God Save The Queen Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Carole was caught looking around at the church with great curiosity, but she did begin paying attention as the Funeral Mass began, led by Father Alberto and Father Barton. Father Barton handled the basics, and Father Romano gave an extremely moving eulogy, remembering his own experiences with Dr. Mickelson. And he did not shy away from mentioning the horrific night at Point Hollow, but said that Grace had comforted Dr. Mickelson in his remaining lifetime.

The interment at the cemetery was simple and somber. Most of the Trustees had not attended, but the Wellmans and some of the professors did. After it was over, I asked J.P. Goldman why Trustee George Woodham, CEO of BigPulpAndPaper, had not attended.

"He went to the CCC dedication." said J.P. Goldman, to me and Todd. "BigPulpAndPaper has always been a target of the Climate Terrorists. They spike trees with metal spikes, and several workers have been injured over time. They've set fire to lumber mills from time to time, and demand BigPulpAndPaper do more to offset what they call the destruction of the environment by cutting down trees."

I said "Even though those trees are planted and harvested like crops, and actually help the environment, not hurt it."

"You are doing it again... stating true facts that get in their way.." Goldman said. "Anyway, 'Mash' was bullied by Carmela into going to the ceremony. I told him it wouldn't help, that the Terrorists would never let him alone, but he's scared of them." And then, typically of him, Goldman said succinctly "To hell with him, then."

After Goldman shook our hands and made his goodbyes, Todd said "There's more to that story. Woodham is one of the 'Big Boys' of one of the nation's largest companies. Some of the others, like Matthew Willis of BigCommo, Edward Blassingame, Arthur Wood, et. al., have been pushing him to become much more politically correct."

Todd continued: "And Curtis Meigs of BigRoadAndRail is very good friends with Woodham; they're both rough and tumble men that rose from the bottom to the top. They may be pressuring Meigs, too, but they're all toeing the (air quotes) 'Climate Justice' ideology line."

"And they call Conservatives 'fascist'." I said bitterly. "It's the Big Boy corporations working hand-in-glove with the Totalitarian Leftists of the Democrat Party, especially when the Dems are in power in Washington, that are the real Fascists."

Todd said "And the Media keeps forgetting to report on that to the American People."

Carole spoke up and said "Daddy, Cousin Todd is trolling you."

"I know, Fussbudget." I replied with a 'glance' at Todd. "I know." Todd was grinning his brilliant grin at Carole, but she was having none of it. And all that ended when his boss (a.k.a. his wife) came up and marched him to their vehicle...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Saturday, September 11th. Jim commandeered the television in the front room of The Cabin to watch college football games, and was supported by Ian. Carole wondered out loud why Jim and Ian had suddenly become Alabama football fans, especially since the Crimson Tide was playing one of the Louisiana Directional Schools, as they were sneeringly called. Ian said "At least it's American football!"

Jim told Carole to mind her own business, earning them both a few moments of 'philosophical discussion' with their mother. It was a one-way conversation.

Ross was relegated to watching coverage from England on his iPad. It was the anniversary of the attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, and Ross had brought to me a YouTube clip that showed that two days after the attacks, Queen Elizabeth II had asked the Coldstream Guards to take the unprecedented action of playing another nation's national anthem at the Changing of the Guard ceremony. They played the Star Spangled Banner before an emotional audience watching outside the gates. It was very moving, and I admit to feeling some emotion of my own as I watched.

Queen Elizabeth had also in the past deeded a piece of land in England to the United States 'in perpetuity' (her words) in remembrance of President John F. Kennedy after he was assassinated. Such was Her Majesty's respect for her country's ally, the United States of America...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:30pm, Saturday, September 11th. The unmarked TCPD squad car was parked across the street from a convenience store near Al Sharpton Elementary School at the southwest corner of Town.

"I'm not complaining, and I like the overtime pay," said Detective Lisa Monroe, who was riding shotgun, "but it's like Michael Corleone in The Godfather III... just when I thought I was out of Vice, they dragged me back in!"

"It's not that bad." said Detective Joan Laurer. "At least not for me. I've always been in Vice. I was surprised when they moved me to MCD. So I can handle one more weekend of stakeouts."

Lisa said "And according to the analytics, it's not really our week to host the Toyota Gang. Anyway, like I said, it's not a complaint. By the way, do you really believe George Newman asked to move back to Vice?"

"Yes." Joan replied. "And he's at the other stakeout location now. I do think he asked, and of his own accord, to go back into Vice. He did fine in MCD, but Vice suits him a lot better. Lieutenant Davis, however... that's another story entirely."

"You think they kicked him to the kerb?" Lisa gasped.

"Well, 1st Precinct Lieutenant is hardly (air quotes) 'the kerb'." Joan said. "But Captain Michaels got what she wanted: Davis gone, and Warner is all but 'Assistant Captain of Detectives' now. And Commander Troy don't play, so since he passed off on all the moves, there must be merit to them."

"Maybe Captain Michaels banged him." Lisa said

Joan giggled, then said "I wouldn't blame her if she did. I'd fuck his brains out if I had the chance."

"Get in line." said Lisa. "But seriously, I'm grateful to Commander Troy. He hired me out of the City Police, thank God." She explained how she'd met Commander Troy. (Author's note: 'Iscariot', Ch. 01, for first mention of Lisa Monroe.)


"Lucky fall of the cards." Joan said. "You were in the right place at the right time."

Lisa: "I still don't know why he told me to apply to the TCPD, but I'm not looking that gift horse in the mouth."

Joan: "Some people say he has an uncanny sixth sense about things, and he was right about you. I appreciate all that you've taught me in Vice. By the way, you had MCD experience with the City P.D., didn't you? So why did you take TCPD Vice?"

Lisa Monroe: "I worked in just about everything in the City P.D. I was too honest for them, though. I might've gotten put in I.A., which makes me doubly grateful to Commander Troy, after what happened to Captain Masters there. Or I might've gotten a bullet in the back. And that's why I took TCPD Vice... because of the 'TCPD' part. Hear me now and believe me later... there is no Police Force like the TCPD, and I am happy to be on it."

Joan: "And now the frickin' politicians are messing with us, threatening to split the Town and the County apart again."

"That'll work itself out." Lisa said. "So... how are things going with Shane O'Brady?"

Joan said "We have agreed to be friends with benefits, for now. If he hadn't been promoted to Lieutenant in the Pottsville P.D., he might've jumped ship to the SBI. But he really feels an obligation to stick with the Pottsville P.D., and keep an eye on Wilson Hammonds. And I'm staying right here with the TCPD. So it's a long-distance relationship, and neither of us are willing to commit any more to it."

"I understand." Lisa said. Then she peered out the windshield and said "So is it just me, or has that black van passed by us at least three times?" She began photographing it with her powerful camera.

Joan said "Yeah, it has. Problem is, it's coming from the direction that makes it hard to see its license plate. But that mud on the tire well is giving it away. Should we follow it? Get a plate?"

Lisa made log notes, then said "No. We're supposed to sit here unless someone tries to rob the store. And that van might be trying to draw us out and expose that we're watching the store."

Joan thought out loud: "Are they casing the joint? You'd think they'd park somewhere and watch, like we're doing, or they'd pull in and go into the store. But then that would mean that it's a bigger operation with a lot of vehicles..." Her voice trailed off.

Lisa said "My money says they're casing anyone who is casing the joint, including us."

"And who would want to do that?" Joan asked thoughtfully.

"The Feds." Lisa replied...

Part 10 - Frustration

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, September 13th, from the anchor desk at the KXTC studios. "The Town & County Police continue to deny wrongdoing in the transfers of two TCPD Officers!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina enthusiastically began: "Let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more on further turmoil within the Public Safety Department. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" shouted the athletic blonde reporterette from the same rooftop, with Police Headquarters in the distant background. "The Town & County Council wants answers after learning more on how Lieutenant Jerome Davis was transferred out of his role as leader of the Major Crimes Division of the TCPD to the lesser role of 1st Precinct Lieutenant. Sources tell Channel Two News that this move was in response to increasing strife within the MCD Division of the TCPD after four Senior Detectives were recently promoted to Lieutenant."

Amber: "Additionally, Detective George Newman, who is black, was transferred back to the TCPD Vice Squad. Experts say these moves may be an effort to meet diversity requirements as the US DOJ Civil Rights Division contemplates lawsuits against the Town & County. Lieutenant Davis, Detective Newman, Commander Donald Troy, and the TCPD's Public Relations Office have not responded to KXTC's repeated requests for comment on the matter. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Amber!" said Bettina as she was returned to the feed. "That was trusted reporter Amber Harris with that important story. And now let's go to Pat Stellum, with a report on the dedication last Friday of the Biology School & Climate Change Center, and the disturbing disloyalty of some of the Faculty. Pat!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the corpulent Al-Capone-lookalike, reporting from University Avenue, just outside the fence that marked the School's property line, with the Psychology, Pharmacy, and Biology Buildings in his background. "The ceremony dedicating the new center to the great cause of Climate Justice was a festive, well-attended occasion! University President Jerry Moore and Dr. Jennifer Mallory, the new Dean of the Biology & Climate School, cut the ribbon in the ceremonies."

Images of the ceremonies were shown, but were careful to not show exactly how large the crowd of attendees were. Only a few people were visible, and a lot of them didn't look very happy to be there.

Stellum: "However, several Faculty Members did not attend despite expectations they would be present. Some Department heads, including Laura Fredricson of the Psychology Department, Stephanie Steele of the Physics and Astronomy Department, Clarence Chase of the Law School, Lawrence Woodrow of the Criminal Justice Department, and Wolfgang Strauss of the Music School, were not at the ceremonies."

Stellum: "But worse, two Biology professors did not attend, though they were explicitly told that they were required to be there. They also have refused to sign the required documents that they will support the Climate Justice mission of the Biology School. Reached for comment, Dr. Moore stated that they will have to explain their absence from the ceremony, but more importantly, their refusal to sign the documents is grounds for termination for cause... tenure notwithstanding."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Your papers, pleazze!" I said loudly in my 'German' accent. "You vill sign the documents of loyalty to the Führer Carmela, or you will be terrrminated with extreeeeme prejudice."

"The sad thing about that," replied Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross, "is that it's actually true. That literally is what that is."

The Green Crowbar and I (the Red Crowbar) were drinking coffee as we watched the propaganda-cast in the Chief's Conference Room, joined by Sheriff Griswold, Chief Moynahan, ADA Paulina Patterson, Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone, and Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle.

"Can they really do that?" Tanya asked. "Especially if the professors have tenure?"

Paulina said 'Dr. Chase told me that it is highly unlikely the Department Heads can be punished for not attending. But the Biology professors could be in a lot more trouble."

"But to try to force someone to sign (air quotes) 'loyalty documents'?" Teresa gasped. "Don is absolutely right in his characterization of that... it's something straight outta Nazi Germany!"

"Which is exactly what Carmela craves." I said.

"Dr. Chase will represent them pro bono if and when Dr. Moore and Carmela try to fire them." Paulina said.

"And then they'll target him." I replied sourly. "And believe you me, there was a reason that Fat Boy there named the names of specific Department Heads that did not attend. They will also be targeted for harassment, and the Totalitarians will try to get them fired, as well."

Tanya said "Don, anything to that old news about our recent transfers being brought back up?"

I shrugged as I said "They're just trying to gin up race hatred of the Police yet again. And I can't do anything about it."

"But we cannnn." drawled Chief Moynahan. "Commander Muscone and I will be spearheading a Press Conference this morrrrning..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After watching the KFXU broadcast in my office, I said "You are correct, Green Crowbar. And the great Rush Limbaugh was spot-on when he called the Media the 'Drive-By's. That's what they are."

"Rush Limbaugh was a great American Patriot." Teresa said. "He deserved that Presidential Medal of Freedom he received."

"Yes. Yes he did." I said most agreeably.

Cindy got up to go. "Y'all can reminisce about Rush without me. I'm going to go reminisce about the Queen..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00am, Monday, September 13th. Detective George Newman looked sharp in his Duty Dress uniform as he walked into the Press Room behind Chief Sean Moynahan, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, and Captain Damien Thompson. The Chief was also in his Duty Dress jacket, while Teresa and Damien wore light blue shirts with the black narrow sash belt over their right shoulders and attached to their gunbelts at the left hip.

The room was fairly full of reporters. Part of the mood was wondering what this was about, and part of it was to find a way to turn the narrative around to attack the Police; in other words, many of the reporters were spoiling for a fight.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the Town & County Police Chief." said Captain Thompson by way of introduction. Everyone was surprised that the Press remained orderly and did not begin relentlessly shouting questions.

"Thank you for coming." said Chief Moynahan. "We have called this Press conference to set the record straight on some very severe misreporting by certain members of the Media, and I hope you will begin reporting the facts accurately and without bias going forward."

Nothing was said, but the sense of increasing hostility in the Press rose sharply, and was almost palpable. The Chief continued: "Lieutenant Jerome Davis and Detective George Newman were recently moved to new positions. These transfers are technically lateral moves, but Lieutenant Davis's move could be considered almost a promotion, while Detective Newman's move is in no way a demotion."

"Furthermore," said the Chief, "while the Press has unerringly realized that both Officers are black, the color of their skin did not factor into their transfers in any way. If these excellent Officers were white or Hispanic or anything else, we'd have made the same transfers. The only color involved in these actions are Police Blue."

Chief Moynahan: "The attempts by the Press to gin up a racial discrimination issue out of this is an insult to these Officers, their previous and current positions, their fellow Officers, and the Town & County Police Force. I won't hold my breath waiting for an apology from you, but one should be forthcoming if you have a shred of integrity in your beings. Commander Croyle, would you like to say a few words?"


"Thank you, Chief." said Teresa as she came up to the lectern. "As the TCPD Operations Officer in charge of the Precincts and the Uniformed Officers assigned to them, I am extremely happy to have the 1st Precinct Lieutenant position filled by Lieutenant Jerome Davis. His qualities of leadership are both proven and exceptional, and this move will not only benefit Lieutenant Davis's professional development and expertise, it will make the TCPD even better... if that's possible for the best Police Force on earth."

Teresa: "To those who are telling the absolute lie that this move is somehow a demotion, I'm here to tell you that adding the experience and leadership of the Precinct Lieutenant position to the experience and leadership of the Detective MCD Division will make Lieutenant Davis a very strong candidate for the next Police Captain position that comes up. This is an opportunity, for him and for us. And I won't speak for him, but maybe the fact that this -is- an opportunity is one reason Lieutenant Davis volunteered for the transfer."

Teresa: "And finally, as a former Vice Squad member and once it's Lieutenant and leader, I took great personal offense at calling Detective Newman's transfer to Vice a demotion. I will be remembering those dishonest insults... and which filthy reporters made them."

Mic drop. Teresa just stepped away from the lectern, leaving a silent but deeply furious Press standing there. The Chief came up and said "Lieutenant Davis is performing his new doooties, but Detective Newman is here and wants to make a statement. Detective?"

George Newman acted (if it was an act) like he could not get to the microphone fast enough. I'm sure the rabidly racist Press was stunned that he spoke very well, articulately and without 'uh' and 'ah' gaps as he ripped them:

"I want to say first that a lateral transfer between MCD and Vice is not a demotion either way." he said. "We cross-train a lot, we work with each other and with Intel Branch, and we know we are one Police Force. The attempts by the dishonest Media to create divisions within us are both malicious and insulting."

"Second," said Newman, "I was transferred because I asked to be transferred. I did not ask because I'm black, but because I wanted to be in Vice and felt I could best contribute to the Police Mission by being in Vice. And fortunately Commander Troy and the Chief, who constantly work to make our Police Force the very best, agreed with me and transferred me. There was no racial component in any of this, any at all. Any questions?"

It was spoken as challenge, and the Press sure took it that way, and were resolved to humiliate Newman. The first question was from Tim Sioban of KSB: "Detective, why did you allow yourself to be used as a pawn to help Commander Donald Troy attempt to meet diversity requirements after the TCPD's last failed civil rights audit?" (Author's note: 'Believer', Ch. 03, for that audit, and what the Iron Crowbar said during it.)

Newman replied: "Didn't you hear what I just said? This was my request to be transferred, and no one suggested it to me before I made it. And it had nothing to do with race nor civil rights, nor audits."