All Comments on 'Geek to Farm'

by Mainboy

Sort by:
  • 67 Comments
jetpacksamjetpacksamalmost 3 years ago

Wonderful. 5* Thank you very much.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

More please.

Lector77Lector77almost 3 years ago

Fine story. Looking forward to more of your work.

Thank you.

L77

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Superb work. You got me wailing and contemplating murder of every dog killer at the beginning, lemme tell you that .

Mr_Dx3Mr_Dx3almost 3 years ago

Excellent story...Read through from breakfast till early afternoon....a few small typos but not ones that 'kick you out of the story'... hopefully awaiting a follow up chapter ( or more) to continue

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Love it. More please!

cementhead35cementhead35almost 3 years ago

You are an EXCELLENT writer!!! Great story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Brilliant work. Your characters are so real. Loved it. Looking for more..

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Excellent first story. Keep up the good work and good writing.

Regards

Allan

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

great story, same as my dream, get away from this hellhole shit city life with no meaning and do something of worth

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterover 2 years ago

Delightful! Thank you for a well written and well constructed story!

stewartbstewartbover 2 years ago

In between life's interruptions I spent Sunday reading this story. I glossed over the few errors while the characters and story held my undivided attention. This might have been your 1st for an American reader but I hope not the last.

hornier_bastardhornier_bastardover 2 years ago

I hated it... and then I loved it.

Thank you!

LM20ZNLM20ZNover 2 years ago

Love the story.

On a side note: What is Ausbergers? I googled it and couldnt find anything on the subject. Were you referring to Asperger Syndrome?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very much enjoyed the story. Good work!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Don’t Stop

Looking forward to more stories, even a continuation of this one

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wow! Amazing story and writing.

Like others...would love to read more.

Thank you for sharing your writing on Lit for free.

wapentakewapentakeover 2 years ago

An excellent and very readable story, that was well worth the five stars.

Smiffy69Smiffy69over 2 years ago

Enjoyed it, but I’m still wondering…. Just who was Wallace and how did he come to be an accomplished guitar player and to own the Les Paul?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story,keep them coming

djtdev6ej63djtdev6ej63over 2 years ago

I thank you! I had a shitty week at work and home and then I found your story. I loved it. It made me smile and it made me dab my eyes. Thank you for lifting my spirits up, even if for a short while. God bless!

- J

storycentralstorycentralover 2 years ago

Overall well written, but since you have american characters, the vernacular for a lot of the speech is incorrect. It would have been a good idea to have someone more familiar with the common speech patterns do some revision on the dialogue and some of the descriptions to streamline the thing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

write more; you are good!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I enjoyed the story very much. Thank you!

You mentioned that this was your first story for an American audience, but I think you need to do more for that audience than have some of it occur in Colorado and Michigan! There were words that I (from the U.S.) either didn't recognize, words that I recognized as British English, or cultural traits that I felt just didn't fit. Here are some examples: sub (is that for "subdivision"?; I don't know what you were referring to), wanker (vs. jerk, etc.), centre (vs. center), tearoom at work (vs. coffee room, break room, kitchen, etc.), the politeness of the interactions with the police, cousin's lad (vs. son), arsehole (vs. asshole), sorted (vs. sorted out), burnt down (vs. burned down), learnt (vs. learned), etc. You also never mentioned where he lived, though it was clearly several hours to the East of Boulder, CO. That was particularly frustrating for me, given the British English/cultural usage mentioned above, as I wasn't sure he started out in the U.S., though I doubt that he was driving from England, Australia, South Africa, India, or some other location where British English is common!

I noticed that you usually spelled his name as "Johnathan", though I noted at least once occurrence of "Jonathan". The latter, at least in my experience, is the more common spelling in the U.S. I don't know about elsewhere in the world.

I would have liked to know more about what was behind the neighbor's animus towards him, and also (as another commenter mentioned) more about Wallace. I kept wondering if something might develop between Johnathan and Jenny or Joey, but such was not to be. Johnathan and Melanie's engagement after two weeks certainly pushed the boundaries of believability for me, though I was willing to ignore it, plus I suspect there are some real life examples of such exceptions.

Overall, I thought it a very nice fantasy, both of them finding an instant connection with a special someone. Thanks again, and keep on writing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I really loved the story! The transitions between scenes and times were sometimes very difficult to follow for a bit, and like Ben at the end, sometimes someone waltzes into the story in a jarring fashion. But again, I loved it overall.

LitCritLitCritover 2 years ago

Great story, well written. You seem to have rounded it off, but I'd read another chapter or two. Or another story. More, soon, please?

reader1000reader1000over 2 years ago

Possibly the best thing I have read on here ever. Well-written, strong character development and plot. Strong backstory. Very few errors but the singer is Rod Stewart, not Steward. Unbelievably good for a first story. More please. And thanks for the experience.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with most of the comments to date. I had trouble generating any sympathy for him, in spite of the dog’s death. His response was over the top. His drunken fall and injuries were entirely his fault. His behavior with adversaries is instantly hostile and aggressive, very unpleasant. And to say he was in love after just a few days didn’t ring true, nor did her saying it back. Agree with all the remarks about the non-US language being used in a story set in the US. Nice enough for a first time effort but I’d suggest a beta reader, an editor and writing stories based in your homeland.

SmuttyandfunSmuttyandfunover 2 years ago

Can't wait to read more from you. You have a gift, such a wonderfully crafted story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Loved it.... funny, touching and overall interesting. Perhaps a bit of a busy set of plot lines and maybe a rushed ending....I could easily see several additional pages of story development and maybe a side story about Ben etc, but overall, 5 stars!! Looking forward to more submissions

DINGDONG33DINGDONG33over 2 years ago

Once I started reading I could not stop wasn't sure at first where the story was going but the way it flowed kept my interest and I couldn't wait to see where it was going. The only problem I had was the story came to a happy ending and what more could you ask. Very good writing and is one of my favorites. VERT GOOD

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Just one word: Unforgettable!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

too much what happen to this and that computor virus guitar naughty too many loose ends

teedeedubteedeedubover 2 years ago

Bloody hell, Brits can ruin the English language.😉 Great story, thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Thanks for a great.story.

It kept me interested the whole way.

There's a lot of sub stories you could spin off here as well.

Cheers

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I loved it. Once a character stopped contributing to the story, they were left alone. Even though I want to know who and what Wallace was, he saved the farm without a long hullabaloo about it. I expected Joey and Derek to kick off but once again, would it have contributed to the story? No.

The romance was a little fast but already they had both come to know their feelings for each other before even really meeting. Dream girl meets the man who dreams about her. Why a year long romance?

The lack of seedy erotica was like a fresh breath. A really good story does not need graphic sex. A little exploration of their sexuality may have been interesting though and I would recommend you do that.

I agree the end seems rushed and it left me slightly disappointed. I would not mind seeing another chapter of this but I think you rounded it off pretty well, making another chapter an odd thing. An edited version with the shortcomings seen to in the way the main story was written is something you may do.

Damn! I enjoyed this! After the third re-read it became even better. Keep it up and I hope you have time to become a prolific writer. Without hesitation I place you second to Dreamcloud, possibly the best author this site has ever seen. Bebop3 and the other masters, please do not poison me for this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Loved it. Only bad thing is now I can’t get the song Angel of the Morning out of my head😂

rayironyrayironyover 2 years ago
Rich, well developed ,

covers a lot of figurative ground and emotionally satisfying.

Stamped, approved !

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Ja Boet

Bliksem, it was a good read!!

5+

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Absolutely fabulous story! Beautifully developed and impossible to put down. Thank you

AnotherChapterAnotherChapteralmost 2 years ago

Simply excellent!*****

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great story! Not sure why it is on Literotica as it is too good!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

are you going to finish it?

twinkitwinkialmost 2 years ago

Fantastic.. finished reading it while at work... but I am the BOSS

AlluredAlluredalmost 2 years ago

Great read, can’t wait for more works and all I can write is m, lekker my bru :-)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

"On que he slowed down ...." NO!!

"On queue he slowed down ...." YES!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

WHY did the Cretin decide to murder Justin?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great story! That being said Americans don't talk the way you have us talking in the story. It would be like extra terrestrial aliens trying to blend in! On second thought that might make a good story too. I have read two of the 3 stories and 5 starred both. Maybe stick to what you know. I look forward to reading more of your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Damn! This was a good read. From the very first sentence I was captivated.

I agree that the American attempt was odd but then again, there may have been a good reason why it played out in the US instead of Africa where Mainboy lives. Possibly it would not have fitted....

A brilliant attempt in that sense and one of the best on this site.

SatyrDickSatyrDickover 1 year ago

[07.01.23]

Another excellent story!

11/10!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story! Baie Dankie

vcwriter17bvcwriter17babout 1 year ago

First, as others have noted, this is a fun read. Loved it. That said, it seems like a middle chapter of a longer work, with both loose ends and loose beginnings. The college buddy is mentioned in the end, but not when the school is first discussed earlier in the story. The neighbor sounds like a mental breakdown, but not at the time he killed Justin, only later. The strands could have been woven more tightly.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Lovely, absolutely lovely. A pleasure to read. I cried, I laughed and jumped for joy. Well done!!

AutistAdventurerAutistAdventurerabout 1 year ago

I love "corrections" that are incorrect. Anonymous approx 9 months ago "corrected" que to queue. :D

They meant "on cue" cue being a word, phrase or signal for the next item. I love this category of error - it's nearly as good as frig (female masturbation) being used instead of fridge, quite a common and very funny error on a porn site.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Wow! I nearly missed this one. Out of this world. I read a lot. This ranks with some of the best. On the second time round I REALLY understood what it was about. Wonderful writing with no attempt at fooling the reader into hanging on to get the eventual end. It was obvious from the start and yet I wanted to see how it happened. Superb writing.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

As is obvious from certain comments. The Yanks out there think the whole world is America where people speak and live like Yanks. Not so. Even though Mainboy had to make this story play out in America and obviously had to go to great lengths of research to make it work, some people found reason to have a go at him. So sad when a great story is tarnished by sotty comments.

High five to a brilliant story

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

I came across this and checked it out for a weekend read. The weekend is still a day away and I finished it. Please Mainboy, there are a few places where some expansion will make this a truly spectacular read. Elaborate on the reason why the neighbor killed Justin. The University friend. Wow man, bring this guy in a bit sooner. What became of the band?

I found the ending a bit rushed but then again, why go into pages and pages of blurb to achieve eww. Admittedly, on the second time round I found the university friend just the right figure to sew this story up.

Just, please, if you don't mind, give us some more.

By Christmas I want to read an edited version while watching the waves roll in. PLEASE.

MainboyMainboy6 months agoAuthor

To those who asked for Geek to be edited and expanded. Right now I am working on two stories for Lit and at the same time I am desperately trying to finish a novel. Time is tight.

Anonymous who asked for a Christmas edition, I am really sorry but it won't happen. Not for 2023 at least but I promise to do it as soon as possible.

To all the Anonymous readers out there. Join Lit, follow your authors and you will be the first to know of new reading material.

To everybody out there, have a wonderful Christmas and we will read again in 2024.

Helen1899Helen18996 months ago

I can't criticize a story that is obviously well written and well liked by most. But it just wasn't for me. All the computer stuff was way over my head, I enjoyed the first couple of pages, sadly I gave up in the end.

OvercriticalOvercritical5 months ago

This story was a jumble and had little coherence and was not at all believable. This love at first sight was not at all realistic. The fact that a computer wizard abruptly becomes a farmer and wine producer isn't even slightly believable. The early business about the next door neighbor who kills Justine just dangles there. The super virus makes no sense at all. Jonathan's involvement in the "world threatening" virus was a sort of hit and run distraction. The whole bit with the introduction of strangers to the plot at the end was also confusing. I would sum it up as a confusing story with too many subplots. 2*

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

A great read.

No, that’s wrong

How about a wonder read?

I enjoyed it a great deal.

Hugo999Hugo9994 months ago

Thoroughly enjoyed this story well told

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

As I have stated elsewhere, 'Overcritical' is exactly that!

rbloch66rbloch663 months ago

Well written. Having had European parents, I caught the cultural differences, with regards to speech/writing. Once I got to the 2nd page it became a pleasant read. The differences seemed to fade away, and I was drawn in.

stewartbstewartb3 months ago

Second read ... still a "5" ... just delightful !

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMainboy@Mainboy
I like a good story that is believable and well written. I read a lot and find it very irritating to have to dump a good read because of bad writing. The 'Mainboy' thing has nothing to do with my opinion of myself but rather started as a reference to an erstwhile colleague of...

SIMILAR Stories