God Save The Queen Ch. 02

Story Info
Ross Troy impacted by the loss of the Queen. Tribute to QE2.
15.4k words
4.81
3.7k
6

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/12/2023
Created 01/07/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

There may or may not be discussion of political issues in my stories. If you are a Snowflake that feels you need to be protected from any mention of politics, then click the Back button now, and never attempt to read any of my stories ever again. You've been warned.

***

Dedicated to the memory of Her Majesty Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, and Sovereign of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

Part 7 - Mourning

Teresa got up out of her chair and took her BFF Cindy into her arms in a hug. "I'm sorry." she said.

Cindy hugged Teresa back as she broke down crying. Teresa helped her to the sofa, where they sat down side by side. Meanwhile, I took out my personal iPhone and called Cindy's sister Molly. When she answered, I said "Hi Molly. Did you hear the news about the Queen?"

"No." said Molly. "Did she die?"

"I'm afraid so." I replied as I heard Molly's computer keyboard clicking as she began typing to look up the news on the Internet.

Molly said "How's Cindy?"

"She came into my office crying." I said. "Let me put you on speaker." I did so. Molly and Cindy exchanged condolences, Molly said she'd call their mother Maggie, and would tell her boys about it in the evening...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11:30am, Wednesday, September 8th. My wife Laura had called and asked me and Teresa to meet her for lunch, so we went to her favorite Soup & Salad Buffet place. After getting our food from the soup and salad bars, we sat at our table by the window that overlooked the little man-made lake.

Teresa said "The Sheriff told Cindy to take the day off. I know Cindy grew up in Canada, and I respected the Queen as much as anyone, but I'm surprised Cindy was so overcome by the news of her death."

Laura said "It's not my specific field of study, but I've always been struck by the tendency of human beings to desire to be subject to someone else. Many religions are founded on obeisance to a Deity, while nations even today are founded on obeisance to a monarch or emperor. The filial loyalty of the British People and the People of the Commonwealth to the Queen is one of the strongest on earth."

I said "I greatly respect the Queen and what she did for her People and Country in her long lifetime and 70-year reign. But as an American, I've never had a desire to be ruled by a monarch. And you make a good and interesting point, Laura. So many people in this country don't value their individual freedom, and it seems like many want to be ruled, not led but ruled by others."

Teresa said "And they're the ones that believe every word Bettina and KXTC tell them."

Laura said "And this is the reason I invited both of you to lunch... when is Dr. Mickelson's funeral?"

Teresa said "His Funeral Mass is Friday afternoon at the Catholic Church. Father Romano is participating, and will deliver the eulogy."

Laura said "That's what Father Barton at the Catholic Church said." Then she said "I called University President Moore this morning, and told him that Dr. Mickelson had died, and that his funeral was on Friday. He thanked me for calling, and then hung up on me before I could give him any other information."

Laura: "And then an hour later I got word from a (air quotes) 'confidential informant' within the offices of the University President that the dedication ceremony for the Biology & Climate School was moved up from Saturday to Friday... and to the exact same time as Dr. Mickelson's funeral!"

"Geez!" I gasped, totally stunned. "What did that old man do to Dr. Moore to deserve that kind of disrespect?"

Laura said "I don't know. I wouldn't have thought Dr. Moore even knew Dr. Mickelson, but I asked Callie to try to find out if there was any connection between them. She didn't find anything."

Teresa said "What about Lionel Carmela? Dr. Mickelson was a strong skeptic of Climate Change, and Carmela is the driving force behind that Climate Center. Could he have such a strong influence over Dr. Moore that he persuaded him to drop every standard of decorum a University President should show, and diss Dr. Mickelson like that?"

"No." I said after some thought. "Dr. Moore has to know what he's doing with regard to this. Like you just said, Teresa, he should at least, at the very least, put out an official statement of condolence on behalf of the School. But not a word to this point. Not one word. It's almost as if..."

I went into a reverie. When I came out of it, Laura was paying the check and Teresa was sending out instructions on her Police iPhone...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:30pm, Wednesday, September 8th. Cindy, Callie, Betsy, Baby Ben, and Maggie Ross came over to The Cabin for dinner, joining Molly and her boys, Paulina and Tasha, and Laura, me, Jim and Carole.

Betsy reached for me as soon as she saw me, and since I was sitting on the sofa in the back room, I picked her up and gave her a big hug, then let her sit on my leg when she protested being put back down. Baby Ben, who was growing like the proverbial weed, was 'tended to' by Carole and Tasha, under Bowser's supervision.

Ross was glued to the sofa in front of the television in the front room, watching coverage of the Queen's death. His Aunt Cindy joined him, and they sat and watched as Buddy perched himself between them and took one for the Team by allowing them to pet him and feel better for it.

Somewhat to my surprise, Jim was causing trouble. He started by saying "The Queen liked stringbeans, so everyone here should eat some stringbeans in the Queen's name. Especially Carole."

"I am not the Queen of England." Carole said assertively. "And I am not eating stringbeans."

Tasha said "How old was Queen Eliz-u-buth when she died?"

"She was 96 years old." Cindy said.

"Maybe she got that old because she ate stringbeans, Carole." Tasha said, joining her brother in the teasing of their older sister. "So you should eat them too, if you want to get that old."

"Flawlessly logical, Tasha." said Ian, also joining the party. He and Tasha fist-bumped. I didn't say anything, but I was impressed with Tasha's set-up of that little dig.

"We are not amused." said Carole, in a perhaps unwitting but very excellent imitation of Her Majesty Queen Victoria.

Molly said "Maybe it was the marmalade sandwiches." She was referring to the well-received video that Queen Elizabeth had made with Paddington Bear for the Platinum Jubilee the summer before.

Laura came up and said "We are not having any of that. But we are having a good old fashioned English breakfast for supper, and it's ready."

I know I wasn't beaten to the table...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After supper, Ross and Cindy were watching DVR'd coverage and YouTube clips. Almost everyone else also watched at least portions of it, and Carole had her iPad melting the Internet for answers whenever Tasha asked a question, many of them very insightful.

"So how long before Prince Charles becomes King?" Carole asked when her Internet search did not help.

Cindy said "He became King the moment his mother died."

I added "In fact, Carole, for a very long time they did not lower the Royal Flag at Buckingham Palace to half-mast when the King or Queen died, because in theory there never is not a ruling monarch. When one dies, his or her successor becomes the monarch immediately. They changed the rule and lowered the flag to half-mast when Princess Diana died."

"How do they name Kings and Queens?" Ross asked.

Cindy said: "They'll have a ceremony to pronounce Charles as the new King, and the name he's going to use when he's on the throne will be revealed then."

"He doesn't have to use his own name?" Ross asked.

"No." I answered. "When Queen Elizabeth was asked what name she'd use, she said 'My own, of course.' And thus she became the second Elizabeth to take the throne. But her father was called Albert before he became King, and he took the name George VI."

"Better than George the Third!" said Carole. "He was King when America whipped the British's butts in the American Revo-loo-shun."

"Carole!" Laura exclaimed. "That is not ladylike language!"

"But it's true, Mommy." Carole persisted. "We kicked their butts!"

"Don't backtalk your mother, Carole." I admonished. "And you're right, but she's right, too: you can find a nicer way to say we kicked their fourth points of contact."

"Harumph." said Ross, who was perturbed.

"Don't get involved in that, Ross." Molly advised her firstborn child.

"Yeah." said Jim. Ross's glare at him matched mine.

"How many King Charleses have there been?" asked Ian.

Cindy replied "The current one is the third. He'll be Charles III if he keeps his name."

"And he may not want to." I said. "Charles the First was beheaded. And Charles the Second was a playboy, and started a lot of scandals."

"Sounds like someone in this family." Laura whispered in my ear. I gave her a 'look'. She just grinned back; she knew she'd gotten one over on me, there.

We had some cake and ice cream for dessert as we watched the talking heads on television try to fill up air time. When he was done with his ice cream, Jim got up to go upstairs.

"You're leaving, Jim?" Laura asked. "This is history."

"It's boring, Mom." Jim said.

I replied "Queen Elizabeth was on the throne 70 years. Seventy years. It is very likely that will never happen again, and certainly not in your lifetime. Charles is in his seventies, and Prince William is 40 now."

"I don't care." Jim said. "And I don't know why Ross cares. We're Americans!"

"I'm Canadian, too." Ross said.

"Whose side are you on, Ross?" Jim all but yelled, and no small amount of challenge in his seven-year-old voice.

Ah, I thought to myself, some truth comes out. Jim and Ross had always been very close. This was the first major point of contention between them that I could remember.

"Back deck, Jim." I said. "Do you dogs want to go out?" Two outstanding dogs appeared at the back door. I followed Jim out behind them. We sat down, me in the metal mesh loveseat, and Jim in the chair to my left, after I lit the fire pot to ward off the beginnings of the Autumn chills.

"Yes, Jim," I said, "we are Americans, and nothing but Americans. But Ian and Ross are dual citizens, since their mother Molly is a Canadian subject, and she did all the paperwork to assure their dual-citizen status."

Jim said "Aren't Ross and Ian natural-born Americans? Weren't they born here?"

"Yes." I said. "And Aunt Cindy is also a natural-born American---"

"Then Ross should be loyal to America!" Jim declared strongly. "But he wears Toronto baseball shirts, and he roots for Canada's hockey team to beat America's."

"And that's his right." I said. "Their mother Molly was born in Canada, and to two Canadian parents. That gives Ross, and Ian too, the right to choose their loyalties. Ross should not be disloyal to America, but if he ultimately considers himself to be loyal to Canada, and a Subject to the Crown... it's his choice to make. And as his blood brother, you need to respect that."

"O-kayyyy." Jim said unenthusiastically. "I'll be nicer to Ross than Prince William is being to Prince Harry." Hoo boy, I thought to myself.

"Good man. Okay, you can go back inside." I said as the dogs came back up to us. "And what's on television is history, but if you don't want to watch it, I won't make you."

Jim was about to get up, but then said "You're not going to tell me to stop telling Carole to eat stringbeans?"

"Nope." I said with a grin. "But if you keep it up, you better learn how to fight... because one day she is going to get tired of it, and she is going to bust you up like a Troy Transcontinental freight train roaring down the tracks."

"That will be the day." Jim said levelly. "Thanks, Dad. And U-S-A rules!" Bowser wagged his tail vigorously in agreement. Buddy, being a Cocker Spaniel, maybe not so much.

"Send Ross out here." I said. A moment later, Ross came out. Buddy got in the chair with him while Bowser got in my seat next to me. Skritchins were applied.

"I just wanted to tell you, Ross," I said, "that it's good that you're appreciating the history of what's going on. And I'm proud of you for asserting your Canadian heritage like you did. You're mom's proud of you, too."

"Thanks, Dad." Ross said simply. Not one for many words, was my son Ross.

"So don't worry about it if Jim gives you a hard time. You be you." I said.

"I will, Dad." Ross said. "And Jim knows I'll whip his ass if he doesn't have Carole taking his side." Hoo boy, I thought to myself.

"That is not the message I was trying to say to you." I replied. "Jim's your brother and Carole is your sister, so I expect all of you to get along... eh?" That was a Canadian 'eh', and Ross did not quite succeed in suppressing a little grin.

"Okay, you can head back inside." I said. "But first, let me give you a hug."

"But Dad, I'm too old for you to hug." Ross said. "I'm in second grade now." We'd had this discussion before.

"Son," I replied, "I don't care what grade you are in. You will never, ever, be too old nor too big for your ol' dad to hug. And I hug you because I love you, and will until the day I die."

"Okayyyy." Ross conceded. "Love you, Dad." he said as I gave him a hug and he hugged me back. Bowser and Buddy looked on approvingly. Then Ross went back inside with Buddy while Bowser stayed outside with me, receiving skritchins as I stared into the flames of the fire pot.

When I went inside later, I did not see Ian anywhere. "Ian went upstairs with Jim." Carole informed me before I could ask out loud. "He says he's an American first, too."

I looked over at Molly and Maggie, who just shrugged...

Part 8 - Toyota - Let's Go Places

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, September 9th, from the anchor desk at KFXU Studios. "Anger grows as the Town & County Police fail to stop the Toyota Gang!"

"After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "Let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more on the Police failure to stop the Toyota Gang. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" shouted the athletic blonde reporterette from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with the State Office Building and Federal Building across the Courthouse in her background. "Commander Donald Troy and the TCPD have utterly failed to lay a glove on this dangerous gang of convenience store robbers, but Federal help may be on the way!"

Amber: "Channel Two News has learned that the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency, the DEA, as well as the SBI-DTD, the successor to the old Narcotics Task Force, believe that this gang may be using the robberies as a cover for drug operations, and may bring the superior resources and expertise of Federal law enforcement in to clean up the mess that Commander Troy's TCPD can't handle. As usual, Commander Troy has not responded to repeated requests by KXTC for comment. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Amber!" Bettina said as she was again shown on the feed. "And now let's go to Pat Stellum, with more on the dedication ceremony tomorrow for the Biology School & Climate Change Center. Pat!"

"That's right, Bettina!" shouted the corpulent reporter, who was giving trenchcoats a bad name as he reported from the University's grounds, with the Clock Tower in his background. "Tomorrow's ceremony will mark the beginning of a glorious new era for our University and its Biology School as they begin contributing to the great cause of Climate Justice!"

Stellum: "The ceremony has been moved up to tomorrow, Friday, from its original date of Saturday. We are fortunate to have with us Dr. Jerry Moore, the enlightened new President of the University. Welcome, Dr. Moore!"

"Glad to be here, Pat." said Dr. Moore as the camera panned out to show him standing next to Stellum. Dr. Moore's well-fitting, neatly pressed suit made Stellum look even more slovenly by comparison.

Stellum said as fawningly as he could make his voice sound: "Doctor, it's going to be a great day for the University, but Governor Marshall has refused to attend and has urged a boycott of the Climate Center. Do you expect a large attendance?"

Dr. Moore said "We certainly do, and all of the Professors of the Biology School are expected to be present at the ceremonies. Additionally, they will be expected to sign documents to fully support the School's new mission of Climate Justice!"

"And what about the rest of the Faculty?" Stellum asked. "Will they also be required to sign such documentation?"

Dr. Moore replied "We fully expect for all of this University's Faculty to support the School's mission."

"Thank you, Doctor." Stellum said, his fat lips forming a smile. "Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Pat!" Bettina said happily. "And thank you for your time, Dr. Moore." Then her face became somber as she said "And tonight at 8:00pm, there will be a memorial service on Courthouse Square for Queen Elizabeth II, who died yesterday at Balmoral Castle in Scotland. The Reverend Doctor Archibald Tate of the University Episcopal Center and Church will lead the ceremony, which was put together by dual American-Canadian citizen Cindy Ross..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Lots to unpack in that propaganda hit piece." said Commander Tanya P. Muscone as she, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, Sheriff Antonio Griswold, Commander Don Troy (me), Police Chief Sean Moynahan, Assistant District Attorney Paulina Patterson, and Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross sat and drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

Cindy Ross said "I get why they're pushing the CCC dedication, though they made Dr. Moore sound like a Fascist dictator with that talk about professors being forced to sign documents. But what's that crap about the Toyota Gang, and how badly we're doing about it?"

I said "First, let's not gloss over that about signing those documents. What they're not telling you is that Lionel Carmela attempted to have Dr. Moore force every member of the Faculty sign documents supporting Carmela's version of Climate 'Justice'. He was shocked to find out that over 70% of the Faculty refused to sign them, for various and disparate reasons."

Me: "But they are attempting to force the Biology professors to sign the documents, and if they don't, Dr. Moore will attempt to use that to fire them for cause in spite of them having tenure, to clean out the Department so they can bring in people suitable to Carmela and likely loyal to him."

Sheriff Griswold growled: "And may God have mercy on anyone in the Biology Department that attends Dr. Mickelson's funeral tomorrow."

"And the Toyota Gang talk?" Cindy persisted.

"Obviously taking cheap shots at me and the TCPD." I said. "But their intent is to lay groundwork for the Feds coming in and involving themselves with that, to the point of taking over the investigation. And yes, Green Crowbar, that's probably something significant that we should be paying attention to, as well."