Geek to Farm

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh God no!" I whispered and ran to it. I tore at it while Grody whined and ripped at the plastic with me. Inside I found Justin's limp body. Across his head, over his left eye was a deep gash from which blood must have seeped while he was still alive. I tore at the rest of the bag to expose what remained of the dog my father had given to me a few years before he had a fatal aneurysm. My mongrel. The street smart cur from the wrong side of the breeding line. My Einstein. The one who used to have long and intelligent conversations with me by alternating growls, whines and barks. He was my super-friend!

I picked up his head and held it to my chest. I kissed the lifeless eyes and mumbled things. Grody whined and nuzzled between me and Justin's lifeless body while licking at the bloody wound across his eye.

Time slipped. I sobbed over Justin, telling him how sorry I was for being late and not being there to save him. When I regained full consciousness a terrible rage washed over me. I sobbed as I slowly laid him down on the floor while my tears made pearls on his fur. Grody had moved to the other side of Justin's body and was lying there with his left paw across his neck, again licking at the blood from his friend's head.

I got up and roared. I grabbed the Cherokee by the roof rails and shook it. I wanted to kill it! Eventually exhaustion made me relent and I staggered to the door leading into the house.

Inside I found some blood on the floor and an open front door. Nothing else. I was breathing heavily as I searched from room to room. I needed to kill! Only, the house was empty.

I sat down on a couch and groped for my phone. The Policeman who answered had a deep and calm voice.

"How can I help you?" he asked after the typical formalities.

"I need someone at 53 Crescent Drive, Smears lake."

"What is the problem sir?"

"There is going to be the most spectacular murder this county has ever seen if a Police officer is not here soon!" I said almost as a sigh and then added with force, "Please!"

"Your name sir?

"Gough," I mumbled, "Jonathan Gough."

"Is your life in danger Sir?" he wanted to know and I almost screamed at him.

"No!"

A few seconds of silence. "You mentioned a possible murder Sir?"

My anger flared and I almost yelled at him again but I managed to take a deep breath and while blowing it out I got my voice under control. "Please listen to me," I pleaded. "If I find my neighbor tonight I will kill him. I do not want to go to prison but I doubt if I will be able to control my actions."

"Did he harm you or someone?" came the calm reaction.

"He killed my dog!"

Seconds of silence followed and I thought I could hear him softly speaking to someone before he came back on line. Are you armed Sir?"

I smirked. "I have a gun but don't carry."

"Knife?"

I shook my head. "What is it to you?"

I could swear I heard a soft laugh. "We like to keep our officers informed on what they may expect at a scene."

I shook my head. "Except for my neighbor, I have no intention of hurting anybody much less a Police Officer."

Another pause before he said; "We have a patrol car in your vicinity sir. They are on their way. Are you at the address you gave us?"

"Not at the moment but I will be there in less than a minute. Can you tell the officers that I will be standing on the lawn in front of my house?"

"Will do," came the reassuring reply and I disconnected. I called to Grody and after an interminable time he showed at the door of the kitchen with an expression of uncomprehending grief on his face.

"Let's go boy."I called but he only looked at me and turned back to where he had come from. I let him be and with blinding tears dripping from my cheeks onto my shirt front I stumbled outside to await the Police.

Nothing announced their arrival. Not even a blue light. The car almost coasted around the corner and trundled to where I was standing. It stopped and I could see two people inside looking around. Maybe to ascertain themselves that it was safe before they got out. The passenger door opened and a female uniformed got out.

"Mr. Gough?"

I nodded in the dark and almost laughed at my stupidity. "Yes."

She walked around to the back of the car and stopped. In the glow of the tail lights I could see her right hand hovering close to the gun on her side and I sighed as I saw the driver's door open.

"You can relax ma'am. I am unarmed and have no desire to harm a police officer."

"Are you ok Sir?" the man asked as he got out of the car.

"No!" I yelled and I could see him jerk. I held up my hands in a gesture of surrender. "My fight is not with you guys. Please relax."

"Our radio call stated that you were threatening to kill." the lady asked. "Is that the case?"

"My neighbor killed my dog."

I could hear them conversing in low tones and then the man approached me, stopping a few yards behind me. "Do you mind telling me where the said neighbor is?"

I clasped my head with both hands. "I do not know. He left the house while I was looking for Justin."

"Justin?"

"My dog."

"Will you please escort Mr. Gough inside Melanie?" he said and as she approached he faced me fully. "Officer Scholtz will be safe?"

I nodded and tried to smile but I could feel my face contort into something that must have looked like a grimace.

"The house next door is the neighbor in question?"

I shook my head. "At the back. I don't know where he is. The house is open. You will find Grody and Justin's body in the garage."

"Who is Grody?"

"My other dog!" I snapped and then sighed. "I'm sorry. I did not mean to yell at you."

He just nodded and started walking around the house towards my neighbor's. The lady softly took me by the elbow and led me to the front door. There was gentle comfort in her touch.

Once inside I simply kept on walking to the kitchen but did not switch on the main light. Light coming from the great room illuminated it enough for me to see what I was doing without lighting up my eyes that I was certain looked like two red balls. I filled a kettle and switched it on. "Coffee or something?"

"Coffee would be great but can we wait for Mark?"

I nodded absently and kept myself occupied by placing mugs on the table. "Instant ok?"

"As long as it contains caffeine I will happily drink mud right now. Instant is absolutely fine but if you have some half and half, my heart is yours."

My head jerked up but she was looking at me with a relaxed smile. "Just a saying Mr. Gough."

"Johnathan," I said with an attempt at a smile. "I will answer to John but Jono will leave you thinking I was deaf."

"Melanie," she introduced herself. "You loved your dog." she said simply and I had to look at her again to measure the context. She had an almost wistful look and I saw her staring at the two dog's water bowls placed at the door to the garage.

"My father gave him to me before he suddenly died and yeah, he was special to me." I could feel my throat closing up and my voice became strained.

"I had a dog like that." I heard her say softly and in the half light I thought I saw a sad expression wash over her face. I was still thinking of something to say when she snarled; "Bastard!"

Stupidly I opened my mouth. "Was that your dog's name?"

"Are you trying to be funny?" she hissed and I felt my mouth go dry. There was some dangerous anger there.

I raised my hands in surrender. "I'm sorry." I busied myself with the mugs again just to occupy my hands. I felt stupid and with no intelligent words to get me out of the fix I was in, I just kept quiet. One foot in my mouth was enough. I had no desire to change them or stuff the other in as well. The uncomfortable silence dragged on and I started hoping for Mark or whatever his name was, to get back.

"I'm sorry," she said suddenly and I could hear the emotion in her voice. "It will never cease to upset me."

"What?"

She dropped her eyes and doodled on the table top. She took a deep breath and then looked at the opposite wall. A tear slowly dislodged from between a few eyelashes and moved over her cheek. "I used to be a K9 handler. One night we were called to assist some of our guys at the scene of an armed robbery. We got there and had a fugitive holed up in a dilapidated building outside the property. With my dog at the ready two of our guys approached and ordered the fugitive to give himself up and come out. He did. And just as we relaxed he suddenly lifted a hidden gun. He shot both policeman at almost point blank range. In shock I released Jackson and he ran at the man. Jackson took three bullets but still managed to grab the fugitive's gun hand before collapsing. In that time I had cleared my gun and fired at him. He dropped to the ground and I slowly approached him. As I passed my fallen colleagues I recognized my fiancé's body."

She took a shuddering breath and looked past me at something only she may have seen. "As I looked up again that piece of human garbage was trying to get up, still with a gun in his hand. I lifted my gun and fired. I took a step closer and fired again. I stood over him and kept on firing into his chest until the gun was empty."

"Shit!" I said softly.

She nodded. "Yip."

"Your fiancé?"

Again a wistful smile. "That bullet went through the heart I know was beating for me."

"And I suppose you were charged with all kinds of awful things because you used excessive violence?" I crooked my fingers next to my ears to indicate quotes to soften the words.

She doodled again and nodded. "I was demoted, removed from active duty and placed behind a desk for a few years. Tonight is my second night of 'probation' after endless sessions with shrinks."

I stood there looking at her. I guessed her to be about my age and I imagined her in civvies with her hair a little less tightly bound. I could get used to looking at her. A pretty woman.

"Why don't you leave? Do something else?" I asked the obvious.

"I was one of the best!" she said with a firm smile. "I intend being that again and I guess I owe something to Peter."

"Fiancé?" I asked and she nodded.

"He coached me. Endlessly. He never lost faith in me and could pick up a mistake even before I made it. I fell in love with him for a lot of reasons but his patience was what drew me to him. A remarkable man with a gift for working with dogs." She smiled suddenly. "Given time I am sure he would have been able to teach a dog to speak."

Stamping of shoes at the front door announced the arrival of Mark. I called to him from the kitchen and leaned over to switch on the kettle again. As he entered he looked at me with searching eyes.

"There is blood on the floor close to the door." he stated simply.

I turned my hand and looked at my knuckles. I expected them to be slightly discolored but strangely enough they looked almost fine. "I hit him." I mumbled.

Melanie grinned. "Be careful of too much honesty Mr. Gough."

I looked at her levelly. "As far as I can remember I have never lied." A smile crept over my face that I could not stop. "The odd fib to try and avoid an ass whooping from my mother or father but I think that is it."

Mark chuckled. "I can deal with honesty. How hard did you hit him?"

I frowned and looked at Melanie as if she could help me. "He was unconscious after the blow." I looked at my knuckles again. "It looks as if it could not have been too hard. My knuckles are barely bruised." Secretly I felt disappointed. I was going to have an assault charge thrown at me and I seem to have not done enough to really earn it.

Mark simply shrugged and fished for a notebook. While he took as many notes as he seemed to need I prepared the coffee while answering questions.

I looked inside the fridge and turned around. "Your heart will have to stay in place for now Melanie," I joked and Mark looked up with a very surprised expression.

She giggled. "Next time have some half and half."

"You two ok?" Mark asked gruffly.

"Melanie promised me her heart if I had some half and half but I am dry," I said chuckling.

He nodded absently and carried on writing a few lines before he looked up. "Please pardon me for this sir, but you were an emotional wreck when we got here. Are you feeling better?"

I shrugged. "Currently I do but I am not sure how I will fare when you leave. Sharing with Melanie made it a little easier but once I am alone I guess anger will surface again."

By the time our coffee was finished he nodded and closed his notebook. "No need to keep Justin's body next door. Want some help to bring him this side?"

"Thanks," I mumbled and walked towards the front door with Mark following. Grody was still lying with his lower jaw on Justin's neck when we entered the garage. Seeing him like that made anger seethe again but I bent over and lifted the limp body into my arms. Mark wisely kept his silence and simply led the way out of the house of Hell. Walking across the lawn I could vaguely hear him closing doors behind us. Melanie stood at the front door and even in the dim light pain was evident on her face as I shouldered my way past her.

I placed Justin onto his sleeping mattress and slowly came upright. I had to gasp to fill my lungs with air and I turned, right into Melanie who, instead of giving way, put her arms around me. The hug was honest and held just too much feeling for the moment. The breath I struggled into me with my face over her head was sharp and helplessly it turned into a sob.

"Bastard!" I groaned and felt her squeeze me. My arms went around her shoulders and I hugged her back. There was something about the way her body moulded into mine and I sucked a lot of comfort from her. I wanted her to stay there. An apologetic cough from the front door made me release her and I let my hands trail down her arms.

"Thanks," I mumbled and plastered a fake smile on my face for Mark's sake. "Thank you guys."

He nodded and came forward. "I guess someone from the office will be in contact sometime tomorrow. Your neighbor may possibly lay charges. I suggest you acquire legal counsel."

I nodded. Strange how quickly the scum of the earth run to lawyers when they goof it up. "Do I need to go to the Precinct?"

He shrugged. "Only if required." He nodded towards Melanie and she brushed by me on her way to the door. I could have sworn I felt her hand brushing softly against my arm as she went past but it could have been wishful thinking on my part.

I followed them to their car and bid them goodnight. I watched the tail lights disappear as they left the Sub and sighed loudly before turning around and trudged the few yards to my front door.

At some ungodly hour I eventually fell asleep after listening to an often repeated soft whine from Grody. My desire to kill was softened by the memory of Melanie in my arms. I could still feel the warmth of it. Somewhere there was a tune and I smiled at the memory of it. Given the chance I may just sing it with her.

Chapter 3

My alarm woke me. It was an indication that I had overslept. Normally I was well on my way to work by the time it made its irritating noise. I slapped it to silence and curled up under the blankets. Dream interrupted...

Grody's cold nose against my forehead forced my eyes open and I unwillingly sat up. I ruffled the hair under his ears and he nuzzled up at me. With a groan I rolled out of bed and stumbled to the kitchen where I put on the kettle and then kneeled next to the cold and stiff body of Justin.

"I hope there is a heaven for you Justin," I mumbled while rubbing Grody around his ears. "I would like to come visit one day. Maybe find you waiting at the gates." Without warning a sob escaped me and I could feel another tear slowly running down my cheek. Grody whined and nuzzled me again.

I had my coffee and dialed the security office at work, explaining that I would be late and needed him to convey the message. With that done I started looking for pet funeral parlors to take care of Justin. I smirked as the reality of it all came down on me. My dad had died. I was not there. Neither was I at the service. I was in some Asian desert hell-hole, doing what I thought was important.

I phoned my mom. She was still sleepy but I could hear the joy in her voice when she heard mine. Guilt swamped me. I had not been to see her in more than a month! And before that something like a month had also slipped by without me visiting.

"You free on Saturday Mom?" I asked with a smile.

"You visiting?" she asked and I nodded stupidly. Her excitement made me feel good.

"Justin was killed last night," I said softly and I could hear her sharp intake of breath.

"How?"

"My neighbor," I almost whispered. "He hated them."

We shared a few minutes of memories of a special dog and I eventually made moves to end the conversation. Only after we had said our goodbyes did it strike me that she had never asked how he was killed. I smirked. I did not even know. The gash across his eye could not have been lethal. At least I thought so. I walked over to my friend's body and stared down at it. Rigor mortis had made his lips curl up, exposing his teeth in an awful grimace of death. I trembled while rolling him into his blanket. To me it was a final farewell to a friend who had kept the memory of my dad alive.

I picked him up and carried him to the SUV. As if it would have mattered I lay him down on the seat right behind mine. It was where he always sat when we travelled. If not looking out the window he would sometimes rest his jaw on my inner shoulder. Grody had annexed the passenger seat long before Justin's arrival and defended that right with flashing canines. Something Justin only found reason enough to question when Grody lay his head on my lap while I was driving. A few soft growls were the normal argument and I always found it very funny. Dogs being jealous was something I would have laughed at until these two enriched my life. I quickly discovered that animals were a lot more intelligent than we gave them credit for. The fact that both were prone to dreaming and even the odd nightmare proved that those brains were active at a high level.

As I got into the car Grody bullied past me and after a quick check on the contents of the blanket at the back, crawled over the gear handle and sat upright in his normal place.

"I am going to drop Justin and then go to work Grody!" I admonished him but he simply wagged his tail slowly and nuzzled my neck.

I got out, walked around and opened the door on his side. "Stay Grody!" I pleaded but he simply jumped over the console and lay down next to Justin's body with his tail moving slowly, as if begging.

I sighed heavily and closed the door. Walking around to get behind the steering wheel I softly took an oath to do my neighbor a terrible injury if ever I saw him again. I casually glanced at the neighbor's house as I reversed out of my driveway. I had a strange fear of seeing his door open or something else indicating that he was at home knowing that I may just do something stupid. I was still angry enough to only need a small nudge to go into thermonuclear action.

Half an hour later I walked out of the Vet's door with Grody at my heels. He had followed Justin's body to the back and seemed to take leave of his friend when they removed the blanket and gave it to me. He simply turned and ambled to the door where he sat down and waited for me to leave. After I had paid I walked over, ruffled his hair and we left.

Justin was a cherished memory.

I simply drove to work. If anybody had a problem with Grody being with me it was their problem. As we entered, Henry started from his table and seemed to think better of it. Jenny gave me a curious look but stayed seated.

I showed Grody to lie down under my table and he simply curled up. A tail wag was all he gave to indicate he was not unhappy before placing his muzzle on his front paws and stared at the rest of the office within his vision.