Good Neighbors Ch. 138

Story Info
Surprise #2 set up, a little heart to heart.
1.1k words
4.94
2.6k
00

Part 139 of the 189 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/27/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Azuldrgon
Azuldrgon
408 Followers

Caterers. That was the excuse I thought of to have Aubrey use for a scapegoat. Still, it bought me time to get to the jewelers. I was almost there when Matt called.

"Hey bud, where are you at?"

"Headed to Pierre's. Had to purchase a necklace."

"Why?"

"Dude, she's very intelligent."

"And has you wrapped around her finger I see."

"The necklace was a fail safe to surprise her tonight if the ring didn't work."

I could hear his apprehension on the other end.

"We have a meeting with the caterers at eleven. That's two hours away. Will you be able to make it?"

"Definitely. Pierre's is two minutes away. Then I'll be on the road."

"Dude, you are crazy about this woman, aren't you?"

"You have no idea man. She's worth the effort."

It was on that note that he ended the call. It was fortunate because I made it to Pierre's at that point. He already had the door open and rushed back inside. He walked out with another jewelry box. He smiled and we shared a hug before I was already on the road. I was very fortunate the roads were relatively empty, and the speed limit was seventy. I made it back to the office with about five minutes to spare. Matt was already waiting near the front door when I walked up.

"You have it?"

"Of course. Why do you think I recommended Pierre for your ring?"

"Good point. So, what did Aubrey tell you about the caterers?"

"Paleo."

"That was the excuse she used."

"Well, we're doing basics. The folks who reserved their spot had no dietary requirements."

"That's good. Last thing I want to do is snack on nuts and seeds."

He looked at me and smiled. It was then the caterers arrived. As they saw the conference room we would use as the dining area, they were impressed by the room, even down to the tables already being set.

"So, what time will you be setting up?"

"Party starts at seven, we'll be here by four."

"Perfect, Leo's assistant will let you in and we'll be here around six for any last-minute issues."

"Of course, Mr. Masters."

We both headed to our cars when Matt looked at me funny.

"So, what are you planning tonight?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are you proposing?"

"Dude, it's too soon."

"Well, you worked a long time on Missy."

"That was different. She wasn't mourning the death of a previous husband either."

He paused for a moment.

"Dude, I'm sorry."

"It's alright. Moving in with her was a bit of a gamble."

"Wait, you moved in with her?"

"Yeah, she's my next-door neighbor. Plus, I was over her house a bunch anyway."

He had a huge smile on his face.

"She has really changed you, Leo. When it comes to her, your senses seem a bit less acute."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Matt looked me in the eye.

"She has seen you at your worst and didn't run. She has been the secret of your latest success when it came to handling stuff here. HR told me about those three who rushed you demanding raises when you came back and what you did initially. I didn't mind that. But when you went back and did all the legwork after without making HR do it and then talking to them personally, that was a different Leo. You are becoming a better man because of her. Maybe you need to have the conversation with her, but I think tonight you should lay it all on the table."

I looked him back in the eye and smiled.

"We'll see. Meanwhile, she's waiting at home."

"You mean her....oh, I get it."

He smiled at that last remark. I got into my car and started driving, hoping that the girls were alright. As I neared the house, I saw Aubrey getting in her car to start driving the other way. She waved to me as she pulled out the driveway. I pulled in and was headed inside when I heard my neighbor crying. I quickly opened the door and ran to her before I saw why. It was a letter from Mitchell's pension provider. Her checks would not be arriving until April. I held her tight against me before she stopped crying.

'How am I supposed to live without this for four months? I mean they'll send a check to make up for it in April, but still. How is a girl supposed to live on just SSI in this town?"

I kept holding her. Her question had a very easy answer. The problem is the answer was not what she was looking for. I kept holding her while she let out her sadness until she pulled back and looked at me.

"Maybe I can move in with my sister. That way I can put the house on the market and..."

I kissed her deeply to stop her from talking. She kissed me back before we both released.

"No, Leo. I'm not going to..."

"Sweetheart, if you need to move, there's a lovely house next door."

"No, Leo. You need a woman who is.."

"You. I need you."

She stopped talking. She just stood there quiet before I led her to the couch.

"You don't have to move. You can stay here if you wish. Or we can live next door. Either way, I need you with me."

"Leo, I'm not in the same age bracket as you."

"I'm not in the same hot bracket as you. But you tolerate me anyway. I am not going to let you get away just because of a setback. Don't think of this as charity because it's not. I am being totally selfish when I say I need you with me."

She looked at me and smiled a little.

"To be honest, I need you too. Are you still giving me the promise ring tonight at the party?"

"I'd rather give it to you now."

She watched as I pulled the ring out of my pocket. I looked her in the eyes and smiled.

"Should I get on one knee?" I asked.

"It's a promise ring."

"I never gave a promise ring to anyone before."

She smiled.

"What if I told you that I think of it as more?"

I stooped to one knee.

"What are you suggesting, Amor?"

She took my hand and held out her other one so I could place the ring on it. She then kissed me full on the lips. She then looked into my eyes.

"I am saying that whichever way you intend this ring to be for, I say yes. It's up to you to determine which way that is. Meanwhile, we have a party to dress for. Your tux is in the closet, and you need a shower, Romeo."

As we both headed to the bedroom to get ready, my mind was on her words and Matt's words. There's something telling me I needed some time to make the right decision. I was just hoping I had time to think about it later that night.

Azuldrgon
Azuldrgon
408 Followers