All Comments on 'Gosford Bloody Tanner's Fault'

by Spencerfiction

Sort by:
  • 130 Comments
Xzy89c1Xzy89c1over 3 years ago
So much dialog...

Stopped after three pages and skipped to last half a page. You are so wordy that your stories are tiring to read. An editor devoted to reducing the uneeded points would help the story immeasurably. As far as plot points, he just took off on his kids? What a horrendous person? She was raped, but did not go to police? Even though she saw husband catch them? Not buying what she is selling. Sounds more like she was seduced....

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Moron

The guy is a total moron. Needs to get his head out of his arse and stop feeling sorry for himself

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 3 years ago
does anyone write a story where its

actually the wife's fault anymore?

hobie1010hobie1010over 3 years ago
Reading this sucked

A long story with a crappy ending

TajfaTajfaover 3 years ago

She was drugged and raped and he is a total prick. I admit I skipped from page 4 to 10 but I did think he would actually see what an idiot he had been. Leaving his wife and children without actually finding out what really happened. If he had he could have had the rapist charged and supported his wife. The writing is very good but I didn't like the story for reasons stated. 3 stars for the writing.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 3 years ago

Interesting story!

5

ForensicFossilForensicFossilover 3 years ago
Yes, But...

I am a romantic at heart and strongly lean towards reconciliation. This was well-written and quite humorous in places... But, whether he be British, Laotian, Nigerian, or from Uzbekistan, a man who leaves his three children and avoids any contact with them for five years because of something his wife did that he never discusses with her is scum. It is hard to empathize with scum.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

no not the end needs a second chapter where they do stay together

lovemesomephillylovemesomephillyover 3 years ago

Too long and the ending was vert unsatisfying.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
one of the most selfishly pathetic characters...

...i have ever come accross... treats his wife with such disdain..never giving her a chance despite all proof that not only was she drugged and raped .. she also got the rapis Tanner fired...

I have not yet come across a more immature human being with the mental faculties of a one year old... while running away from his wife is his problem ..running away from ur little kids is so so un fatherlike... kids dont need money..they need parents. He allowed his own insecurities to destroy their world.. destroy his spouse ( whose only fault was to trust a colleage) and continued punishing them all in a truely selfish manner

i feel Amanda would have been better of to divorce this piece of immature shit and get a life..Its definately no coincidence that both mothers hated him... mothers can make out an immature selfish clod who is worthless as a parent husband and human being from miles away..

the ending can only lead to grief for Amanda and the kids when he will again allow his selfishness and fears to loud his judgement and run away at a later date!

PowersworderPowersworderover 3 years ago

What the hell kind of ending was that? You left everything between Amanda and Jim unresolved!

2* for ruining a decent story by not bothering to finish it properly.

NIGHTW1NGNIGHTW1NGover 3 years ago
4 Stars for me

You are a good writer,Spencer. I just didn’t like the ending is all. Please keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Oh FFS!!!!!

10 pages of longwinded, repetitive, unedited garbage and you leave it like that?

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Nobody likes cliffhangers

Would be 5* with an ending. Telling her side and finishing the story would fix it.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodleover 3 years ago
I stopped reading on page 3.

This was just a pile of shit with a deadbeat father who didn’t just leave his cheating wife, but abandoned his 3 children without even a single word to them and you want us to feel sorry for him? He’s a piece of shit.

Amanda claims she was drunk and drugged and didn’t know Tanner was Fucking her? Did she call the police? Did she have a rape kit performed on her? No? Then let’s not pile more bullshit on this.

Lastly, and this pissed me off. Amanda is petite, stands barely 5’ tall with 32A tits. You literally described her as a 12 year old girl you sick fucking piece of shit. I don’t know how you figure you can slide your pedophilic fantasies in her without being noticed but you can go fuck your self.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I like your story, very much!

BUT, (I know one shouldn't start with word but, but...) I hate your main character, with a passion.

Give it a go (not that he has anything to lose), or cut the cord and go......

No, he is sitting on the fence doing nothing.

I dislike people like that very much!

PS: maybe ch2 will help?

DirtySingleMomDirtySingleMomover 3 years ago

Over all the story was well written though I think a little too long. I can't say that I particularly liked the main character it had me wondering Are all Brits wimps like this? Like his Father rather than face the problem he runs away from it. The only partially redeeming quality he has is sending money back to his kids. Even then he does it pretty much incognito. Amanda really should have kicked his wimp ass to the curb. She was raped and all this coward could think was poor me. Even after he knew he maintained the same attitude He showed total disrespect by banging a skank in her home as she's trying to help him recuperate. I truly hate men like this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
You won't get the score you deserve on this because of...

the length and ambiguity at the end. Nevertheless, the plot is quite creative and the the character development is simply excellent. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Mixed reactions toward the end. Was Mark also a ‘make you jealous’ ploy? You went out of your way to explain John but no clarification there. Mixed reactions because (since he was banging the redhead in their house and no telling how that would have turned out if not her being pregnant from the previous guy) she has every right to explore their now-official separation. But you had set her up as a martyr before that point. Then she has an overnight with Mark. Then overexplaining the mention of John... it just muddled it all up. Mandy was the only sympathetic character until the last couple of pages and it may or may not be fair that seemed to change at the end. Just... muddled.

lonewolf3307lonewolf3307over 3 years ago
Holy crap, Batman...

... That ending fell flatter than a pancake.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
....and ???

All that and no resolution, to be honest, if I was the wife I don't think I'd want him back, wimp, just make a decision ffs

BigJim48BigJim48over 3 years ago
Bloody!

RAAC! No! Hell no!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Wimp

For a firefighter James is a total wimp. Dude should have manned up and divorced Amanda after she fucked her boss. At least if he had divorced her following his recovery he would have a shred of self respect left. This dude is not sympathetic and deserves to have a miserable life since all he does is get manipulated by everyone that he knows.

And a law suit against the tattoo artists for assault and bodily harm for the tattoo.

breville1breville1over 3 years ago
Long, Drawn Out...Poor Ending

After persevering all 10 pages, I was really unhappy that you couldn't finish it off by them finally getting back together. You took us to the brink and left us frustrated. It was all coming together. Nevertheless, I liked the story.

Despite his affair with Sally, you broke that off with the arrival Geoff. You introduced Mark and indicated that Mandy was having an affair with him (spent the night out, presumably in bed with him). It appeared to be tit for tat vis a viz Sally. Then you bring in John who we learn was just to tease him. It gave me the impression that Mark might also have been a teaser but you didn't venture in that direction.. this didn't flow with the story for me. It would have fitted in with the fact that Mandy's intention all along was to get back with her husband.

So we get to the end and he is now in a quandry about what to do next. At this stage or when she explained that John was dreamt up as a teaser, if she had also stated that Mark was also a teaser, his decision would have been made, to get back together.

Yes, I feel strongly that you led us all the way, a long way, to reconcilliation and then left us hanging.

looking4itlooking4itover 3 years ago

I find it very disconcerting to read a 10 page story only to find it doesn't end. A lot of time and effort went into writing this developing the various relationships and characters and then you just throw it off the cliff. There was no cliffhanger simply fell off into the abyss. Very disappointing. I wondered about the lower score when I tapped on the link but I can surmise that others feel the same way I do.

AbctoyAbctoyover 3 years ago
Good read but.......

Good read but I don't like stories left off on the edge of a cliff.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Wow

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I'm confused

Mandy claimed she was drugged and raped, then on the last page she says she threw it all away. Was she lying about the drugging or just blaming herself for what hapoened? I liked the story up until that point. The ambiguity of what really happened leaves me unsure how to feel about the ending. I hope the author will clarify in the comments. So not score yet.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Your ending was pretty ironic.....

You went on so long with the main character wondering what to do, and it sounds like he couldn't because you couldn't. You ran out on an ending just as much as he did on his kids.

I did like it.... but was waiting to here the final resolution. Two people who just can't stop hurting, and hurting each other, because they are in love.

OTOH, do have to point out that your time sequence towards the end is a bit wacked. No way most of that happened, and Sally was 6 months.... that baby should have been a year old by the time the ending came.

lujon2019lujon2019over 3 years ago

so she finally admitted she was never raped, he aught to strangle the bitch to death

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
the last line

It added nothing to the story. I feel sorry for Jimbo. It is not Tanner's fault. It is not Mandy's fault. However, it is Jimmy Boy's fault. I read the whole story, and I have to say Jimmy is right up there with the other characters in the LW genre who wIll not take responsibily for their own actions. Jimmy either needs to play or take his ball home.

stevetishstevetishover 3 years ago

I certainly hope there is @ second part...

G1962G1962over 3 years ago
WTF was that!

You wore me out by page 4.You 0ver wrote and didn't progress.I skipped to the end.

Why run and not resolve anything? The wife was more likeable than the main character.

pepepilotpepepilotover 3 years ago

I really, really liked the story. Then I got to the ending. What a letdown! I hope that you have another chapter to tie up the ends before I come back and vote! Good character development, a good story that flowed well, then the crappy ending. And, as someone else asked, what is the change in Amanda's story? Has she been feeding us a lie for all of these years?

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Tired of stories where men act like little boys

Great story idea and good plot to develop. Totally spoiled by grown man whining and running away from the problem with his hurt feelings. Don't bother me with any facts or adult actions when I can whine and dwell on my hurt feeling like a 5 yr old.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Great story until the ambiguous end. No fair!

vickitvohiovickitvohioover 3 years ago

Ten pages of story and that ending gets you a 3* rating. Just re-title it “guy moping”.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Read it all, wish I hadn’t.

A very very dense, high effort piece. With all of the repetition, run on sentences, and general stream of consciousness, this work could have been pared down 2 to 4 pages. Just a minimal effort to make it more coherent and less of a dream-state would have probably taken my 3* up to a 4*, with a proper ending.

I don’t rate based on the shittiness of characters. The only decent characters are the 3 kids, the rest are worthless pieces of shit. Really hateful fucks.

~Enkidu

CaOldDogCaOldDogover 3 years ago
10 pages and I'm still not sure

What does Mandy mean when she says;

"Jimbo, I have loved you all my life, I have always loved you and I will always love you, you are my life!"

"Then why-"

"Why is because I was a stupid little girl who never grew up, who had everything she ever wished for, a loving husband, beautiful children, a family home of our own. I had it all," she sobbed and the tears came in a flood, "I had it all, the fairy tale and I threw it away."

OK did she really have an affair or was she drugged? She obviously still loves him and he her so why the uncertain ending after 10 pages?

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Need to Finish This!

Wonderful story. Well developed characters, and flowed very well. Please finish this! Frankly, this man deserves a happy ending!

Impo_64Impo_64over 3 years ago

I agree with @looking4it! Ten bloody pages and no solution found? In the end the story stays the same as in line one...so I can't rate it more than 1*

TechumsahTechumsahover 3 years ago

MC was a weak character. It was very confusing I kept reading to see if he would get it together...waste of a good start of a story. Basically ten pages of a weak as man with no confidence avoiding doing anything on his own. Tons of potential but fell short we did get to read gosford tanner 600 times though.

Rocky62Rocky62over 3 years ago

This guy is a whiner who doesnt seem to recognize his wife was drugged and raped, therefore innocent of cheating.

iameaseliameaselover 3 years ago

I agree with those who question the "I threw it all away"

And I agree with those who want an end to the story, 10 pages is far too long to leave it dangling in the wind.

Great story though, one of the better ones of late.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Saying she threw it all away ....

doesn't have to mean she wasn't raped. She let Tanner draw inappropriately close to her and allowed him to get her drunk.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
10 pages and no conclusion

Give me a break. I normally like your stuff but this is ridiculous. What a waste of time.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989over 3 years ago
What was that

Like Jimbo, I feel as if I were ran thru a wringer. Ten pages and left with no real answers. Yes, I thought the story was too long and kept repeating the same theme. I did give it a 4 rating so I did like it, but Now I think both Jimbo and this author need mental help.

nestorb30nestorb30over 3 years ago

Uh, what just happened? This reminds me of a joke an English professor told me in college. " if you want your short story published in the New Yorker, leave off the last two pages..." so Mr. Spencer fiction, did you inadvertently submit this story to Literotica instead of the New Yorker? Because it is missing the last two pages.....

stoicfiendstoicfiendover 3 years ago

Author can carry on a write a story well enough but the plot and characters a just awful. And 9 pages for that rushed unresolved ending.....this story had no climax or even a mini-one. Its as limp and pathetic as the main character.

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitover 3 years ago

What a spineless beta-male....ugh.

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 3 years ago
As Resolved as it can Be

There were several complaints that the story didn't reach a real conclusion and that things were left up in the air. I'm not sure how James could possibly feel confident in what he knows or doesn't know. The key point is that he feels that his love for Mandy overpowers all else. He will have to live with his insecurity about what actually happened with Gosford until he is willing to accept that Mandy really does love him. What actually happened with Mark he'll never know, but that's also not important. What is critical is whether he can accept that the past is indeed in the past and he must move forward with whatever doubts he has until they're not important anymore. Just like his severe injury, time heals all wounds and time will heal the Gosford/ Mark episodes as he grows to trust again. I think it's incorrect that once cheated on you can never trust again. He will learn to accept the drug-induced rape/seduction story as long as Mandy does not give him reason to doubt her again. Perhaps our readers should understand that we are all capable of believing what we really want to believe. With a newly found friend in Madge and three loving children and a firehouse full of admiring colleagues and a community that believes in him as well as a loyal and attentive wife this episode will not be forgotten, but it will not always be the dominant thing in his life. 4*

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
WTF , Finish the story

Seriously after reading 10 pages of a good story you didn't bring it all together

And leave us hanging. It's not our ending to make, it's your sorry and I'd like to know

How you would end it. It could've been a solid 4.3.

Sincerely; PaPR

Bebop3Bebop3over 3 years ago

I'm only a couple of pages in, but why doesn't he just tell the hospital that he's estranged from her and she's not to be let in under any circumstance?

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Hmm

Ending?

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
10 pages is BS

Way to long. The first few pages said it all. “I WAS DRUGGED AND RAPED”

tvlg71343tvlg71343over 3 years ago

MC is really full of angst ... Time to meet his real bloody "villain" ... not G.Tanner but his own past since his dad leaving.

As most already stated the ending doesn't feels finished.

So make a part 2 and let us know how he is paying back Gerry and Mikey for the tattoo.

You seems to refer to the two women that the MC loved and have betrayed him a lot ... by coincidence I just re-read the story of Harry crabtree and Gina yesterday before this ... And you have copied nearly word by word from yourself here.

For me there are some holes in the story that didn't end up.

He speaks to Adam at the fire station and Adam points out the fact of a stable home situation as important factor. Next week he is getting a single room flat for himself and no talk between about the stability, really?

It is obvious he needs help with the ghost that haunt him and even with such massive accident as he had, no doctor ever send him for a mental review?

Overall he waisted so much time if not with Amanda but his kids, such shame. Hope u pick up the loose ends and if nothing helps with his mind ... Let him have a mug of Oktober honey might release his agony or raise little Jimbo again in time of need. Looking forward to it.

Enjoyed your storytelling, 5 no doubt

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
not sure.

ten pages, it seems the first and last paragraph could of said it all. fin! LOVE slap hapy papy #9

Hooked1957Hooked1957over 3 years ago

One of the better stories I've read in a while, but you really needed to put an ending to this after 10 pages.

Hooked

vazkor13vazkor13over 3 years ago
seriously ?

that guy doesn't know the meaning of drug and rape ?

Most of the time I Like SepncerFiction stories, but his MC in that one is really an asshole.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Need a better ending

Good story needs a real ending

Baldy74Baldy74over 3 years ago

Can't believe I just read 10 pages to have no ending either way. I'm normally a BTB type, but I do think they deserved to try again and be happy. Even though I thought this was well written i can't give it more than 2 stars as it just seems to stop.

kmreaderkmreaderover 3 years ago
Spencer Bloody Fiction’s Fault

Ten bloody pages read and finishes with “Can we...? Can we...? Can we? I just don’t know.”

JackallsJackallsover 3 years ago
Could

Have been 6 pages shorter.

GrimmerGrimmerover 3 years ago

Not bad but we like watching a tennis match. A non ending tennis match.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago
Blockbuster

I enjoyed your story pretty much all the way through, but after investing that much time in it I expected a blockbuster ending. We didn’t get that. Without the great finish, I could only do a *4.

MightyHornyMightyHornyover 3 years ago

Nothing worse, as a reader, than to realize you've essentially wasted 10 pages reading a incomplete story, with no promise of any forecoming resolution in a near future.

Bad enough that the MC was unlikable (yes, Jim has so valid reasons to explain why he is the way he is, but it doesn't really excuse his constant, unending whining! You're not happy with your lot, champ? Then DO SOMETHING ABOUT It!), but to drag this out for so long, without an an actual ending to it all?

Simple inexcusable.

I didn't understand the low rating this story got before I started on it - Spencerfiction is a quality writer, around here, and his efforts rarely disappoint. But this one... this is a tale is lost control of, full of unneeded repetitions, annoying characters, when the writer bothers to develop them (honestly,.. how could the kids had so little questions to ask their father about him abandoning them?), and no conclusion to speak of.

An OK read with a rush, unsatisfactory ending. Kinda waste my time, on this one.

UncleGrahamUncleGrahamover 3 years ago
Five and a Fave

It's not ordinary fiction......it's Marks&Spencer fiction!

Okay, if you're not a Brit, you prolly won't get that.

American translation: Simply The Best!

So glad there wasn't a conclusion. I would have been so sad to see him give in and crawl back.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Quit at page 3

First, can't stand the "strong man made weak in the skull by a manipulative woman" tales. Keep wanting to shake some sense into the fools. 'I'll tell them not to let you in.' But he didn't.

Second, and this applies to Aussie and American writers too, please bear in mind that LE is an internationally read site. What do doughty and half nine mean? And is there a difference between a full twelve month and a year?

Didn't finish, won't rate.

I'll try again with your next one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Perfect ending

Who knows what comes in the long term future, but the immediate future is going to be them slowly making up. The male charachter clearly needs to suck it up or completely disappear again, not just for his mental health which had teatered on the edge, but because he is a good man and deserves love of a good woman. Good un. Nice to have a story in the right catergory for a change, no cucks or sluts

JJ

CaOldDogCaOldDogover 3 years ago
She threw it away?

Is her getting drugged and raped her fault? Jimbo leaving his children for five years, what kind of wimp is he?

TeggeTeggeover 3 years ago

Great story! Needs a finish.

BigDee44BigDee44over 3 years ago

He’s is a troubled person and not very logical. He should have had counseling.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Drugged? Raped? But was she?

Look at it from where he was standing.

She had been tearing him down for years showing that she was unhappy with him as a mate.

When he walked in on her in bed with the other man she was vocal, showing her pleasure during the sex, which she never did with her husband through all the years they were married. This gave him the strong impression that it was not their first time together.

If she was actually drugged and raped where were the drug test results?

Where was the prosecution of the rapist?

If she really wanted to keep her marriage those are the kind of things a husband would reasonably expect. Otherwise how can he tell it was not consensual cheating?

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Sometimes the reading skills of some commenters amaze me

"Drugged and raped"....that's what she says, and it might be true. But this is a statement by a character (in real life, a person). People, and characters, often lie or shade the truth. In the absence of a police report and a toxicology test, the matter is ambiguous. Yes, she brought a sexual harassment allegation against Tanner, but that's a far cry from rape or sexual assault. It could well be that she decided to stop the affair after her marriage imploded, and he kept pursuing her so she claimed sexual harassment. It could be that she made the allegations to create a basis for claiming something consensual was not. It could be that she was drugged and raped, but for some reason only brought the sexual harassment charge. THE POINT, THOUGH, IS THAT THERE'S NO RIGHT ANSWER. In real life, as in the story, the situation is ambiguous on the facts given and would be to the husband. The author doesn't provide the definitive answer in the story, nor is that a defect.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Dont waste your time reading this boring story

God, what a boring story.................in her last couple of sentences she as much as admitted that she was having an affair " I had it all and I threw it all away". He needs to dump the bitch....................

SithLord6969SithLord6969over 3 years ago

Complete rubbish

She cheated, he accepted lt and took her back. 1 star

robinhodrobinhodover 3 years ago

I'm surprised

by the fairly low score, and the criticism.

I found it to be a thoroughly good read.

The ending is perfect.

It's not quite worth a 5, but I've given it 5 to compensate.

I had only one concern, which is that the author paints his main character as a miserable curmudgeon, yet everybody likes, or loves, him. Could work I suppose.

tangledweedtangledweedover 3 years ago

While this may be a more realistic story than most, the ambiguous ending likely killed any remaining hope that it would get any support from the readers. The quasi-reconciliation failed to address the issues that led to the cheating and breakup and they failed to either BTB or RAAC, a sure fire way to lower your rating.

The intellectual side of me (a very minor side) can recognize that exorcising all these psychological demons can take a long time, if it can be done at all. There is not always a snappy resolution that ties up all the threads nicely. For those reasons, an ending like this one is far more likely. Unfortunately, my cave man side (a slight majority) wants to see sex and violence and it never got either one.

Popcorn_and_StoriesPopcorn_and_Storiesover 3 years ago

I noticed your story when it was first posted and I kept an eye on it so I could check it out when I finally got a moment. It's so well-written, but what I like the most is that Jim's character is drawn really realistically. He's a good person with flaws and doubts, which I always appreciate in a character. I also like that he got a little more financially stable towards the end. He deserved that break. Speaking of the ending, I see I'm in the minority compared with some other commenters, because I found it satisfying. I don't require a set-in-stone ending to enjoy a work of fiction. As long as an ambiguous (or even a bittersweet/tragic) ending makes sense in context of the narrative, there are no complaints from me. Great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Good job

A wee bit long winded. How ever the story line is great. Well developed characters. Keep up the good work

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Just a horrible story!

What complete waste of time reading this story. If you are going to write a horrible story with no redeeming characters at least have the decency to make it short and save us all some time. Anyone who can ignore his children for 5 years deserves to rot in hell. The main character is absolutely garbage and a horrible person. I kept hoping he would die in a fire and leave the insurance money to his family. Last comment for any aspiring author. DONOT use lack of communication as a plot device I.e. “I turned my cell phone off and deleted her messages”. Having the main characters not communicate to build tension is just plain LAZY story telling. It just shows you are not creative enough or to lazy to create engaging and relevant dialogue. Do better.

dob092095dob092095over 3 years ago

After 10 pages, no ending. What a disappointment. You really need a proper ending. I believe JPB sometimes ends that way, saying ‘supply your own ending’. If I wanted to do that, I could imagine my own story from the beginning and I wouldn’t need to read yours. You really need to end this.

BearcatfozzyBearcatfozzyover 3 years ago

Very good story, for some reason I thought it had an “O Henry” vibe to it. A short follow on story letting us know how things ended up would be nice. At first I thought husband overreacted by leaving but learning how she verbally disrespected him for a long time before incident made it more reasonable. Tough having story where father goes “no contact” with kids, but you did a good job explaining his feelings on matter. Fact that he sent money to help was good for him. One point of confusion was on him catching her in the act. Did he confront and hit her lover, drag her to car and argue with her in car as written early in story or did he simply walk away from scene as written (implied?) later in story? Again, thanks for an enjoyable read!

someoneothersomeoneotherover 3 years ago

Well-written but I got tired of reading about nothing. I see a guy who abandons his wife after she was basically raped, and then couples that by abandoning his four children, without even attempting to find out the facts. Total asshole. Mandy should have divorced him. Then we have ten pages of meanderings that take so long to develop that I was too bored to have any interest.

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyover 3 years ago

Lot of repetition that became boring very quickly. From what I read he is a candidate for cuckold success.

muskyboymuskyboyover 3 years ago

The end??? You have to be kidding. I read all ten pages and no resolution? I enjoyed the slow reconciliation but you just got tired of writing and couldn't finish the story? So disappointed. Please finish this with a happy ending in something less than 10 pages.

NitpicNitpicover 3 years ago
Dragged

This story was dragged out and still left with no ending..Why on earth Amanda would want to get back with an arsehole like Jim is beyond me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Much of the writing in this was actually pretty damn good. That is why I am sad to say that by the end, I did not like this story very much. The reason being the parts of the writing that are sorely lacking in quality.

The main culprit is the mostly static nature of the characters. The only character that had a noticeable transformation was the mother in law - a minor character.

The main character started out as honorable, stubborn, largely unable to process or communicate his feelings, and deeply in love with his wife. By the end he was honorable, stubborn, largely unable to process or communicate his feelings, and deeply in love with his wife.

Mandy started out fickle, proud, childish, caring, and deeply in love with her husband, and ended the same way.

The son was a carbon copy of his dad, only with fewer wounds, and never changed.

The daughters were melded together as a single superficial entity the whole way through.

No development at all.

As a couple, Jimbo and Mandy were, in spite of the mutual love, horribly incompetent.

Jimbo never seemed to consider anything Mandy said, stubbornly sticking to his own uninformed impressions and fantasies. Not once did he ever tell her how he felt about her, or what he really, truly wanted from her. He claimed that she knew, but if she did, it would have to be pure guesswork on her part. I don't think it was because he was a coward, even though it does look like it. I think it was because he simply didn't have the skills.

Mandy also seemed very closed off, never clearly informing Jimbo of her wants and needs. Her way of communicating was often that of a middle school girl, trying to gain her husband's affection by making him jealous for instance. On top of that, her explanations of events were disjointed, sometimes contradicting, and most often lacking context. That made her very hard to understand, and I imagine impossible for Jimbo.

The end result is that, at the end of the story, I have no idea what actually had happened to them. Not with Gosford, with Mandy's attitude towards Jimbo in the preceding years, with the family during Jimbo's absence, with Mark, or any of the other hinted at happenings.

Even near the end when Mandy gives her admission or explanation, or whatever it was - the one that ends with "I had it all, the fairy tale and I threw it away."

What was she talking about? What exactly did she do to kill the "fairy tale"? Does she mean when she was raped by Gosford? Or is this some weird, half assed admission that it was in not rape, but an affair? But if it wasn't as she had described, who did she get fired for sexual misconduct? Was she talking about something completely different? Or was everything a lie the whole way through?

There is no feeling of resolution here. No good or bad ending. Just static characters, doomed to continue this half existence where nobody are close. Nobody ever explains anything, but what would be the point? Nobody ever listens, either.

This, to me, is a big no-no in writing. Unless the author is really clever about it, and making a point. But even with static major characters, the story still has to evolve somehow. There still has to be a conclusion, even if it is that everyone is trapped forever with no chance of escape. Unfortunately, that isn't the case in this story. It just ends. There was no point that I could determine, and thus, no point in reading it.

And that is sad. Sad because this author isn't without skill. But like his or her characters, seem to be lacking some of the critical ones, at least at the time of writing this. I really hope this author will improve, and not just stop, because there is potential there.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I got halfway through page 3 and was thinking this is panning out to be a really great story as with stories that are this long I didn't want to get to the end and find out it I had invested a couple of hours reading a story only to get to a sad ending so I jumped to page 10. Guess what? It has a sad and ending. So disappointing when it had promised to be such a great well written story.

There's enough misery in the world so I prefer to have my fantasy world a happy place it I want to read misery all I need to do is pick up a newspaper. What a shame I was really enjoying this story.

TechumsahTechumsahabout 3 years ago

Can we get an ending to this one? Maybe a good one?

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyalmost 3 years ago

Who writes comments that are as long as the damn story! Sheesh

I loved the character development You really nailed that lack of being able to express true feelings to someone you love. It really carried the story and 10 very long pages. Still not sure where the almost incest idea came from. Left field wed say in the ‘states. The ending was a surprise bummer but hey it was your story amd you owned it.

etchiboyetchiboyover 2 years ago
Wow. Half sister (or so MIL thought). That’s a twist.

And at the end ED, so he’s still down with the relationship.

Storm113Storm113over 2 years ago

Gave it a one. I always give unfinished stories a one. I give a lot of ones to JPB. He's really bad about not finishing. I think he really enjoys all the bitching we do because of it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Epilog needed.

Cracker270Cracker270over 2 years ago

Ending killed it for me until then it was in the running for one of my best Evers.

QuintiusQuintiusover 2 years ago
Nope

You had me with this story until page 5. I was right there with you, feeling the same injustice Jim did about his situation while also disliking him for being cowardly and an awful father. It was a compelling story with an interesting build up between two VERY flawed characters. Then page 5 happened and he told Sally, a girl he was basically fine drifting away from a few pages before, that he loved her even though he completely didn't. After that the story was just too stupid to bear. I could see exactly how it was going to pan out from then on. So I skimmed through to page 10 and I was right. Went from compelling to god awful. He's got ED, really?

What a shame. This had a lot of promise and, like many, many, many other commenters have mentioned, it was wasted and the ending was hugely anticlimactic. I'm glad I decided to skim because I felt like I'd wasted my time just reading the five pages I did with that ending.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

What, were you running late for something and had to finish the ending in a hurry? Wtf was that? At least pick a path.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Dude is a whiney bitch and will probably die alone wallowing in self pity and collecting cats or something instead of putting on his big boy pants and manning the fuck up or see a professional at least . He'll go back to being a dead beat dad and mind fucking the rape victim. And since he has the self esteem of an amoeba he'll never never again build relations with the opposite sex. Put a bullet in this dude already and put him out of his misery.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSpencerfiction@Spencerfiction
An old printer, typesetter, proofreader, local politician and activist. I write for pleasure only, an untrained writer too set in his ways to change or learn. I have courted and been wedded to the same impossible angel for over four decades, so I am an unremitted romantic. If ...