All Comments on 'Galactic Odyssey Ch. 03'

by farbeyondourstars

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
Dry_opinionDry_opinionover 4 years ago
Plot holes

Better job on the dialogs, But now there are a plot holes.

In ch.1 she 's described as "loose morals, indifference for the law, could be fucked whenever"

In ch 2 Morg refuses a free blowjob and she considers him sweet and will miss him. That's not "Loose morals" anymore. It's a an understanding of good and bad morals with clear preference for characters with good morals.

In ch 3 She is shocked by discovering a bound woman. That's after being a slave herself for however long. Looks like her morals are pretty tight.

Also "indifference for the law" takes a hit - "Listen, Stanley. Whoever she is, you can't keep her like this. She's a free woman, there are rules."

The point is this. At the beginning she was a bad-ass renegade to human rules and norms. Every next chapter she turns more into upstanding and law-abiding citizen.

The writer, of course, has every right to change his characters however he wants.

But as a reader, I feel stripped of explanations for such changes. To a point of seeing almost entirely new main character in every chapter.

farbeyondourstarsfarbeyondourstarsover 4 years agoAuthor
@Dry_opinion

This is a first person narrative, "loose morals" is a self-assessment ;-)

Fair point though, character development may be a bit fast. That's the problem when publishing chapter by chapter with only a rough outline of the plot. You can't go back and fix things as easily. If this was a book, I'd change a few things here and there.

As for her characterization: Her experience on Ildaria has shaken her to the core and she's mad that even when she tries to find an honest job, she's pulled back into something that might jeopardize her freedom (and freedom is per primary drive). She's not a sociopath, she knows right from wrong and even though she doesn't mind breaking the law if she can get away with it, physical violence and cruelty is not her thing. Also, she emphasizes with someone who's experience is similar to her own. That's consistent with how many people work psychologically: they are fine with hurting people if it stays in the abstract (like selling drugs or smuggling weapons in a war zone), but direct contact with their actions is a different thing entirely.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Dry_opinionDry_opinionover 4 years ago
Fair enough

So she doesn't even understand who she is herself. That's a pity. I was expecting a "strong-willed character persevere in spite of hardcore circumstances" kind of story. Turns out to be a story about a weak, ambitionless drifter, whose life consists of being a victim. There is nothing inspiring left for me in the story.

This, of course, is my personal opinion. I am judging the main character based on traits I hate seeing in myself. I hope this will help the author understand one of reader's perspectives.

Based on the scores, a lot of people actually liked the story, so there must be other positive and uplifting perspectives.

A good thing for me to take from this story is the negative example of a character. This has definitely helped me better understand myself and inspired me to be better. For that - Thank you and good luck with the story.

farbeyondourstarsfarbeyondourstarsover 4 years agoAuthor
@Dry_opinion

That is a harsh assessment, sorry to disappoint! You might be better served with actual literature - trashy, unedited sci-fi written for Lit might not be the best choice.

As for this story, I think flawed characters make for a more interesting story. Real people are inconsistent, they react to circumstances, they change and adapt. Characters that are too strong and too resilient tend to get boring real quick.

That's my personal opinion, everyone is entitled to their own :)

ZZchromosomeZZchromosomeover 4 years ago

I thought it was reasonable and in character. She's trying to make her way in an extremely harsh environment toward women and she's willing to do what she has to in order to survive and retain her freedom. It doesn't mean she lacks morals, it just means her morals are of necessity a bit flexible.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userfarbeyondourstars@farbeyondourstars
If you're looking for dystopian science fiction, you've come to the right place. Feel free to send me DMs with feedback and content suggestions or join my Discord server: https://discord.gg/SCRZzMcfhW (with free eBooks of some of my stories!) Not a native speaker, so please f...

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES