Gabatrix: The Terrorists of Batrice

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

There was a sense of familiarity as he walked down the school hallway. It was in the middle of a class session, and the day shift had already concluded. The school was much smaller than the one that Keiko went to, but the size did remind Mizu of his school days. There was practically no traffic in the hallways. The school itself had a capacity of only four hundred students total and was nothing huge. The hallways were a little tighter but carried the symbolic emblem of Batrice's flag painted on the walls.

Another thing that Mizu noticed was that it was apparently a Batrice and Gillan history appreciation month that was going on in the school. During the month, the classes would emphasize teaching history over the other subjects and bring in knowledge of the ancient days past. All through the walls were displays that showed former Earth and achievements made by individuals and society. Students sometimes hand drew works and had them posted on the walls. While Mizu noticed all of these art pieces, most of them were things that he didn't know. His knowledge of history was more of boredom or lack of interest. There were a couple of moments that seemed to stick with his mind, however.

As he stepped up to one of the walls, he saw a display that said, "Batrice Remembers February 17th" on it. It caused Mizu to stop walking and look upon it closely. He began to think more of that day. It was a famous photograph of the Prime Minister holding his dead daughter as he gave his speech to the crowds of people. A small memorial plaque was now placed at the school to provide remembrance to students who died that day and honor the people who saved the other children from certain death. Even Mizu's name was etched into it. The feeling of the memory caused him to grab his left ear gently. The memories were barely there, but he still remembered the pain that he had.

Among some of the other pictures was that of Gabatrix as he was at the commemoration ceremony. He would stand proud as the first warship with his name on it was being constructed on this picture. Another picture showed the famous Fleet Admiral Samantha Batrice that led the expedition into the Trappist system. She had a pale skin complexion, long blond hair, and supposedly had a family history that came from Australia of former Earth. She stood in her two-star uniform proudly for a professional military photograph. Under the picture were the dates that she lived. It showed "Samantha Batrice. Founder of the colonies of Batrice and Gillan. Born in 2182 and Died in 2295."

Another set of pictures showed the different Prime Ministers of Batrice and Gillan starting from the beginning of the colony's creation to the current Prime Minister. One of the photographs was one that also caught his eye.

"I have seen that flag and icon more and more often," Mizu remarked to himself. "The Batrice First Movement's icon." It was something that served as Batrice's growing movement for more and more autonomy in the UWA. It was only created in the last seven months, and he had just seen it a couple of times. The school was beginning to show this form of iconography to show the different political ideologies that the colony represented.

It was a rectangular flag that showed red and blue, but it was nothing like the Batrice and Gillan flag. The dark blue would flow in a diagonal path from the top left down to the bottom right, essentially taking up the top right portion of it. The red would take up the other side taking up the bottom left side portion of the flag. In the center was that of a green cross. This cross, however, was shaped slightly differently. What could be described as a crutch cross, the endpoints would fatten up so that it looked like four T's pressed to meet in the middle.

Mizu's time was not to think about things too much. He needed to at least see a classroom in action. He needed to be able to tell Mina of the school that she requested. He walked past the area and found the nearest classroom. Much as it was designed back in the capital, these classrooms had similar one-way display walls. He got next to it as he tapped the panel.

The moment that it did, the display lit up and showed the classroom that was going on inside the room. The audio was on low so that he could witness everything. Much as before, history was the main subject for the month. Cultural memorabilia was all over the interior classroom. There were at least seven students in the class with an enthusiastic teacher discussing with the children. She, like the students, was dressed in the familiar and popular yellow and black colors. The only significant difference was that the teacher was wearing a rather pretty dress similar to what his mother wore. He felt a sense of nostalgia for the class that reminded him of the year before. Normally he would close down the window and walk away, but he felt more and more inclined to stay and just listen to the teacher as she provided the instruction of the day.

"Alright, everyone," the teacher said in her friendly voice. "We will be switching over our topic of former Earth's history on the end of French Colonialism of French Indochina to the rise of new nations. As many of you already know, after the end of World War 2, the European nations would slowly lose areas that they controlled. Some European nations would ultimately grant territories of their independence. Not all would gain their freedom so easily, however. With the rise of communism, the fear was that these new nations would fall into the hands of communist control of the Soviet Union. This impacted Europe's role in how it treated territories and other places that they controlled. Yesterday we discussed the role of the Vietnam War and how it impacted the future nations that resided around it. Today we will be discussing one of the most important events in the history of the places that we called French Indochina. We will be getting into the topic that is Cambodia and the rise of the Khmer Rouge."

Mizu folded his arms as he stood listening to the teacher. While his memory of history was not exactly the best, he felt inclined to listen to more of what the teacher was saying.

The teacher had a tablet in her hand as she began to play the music of something long ago. It was a language that Mizu was not familiar with, or probably the teacher didn't know either. It was that of a woman that was singing. What he could see, however, was that of pictures that were being shown on the center projector. It consisted of old black and white photos with a few colored ones. Among one of the images was that of a red flag with a golden temple in the center. In many ways, it looked very similar to the green temple of the Batrice flag. It was none other than the familiar image of the temple of Angkor Wat in which the Batrice and Gillan flag had adopted from. The other photos showed those that were most likely Cambodian that came from the region. Each picture showed people that were smiling or happy. While Mizu was looking at the teacher, he did feel like he remembered much of this history before. Any person from Batrice or Gillan who didn't know this probably lived under a rock or came from the other colonies.

"I am proud to finally get a chance to discuss this history with you, class," the teacher continued to explain. "The Khmer Rouge would come into power in 1975. There the Democratic Kampuchea would be established in 1976. The goals of the Khmer Rouge were to ensure a new and bright future for the nation of Cambodia. While the goals were to install communism into the government, the real goal was to ensure that everyone had the ability to take care of themselves. At the time period, the nation that was the United States had bombed portions of Cambodia during their war with Vietnam. Cambodia and its people were suffering from famine. One of the greatest goals of the Khmer Rouge was to help ensure that everyone had food. It encouraged sweeping reforms where the rich and the poor all returned to the farm fields. The goals were met, and the famine era that hit the nation in the beginning came to a close in 1980. With this success, the Democratic Kampuchea would see its fame rise in the field of internationalism. China and ultimately even the United States would recognize the nation of the Democratic Kampuchea of Cambodia."

The music was turned up more as the subtitles would display the words in English and Chinese. There was happiness in the woman's voice as if she were praising the workers and the success that they brought in providing food for everyone. Mizu was thinking more and more of his brother when they were both in the same classes together.

"In the 1990s, the United Nations formally declared the Democratic Kampuchea of Cambodia as a rising example of postcolonialism success," the teacher continued. "Other nations such as Vietnam and Laos would join this great alliance becoming the new Khmer Alliance of Communist Nations. For the next thirty years, this nation's goals were to ensure that Communism survived as long as possible. The legacy of the Khmer Alliance was that all were treated equally regardless of gender. Even the rich that worked in the farm fields would be happy to help donate and fund the research necessary to encourage better and better technological advancements in Cambodia."

The pictures switched over to depict that of the textile factories of the 1960s. It then switched over to show that of the 1990s. All the equipment that seemed to be absolutely ancient were upgraded to fit the modern equipment of the time period.

"With the Khmer Alliance," she continued to explain. "The people of these nations managed to survive it all. Under the aggressive movements of China's expansionist policies in the 2010s, the Khmer Alliance of Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam all resisted it. The United Nations would welcome the Alliance as a singular cause to maintain its autonomy of the region. Even as the nations would see the great changes of the flooding world, the great Krâvanh Mountains would house its refuges. Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam.....the alliance would help one another. When the day finally arrived that Earth had to be abandoned, the Khmer Alliance government vowed that it would return one day. The people of our government in Batrice give the pledge that the Khmer Rouge will return one day. It serves as the symbol of our flag and what it can eventually become again."

Mizu smiled as he heard those words. He remembered it as precisely as he and his brother's teachers said before when they were children. A sense of colonial pride filled his heart. He would promise to continue to serve in this fashion to the best of his abilities.

"Nah.....I don't see anything wrong with this school," Mizu said to himself. "Keiko will be just fine here on Fort Batrice."

He didn't need to hear anymore. Satisfied with what he saw, he tapped the panel to close it out. He proceeded to leave and return to his barrack's room with a nod and a slight grin. He had recorded messages he needed to make and send back home.

Chapter 3: Another Diplomatic Meeting

It was the next day as both Mizu and Hamiza were stepping aboard the shuttle. Both of them walked in small brown spacesuits equipped with magnetic boots to help keep them anchored to the deck. Inside the great hangar bay of Fort Batrice was a series of vast landing platforms.

The hangar bay of Fort Batrice was enormous. It was shaped like a giant gray box. It had two entryways to get in and out into space. Both entrances were large enough for a freighter to enter it and dock on the side hatches that led into the large passageways that led to the spinning centripetal drums. The bay sat almost in the center of the space station. While there were no freighters currently docked with it, Mizu could see an SK-7 type freighter that was preparing to enter. Since the hangar bay was not in any type of centripetal ring or moving compartment, the entire area lacked gravity. This forced individuals to don the magnetic boots to walk or move around. There were no closed doors, and the whole place was open to space as well. A general requirement was that the hangar facility needed everyone to have some sort of spacesuit to help protect them from the outside environment of space.

The facility also consisted of crane arms that could move freight around. While the bay itself was not exactly the busiest of places, there was still traffic that worked in and out. The bay's size could easily handle five times the regular freight traffic that it was having now but, it was still mostly quiet.

Most of these landing pads consisted of the Mark 12 or Mark 13 shuttles. The cylindrical gray frames were little more than oversized gunships. Their landing gear was magnetically anchored to the deck. They were over twenty-five meters in length and housed three or five mini all-in-ones (AIO) weapon turrets. Each one resided on all but two of the large landing pads to help out with the civilian traffic.

When Mizu approached the shuttle, he knew immediately that it was a Mark 13 because of the additional engine thrusters and removed rear AIO turret. This allowed more room for cargo in the interior while adding other weapons in the craft's forward section. The main entry door was already open as both Mizu and Hamiza stepped inside of it.

"At least we are using the 'Eugine Trinh' today," Hamiza remarked as they walked into the shuttle. "Always prefer the new Mark 13s."

"It never really bothered me which one is better," Mizu replied. He looked around the interior. It consisted of almost two decks. While the shuttle looked like a cylinder, the interior had to ensure that there was an adequate amount of room to carry marines and cargo. There were side-mounted seats where the marines could strap themselves in. There were also numerous compartments where the other items could be stored, not including the basic essential facilities.

"Are we bringing anything to Fort Darwin?" Mizu asked Hamiza.

"We have a crate of broken down Genisen 5TIK Converters that are going to be shipped there," Hamiza said. "Not much else, really. It's more of us having to get parts from the shipyards as usual."

Hamiza was first as she walked through the interior. The magnetic boots would clamp down on the deck as they produced very light taps in sound inside the spacesuits. A ladder system in the interior led up to the higher deck area where the pilothouse was located. She leaped as the magnetic boots disengaged from the deck. This caused her to float towards the top section, where she grabbed a pole extension so she could work her way to the small pilothouse. Mizu followed suit as he did the same thing.

When Mizu grabbed the pole, he could already see Hamiza preparing to sit down on one of the two pilot chairs. The pilot room itself was not that large. Technically, the design mainly was for just one pilot alone. The entire area consisted of multiple displays that showed the camera feeds from outside the shuttle. There were gauges, levers, and other instruments that gave the pilot information on the ship's status and headings. Hamiza was already strapping herself in as she went and began the launch sequence.

"Another two weeks, and you will be fully qualified to fly these shuttles," Hamiza remarked. "Finally, get to say goodbye in training your ass."

"I am sorry. I thought you liked my ass," Mizu replied as he sat down on the chair next to her. He started to strap himself in.

There was a console where Hamiza went and placed her gloved hand on. A series of lights began to flick on as the shuttle doors began to close. With the vacuum of space, there was virtually no sound in the interior until the door snapped shut. Upon the door sealing itself, a secondary seal kicked in. Once that was handled, the ventilation system activated and began to move oxygen into the interior. The air started to pressurize, and the heating systems immediately began to flush in warm air.

"Direct Fusion Drive at 100%," Hamiza said. "In a minute, we can take off our helmets. Feel like you can pilot this guy to the shipyards and back?"

"Sure thing," Mizu replied as he saw the console near the armrest. He placed his gloved hand on it as blue lights illuminated from his augmented hand. It interfaced the controls as he began to process the feed and data to the shuttle's computer system.

Hamiza turned her helmet to look at him as he momentarily closed his eyes.

"You will get used to that," Hamiza commented. "I had the same thing when I would activate the shuttles."

"Hmm?" Mizu asked.

"The hand augmentation to brain interface euphoria. I can see why you prefer the Mark 12s now. The new Mark 13s computer core takes a little bit more time to get used to."

Mizu managed to shake off the feeling as he could feel the controls go through him. He could see the gauges in his mind. His augmented hand's interface system connected into his nervous system momentarily. His brain could see what the ship was seeing.

"Yeah, the Mark 13 is like finding a gold digger of a woman instead of the Mark 12s that are more like bronze diggers," Mizu commented.

"You will get used to it. The Mark 13s really is better than the original. Just like those old Magellan class Battleships, the Mark 12s just don't cut it anymore."

Mizu had complete control of the shuttle as Hamiza removed her hand from the console. She had enough confidence in Mizu's abilities that she no longer felt the need to oversee his work. She even expressed a slight grin on her face as if she was happy that her training had finally started to pay off.

"We don't need our internal suit oxygen anymore," Mizu commented as he used his free hand to tap a series of buttons on his helmet. "Pressurization is complete, and temperatures are nominal."

Hamiza did the same thing as they both disengaged their oxygen systems and opened up their visors. Mizu could feel that the temperatures were slightly cold, but it was quickly warming up to optimal.

"Starting up launch sequence...." Mizu continued. "Hailing Fort Batrice's Hangar Bay Control Tower #1......"

A female voice came through the communications on audio only in the pilot room of the shuttle. It was a light and delicate voice that had a European accent to it.

"Shuttle Eugine Trinh, go ahead," the female voice called out.

"Ready to depart from Fort Batrice's Hangar Bay," Mizu said. "En route to Fort Darwin."

"Roger that Eugine Trinh....." there was a pause in the voice comms. "You are clear for departure. Make sure that your return trip is going to be in less than thirty minutes, or you will have to wait for at least three hours at Fort Darwin."

"Eugine Trinh copies that message."

"Take care, Mizu...." The voice seemed to flirt with him. The words seemed to confuse Hamiza as she looked at Mizu with a confused look on her face.

"You too, Flora," Mizu replied with a smile. "Eugine Trinh, out."

With that, the communications line ceased as Hamiza seemed to be curious as to who this woman was.

"Petty Officer Flora?" Hamiza questioned. "She is the new transfer crew member from Cebravis, right?"

"Yes," Mizu said. "I think Flora might be attracted to me. Can't really blame her too much. How can you say no to this face?"

"Yeah....." Hamiza shook her head. "I would have more trust in your flying skills than your romantic gestures."

"Trust me; I have complete control of my stick controls....." Mizu remarked with a wink. His tone started to get serious as he looked at the display. "Why did she say to be back in less than thirty minutes?"

"Oh, come on. Really?" Hamiza said as she pointed at the screen. "That's why dumbass."

Mizu looked at the camera feed that showed the landing pad that was next to their shuttle. The empty spot had a large, carefully laid-out carpet that led into the small building that would lead to the interior structure of Fort Batrice. Mizu knew the importance of this meeting.

1...678910...40