Good Enough - Bluetooth Expose

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Objection. Calls for her opinion."

"Your honor, I merely want Mrs. Capeli's thoughts on the question - not any real "what is in his heart" factuality. We all know that is not possible. Who better to give an informed opinion than a spouse?"

"Sustained. Get on with it."

"Did Mr. Capeli ever state to you or in your hearing that he was glad Mr. Leary was dead?"

"No, and I absolutely do not think Jake would have been angry enough to kill James if James had still been alive. Jake is such a kind and gentle man. He was hurt, very hurt - by my betrayal, my lies and disrespect. But he never came across to me as very angry - other than very short outbursts directed always at me, not Mr. Leary, and even that soon ended."

"And yet Mr. Capeli is still not sleeping with you. Why do you think that is?"

"Because he no longer trusts ME with his heart, his feelings. It's not that I don't trust him or fear him. I'd sleep with him right now in front of the court if he would have me."

The judge gaveled the court back to order after this answer.

"Mrs. Capeli, do you know if your husband ever killed anyone while he was a Marine and in combat situations?"

"No. We never discussed his time in the Marines very much. Especially not his combat experiences. I wasn't that interested after merely assuring myself Jake was OK mentally and emotionally with his own history. I never saw any indications this wasn't the case."

"Would it surprise you to know that he had almost certainly killed enemy combatants during combat? That he had medals attesting to this fact?"

"Objection. Irrelevant. Combat history is not prior criminal behavior and has no bearing on this matter. Unless the esteemed prosecutor is going to argue that Mr. Capeli was acting under legal orders by an authorized command figure in this killing?"

"Alright. Sustained. Both of you stop sermonizing. Jurors, please disregard the prior question and the inference Mr. Capeli has killed people in combat. It has absolutely no relevance to this charge, whether true or not. Mr. Jennings, are you about through with this witness?"

"Yes, your honor, for now."

"Mr. Diaz, any questions? About how long do you think cross will take? It's close to 4PM now and about time to wrap it up today."

"Just one question, your honor."

"OK, proceed."

"Mrs. Capeli, has Jake ever struck you or physically abused you in ANY way?"

"Absolutely not!"

"Not even after Jake learned you had been unfaithful to him your entire marriage?"

"Not even then. He...yelled about a few things...called me some names...but never raised a hand."

"Thank you, Mrs. Capeli. That's all, your honor."

The next day the prosecution tried to enter my Marine combat records into evidence. The judge absolutely quashed that. Then the prosecution rested, undoubtedly waiting for the defense and hoping against hope something broke their way.

It wasn't happening.

Judge Cavil had had enough - and he wasn't shy about stating his opinion.

"Alright. Come to order. In all my years on the bench I've never seen a more incompetent prosecution and any greater prosecutorial overreach. I'll save the defense even asking. My judgement right now is a directed summary verdict of "not guilty". Jurors, thank you for your own service and attention. You are all excused now and I do apologize for all this waste of time."

Of course Mr. Jennings was very upset at this verdict and also very vocal.

"Your honor, I strenuously object. I will be taking your decision here for appellate review."

"Be careful, now. Consider what you do here Randall. There just is no evidence presented that ties the defendant to this crime. In fact, there might very well be cause for a civil suit for malicious prosecution. Mr. Leary and Mrs. Capeli's affair together is a two-way street. One could easily assume this prosecution has ulterior motives - rather than merely "where the evidence leads" - because you have SHOWN no evidence. Even IF the jury had returned a conviction after everything played out - other than a sudden confession by the defendant - I would be shocked if an appellate court would not have overturned any such conviction based on "reasonable doubt." My own decision is based solely on factual matters, as presented."

Diaz was all smiles. So was my wife. We hugged each other in the courtroom.

It was basically over, as Diaz quickly explained. This was a slamdunk and no way any appellate court in the USA would overturn this verdict. I was free and I HAD got away with murder. Even if Jan now confessed her own untruthfulness I was protected by "double jeopardy", at least from US Federal prosecution again. It was just possible the State of Georgia might try me, but they would need a lot more than Jan's confession I DID actually know about the affair before Leary's murder. They still had no physical evidence or credible challenges to my alibi. And who could believe a liar - someone who would claim she perjured herself once but NOW was telling the truth? Diaz would eat her alive in that scenario. Reasonable doubt squared.

So, what now in my life and marriage?

Jan and I just went quietly home and resumed our in limbo existence.

We were still polite and pleasant around each other and especially when Kaylie was around.

After about a week I suggested we spend some time alone talking.

Kaylie went to visit Jan's mom - her grandmother.

We sat together in the swing on our screened in back porch.

"So, why didn't you take Mrs. Leary's offer?" I asked.

Jan looked neither shocked nor even surprised.

"Who says I didn't?" and she actually smiled at me. "Are you spying on me? If so, why don't you already know?"

Good questions.

"Maybe I do know and just checking on your honesty. Oh wait, do you even know what honesty is?"

She stopped smiling and got a serious look on her face. She stroked my cheek with her hand and said very seriously, "Yes. I know what honesty is, now, Jake. And I will never be dishonest with you again. Ever. Not even polite little white lies how you still look in just as good shape as when you were an active Marine. OK?"

"Fine. So what really happened between you and Mrs. Leary?"

"I didn't take her offer, per se. I made her a counter offer and she accepted. Kaylie's economic future was to be assured as long as you were officially charged with the crime, never mind conviction outcome. Kaylie's future is very much assured, so are any other kids we might happen to have. Oh, and she also covered Diaz's expenses."

Wait a minute. "How did you get me prosecuted?"

I figured the US Attorney probably had us wiretapped and otherwise was keeping tabs on both of us. I just might have let some things slip out that I was SURE you had something to do with my "true love's" demise, and I would say some pretty damning things if forced to testify but only under oath on the stand...I guess good old Randy bought it. I never hinted at anything like this during his official interrogation sessions. I guess he was a gambler and rolled the dice.

"But once he actually charged you, all the other PI's gave up on Jeanette as a suspect - and she already has her first $10 million from Elkhorn Life and will get the rest from James' estate in just three more years. She thanks you a bunch, actually. If you ever need any loans I'm to give her a call. She really seems to like me and actually loves Kaylie and wants Kaylie and her kids to be friends. Please don't think that I am rubbing it in but they are half-siblings. And it is sometimes nice having friendly if weird kind of relatives with money. But what about us, Jake - is there any chance at all for a continued us?"

Well, that was the question. Life's never perfect, but sometimes it's good enough - and good enough IS good enough. I was forced into a kind of reconciliation with Jan because, well, because I killed her lover. But now I was totally free from that yoke and I could divorce Jan and move her right on out of my boring and staid life.

Maybe boring isn't all it's cracked up to be...and just no damn way I was missing Kaylie growing up and making her the least bit unhappy because Jan and I couldn't live together in peace and harmony.

So, screw it. And screw Jan because she IS just so damn screwable. And I'm NOT a wimp or cuckold. And the last man that tried that on me in deed and word is dead. So, anons out there, beware.

THE END

Epilogue.

One year later Kaylie's sister Jeanette Marie was born.

Three years later Jacob Paul joined our boring, happy family. Jan has her own shingle out now as more a hobby than anything else. And I'm still just planin' and stainin' wood when I'm not Mr. Mom.

Life's good...enough.