God Save The Queen Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tanya Muscone said "I've heard it on good authority that the SBI-DTD is not working with the Federal DEA nor FBI on anything involving the Toyota Gang. So I don't know why Amber mentioned them."

"To cause suspicion, and division." I said.

"Welllll," drawled Chief Moynahan, "we doooo need to ramp up our efforts to stop this Toyota Gang. That's not a complaint, and I know they're operating in other jurisdictions. But both the Press and the Feds are using it to attack us."

"Yes sir." I said. "And it's not like we're letting the grass grow under our feet. These things just take time..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

With Tanya and Cindy busy doing Press releases with the Chief, I invited Lt. Mary Milton to waddle into my office and watch the KFXU broadcast at 8:00am. After it was over, I said to Mary: "Commander Croyle is aware of the Feds leasing that building off Jefferson Avenue. Do you have any more on it?"

"Yes sir." Mary said as I turned on the ink-pen bug killer. "First, I confirmed the information that your Confidential Informant gave you. I had to peel off three layers of the ownership onion before I even got to Federal Government money paying for anything, and then three more layers deep to establish the connection. Whoever your C.I. is, he or she is pretty damn good."

"And the Feds are working really hard to keep that information hidden." I said.

Mary said "Yes sir, it does appear their intent is to hide their building ownership. So why lease the space in their own name?"

I said "Likely because someone is getting something under the table in the transactions. Okay, I asked that if you proved the connection, to find out if they were doing crap like this elsewhere. Any luck on that?"

"Yes sir." said Mary. "They rather carelessly used the exact same dummy corporations to buy buildings in Southport, Midtown, Palmyra County, and The City. The ones in Southport and Midtown lease to one or more elements of the Intelligence Community. The property in The City is not leased, at least officially. The property in Palmyra County was leased to BigBenefitInsurance after you guys cleaned up that little mess involving Dr. Fredricson a while back." (Author's note: 'Long Cool Woman')

"Good work." I said. "Anything else?"

"Just that our street cams in that area don't work very well." Mary replied. "I was going to look up vehicle tags on cars going into or coming out of that parking lot, and found that the cameras either aren't operating, or somehow were turned to angles that make them useless for surveillance of that area."

"I'm not surprised." I said. I handed Mary a sheet of paper and said "Run these car tags, but not through normal channels that they might see. And this is very good work, Mary. I am really going to miss you when you go on maternity leave."

"Like all Police Officers, I'll be just a phone call away, sir." Mary said as she got up, meaning it humorously. "By the way, sir, Captain Michaels had Lieutenant Warner go into Intel and get all the video we'd amassed trying to catch the Toyota Gang, and they're looking at it now."

"Cool beans." I said. "Maybe they'll find something helpful."

After Mary waddled out of the office, Teresa said "Where did you get those vehicle tags from?"

I replied "I'll tell you in a second, but let me make a short story long. After I found out about the Feds leasing that building in our Town, I asked Mary to (air quotes) 'very quietly' investigate the veracity of the C.I.'s claims, as only she or Myron can do. Then I went and borrowed one of the SBI's unmarked SUVs from the garage under the Crime Lab building on the north side of the University Campus." (Author's note: 'Lady Ironside', Ch. 01, for the dedication of the building and the IC's lab certification.)

Me: "The SUV I borrowed had passive radio wave and radiation detection. We, meaning Myron Milton and myself, drove by the building on the street, and that place is lit up with videocameras and infrared detectors, covering the entire parking lot, the approaches from the street on both sides, and the parking lot on the other side of the fence with the ivy on it... where those vans on the far side are parked 'stern-in' against."

Me: "Soooo, we took a back alley to near the location, and I went alongside the fence on the other side, poked a camera through the ivy, and took photos of those vans's vehicle tags."

Teresa said "And all the Feds's horses and all the Feds's men saw nothing?"

"Of course." I said. "That is what they may expect to see when I don't want to be seen. Anyhoo, we have those vehicle tags they're trying to hide from us."

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my Police iPhone, and it was Captain Claire Michaels. "Sir, can you and Commander Croyle come to Classroom 'E'? We might have something on the Toyota Gang..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa and I went into Classroom 'E', where Captain Michaels, Lieutenants Rudistan and Warner, and Detectives Newman, Statler, and Waldorf were sitting. Joanne Warner was running the laptop and controlling the 5x4 matrix of monitors on the wall.

As we sat down, Claire said "Sir, we were going back over the videos of the Toyota Gang hits in our County. Intel also did a very good job getting camera footage from the areas surrounding the stores that were hit."

Claire: "We concentrated on the crimes of August 28th." (Author's note: 'Private Practice', Ch. 03.) "That was the night we had set up surveillance based on analytics, and the perps got by us and went to stores we weren't watching. The going thesis is that something or someone tipped them off to the stores being surveilled."

"Their own analytics?" I suggested. "Or maybe some of our intel info leaked out?"

"Possibly, sir. Or someone else's analytics were used, and the perps caught on to them." Claire said as images flashed on the monitors: "In the extended area footage of the stores we had under surveillance, there are several parked vans. Some are white but most are black, and they are parked where they can easily be seen and are fairly obvious. We have a couple of car tags, and we'll have Intel run them after this meeting."

"So they weren't ours?" I asked.

"No sir." said Rudistan. "We usually don't use vans at all, and when we do, you may be assured, sir, that we hide them a heck of a lot better than that."

"That's true, sir." said Joanne Warner. "We usually use unmarked cars with teams of two in each one. These cars were ours." She pointed out several cars, which looked pretty unobtrusive.

"Are those vehicles owned by Police Officers?" I asked.

"No sir." Joanne said. "The TCPD owns them, but there are no identifying marks visible on the exterior of the vehicles; even the car tags are civilian tags instead of County tags. There are embedded blue lights and the headlights will flash alternately when they blue lights are on, but those lights are virtually impossible to see unless you're really close up, and especially at night."

"I agree with you." I said. "I was thinking that The Teacher would know about these vehicles, and if he was paid he would sell the information about them. But if I'm following the data you're telling me about here, you think it's those vans that tipped them off, amirite?"

"Yes sir." said Joanne Warner. "As Captain Michaels said a moment ago, we got a couple of car tags, but those vehicles were the white vans, and may not be part of the problem. The black ones that have gotten our attention were careful to park in ways that their tags can't be easily seen. They appear to know where the cameras are, and know what they're doing."

Claire added: "And that infers, sir, that they made themselves visible on purpose, that they wanted to be seen."

"And what do we infer from that?" I asked.

"That they're a Government entity." Claire replied immediately. "Sir, I'd like to contact Lorena Rose, and see if the Federal DEA is running an operation in this area. And maybe someone can contact the SBI-DTD and see if they are."

"Hold off on doing that." I said. "But that's excellent thinking, especially about Federal involvement. So who came up with that Crowbar-worthy thought?"

"Captain Michaels, sir." said Joanne. Her enthusiasm, which was her normal voice, made it sound like asskissing... which it probably was.

"She's right, sir." Rudistan said jovially. "Captain Michaels was all over it, and I'm not asskissing like Lieutenant Warner when I say that."

"Micah!" exclaimed Joanne.

"He's messing with you, Joanne." I said. "And that's excellent thinking, Captain. Here, hold this." I handed her the red crowbar, and Claire could not hide her happiness as she took it.

"Sir," Claire said as she tapped the crowbar in her other hand, "Lorena Rose and I were tight when we were both in the TCPD. Why can't I talk to her in confidence?"

I said "We're going to have confirmation of your theory pretty soon, and by other means. I have been contacted by a Confidential Informant, and Mary Milton is running some data for me based on that. As to Lorena, I trust her, too, but I don't want her put in a bad spot if she knows something she's not supposed to tell."

I continued: "Alternatively, and this is my thesis based on what I know, good guys like Lorena and Dwight Stevens are very possibly also being lied to, so that whatever she would tell you would be unwittingly shared 'fake news', so to speak. So... what do you want to do with this information, Captain Crowbar?"

Claire said "I do have a couple of ideas of how we can use this to our advantage, Feds or no Feds..."

Part 9 - Memorials

8:00pm, Thursday, September 9th. I learned in my Boy Scout days that the American Flag can be flown outside at night, as long as it is illuminated. At sunset, the local Boy Scouts gathered at the base of the flagpole with the Reverend Doctor Archibald Tate, head of the Episcopal Center and Church on the University Campus.

The Boy Scouts had been established in England by Lord Baden-Powell in 1907, and came to America in 1910. Dr. Tate had therefore asked the local Scouts to participate in the ceremony that was about to begin. Four powerful klieg lights were set up on the ground, illuminating the flagpole and the American Flag as the Scouts brought it down to half-mast.

I was in uniform, on the edge of Courthouse Square with a contingent of Police Officers, ready to take care of any problems or protesters that might show up and interrupt the service. Cindy Ross and her sister, Nextdoor County Police Chief Molly Evans, were in civilian clothes, along with their mother Maggie Ross, who was as Canadian a woman as one could ever hope to meet.

Ross Troy, Tasha Troy-Patterson, and Carole Troy were with them. Jim had refused to attend, and bordered on rude in his declaration that he would not be attending. Tasha had said "I'll go with you to the ceremony, Ross."

"You're not Canadian." Ian had told Tasha. "Why are you going?"

"Because Ross is my brother." Tasha said brightly. "And it means a lot to him because he loves Canada and the Queen." Paulina and I were very proud of Tasha, and told her so.

When asked, Carole said "I just want to watch it happen. It's history." Smart future Iron Crowbar, my eldest daughter was.

They were joined by a surprisingly large crowd that measured in the hundreds. Most were Americans, either supportive like Tasha, or curious like Carole. Many were Canadian. Some were students from other Commonwealth nations that were attending the University. Some were from the United Kingdom itself.

They gathered in front of the statue of President Thomas Jefferson. It seemed ironic that the group would gather to remember the Queen of England in front of the statue of the man that was the principal author of the Declaration of Independence from the Queen's ancestor, King George III.

The ceremony began by everyone lighting candles and/or turning on their smartphone lights until the Courthouse Square was a sea of points of light. Then Cindy, at Dr. Tate's request, led the singing of what had been Britain's national anthem for over 70 years:

"God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen!"

Dr. Tate remembered the Queen's service as a military veteran of World War II, that her service working on vehicle engines and driving ambulances and the like were not photo ops, but genuine service of which she was always proud. He spoke of how the Queen had once terrified the King of Saudi Arabia by driving him around at rather reckless speeds.

He also said in his remarks that it was appropriate to hold this ceremony in the presence of Thomas Jefferson's statue, because the United States had been a great ally to the United Kingdom in the World Wars, then the Cold War, and that the Queen had enjoyed the great friendship between the two nations, including attending the 350th anniversary of the founding in 1607 of Jamestown, Virginia... and then attending the 400th anniversary ceremonies fifty years later.

He then closed the ceremony with prayers asking for Divine guidance for Charles III as he took over the monarchy from his late mother. And to end the ceremony, loyal Subjects sang the current British national anthem:

"God save our gracious King,
long live our noble King,
God save the King!
Send him victorious,
happy and glorious,
long to reign over us,
God save the King!

Thy choicest gifts in store
On him be pleased to pour,
Long may he reign!
May he defend our Laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the King!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Friday, September 10th. The funeral of Dr. Mickelson was at 2:30pm at the Catholic Church. Laura and I were going, as were Dr. Stephanie Steele and her husband Edward R. Steele. Carole had expressed a strong desire to go to the funeral, and I had said she could come, over the protestations of her mother.

I did not try to tell my wife of the strange but strong bond that both Carole and I had shared with Dr. Mickelson after our mutual experiences at and after Point Hollow (Author's note: 'Return to Point Hollow'), but I told Carole she'd have to be on her best behavior, and she promised to be.

I went and got Carole out of school a half hour early, and picked up Marie, as well, since her parents, the Steeles, would be at the service. Father Alberto Romano met us at the front door to the church, and though he should have been busy preparing for the funeral, he guided Carole and Marie and others that were interested on a tour of the church, explaining the candles in the front foyer, the confessionals (I prevented Carole from making an internal inspection of them), and the meanings of the icons and symbols in the various parts of the church.

"Father," Carole asked, "why does the Catholic Church have Jesus on the Cross, but the Sheriff's Presby-trrr-yun church has a Cross without Him on it?"

Father Alberto avoided too deep a discussion by saying that that difference evolved over hundreds of years. Sheriff Griswold, who was attending and had overheard that, later told Carole that Catholics remember the Supreme Sacrifice that Christ had made, while Protestant churches focus on the Risen Christ's victory over Death. I just stayed out of all that.

I looked at the attendees that were gathering behind us. Some of Dr. Mickelson's former students were present. Stephanie Steele was there, of course, and she was joined by the Law School Dean Dr. Clarence P. Chase, Dr. Lawrence Woodrow of the Criminal Justice Department, Dr. Wolfgang Strauss (the Maestro) of the School of Music, Dr. Tom Yates of the Psychology Department, and, surprisingly, Dr. Nicole Haven of the School of Art.

Mayor Daniel Allgood and his lovely wife Melina attended, and sat by her sister Laura. I knew this was the Mayor's expression of his own disdain for Dr. Moore and the CCC: Daniel had been invited to the CCC dedication ceremony, and had made a point to announce to the Media that he would be attending the funeral instead. KXTC did not run that at all, but KFXU did.

And two Biology professors, Dr. Shelby and Dr. Woods, showed up. "Aren't you risking your jobs by being here instead of the Climate Change Center dedication?" I asked them as I shook hands with them.

"We have tenure." said Dr. Shelby. "And Lionel Carmela is not the boss of me. I am eager to fight him and Dr. Moore if they take any action against me."

Dr. Woods said "I was friends with Dr. Mickelson. Some said his theories on Sigma radiation and Astatine were crazy, but I thought they were interesting, and we talked for hours about it. It's too bad the research on those things will die with him, at least in the Biology-related world."

Dr. Woods then added: "And to be honest, Commander, if Dr. Moore gets rid of me, there are many other opportunities out there. The work the Hospital is doing with the Croyle Foundation grants is amazing, and exciting. I'm already working on getting onto the Faculty of Midtown College or City University, and I'll have potential access to working with University Hospital here."

"Won't Dr. Moore, and especially Carmela, try to stop you?" Laura asked.

A voice behind us said: "He can try. But I am not a gutless coward like Jerry Moore."

Those words had been spoken by Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, who had come up to us. She was wearing her Dress Uniform with her considerable array of ribbons instead of actual medals, and she was wearing a skirt and well-shined high heel pumps. I was in a civilian suit and tie, by the way. Accompanying Teresa was her husband, University Trustee Todd Burke, wearing a midnight black suit and tie.

Teresa said "The money in that Foundation is not the School's nor the Hospital's. It's mine, and the interest is what is endowed to the Trust Fund. And my own counsel do I keep on where and upon whom I spend it."

Todd said "And she has the strong support of the Hospital Administrator and Board, as well as most of the Trustees and the Governor of the State."

Laura said "Speaking of that, will any of the Trustees show up here? Or are they going to go fawn on Carmela and Dr. Moore?"

As if on cue, J.P. Goldman, Myrtle L. James, Harold S. Truelove, and Beatrice S. York came into the church. And right behind them we saw former University President Sidney P. Wellman and his wife Sally come in. She was looking vigorous and healthy. He was looking much older, but healthy enough.

Laura made a point to go up to the Wellman's and hug them both. It was a personal greeting, but it was also making a point to show support for Dr. Wellman's gesture... and it gave Laura the excuse to not greet the Trustees. Hell hath no fury like a Fredricson scorned, I thought to myself.

After we got seated again, Laura whispered to me "Does Carmela have any moles here, spying on him to tell who attended the funeral?"

"Yep." I said. "That's Martha Faulkner of KXTC in the back. She's been writing down names, and was taking photographs outside as people came up."

"Crap." Laura muttered. "As bad as Carmela is, I'm beginning to believe you were right that the Media is our greatest enemy."

"Was there ever any doubt?" I asked back... not rhetorically.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dr. Mickelson's coffin was draped with a gold Catholic cover as it was brought up by the pallbearers. The University's Army ROTC Ranger Company had requested the honor of that duty, and the Police Commander, who was in charge of the official Funeral Detail for the indigent deceased, wasted no time in granting that request.

I wondered why they'd asked, as Dr. Mickelson had not been in the military. The Professor of Military Science and Commandant of the ROTC program told me that Dr. Mickelson had made the point to be the Guidance Counselor for many of the cadets, regardless of what they were majoring in, and they wanted to show their gratitude and respects.