Getting Even Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I didn't tell you about Brynn, while it was happening. I wasn't sure that you'd appreciate it, but basically I just didn't know how to tell you where my head was."

I pulled two printouts from the bookshelf behind me, and passed them to Kira.

"This is what I was thinking about." I said.

Kira quickly scanned the two sheets of paper. Then she looked up.

- "You applied for jobs in Winnipeg?"

- "Yes." Right around Thanksgiving, when I'd learned that Kira wasn't going to be able to get home, I'd made the first of several applications. All of the nonsense with Anita, DFC, and Brynn had only accelerated the process. "I made six applications. Got two interviews."

One of them would be a bit of a demotion, but there might be an opportunity to win a promotion fairly quickly. The second would effectively mean a jump in responsibility (and visibility) for about the same salary I was earning now (though I suspected that the money would stretch further in Manitoba).

- "Ben." said Kira. "Do you know anyone in Winnipeg?"

- "Other than you? No."

- "But you'd be willing to leave Toronto?"

- "This isn't my home, Kira. Duncan fucking Cockburn pretty thoroughly poisoned the well for me at work. Anita spoiled my friendships with Marco and Luke. Millie is about the only friend I have left here - and we don't exactly move in the same social circles."

- "But you don't know anyone in Winnipeg. You don't know anything about Winnipeg."

- "Neither did you, when you went. Are you trying to talk me out of it?"

That caught her at a loss. I believe that Kira wanted me to join her - but she also wanted what was best for me, and she couldn't be sure that those two things were one and the same.

"It's cold." I said. "Some people call it Winterpeg. They have a hockey team, and a football team. There's a ballet, a theatre center, and a symphony orchestra. There are major festivals - some of which I have a feeling we would both enjoy."

"They have the longest skating rink in the world. Winnie the Pooh was named after Winnipeg. The mosquitoes are the size of small condors. There are French-speakers."

Kira was shaking her head in disbelief. "You've been doing research?"

- "A little." I admitted. "Oh - and you live there."

- "I do." said Kira. She smiled, but she didn't meet my eye.

- "That's the whole deal, Kira. I was... I misbehaved, with Brynn. But I was good about Anita. She was never really on my radar after our first date. I was genuinely happy with you. I'd like to be happy with you again. It's really up to you - and not what you think would be best for me, but what would be best for you."

It was a lot for Kira to take in. I excused myself, and cleared the table of our used dishes. In the kitchen, I rinsed the plates and put them in the dishwasher. Then I got dessert out of the fridge, and brought it out.

- "Oh my God." said Kira. "Key Lime pie? How did you know?"

- "A little birdie might have whispered that it was your favourite."

- "Millie told you?"

- "Well, you certainly didn't. I can't believe that we went out for months and you never told me. Shame on me for not asking, I guess."

Dessert was a success. I didn't know what else to offer her, at that point.

- "Coffee? More wine?"

- "Coffee would be lovely." she said.

- "Won't that keep you up?"

- "We still have to exchange gifts." she reminded me. "And if I have to take a taxi home, I'd rather be awake for the ride."

- "Coffee it is."

I'm capable, to a certain degree, of multi-tasking - the popular name for doing two or more things at once (usually a sure recipe for disaster). In this case, though, I was able to make coffee even as I wondered how Kira was reacting to all of my revelations.

- "Is it a good time to give you your gift?" she asked, when I returned.

- "Ah - sure." I was a little more nervous about this part of our evening.

Kira handed me a fancy little decorated bag, with frilly tissue paper, ribbon and a bow. Inside all of the decorative stuff was a simple envelope. Inside the simple envelope was an airline ticket: an open date, return flight to Winnipeg.

I looked at the darn thing in complete astonishment. My first reaction was to laugh out loud - which took Kira by surprise.

- "What's so funny?" She was confused, but not insulted. My laughter was genuine - not mocking.

Kira understood a lot better when I handed her my Christmas gift bag (minus all of the tissue paper. She pulled out the envelope, and opened it, to find... an airline ticket, Winnipeg to Toronto, return. I'd thought that she might want to see her family outside of the holidays, and that maybe she'd want to spend time with me, too.

She just stared at me, utterly amazed.

- "You...?"

I could only nod. We'd bought each other the same gift.

Now she looked me in the eye. "Oh, Ben..."

That was about as clear an invitation as I'd ever heard. A second later, I was next to her on my threadbare couch, taking her in my arms. Our first kiss was slow, and careful, but fraught with meaning. It was a confirmation, and a promise.

There was passion there, too, but if my heart was overflowing, so was my mind. I was still trying to absorb the possible implications of Kira's gift.

- "You changed your mind? About a long-distance relationship? Is that... is that what this means?"

Kira blushed. "It means that I wanted my friend to come and visit me." she said. "But... yes, I was wondering if we could... discuss some possibilities."

- "Possibilities?"

- "Well... I wouldn't want to prevent you from meeting someone else. But if you were able to come out for a short stay, I thought that we could treat it like... an escape holiday weekend."

A friends with benefits holiday package, I thought. Yet she would leave me the freedom to meet someone new.

- "You're incredible." I said.

- "Am I?"

- "Oh, yeah. But I don't think that would work. See, I might be moving to Winnipeg soon, to take up a new job. And if that happens... I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate me having friends with benefits."

- "Your girlfriend?"

- "Unless you have a better offer - and you'd better not."

- "I can't imagine a better offer." she said.

There was no good answer to that, except to pick her up, and carry her to my bedroom.

- "No taxi." I said.

- "No." she agreed. "I brought my pajamas."

- "You won't need them."

She was an armful, but not all that heavy. I laid her gently on my bed, and then lay down beside her. I kissed her, and kissed her again. I simply couldn't get enough of that intimate contact.

Kira was ready for more. She let me know by pressing her bosom against my chest, and by arching her back so that she could grind her lower body against mine.

I had one more thing to do, but I decided that it could wait.

It was surprisingly difficult to coordinate the removal of clothing. I was trying to peel off her clothing while she tried to strip me. It was almost funny. But the urgency began to increase.

I had so many well-laid plans for a skillful seduction (if all went well, as it so clearly had)... and I fumbled them all.

- "Wait." I got out. "Wait... just a sec..."

- "I'm still on the pill." said Kira. She must've thought that I was fumbling for a condom. She had to be surprised when I jumped out of bed and sprinted back to the living room, to retrieve my silly little gift bag.

Because there was something still in it. Yes, the plane ticket was my main gift, but I'd bought something else for Kira.

I ran back to the bedroom, and sat on the edge of the bed. Kira had to be wondering if I'd lost my mind.

Who knows? Maybe I had.

I passed her the little box.

- "It's the second part of your Christmas gift." I said.

Kira looked especially confused, as I was holding out a small jewelry box.

"Just open it." I suggested. "It will all make sense in a minute. Or two."

It was a ring. No, not an engagement ring.

- "It's beautiful." she whispered.

- "It's not." I said. "It's just a Claddagh ring."

If you've never heard of them, they're an Irish tradition. The band is shaped like two hands, supporting a heart, with - sometimes - a crown over the heart.

It's a promise ring, of sorts. They're not spectacular, and they're not particularly expensive. Some people are ready to pay $300 for them (or even $500, if you can believe it). I'm pretty sure that you can pick them up in Ireland for $25 to $50. I got mine for $89.

It's not the greatest jewelry - but it can be very meaningful. I tried to explain it to Kira.

According to tradition (or legend), the meaning changes, depending on how the woman chooses to wear it. If you put it on your right hand, with the point of the heart toward the fingertips, it means that you're single and might be looking for love. On the right hand with the point of the heart toward the wrist: the wearer is in a relationship; someone "has captured their heart".

But if it's on the left ring finger with the point of the heart toward the fingertips: she's engaged. Finally, when worn on the left ring finger with the point of the heart toward the wrist, it means the wearer is married. Obviously, this tradition is much older than Facebook.

- "I love it." said Kira. She carefully placed it on her right hand, with the point of the heart aimed at her wrist.

My promise had been made; my question was answered.

We sat there for a moment, just smiling at each other.

Kira reached for me first. I leaned forward, and we kissed again. There was no rush, now: we kissed for a long time, before finally removing the last of our clothes. Our love-making was equally unhurried.

It's amazing how wonderful it can be, with the right person.

***

EPILOGUE

I quite liked Winnipeg. I'm biased, of course, because I got to go to bed with Kira every night, and wake up next to her every morning. We found a place to live together, and began to save money, building up our equity. Real estate here isn't cheap, but it it's nowhere near as ridiculous as in the Greater Toronto Area.

Kira was very successful at work. I was, too. I was offered a promotion (and a raise) which would have meant moving to Calgary. Kira and I talked it over, slept on it, and talked it over again.

I turned it down. There are more important things than money.

We joined a curling club - don't knock it. Curling is a great social game (even more so than bowling), and you can still curl when you get older. Kira trusted me, and joined in. She hasn't regretted it yet.

A little over a year after I'd moved to Winnipeg, I got a phone call from an old friend.

- "Hey cute stuff! It's your official guardian angel!"

- "Uh..."

- "Seriously? You don't recognize my voice?"

- "Millie?" We'd exchanged emails from time to time, but I hadn't spoken to her on the phone for ages.

- "There we go!"

To make a long story short, Millie was going to be passing through Winnipeg - which is not a thing, by the way - and asked if she could see us.

- "Of course you can." I answered. "Are you staying overnight? We can put you up. Nothing luxurious, but you know you're more than welcome..."

- "That sounds great!" she said. "Except... I'm coming with a friend."

- "No problem. We have room for both of you." We did - Kira and I had a second bedroom, because we were thinking about filling it... with children. Our children.

- "Just so you know, Ben... my friend is someone you know, too. It's... well, it's Anita."

- "Oh."

That made all the difference. See, you can fly from Toronto to Vancouver. Unless you're driving across Canada (something I heartily recommend, whether you're young or old), there's not much reason to stop-over in Winnipeg. Do it once, if you're curious - and you should be. After that... the only reason to go through Winnipeg is if you're going to Winnipeg or somewhere else in Manitoba.

"Let me talk it over with Kira." I said.

- "I understand." said Millie. "Just so you know, Ben: I still love you. I wouldn't be suggesting this if I didn't think it was a good idea."

- "I love you too, Millie." I said. "You introduced me to Kira. But I still have to talk to her, first."

- "Understood. I'm not trying to mess up what you have. I miss both of you."

- "I'll get back to you ASAP, Millie." I promised.

There was no way that I was going to invite Millie and Anita to our house without discussing it with Kira - not after everything that had happened between the four of us.

- "They're not just passing through, are they?" said Kira.

- "I don't think so."

- "It would be nice to see Millie."

- "And Anita?"

Kira sighed. "I guess she just needs some kind of closure."

- "Do you need closure?" I asked.

- "No. I can forgive - I just won't forget. But it could be awkward if we ran into her in Toronto, if we went to visit my family, or something like that."

I took Kira in my arms. "Are you sure, babe?"

- "Yeah. I think so. You?"

- "I'd rather not turn Millie down if we don't have to. Worst-case scenario? It's only one night."

I gave Millie the green light. On the day they arrived, I picked them up at the airport. Millie hadn't changed at all. I gave her a hug and a kiss.

I wasn't so sure how to greet Anita, but she solved that issue by wrapping her arms around me and pressing her whole body against mine.

- "Oh, it's so good to see you again." she breathed into my ear. The embrace lasted a little bit too long; I started to disengage just before she released me.

Anita had changed a little: her hair was longer, and the blonde streaks were gone. She still had a fantastic tan, that healthy glow and a bright smile. She was wearing a tight top that showed a little cleavage, and a ridiculously short skirt.

Thankfully, she let Millie and I talk a bit. I took them to the parking area and stowed their luggage in the car. Anita claimed the front seat.

Millie gave the latest news, while I occasionally pointed out sights of interest. Anita, meanwhile, fiddled with the shoulder straps of her top, and adjusted her skirt. She laughed at anything I said that was even remotely funny, and occasionally reached over to touch my arm when she said something.

I glanced in the rear-view mirror. Millie didn't look happy. Clearly, this wasn't what she'd been expecting.

Kira and I had decided to feed our guests at home - partly so that no one had to drive, and partly so that Anita couldn't surprise or embarrass us in public. If you've read my story, then you can understand why Kira and I were prepared for the worst-case scenario.

Millie and Kira embraced like old friends - which they were. Kira submitted to a hug and a kiss on the cheek from Anita. My lover certainly didn't fail to notice the way Anita was dressed.

Millie praised our little home - I knew very well that it would have fit into her mansion seven or eight times. But there was no pretense about her appreciation of the meal Kira had prepared.

- "Damn, girl! When did you become super-chef?"

- "It's really good." said Anita. I was still trying to decide if that had been a subtle put-down disguised as a compliment, when Millie cleared her throat.

- "I'm sure you've known all along," she said, "but we came to see you because Anita has some things she needs to say. Long overdue things to say."

That put Anita on the spot, but she was clearly well-prepared.

- "I... I wanted to apologise, Ben. For all of the things I put you through. It was... completely unnecessary - and it was all my fault. I did tremendous damage to our friendship... and I'm really sorry for that."

I would have given her performance a C minus, at most. The pauses were artful, but they seemed just a tad too rehearsed. Damage to our friendship? We'd never really been friends. Acquaintances, yes. A step away from going out together, which might have led to a relationship - but never friends. The closest we`d come to friendship was when Anita was trying to break up my relationship with Kira.

Anita's real (and former) friend was sitting just to her left, but she never even glanced in that direction. If there was anyone she had to apologize to, it was Kira. But there wasn't even a hint of remorse about what she'd done to destroy that friendship.

Anita put her hands on the table, palms up. "I wish I'd never done any of the things I did." she said. "I don't know if you can forgive me... but if I had one wish, it would be that... that we could start over. A fresh start."

Millie had the grace to look surprised - even a little embarrassed. This little performance obviously wasn't quite what she'd signed on for.

- "I'm not the one you should be apologizing to, Anita." I said. I spoke slowly, and enunciated every word.

Her lip twitched. She looked to Millie, first - for moral support? Finally, she looked at Kira.

- "I've apologized to Millie, for... my bad choices. But I guess I should tell you how sorry I am, Kira, for all of the pain I caused."

Brutal.

Millie couldn't help herself; she was slowly shaking her head from side to side.

Somehow we finished that meal. Kira had done the cooking; that left me on cleanup detail. I got up to start collecting the dishes. Anita immediately jumped up.

- "Let me help!"

- "It's alright - I've got this." I said. Anita was obviously expecting to follow me to the kitchen, where she would have me alone. Kira was no fool - she saw it, too.

- "It's all under control." she said. "Ben and I will do it." She gave Millie a choice of coffees and liqueurs, and then asked Anita her preference.

Kira and I loaded the dishwasher, got the dessert ready, and made four coffees. She didn't say a single word, and I wisely refrained from trying to comfort her. Like it says in the Bible: There is a time to speak, and a time to keep your mouth shut.

The rest of our evening was... interesting. Anita tried steering the conversation to books, or to sports - and Kira answered her almost every time. It seemed to surprise Anita that Kira was so well informed about the things that I liked.

Finally, Millie suggested making an early night of it, as they had a plane to catch the next day. Kira agreed that that was a good idea.

- "Ben?" said Anita. "Could I... speak to you for a moment? In private?"

- "I'm right here." I said. "You can say whatever you want in front of Kira - you and I don't need to be private. I would just tell her right afterwards, anyway."

- "Ummm... just for a minute?"

Canadians are supposed to be very polite. Generally, we are - and then some asshole (tele-marketers and scammers, especially) tries to take advantage of that. I'd had enough of Anita's games.

- "If you want it to be private, maybe you could put it in an email. But just so you know - I'll still be showing it to Kira."

That cooled her jets pretty quickly. Millie practically dragged Anita off to the guest bedroom.

Kira and I did a last bit of cleanup, but not before the love of my life took me in her arms and kissed me.

- "I love you." she said.

- "And I you."

It had been a difficult day. Even when I'd considered all of the possible outcomes of having Millie and Anita in our home, I'd never anticipated something quite so ludicrous as Anita's fake apology.

- "I didn't think that she'd still be so delusional." I said to Kira.

- "You handled it pretty well."

- "So did you. I would have completely understood if you'd stabbed her with a steak knife."

- "I don't need to get even, Ben. I won - in every way possible. She's the one who has to come to terms with all of the ways she messed up."

In the early hours of the morning, Kira and I woke up at the same time. Someone was clattering about in our kitchen.