Gabatrix: The Terrorists of Batrice

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The table displayed a Martian news lady on the screen. The recorded past days broadcast showed that of the anchorwoman named Chenguang of the UWA Martian Central News. She was a familiar face for the media of the UWA. Of course, with Mizu, she was nothing all that appealing. She would be sitting by her desk as she would tell the topics of the day. Any significant events were live broadcasted, including the events that happened over Cipra, the attempted takeover of Mars by Minerva, Oshun, the peace treaty signing with the UWA and T'rintar clan alliance, and more. The table's projection showed enough of the background of the media recording. The overhead lighting from Fort Batrice's lights made it a little bit hard to see, but it was enough that Mizu could read the Chinese subtitles that turned on, and the familiar tickertape rolled on the bottom. Chenguang also seemed to change her hairstyles regularly and often as possible. It almost seemed like a joke where she would come in one day with her hair tied up into a bun and dye it red. Then the next day, she would have it flowing freely and dyed blue. Today she was dressed in red and blue and had yellow dyed hair.

"Hello everyone, and welcome to the UWA Martian Central News," the anchorwoman said in her familiar Chinese accent. "Your center for all news throughout the UWA. Now with the news."

The screen began to depict a picture of the New Olympian flag. It had the familiar colored pinwheel with the black paw print on one side, and diamond branch leaves on the other. The camera panned a little bit to show a silhouette of a stroller.

"We begin with today's topic on adoption," Chenguang explained. "New Olympia has announced a new set of rules today on the policies of adoption in accordance with UWA regulations. As many of you know, New Olympia holds the highest rates of adoptions in the UWA. After the recent court hearing of Amelia Yuki vs. Quincy one week ago, the New Olympian council has agreed to allow children under the age of ten to be returned to the former parents that gave their children up for adoption, to begin with. Controversy over families giving their children up for adoption and having to reclaim them years later has never been higher. Families that adopt children have voiced their opinions that once the family gives up their child, they should not have the right to reclaim the child and take it away from the adopting family that has spent years raising the child. Chairwoman of the UWA Jia Xe Lee commented that 'As we stand on the issues of adoption, we must respect the rights of the original parents unless those set parents are unable to physically or mentally, provide the necessities of the children to be raised as any other child in the United Worlds' Alliance.'"

"Ugh....boring," Mizu replied as he looked at Hamiza. She was busy drinking her chocolate milkshake as he was eating his French fries. There wasn't much left on his plate. He just wanted to make sure that Hamiza was at least in good spirits.

The picture on the background display for the anchorwoman changed over to show a flag of Mars. The familiar all-red background, white wrapped sphere, and the white four-pointed star was a common sight of Mars' glory over the UWA. It was a sight that often disgusted a few people of Batrice, including Mizu. There was a brief silhouette of a Martian battleship. It was a unique one, however. However, this one was larger than the typical battleship, but the black logo made it challenging to tell what it was.

"On other news," Chenguang continued. "Mars is near completion of the UHN Pyotr Alekseevich. These brand new Czar class Battleships are intended to outperform the original Magellan and Nelson Class Battleships that have been holding the line in protecting UWA controlled space since the beginning of the Itrean conflict. Fleet Admiral Anaya has commented that 'These new warships are just the tip of the spear in providing a new wave of powerful warships that can adequately protect our freedom and democracy from the ongoing threat of the Aksren and Shal'rein clans.' At least two more of these powerful battleships are expected to be fully commissioned by the end of the year, with the Deimos shipyards currently finishing up the final construction of the last line of older designs to join up with the growing fleet."

"Of course, do they bother to mention Batrice and Gillan in all their efforts to build new warships?" Mizu asked with annoyance to Hamiza. "No, of course not. Our shit is way more powerful than what they got."

"Yeah, we managed to get the Cancrinite completed with more like it being built," Hamiza replied.

Mizu finished up the French fries as Hamiza was drinking up the last of her milkshake. She paused a little bit as she continued to watch more of the news broadcast. The background behind Chenguang changed to show the flag of Batrice. The familiar red and blue rectangle with the green temple of Angkor Wat painted in the center was an all too common sight in the colony.

"In other news today, Prime Minister Heng Chanvatey has announced further opposition with the alliance of the T'rintar clan. He has issued demands on the cease of all mineral shipments to the clan from all companies operated in Batrice and Gillan. While the Prime Minister of Gillan, Jack Lucas, has promised to continue with the shipments, he has also voiced his opposition to the allied Itrean clan's mineral shipments. We hold a recording that Jack Lucas made."

The film footage switched over to depict a man with a deep pale complexion to him. He was an older bald, clean-shaven, and skinny individual dressed in a familiar blue and light blue suit. The gray and black background was from his home somewhere on the Gillan shipyards.

"We, the people of Gillan, promise that we will continue to have our shipments sent to the T'rintar clan," Lucas said in a New Zealand accent. We express the fact that under the T'rintar/UWA alliance, Batrice and Gillan have not had a proper representation with these talks. The mineral resources rob us of the income that can be used to increase our defenses even further here in the Trappist system. We request for further talks to have it reduced."

"It should be eliminated altogether," Mizu remarked. The recording of Jack Jucas ended as it switched back to Chenguang. He could tell that there was more to be said.

"Heng Chanvatey is encouraging that shipments from Batrice are to be ceased by the end of the month," Chenguang explained. "According to parliament, the backing to have shipments completely removed by the end of the month is endorsed by at least two-thirds majority of the seat members. According to UWA Chairwoman Lee, she stated that 'The shipments to the T'rintar clan are vital for the alliance. Any attempt to stop this represents a sad attempt to derail the hopes of preventing further attacks by the Aksren and Shal'rein clans.' Ambassador Kane of the UWA and Ambassador Ifra of the T'rintar clan is expected to make another trip to Batrice in hopes of negotiating peaceful resolutions tomorrow with the people of Batrice and Gillan."

"Sounds like Gillan is losing its backbone," Mizu replied as he tapped the projector to turn off on the table.

"It's the same stupid rhetoric," Hamiza said. "Politicians are politicians. At least Chanvatey is doing something about it."

"I agree," Mizu said as they stood up. He had crumpled up the paper plate as he and Hamiza took their trash and properly disposed of it. "Seeing the politicians in the UWA is like watching a drill go into someone's brain. No wonder we were losing the war."

"At least we are a part of the force to make it better," Hamiza remarked. "Cebravis can't take care of themselves, and they complain that they can't get any help. No wonder we allied with the T'rintar clan. At least Oshun tried to fight back and win when the Shal'rein attacked them. Now it's up to Batrice, Gillan, and Mars to play babysitter."

"Right. For Batrice!" Mizu said with a cheer.

Hamiza went and nodded her head. "Well.....in that case. I will go ahead and leave. I know that we have a busy day tomorrow."

"Of course," Mizu said with a nod.

Hamiza was just about to walk, but she stopped. "Mizu.....I never had to chance to say this but thank you. I know that things haven't been easy since your brother died. I really wish that I had a chance to meet him."

Mizu looked down as his tone got severe. "Yeah.....Chuang did more in one day than we ever did in months. He will not be forgotten."

Hamiza nodded again. "I will see you tomorrow. Take care."

"You too."

With that, Hamiza turned around and walked off. For a brief moment, he looked at her and could see that more toned down but an aggressive attitude of hers that was forged from being a pilot. He didn't think any more about it as he turned around and proceeded to his barracks room.

*******

It had been five minutes later as Mizu walked up to his barrack's room door. He stepped inside as it closed behind him. The room was typically designed for two individuals. He was thankful that he had the room to himself as the door slid open. He was the only person assigned to the place. He stepped in as the door slid closed behind him.

The room itself was not a large place, though. It had two nice beds and two tables. One large cabinet had to be shared between both individuals, but he didn't have to worry about it. There were a small restroom and shower stall. It even had its own wall-mounted display to watch all the shows from the UWAN. The only catch, of course, was that any shows outside of Fort Batrice's computer library had to be ordered and needed a day to process. There was a nice window where he could look out and onto the city of New Sydney from the third floor. At times he would forget that he was actually in a giant slow-spinning drum. The luxuries of space were that he didn't have to work out that much since his body was receiving the proper amount of gravity and force that was being exerted down on him. In the end, he was getting physically stronger every time he worked out.

"Ugh.....I wish you were here with me on this, brother," Mizu remarked as he tapped a small coin-sized photo projector on one of the tables. It showed a final picture of him and his brother standing by the capital together. Their fists were held up high in celebration.

"A fellow marine like you could easily take up the job that I have to do tomorrow.....hell," he said. "You would have fixed this place up before anyone would cry out that the power was out."

He tapped the projector to shut it off. The image of his brother faded as he knew that he was alone. It was something that he had to put away a lot when he saw the picture. He pulled out the chair on the table as he began to take off his uniform. The jumpsuit itself was easy to take off. It was simple Velcro as he undid it. He then took his boots off as he placed them on the soft carpet by his bed. After he slid off the uniform, he tossed it on the rack that was by his bed. He stood in a blue shirt and short blue shorts that lay underneath the uniform. He breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that he had finished up with the day.

There was a brief moment as he could overhear the conversation of the people above him on the fourth floor. The walls themselves were well designed to keep any noise pollution was getting through. The catch, of course, was that Mizu's hearing was beyond the standard. The talking sounded almost sensual between a man and a woman.

"Heh.....sounds like somebody is going to get some sweet ass tonight," he remarked. "Too bad it isn't me."

He looked at his left hand as he tapped it. A three-dimensional projection menu was shown from his augmented hand. He used his other hand to access the controls on the wall-mounted display. A small flash of red light indicated that he had received the recorded messages from yesterday.

"I hope they somehow find a way to improve communications at home," he said to himself. "Tired of having to play these day wait replies."

He tapped the button on the recorded messages. He then used his fingers and gripped the box image before tossing it in the wall-mounted display's direction. This sent the downloaded information straight to the wall-mounted display so he could get a better view of what his family had to say to him.

The digital display turned on immediately. The first message that booted up was from his grandfather. The screen showed an older man. Unlike the more mixed look of Mizu, his grandfather had a more distinct Japanese look, at least facially wise. His hair had turned gray, and his skin had shown some faint signs of aging. Regardless, despite his age, his grandfather was still quite handsome. With ever-improving medical technology, people can reach the age of sixty and even look like they were in their thirties unless they were subjected to severe punishment or ailments in their life. He was standing in his brown living room.

"Hello, grandson," his grandfather stated in the recording. His face seemed to show some sadness in his face. "I think you already know of the events that are going on with your grandmother."

"Yeah....." Mizu said to himself.

His grandfather looked down. "I am afraid that your grandmother's condition is terminal. The Batrin Silocosin has run to her lungs. They are going to be trying to give her augmented lungs, but it may be already too late. Your grandmother is going to be giving a last recording to you tomorrow in preparation. She wanted to pass along a gift that will be shipped to you as well. I made it a goal that it is sent to you. I am sorry, Mizu. I know that your grandmother has been proud of both you and Chuang even after he.......he. I hate to see this family continue to shrink in size. At least.....I can honor her wishes, and she knows her time is coming to a close. Take care of yourself, grandson. I love you."

Mizu paused the recording from his hand. The memories of his grandmother were with him. He knew the issue of Batrin Silocosin. It was a deadly lung and stomach condition that struck the people that mined on Batrice. Something in the rocks, despite the excellent safety equipment installed, still found its way into the human respiratory system. While it was not a pandemic situation as better and better methods were found to deal with it, the results could still be the same. His grandmother mined on the planet, and she was a victim of it. Once it hit, the results were usually terminal. Thankfully this was becoming a rarity now, but nonetheless, he knew that his grandmother was most likely not going to live much longer. He had to bear with it, much like the events of his brother.

He tapped his hand again to resume the recording. The following recording was from his mother. She was a little bit vibrant, even if her tone still had some severity to it. It was something that did make him happy to see, though. She had long flowing black hair. The Japanese side of her grandfather traveled to her very well. She had a yellow and black silk dress that she wore as she sat comfortably from her living room.

"Hello, son," his mother said in the recording. "I hope you are doing well. I am sure that your grandfather has informed you of everything that has happened," she stopped as a couple of tears ran down her face. "Ugh....." she tried to keep herself composed. She wanted to wipe them away from her face. "In less than two months, I lose a son, and now my mother is most likely going to go as well." She took a deep breath. "I know that.....in the end, as long as you are alright, then it is all that matters.....Umm....."

"I know, mom....." Mizu quietly said in response.

"I have a favor to ask of you. My sister is going to give you more detail on this, but I know she and her husband wanted to give you a surprise. Promise me that you will do it today.....if you can." She paused as she continued to wipe a tear. "I wish I was with you, son. Father is still at work, but he wanted to give you his best wishes. I.....still think of the day over a year ago. If it weren't for you sacrificing your ear to save your cousin, things....she probably wouldn't have made it. I keep thinking that you are so lonely on that station. I hope there is that special someone that will be there for you. Take care, son. Know that our hearts and kisses go to you."

"You too, mom," Mizu remarked as the recording ended. He was happy to hear from his mother. The next recording was the final one of the day. He was curious as to what this surprise was when it came to his aunt.

The following recorded message was that of a woman that looked similar to his mother. The only differences were the fact that she had her hair tied up rather than flowed downward. She wore a yellow and black silk dress as she stood from her kitchen. She seemed busy cooking something, but the recording could only show so much. He knew it was his aunt Hina.

"It has been a little while, Mizu," Hina said. "I am busy cooking Keiko's favorite dinner of macaroni and cheese with that Cebravin goat cheese. I even got her Cevan."

"Hina and her cooking," Mizu said quietly.

"Well.....despite the events with.....well.....your grandmother......We have some plans put in. I know that Fort Batrice is in need of cooks and more staff. I am going to be getting a job at the station starting next week. The government is promising a good room and board so I can bring my prized cooking. My husband is still currently trying to get employed on the station, but it sounds like your uncle is going to be also working here as well."

Mizu nodded his head. "That is good to hear, at least."

"It might be some delay with everything going on with your grandmother," Hina continued. "I make regular trips to see her all the time. It is......hard, but we knew that her condition was getting worse and worse. I have a request that to be made if you can. I am not asking you to do it right now, but with everything going on......I have to."

"I will try....." Mizu quietly said.

"I know that there are plenty of schools on the space station. I wanted you to take a look at the one closest to you. It should be on Birmingham pathway. It is called Suu Kyi Middle School. I wanted to see how their classrooms were like and just to make sure that they do have the night classes so I can take up the night shifts."

"They should....." Mizu remarked. He sighed. "Ugh.....that means that I have to get up again. Not going to have the time tomorrow or this week."

"I.....know that it means asking you to do something for the family," Hina continued to explain. "You must have a pretty busy schedule in the military. If you can't do it, I understand, but I would appreciate it if you can. Take care and.....thank you, nephew."

With that, the recorded messages came to a close. The screen went dark as he closed his hand. He would have to send out his messages to the family, but he knew that he would have to check out the school closest to him. He looked at his civilian attire but decided that it would be best to put on his military uniform again. This would be a simple walk and wouldn't be that far from him. He slapped his knees in frustration but knew that it was best to do it now rather than wait later. Hina was correct. His schedule was going to get so busy that he wasn't going to get the chance tomorrow. Better to do it now than wait later.

He began to put on his uniform. He already knew where the school was located. It would be a ten-minute walk to get there.

*******

In less than fifteen minutes, Mizu walked into the school doors. Much as he expected it to be, the schools had shifts for teachers, instructors, and staff. Fort Batrice was a military installation. It had to be operational every hour, every day, and continue nonstop. While there was a timescale, there were regular shifts even if it was supposed to be "near nighttime." The exact amount of personnel worked no matter what time it was. The same went with the schools. These places served as not a place to babysit children as the parents worked but provided the regular instruction and knowledge of society for the children of Batrice.

1...56789...40