Geek to Farm

Story Info
Computer geek seeking a girl and meaningful life.
45.2k words
4.85
50.7k
118
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mainboy
Mainboy
377 Followers

Geek Farm

Author's note. This is my first story written for the American reader. It is rather long and covers a wide swathe of life to tell the hero's tale. Please note, this is not an educational document so accept the pieces of info that is not absolutely in line with the latest computer lingo or does not conform to modern farming practices. It is not an educational piece of written porn either. Readers have to be over the age of 18 and I assume they know what happens when people are in love and end up by themselves.

Chapter 1

I was drumming on the tank of the bike while waiting for the traffic light to go green. Anger still made made me grind my teeth and while wishing for the light to change I also wanted it to just stay red and force me to sit there. At least I would be halfway between two parts of life I wanted no part of just then. One, my neighbor with his almost maniacal dislikes for me and dogs (mine specifically) and, two, the showdown threatening at work.

Why my dogs chose to jump the picket fence the previous night and chew his newly acquired set of garden chairs into almost infinitesimal pieces of useless plastic, only they will know. I am sure they were aware of the almost aggressive dislike we have for each other and maybe they had reasoned that they could add their quarter's value to the developing confrontation between us or maybe they just felt like upping the ante a little. Needless to say, after a night of almost no sleep sitting in front of a computer screen, hammering away at the keyboard to create some logic from an endless jumble of seemingly haphazard code, was not conducive to good neighborliness from my side. Being awakened at just after five in the morning by a thunderous hammering on the front door, accompanied by the screeching voice of said neighboring individual was enough to plunge me into a dark and murderous mood.

It had taken every ounce of self control I possess to prevent myself from ramming my fist down his throat when I opened the door while he was still madly hammering the little gnome's head knocker with enough force to make the door jamb rattle. My eyes smarted. My body ached. My brain was fuzzy.

"What on ear..." I started to ask only to be screamed into stupefied silence.

"Your fucking dogs destroyed my garden set! I have asked you before and I do so again! Get to hell out of here! You are an irritating, disease carrying piece of fermented bat shit that should be kept in safe custody! And your mangy curs as well!"

I had gawked at him. Still trying to kick start my brain and at the same time trying to understand the reason behind this new attack of rabid anger. And before I could even wake my brain he had turned, kicked my own garden table with enough force to crack the top and topple over. He stomped out of my yard, muttering and gesticulating like a constipated druid with hemorrhoids.

Of course, the two reasons for this upheaval sat at the side of the porch with shining innocence on their woolly faces.

I had turned to them. "And?"

All I got was a desperate tail wag from Grody. Being the elder I expected him to prevent Justin from getting into mischief but mostly this seemed to be wishful thinking. Justin just sat there with his lips pulled back into a pathetic imitation of a grin.

"Happy?" I scolded and Grody flung himself at my feet while Justin took a quick run around the small patch of grass in the front of the house before jumping up and trying to lick my face.

"Down!" I yelled and both flattened themselves on the paving.

A piece of green plastic just off the side of the lawn drew my attention and I walked over to it. Justin took one look at the direction I was taking and bolted around the corner of the house. Grody flattened his ears and turned his head away from me. He had that expression of seeing nothing but looking out the limits of his peripheral vision much the same way an old man would look at a feisty young girl while his wife is looking at him.

It was a flat piece of plastic with some serious white rimmed dents in it, obviously caused by canine teeth. I picked it up and turned around to demand an explanation from the two dogs just as the remnants of a table leg came crashing down next to me. I jumped. As much from fright as the desire to get away from another missile that might have been thrown.

Discretion. Allow time to cool jangled nerves and bristling anger. I ducked into my house and listened to a number of objects hitting the roof and others falling in haphazard fashion around my yard.

After a hot shower with a collection of Nazareth's ballads making the house rumble I grabbed a hot coffee and after putting myself around it, I set off to work. Traffic was terrible and with the bad start to the day to add to my mood I was in a foul frame of mind by the time I had to pull up at an intersection because of an out of sync traffic light.

From the corner of my eye something pulled at my attention. It was that type of sense that kicks in when you are being stared at. Intangible but just kind of 'there'. I glanced around and was met by two dark honey colored hazel eyes perched above a smile directed at me, framed by wavy dark brown hair. That was about what I could see before the blasted light went green and the traffic moved.

My lane of traffic was slow to move and I absently watched the little Ford move from sight, carrying the honey-hazel eyes away. Despite my dark mood I felt myself smile. I smirked and then for reasons unknown I burst out laughing. The band that held the anger in gave way and I guffawed into the helmet like a damn fool. Half a mile up the road my laughter subsided and a happy mood, full of joy settled over me. I shook my head at the folly of my anger of minutes ago and I looked around in an effort to find the hazel eyes but the little Ford had disappeared. I had an odd feeling of loss and strangely felt an urge to find her, just to see her again. Maybe just thank her for the 'pick me up'.

My elation lost its buoyancy when I walked into the office. Henry, my departmental head, was waiting in my office and he had the damn audacity to glance at his watch as I entered. My being almost half an hour early must have stuck in his craw like a porcupine swallowed the wrong way round.

"You finished?" he asked and malice made his eyes squint.

"No," I answered levelly and nodded. "Good morning."

"Fuck you and your sarcasm!" he hissed.

I just shrugged and dropped my laptop on the table. While I waited for it to boot up I idly paged through some documents while he sat and breathed though his cathartic nose. I wanted to sit down but I knew he was waiting for that minute indication that I deemed him unworthy of my respect. I did of course, and he knew it but to blatantly show it would be even more damaging to my career than the day I accidentally mentioned to the directors that I had done a specific piece of research, blissfully unaware of the fact that he had already taken credit for it. I have no idea what was said after I had left the room but ever since he was on the war path with me. I knew he wanted to fire me but two things prevented him from doing it. I was the top qualified programmer in my field and he needed me. Secondly he needed a good excuse which I would have loved to give to him but right now I had some serious financial challenges and until they were sorted, I needed this job.

"When are you going to finish?"

I blew through pursed lips. "Henry, I told you weeks ago. The original coding is hogwash. The company has already paid for and accepted it. Just debugging it is going to take weeks. I shudder to think how long before it actually works." I shrugged again and felt a strange joy. "I promised you my best effort. If that is not good enough you are welcome to find another programmer. I will happily move departments or even find alternative employment."

His breath caught and his cheeks flushed as he leaned forward. "Do you think you are irreplaceable?"

"Not at all," I said with a smile. "Both of us can be replaced in a matter of days!" I felt the hair in my neck rising and a feeling of being ready settled over me. I was suddenly enjoying this confrontation that I had dreaded, much like a boxer getting his second wind and I looked at him levelly. "You screwed the contract and now you need me to keep you in your job. I cannot work with you breathing down my neck and let me tell you something. I am not doing it for you. This company needs to go forward and I need it to do so because I am planning a career in this discipline. Get out of my office and go think of a plausible excuse to give to the directors."

He fumed. "How dare you? I will have you fired!"

I walked to my office door and opened it while I bowed. "Please do so. Now get out of my office!"

He was pale with fury as he walked past me and I casually noticed some startled faces in the cubicle offices. Somewhere in the back of my mind was a realization that I may have raised my voice a little too high.

I sat down and scanned some coding sequences I had done last night, just to refresh and kick start my brain. A while later a soft creak of my door opening made me look up.

"Hi Jenny." I smiled. "Help you?"

She pokerfaced. "I need any file on your table."

"What?"

She pulled the muscles in her lower jaw to feign fear. "I need to say something but the boss is watching with eyes of lava. Any excuse to be here?"

I ducked into a drawer and pulled out a file about a finished product. "Here you go. There is something of interest in the process they followed to make the old and new programs chat to one another. Just in case someone asks. It is somewhere near the end."

Jenny took the file and I saw the slight tremble of her hand. "That was awesome!" she said monotone while acting as if she was paging through the file. "He hates your guts and now he will be on the prowl to find an excuse to fire you."

I pointed to the file in her hand to play out the act of conversation. "He has that already but this job on my computer needs to be finished. I, and I alone can do that. If it does not go on line in two weeks he will be looking for a job, not me. See you for coffee at ten."

She nodded and left. I glanced up and saw Henry watching her walk to her cubicle. Once again my hackles came up and I sat there thinking that if he went to her now I will follow him. I was tired of his bullying attitude. With one eye on him and the other on my screen I started working again in earnest.

A soft cough at my door made me look up. "You mentioned coffee?"

Startled I looked down at my watch and she chuckled.

"Hard work makes time fly," she said softly and gestured at the file in her hand. "I have made a study of it. We can chat about it at any time. At least it will confuse the issue."

"Go make the coffee. I'll be there in a minute."

I finished a few lines and after making sure that I will remember what I was on about, I got up and went to the tea room where Jenny sat with her coffee clasped between her hands. She tilted her head towards my own cup parked at the edge of the little table next to her.

"Making progress?" she asked with a coy smile I knew well. It made her beautiful face come alive with an almost heated sensuality. Softly I promised myself that one day I was going to kiss that beautiful mouth until my lips were a mass of gangrene. Married to a wonderful guy or not.

I just shrugged. "I will finish it but quite honestly I am concerned that it may be a little late. It is a terrible product and the company can really do without the bad rap it will get if it is late. It seems to have been put together by students! Every now and then I come across lines of the craziest code!"

She gulped a mouthful. "If it is late. What will be the consequences?"

I just shrugged. "The immediate thing will most probably be a disgruntled client. At best it would cause embarrassment. At worst they can take legal action and we may have to do the entire thing for free or even pay for some other company to do it properly. Whatever the outcome, it will be bad for us. I don't even want to think of the bad publicity."

She nodded slowly. "We could lose some other big contracts because of this?"

My left eyebrow shot up. "God forbid."

"But possible?"

I grinned. "The Gauls were afraid of the sky falling on their heads. Centuries later we call them French and the sky is still safely up there."

"So you doubt it?"

I looked into my mug and squinted. "There have been some awful cloudbursts."

With her typical daintiness she bit off a minuscule piece of the cracker she held between her fingers while staring out the window with her head tilted slightly. It never ceased to amaze me that she could be such a perfect lady. Impeccable manners. Perfect poise. Cool, calm and collected. Intelligent and with an inherent respect for everybody. And to top it all she was beautiful. Breathtakingly so. Her rather large eyes sloping upwards to the outside with the glittering green irises perched next to a surprisingly prominent nose above a full mouth curved into an almost perpetual smile. All of this framed by a head of heavy, dark chestnut colored hair with just the right amount of waves to give it shape.

And yet I knew. She had grown up on the wrong side of the tracks. Her mother an alcoholic prostitute and her father long gone by the time she went to primary school. And yet... She always spoke well of her mother. No backlash at bad teachers. No blame at anyone for her childhood. Just a happy girl.

Plonking the mug down I rose and gently touched her arm. "Thanks for the coffee. I have to get back to my office and save the world."

Her happy smile followed me and drifted in front of me for the rest of the day. I got into a groove and things just fell into place. At some stage I absently noticed that it was quiet but only realized that it was late when my stomach came up to see if I had been beheaded. I glanced at my watch and returned to my keyboard and was typing away when an awful thought rammed itself into my conscious. The dogs! Casper who normally would take mercy on the dogs if I did not show up was visiting his ailing dad up state and that would leave two very hungry and frustrated dogs to bark out their worry.

I was halfway to the door when I turned around for my laptop. With it clamped under my arm I ran to the front door. The night guard was there to open for me but it was as if he had lead in his feet. I wanted to yell at him to hurry up but realized that he was actually walking quite fast. I ran to the bike, dropped the laptop into the panniers and mercilessly gunned the willing engine the moment it started. At one time I thought I was crazy to be in such a huge hurry now. It was long past ten and any damage that could have been done must have been done by now. Nevertheless I kept to racing speed through town and almost skidded into my driveway.

Chapter 2

When Grody came romping around the corner of the house and jumped up at me I laughed with joy. I ruffled his hair and rubbed his rib cage while waiting for Justin to come around the corner as well. When it did not happen I asked Grody; "Where's Justin?"

He barked and then whined in something almost like a growl before jumping up at me again and only then did I notice the strength with which he clung to me. I did not need a degree to understand that something was very wrong. I ran around the house to see if Justin was there but Grody kept barking and running towards the back towards the neighbor. A terrible dread fell over me and I ran around the house. In something like two bounds I was on my neighbor's front porch and hammering away at his door. At first nothing happened but eventually, after I had been knocking long and hard enough for other neighbors to switch on lights in their house, I heard him unlocking.

As soon as that door opened I stepped forward. "Do you know where Justin is?" I asked and noted that I was breathless. This in itself should have warned me to remain calm but I was mad with worry and for good reason. This 'thing' in front of me had been tormenting me and my dogs ever since we had moved in here more than four years ago. Threats of harm had been a regular occurrence and right then I was sure he had made good on his promises.

A malicious grin was plastered on his face and he almost laughed when he hissed; "Find the mongrel yourself!" He pushed at the door to close it and years of pent up anger slipped in my head. I momentarily pulled hard on the door to put him off balance and then shoved with all the power I had. There was just enough time for him to contort his face in fear and then shock as the door first hit his chest and then half of his face. His nose bounced to the outside and his left eye moved in its socket to look to the inside before his head snapped backward.

I watched his eyes lose focus and he fell backward. As he hit the floor I moved over him and lifted him by the scruff of his shirt.

"Where is my dog?" I growled. Somewhere a faint voice tried to warn me to slow down, take it easy but I was over the top. Not even the Devil himself would have stopped me then.

He glared at me and then did the most unexpected thing. He spat in my face!

I snapped. Whining with fury I lifted my fist to above my shoulder and brought it down to his face. The shock of contact travelled up my arm and I felt my shoulder shudder. His head snapped away from my hand and he went limp. I slowly let him fall to the floor and stood over him. My breathing was haggard and my hand felt a lame pain.

I called but only heard Grody's panted whine. I had no idea what to do. Justin was missing. The only person who may have an idea of where he was, was sprawled on the floor with a trickle of blood running from his left nostril, showing no sign of waking up soon.

I sat down in a chair. Rummaging through the house would lead to another felony and I did not need that. All I could do was to wait for the 'thing' to wake up.

After a few more minutes he stirred, slowly shook his head and tried to sit up. I gently supported him by his shoulders and got him into a sitting position. He looked around stupidly and then his gaze fell upon me. It took seconds for realization to dawn on him and I saw shock, anger and fear dart across his complexion. He slowly wiped his hand across his mouth and stared uncomprehending at the smear of blood in the palm of his hand.

I decided to strike while the iron was hot. "Where is Justin?"

He shook his head and tried to focus his eyes. "Ask the dog catcher!" he slurred and wiped at his bleeding mouth. He sat back and looked at me with venom. "I will have your balls for this!"

Fury is a strange thing. It can make you do terrible things but sometimes it has an almost weird calming effect. I softly put my hand around his throat and I felt my lips curl into a smile. "Understand this. I will go to prison, possibly for life, but you will be dead. There is no comeback. No recourse to the law. Where is Justin?"

I had to give him that. He was brave. To the point of being stupid.

"Ask the dog catcher!" he guffawed and I slapped him. Hard. His eyes clouded over and for long seconds he looked at me with an empty expression as his marbles rolled around in his head. The stinging of my palm was an indication of how that must have hurt.

"Where is Justin?" I hissed. I knew I was nearing loss of control. Waves of heat were sweeping across my forehead and in my mind's eye I could see his head bursting open due to pressure from my hands. "Please tell me. I do not want to kill you."

I think that got through to him. He gestured behind him and mumbled, "The garage."

The door from the kitchen to the garage was unlocked. I would have kicked it into smithereens if it had been otherwise. Apart from his Cherokee the garage was almost bare. A few basic garden tools lying about but nothing else except a black garbage bag against the car's back wheel.

Mainboy
Mainboy
377 Followers