married before with a child. The Chicoms killed both of them and raped the little girl to death."

"Oh." That was all Levin could say.

Chapter 41

The group entered the camp to the surprise of everyone there. As they walked toward the General's tent the noise in camp rose such that the General was out of his tent waiting for them.

"Well, as I live and breath. Gunny Johnson, so good to see you are alive and well, only it's Colonel now if I'm reading your rank insignia correctly?" said General Thomas.

"It is General and it's good to see you also. Still have that chair of yours?" asked John.

A chuckle ran through the ranks that now surrounded them. Even the General was chuckling.

"I do. What brings you to these parts Gunny and who are these people with you?"

"Good news, no the war isn't over. If you and I might go inside your tent, sir?" asked John.

"Well, first introduce you, people, to me."

"Of course sir. First let me introduce you to Captain Michelle Johnson, MD. Then there is Captain Susan Bajek, MD. Then Lieutenant Kendal Biscup, USAF, but we don't hold that against him."

Kendal gasped. Michelle just nudged him in the ribs.

"Doctor Johnson, do I presume to ask if you're our gunny's sister?"

"No, General, I'm his wife, sir," replied Michelle with a smile.

"I see. Gunny we will have to have a long talk."

"No time sir. Tent please."

Nodding, General Thomas turned and entered his tent sitting behind his makeshift desk. John sat in the only other chair there.

"Well, sir," started John pulling a sheaf of papers out of his backpack.

"No need to be formal in her John."

"Right. Okay, this is a map of Virginia; this blue dot is a base, unlike any other base you have ever seen. Where are we on the map now?" asked John.

"Well, let me have a look at that. I can't read upside down like some people can. Um... right here. It looks like that base is almost right in our laps. What is that about ten miles?"

"Yep, ten miles. A couple of hours from here."

The General was still looking at the map in front of him.

"And here's my former camp. I seem to remember some construction going on in that area. They said it was a pipeline yet never saw any evidence of that."

"Well, would you like to go look at it, Tim?" asked John.

"Sure would. Something that close, that could change the outcome of the war, damn straight I want to see it. When can we leave? I'll have a platoon ready to move out in ten minutes."

"Get them started," said John.

"Jessop!" the General bellowed. "You've seen one of these before haven't you?"

"Yes."

"Well?"

"I want to surprise you."

"Who's your commanding officer?" asked Tim softly.

Just then Jessop entered standing at attention snapping a perfect salute.

"Ah, Jessop, get a platoon ready to move out in ten."

"Yes, sir." And Jessop was gone.

"You have a platoon in camp?" asked John.

"Yes."

"To answer your other question. Edward Mack, General Edward Mack. Two stars, sir."

"Well, good for him. And when did you make Colonel?"

"Shortly, after finding the first of what I will be showing you today. I also have some papers here authorizing you to start promoting some of your people..."

"They don't care about rank. They just want the Chicoms gone," said Tim.

"I understand sir, yet wouldn't some of them be even more motivated if they have the rank in which they now serve us?"

"I suppose they might. Okay give me the papers," said Tim standing and starting to put on his combat gear. When he finished they exited the tent to find a platoon of Marines ready to go, along with John's three people.

Tim stopped when he stood in front of Susan, who was at attention.

"Were you ever in the military?" asked Tim.

"No. My father was."

"Really? Marines?"

"No, Army, sir."

"Name? Rank?"

"Colonel Thomas Teller, now General Teller, sir."

"Teller, Teller, big guy, not fat, just big? Muscles on muscles?"

"That him sir. Last Command was Fort Campbell, Kentucky."

"What's he doing in Illinois?"

"Fighting the Chicom, sir."

"Of course. Sorry."

Susan stood mute. Tim just stood there looking at her. She was a fine looking soldier. Nodding, he stepped back one pace.

"Very well, are you ready to go, Captain?"

"Yes, sir," said Susan.

"Leadoff Colonel," said Tim.

Chapter 42

John led the group signaling the men out front, which way they should go. The scouts seeming by intuition scouted ahead of them along the route they were taking. They were good. Really good. John didn't have to radio them once. Kendal and Levin were out front, with two scout snipers in front of them and one on either side of the path. It was about an hour to the minute when the Colonel called a halt.

"Kendal, Levin, you're there, stop. Signal the scout snipers to pull back and cover us," said John over the radio.

"Affirmative, sir," replied Kendal.

Both men took a knee, back to back. Kendal spotted a scout sniper signaling him that they had received the message. Now they just had to wait for the General and the rest. It wasn't long and Colonel Johnson was standing in front of a slab of rock behind a mass of tall bushes. Kendal heard the rumble that he had heard once before and knew that slab of rock was the entrance to the complex underground.

"Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. And we were thinking that the top of this rock would be a good lookout but it's all barren rock up there, no cover," said General Thomas.

"Wait, you'll love this," said Colonel Johnson marching inside.

It was dark as night inside until the Colonel walked to the side and pressed his hand against the panel there. The General looked at the size of the door in the slab of rock and just shook his head. Until it moved, you wouldn't know there was a door there. When the inside lit up, he gasped. Displayed before him, were row upon row of tanks. He stopped dead in his tracks.

"Ho... it looks like you have helicopters to boot. How many pilots you have?" asked John.

General Thomas was just staring into the cavern before him. His men had moved around him. They slowly and reverently, headed into the base.

"Enough," said Tim. "Holy shit!" he yelled.

Tim finally started to walk into the base. The door closing behind him didn't even phase him as he walked to the very first tank in the very first row and caressed its hard metal side.

"When?" he shouted looking at John.

"Uh... about six years ago. It seems someone in the right place and at the right time finagled some money out of a little used budget and began the project all on his own. Down south we have two per state. Up north, some states have two, others only one as they weren't finished in time. Texas has three. One of theirs is an underground air base with 3 air wings. There are airbases in Kansas, Colorado, and Georgia. The planes are old compared to what we had at the beginning of the war, yet will probably beat anything the Chicoms can get into the air now. Follow me, I'll show you your command center," said John smiling widely at the look on his friend's face.