Give Me the Man Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I've climbed it before," she said. "That was the hardest bit."

"Thank the Goddess for that," he muttered. He looked up. "How much further?"

"About two hundred and fifty feet on the band. After that, the slope eases and breaks up. Once we're off the band we'll be able to move together, but it's another two thousand feet of climbing."

"Go! While I still have the nerve."

Leara leaned across and kissed him, quick, fierce, then turned and began climbing again. Carefully he paid out the rope, watching again for the handholds she used, memorising them, until she reached a stance and he climbed to join her. And then again, on the next pitch, and the next, until an hour or so later and they were off the band. Leara hugged him after she brought him up across the last few feet of almost holdless rock. They sat, rummaging in their bags for the water bottles and trail food they were carrying and refreshed themselves.

"I won't be in a hurry to do that again," said Ardan. "I can see why you didn't want to do it at night."

"We'd have killed ourselves," said Leara with a grimace. "Ready?"

"Lead the way."

The climbing was easier now and they moved together, Ardan close behind Leara in case she dislodged a stone, lessening possible impact. As the climb went on Ardan developed a profound respect for Leara's ability as a climber, knowing in himself that she would probably always be better than he. He grinned at her neat bottom above him in a crack of rock. I probably won't tell her, he thought.

They topped out on the ridge as evening was drawing in, and moved down into the valley a few hundred feet, but the moons were obscured and it was getting too dark to move safely.

"We need to stop and bivouac here, before we fall off this mountain," said Leara after she tripped for the third time in as many minutes.

"Those boulders should give us some decent shelter," said Ardan, pointing. They made their way across. They were each carrying a thickly woven Hinazi blanket in their packs, and Ardan had a woven mat for them to sit on, and to insulate their bottoms from the cold of the rocks in the night air. They sat, propped against rocks, and ate and drank a little. The air was cooling and the last of the daylight was disappearing from the rocks behind them as the sun sank behind the ridge. Only the major moon was in sight as it rose slowly, the minor not due to follow for another hour or so. Ardan drew a blanket around his shoulders, wrapping it around Leara too, draped the other over their legs and drew Leara gently towards him, his arm around her, the blanket wrapping them both. She leaned against him, pulling his arm up and around her, stretching up to kiss his cheek.

"If we were here for pleasure, I might have designs on you," she murmured.

Ardan sighed. "How I wish we were. I hope your mother and the others are alright."

"If anything happens to her, those things will pay," Leara said in a quiet voice of total conviction. "The Hinazi do not forget easily."

"Try to sleep. We need to be off again at first light."

* * * * *

Mid-morning found them just above the tree-line, about four miles from Vilna Station. There was a low cloud hanging on the horizon and a cold dread rising in Ardan as they got closer, for the cloud looked too much like smoke. They were just making their way towards the trees when a figure stepped out, hand raised to bar their way.

"Jerol!" said Ardan. "What brings you out here? Is there trouble?"

"Ardan! Goddess be praised; we thought you dead." The speaker, a stocky man in middle years, sword at his belt, took Ardan's hand in both of his.

"Why would you think that? Didn't my father say I might not be home for an eightday or so?"

"Aye, he did. But he also said that you were staying in Jalx."

"I was, but I escorted Leara and her mother home." Belatedly remembering his manners, he made hurried introductions. "Leara, this is Jerol Yand, a good friend of my family. Jerol, Leara Asolan, from Ansel Crossing."

"A bad time for us all, I fear," said Jerol. He paused, a puzzled look on his face. "Why are you coming this way? What of the road?"

"We came over the ridge," said Ardan, hiding a smile at the astonishment on Jerol's face. "Leara's people were attacked by these strange creatures with their flying machines. We came to seek help. We had to come over the ridge because they cut us off from the road."

Jerol shook his head. "They attacked us here, too. And in Jalx, they seem to have struck there first. We heard it was very bad in Jalx, which is why we feared for your life."

"I'm safe so far," said Ardan. "What of my family?"

"All safe, last I saw. If you head towards the ford, you'll find our main group. You'll be challenged. The password is 'Sana'." He smiled faintly. "For your sister, Ardan."

"She is well?" Asked Ardan, suddenly anxious.

Jerol grinned."Aye, lad. A doughty little fighter, your sister. She stopped one of those things with a spear."

"She would," said Ardan. "Come on, Lea. Let's see if we can find my father."

They made their way down through the trees, following a faint game trail. The trees were just beginning to thin when again a voice stopped them. "Halt! Explain yourself, or face death. Give the password." It sounded like a child.

A big grin spread over Ardan's face, to Leara's surprise. "The password is 'Sana', Sana. Don't let your head get too big because they named it for you today."

"Ardan! Is it you?" A figure burst out of the bushes and skidded to a halt beside them. Clad in men's clothing too large for her, and carrying a spear almost twice as tall as herself, she would have made a ludicrous figure were it not for the skilful way she wielded the weapon and the fluid grace of her movements. Looking at the two of them, Leara had little doubt that this was Ardan's sister. Sana gave her brother a fierce one-armed hug and turned to Leara, eyeing her appraisingly. "Who's your friend, Ardan?"

Somehow knowing it was appropriate, Ardan opted for formality. "Sana, may I present Leara n'Alna, house Asolan. Lea, my sister, Sana n'Dheera, house Tearo." To Ardan's surprise, and almost as if it were rehearsed, the two girls made the ritual obeisance of respect to one another.

Sana giggled. "I like her, Ardan."

Leara grinned. "The feeling is mutual, Fral Tearo."

Sana scowled. "Call me that again and we won't be friends. My name is Sana."

"And I'm Lea to my friends."

"Where's father?" said Ardan.

"He was down by the ford. He may still be there. I think he sent me up here to keep me out of the way." Sana grinned. "He didn't know you'd be coming this way."

"We need to find him. Are you staying here, Sana?"

His sister made a face. "Father posted me here. Until I'm relieved, here's where I stay."

"See you later, then. Come on, Lea."

A few minutes later they came across the main group, huddled quiet in the shelter of the trees. Watchers were posted and Ardan noted with dismay that several wounded were being tended. He spotted his mother and made his way across. Her face lit up when she saw him and she embraced him fiercely, tears running freely down her cheeks.

"We thought you were dead."

He hugged her. "Not so, mother. I'd like you to meet someone. Leara. She's from Ansel Crossing. That's where I was when the attacks started."

Dheera held out her arms and the two women embraced, then Dheera held Leara at arm's length. "Ansel Crossing? You're Hinazi?"

"I am. We came over the ridge to try to find help, for my people have been attacked, too. It seems you have troubles enough."

"Aye, lass, we do," said a new voice. "Good to see you safe, son," said Gerlan. "Who is your companion?"

"Leara, allow me to introduce my father. Gerlan m'Andor, house Tearo. Father, this is Leara n'Alna, house Asolan."

"A name not unknown in these parts. Tell me, is your mother still leader of your people?"

"She is, sir. She sent me with Ardan to try to get help, for we too have been attacked by these creatures, whatever they are."

"We came over the ridge, father. The roads are blocked."

"That, son, we know only too well. Did you manage to stop any of these things?"

"Lea and I stopped two, where we were. Close range, with arrows and a wall to hide behind from their weapons. At anything more than fifty paces it seems our bows lack the power to penetrate their armour or whatever it is they wear."

Ardan had never seen his father look so aged as at that moment. "I know, son. We had the same experience. What we need are weapons that will damage those creatures. Your grandfather says he has a possible answer. Goddess knows, we need it."

"Where is Grandfather?"

"We were just going to see him when you arrived. Come on. You too, lass."

They made their way along the hillside. Ardan's grandfather, white-haired but still an upright figure, stood as they approached. "Gerlan. Good to see you, Ardan. You, I don't know," he said, bright eyes on Leara.

Leara made brief but courteous obeisance. "Leara n'Alna, house Asolan, from Ansel Crossing. I came to seek help but it seems you are as sorely tested as are we Hinazi."

Andor sighed. "We are, I'm afraid. Listen to what I say, it may be that you can bring a fresh mind to our dilemma. Ardan, your father already knows this. You, I think, do not. What do you know of the Terrans?"

"Only the popular tales, grandfather. That after the war, they melted away into the populace and disappeared, taking their ways and technology with them."

"Mostly true. Would you know a Terran if you saw one?"

Ardan frowned. "If they could just disappear among the people, probably not."

"How about a half-Terran? A child of both the peoples?"

"Again, I doubt it. Why do you ask?"

"What are your own feelings about the Terrans?"

"I wish them well. After what Father and I saw in the museum in Jalx, and what Father told me, it seems Ha'ar has a lot to thank them for."

"Next time you look in the mirror, Ardan, you will see a child of both peoples. Your father and mother are each half-Terran. I am one of the last of the true Terrans, yet saying that is a falsehood in itself. I have been researching our histories for years and I am convinced that we all spring from the same source."

Ardan stood for a moment, shocked by the revelation, yet not disturbed by it. He had said nothing more or less than the truth, that he felt that Ha'ar still owed a debt to the Terrans. He had a sudden wild hope. "Grandfather, have your studies led you to anything we can use to help defeat these invaders?"

Andor smiled. "A quick mind, Gerlan. Be proud of your son."

"I am."

Leara took Ardan's hand and squeezed it. When she made to withdraw he held onto her.

"What neither of you know is that I am the last guardian of the Terran lore. It would have come to you, Gerlan, in the normal course of things, but some twenty or so years ago the last pure-blood Terrans amongst us decided that we stop maintaining our differences and instead think of ourselves as Ha'aran. The knowledge would have died with me and there would be nothing left to separate us from each other." Andor sighed. "I'm almost afraid to go on."

"Are you saying, sir, that there may be some Terran weapon that could be used to aid us in our fight?" Leara's voice was quiet, but urgent. Andor smiled at her.

"Yes, girl. That is exactly what I say."

"Where, Grandfather? Tell us!"

Instead of replying directly Andor paused. "You tell me those invaders are in Hinazi lands?"

"Yes, sir."

"They're here, too, and refugees tell us they are thickest in Jalx. That is our problem. The answer is in Jalx." The old man turned to Ardan. "You went for your Initiation. Do you know if the Grandmother still lives? The senior Handmaiden?"

"She does! Arla - the one who took my Initiation - she told me so."

"In the Grandmother's possession is a key. That key will open a cache of weapons that the Terrans hid, hoping they would never be called upon to use them again. At the time they were hidden it was because we had realised we were fighting our own kind. These invaders are something different."

"Do you know where the cache is, father?" Gerlan gripped his father's arm.

Andor nodded. "Yes. I do. Do you know the Gray Tower?"

"I do! Lea and I went to see it only a few days ago," said Ardan, excited.

"On its summit is the cache of weapons. Not only is it locked, but it is concealed and camouflaged against accidental discovery." Andor smiled wryly. "We thought it safe, as no-one had ever climbed the tower."

"It shows marks of climbing, peg marks," Leara interrupted.

"From the descent afterwards I think," said Andor.

"Are you saying, grandfather, that to retrieve the weapons the key must first be retrieved from the Grandmother and that someone must then climb the Gray Tower."

Andor nodded. "It is much to ask anyone."

"I can climb the Tower," said Leara.

"You, child?" Andor's tone was doubtful.

"I am Hinazi. I've been climbing since I was six years old. Not only that, but I've seen the Tower and I think I know a route."

"And I know my way into the Temple of the Goddess," said Ardan. "Let us go!"

Andor looked at Gerlan, who looked at his wife. Dheera nodded. "We must try. I think Ardan and Leara may well have the best chance." She turned to Leara. "How good a climber are you?"

"Very good," said Leara.

"She is, mother. She brought me over the ridge to get here from Ansel Crossing." Ardan took Leara's hand. "If anyone can climb the Tower, Lea can."

"What equipment have you got?" said Gerlan.

Leara grimaced. "Virtually nothing. Just the rope and some slings. I used pebbles to jam the slings when we climbed the band above the Crossing."

"We have some climbing gear here," said Gerlan. He shook his head. "I'm not sure why we brought it, to be candid, but we did. Take what you need. I have scouts out at the moment. We think there may be a way past the invaders, going by Ellor's Ford."

"Horses, father?"

"We have them. I think it best if the two of you rest. I think you'll have to leave after nightfall. It's almost noon. Get some food and then try to sleep, at least a little." He smiled faintly. "The way the two of you have been hanging onto each other since you got here, you may welcome some privacy." Gerlan pointed. "Through there you'll find a cache, with clothing and the climbing equipment. Take what you need, then find yourselves somewhere to sleep."

Ardan led the way and then he and Leara sorted through the climbing equipment. As they were doing this, Andor came up to them, a bag in his hand. He handed it to Ardan. "There's some old Terran climbing equipment in there. You may find it useful." He shrugged. "I never thought I'd ever use it, but couldn't bear the thought of just discarding it."

Ardan tipped the bag out on a blanket they were using to sort equipment and Leara gave a low whistle. She picked up a strange looking device, prodding it experimentally. She held it out to Ardan. "See this," she said, barely controlled excitement in her voice. "Have you ever jammed your hand in a crack and then pulled yourself up?"

"Yes, so?"

"I think this is a mechanical device to replace the fist. See? When weight is put here, this expands to fill the crack. The harder the pull, the firmer the jam, but when the weight is released, it comes out easily! What else is there? This could make climbing the Tower almost easy."

"Only almost?" said Ardan in a dry tone.

Leara flashed him a grin. "Almost."

She rummaged through the equipment, excited gasps her only comments, looking up to see Andor returning. "I forgot we had these," he said. "Ropes of synthetic fibre. Very strong, very light."

"With this, I truly believe we can do it," said Leara, smiling up at the old man.

"I hope so," he said. "Ardan, you may have to teach yourself to use whatever you may find in the cache. I doubt that the instruction manuals, assuming there are any, have been translated into Ha'aran and I don't have time to teach you Standard."

"Grandfather, I'll do my best."

The old man smiled. "I know, son. Please the Goddess, may it be enough."

Their equipment sorted and stowed in knapsacks, the two young people found themselves a cosy corner beside a fallen tree and spread a blanket. They took the bedrolls they had acquired and laid them out, then laid themselves down. Ardan stretched across and kissed Leara. "Try to sleep," he said.

"You, too. I doubt if I can." She pulled her bedroll over herself and despite her protestations anyone visiting their clearing a little later would have found two sleeping young people.

Gerlan woke them at dusk. "Rested?" he said, smiling.

Ardan nodded. "Some," he said. "Not in my dreams. I dreamt we were being tortured by the invaders." He shook his head. "Not nice at all."

"Come and have something to eat and drink," said Gerlan. "Then we'll get you on your way. Some of the scouts are back. The way by the ford seems to be clear." He frowned.

"But?" said Ardan quietly.

"The two we sent towards the station haven't returned. I fear a mishap." Gerlan grimaced. "There's little we can do at the moment. I have the trails watched."

"Who did you send, Father?"

"Torl and Caban."

"Good men, Father. They know enough to hide and wait if needed."

"That's what I tell myself. Come on, get some food." He grimaced. "After that, the Goddess willing, we'll get you on your way."

As soon as it was full dark, Ardan and Leara made ready. Mounted on solid ponies bred by Gerlan himself, they had their climbing equipment securely stowed, spare clothing, and food and drink enough for a week, though it would be a week of lean rations. Ardan kissed and hugged his mother and sister, for Sana had been relieved of her post.

Dheera hugged Leara. "The Goddess protect you, my dear." She smiled. "Be good for each other."

Mounted, the two young people gigged their horses and moved off into the night. Worried faces watched as the two riders were swallowed by the darkness. "I hope they'll be safe," said Gerlan, a scowl of concern on his face. Dheera reached across and squeezed his hand.

"If anything happens, they'll face it as one," she said. "I could see into that girl's heart. She loves our son."

"And Ardan?"

"I'm not sure he knows it yet, but he loves her, too. Go with the Goddess, children," Dheera whispered into the night. "Go with the Goddess."

* * * * *

That's it for the moment, folks. There is more to come, honest. Not sure when, but as soon as I can. As always, constructive feedback is very welcome. If you ask a question, give me an address to reply to, eh?

12