Future Imperfect Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Agreed. That one is." Taking the other phone out of his pocket, he waved it in front of his ex-PA and friend. "This one, however, is not."

The lift dinging, Steven kindly allowed security and Stephanie in before him, a perfect gentleman, one of the guards instinctively pressing 'G'.

"Also," he announced as the doors began to close, "I'm taking the stairs." To his relief, no one was quick enough to stop the elevator, and he headed for the stair block, making it down two floors before they caught up to him.

"Very funny Steven." Stephanie snorted angrily.

Shrugging, Steven continued on his way. "Couldn't have the lift 'magically' breaking down now could I?"

Her face red, her body shaking, Stephanie knew she had no options other than go for the guilt-trip.

"I can't believe you'd do this Steven. I was your friend, and you're throwing it all away."

Reaching the main atrium of the building, the glass doors revealed the waiting throng of press outside.

"Bullshit." Steven stood still, in full view of the media. "You pretended to be my goddamn friend when you were using me for political purposes. You could have spoken to me, we could have discussed it from the very fucking start. Instead, you used me, or at least," he laughed, "you tried to. You fucked up. And by the way, you sleeping with Lois doesn't bother me. She's a free woman, able to make her own decisions, and she's fit as fuck. Who wouldn't want to bang that?"

Leaving Stephanie gawping, Steven exited the building, the two security guards stood limply next to her.

The moment he stepped outside, cameras began flashing and reporters began throwing questions his way.

"Thank you for coming," he spoke clearly, "even on a day as changeable as this, and please, leave any questions to the end. It is my sad duty to inform you that I have tendered my resignation. This is in response to the Government's insistence that I, against the international charter, become a political spokesperson for Aotearoa, despite the duty and agreement of all men to remain apolitical, instead focusing on preventing the extinction of humanity." He paused, making sure he had this just right. "Since the pandemic, women have proven that they don't need men to help make their decisions for them, and I strongly believe that my presence is having a negative impact. I have loved my two years here, and have met so many wonderful people. The beauty of the country, both of its scenery and its women, is some of the most stunning I have ever seen." This elicited a chuckle and coincided with a black car with tinted windows pulling up behind everyone. "It will be a joint decision between the men's council and the government of Aotoroea if another man takes my place, but it must be a decision made in the best interests of both yourselves and the gentleman in question. I thank you for your time, and I will answer three questions." He scoured the crowd. "Aroha?"

Jumping at the chance, Aroha thrust her microphone forward.

"With the collapse of the government this morning, we're all asking, are these two events linked?"

"Good question," Steven nodded, "yes. Absolutely. I find it completely distasteful that the rich and powerful had a shortcut to having children, whereas I much preferred meeting wonderful, normal people like yourself, Aroha. Nor would I find it appropriate to focus on just a singular ethnic group from this great nation. Next question. You in the green jeans, love the jacket by the way."

"Thank you," the reporter replied unfazed, "Do you feel that your leaving now will further destabilise the country, and by staying you might help the country return to 'normality' sooner?"

"I trust that Kiwis can make better decisions for Aotoroea than I can. I'm afraid I have made my decision and will not be reconsidering. Okay, last question, the lady holding a baby, first of all, is it one of mine?"

The group laughed at that, and the poor mother blushed and shook her head, turning the baby to reveal it's dark complexion, while the mother was as white as Steven. "Can't win them all," he grinned, "now, what was your question?"

"Do you feel that Aotoroea may be better off without a man here completely?"

"Absolutely not." Steven answered automatically. "Before I got here, there were already twelve male babies, and by last count there's another four hundred since I arrived. Not all mine I'd like to say, even I haven't been that busy."

Noticing a woman getting out of the black car, Steven wrapped things up.

"Thank you for your questions, New Zealand, Aotoroea, it's been a pleasure." With that, he walked to the car and got in, the door closed for him. In the seat across from him was Kelsy.

"That was good timing." He remarked politely to a woman he'd only met once before. Fairly non-descript, Kelsy could be best described as average. Height, weight, hair colour, facial features, if she were sat in a restaurant, no one would be able to remember her, never mind identify her.

"I've been in the country for a few days," the women shrugged absent-mindedly, "we heard rumours your impartiality was going to be tested, so better we were ready when the shit hit the fan then get caught up in the shower."

"Well," Steven leant back on the leather chair, "I'm just pleased your here, I didn't want to make the situation any worse for the men's council then I needed to."

"They'll fall back in line easily enough," Kelsy was distracted, checking a phone constantly, "it might take time for them to realise they've fucked up, next election perhaps, but the next man we send will be well instructed."

"So, what now?" Steven asked. "For the last two years my life's been all about shagging, so where am I headed next?"

"Two ticks," Kelsy's accent was bland, but Steven couldn't help think she might be British, "right, flights are booked for four hours, going from Christchurch."

"Where to?" Steven asked.

"Take your pick." Picking up a small envelope next to her, she passed it to Steven, who begun rifling through the contents. "These are all countries with either no men or very few men. We're not expecting any of them to be difficult, but after this, we thought you made want something peaceful."

"Okay." Steven shuffled through the seven sheets, each one containing information about the country. "No chance of Canada or the Philippine's then?" He asked sadly.

"Canada's still poorly populated, and too close to America for comfort. The Philippine's already has too many men for its population size, very popular for some reason."

A thought struck Steven. "What about South Africa?"

"Not in it," Kelsy shook her head, "but possibly nearby."

Going through the list, Steven was amazed to see Chile on there, alongside Sudan (North and South), Madagascar, Egypt, North Korea...

"North Korea!" He spluttered. "Seriously?"

"Oh yes," Kelsy nodded, "they're very keen to get back into the game, they've even started de-militarising."

"Wow," Steven nodded thoughtfully, "so it turns out men were the problem after all."

Looking at him thoughtfully, she coughed before he turned over the last card.

"The last one, number seven, is not like the others. It would be hard work and a bit of a rebuilding job, but the way you've handled yourself and just got on with the job has impressed many." Watching Steven's face go pale as he read the choice, Kelsy hurried to reassure him. "There's no pressure to choose it. It's a difficult situation, and no one's forcing you into it."

Going through the list, Steven struggled to choose for the duration of the journey. He'd immediately discounted most options, leaving only two quite differing choices available.

"I'm going to have to push you," Kelsy said, "I need to get clearance for the flight."

With one last thought, he thrust a sheet at her. "This one."

Studying it, Kelsy raised an eyebrow. "You sure?"

Shrugging, Steven stretched back in the chair. "Yeah, why not? It'll be nice to have a change."

With that, their journey continued, and Steven, although unsettled by the events, moved on to the next part of his life with anticipation

(I would like to everyone who's supported Future Imperfect by reading, giving it a 5 rating and commenting or messaging, most of which were lovely.

If I decide to continue Future Imperfect it will still contain Steven, but, as the story 'hints', will take place elsewhere. I say if, because apart from an outline, I have nothing else yet written, but even if Steven doesn't come back, I hope you keep reading!)

12