Green Rose of the Underground Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Eskiljundr. Our cave was in Svalland. Why?"

"Well. Humans send written words to each other. Letters. Like the letters in words. To speak to others who are far away. I thought perhaps you could write a letter, and send it home."

It felt like her heart had risen up inside her chest. The world suddenly swimming into focus. The rattling of the carriage. The thin strips of warm sunlight from outside the shaded interior. Gerard leaning back in the seat as it jostled. His eyes watching her, fingers running along the leather bound edge of the bench.

"How would it get there?"

"People take them. It is work."

Why was she even hesitating?

"Yes!"

Thix blushed at the sudden outburst of her voice and tried to control her excitement. "Yes, please Gerard. It would be... please."

"Alright. Tonight, when we stop."

The rest of the day crawled by. Thix managed somehow to sleep another hour or more when Gerard went back outside. Her body was beginning to feel a little sore from the constant bumping of the carriage. When Theo did decide to rest the horses beside a stream, Thix had taken up the previous offer and stretched her legs. She'd had to keep the hood over her head and mostly stared at the ground as she walked a circle around the carriage but it certainly helped. Then it was back inside again.

Finally, just before sunset, they stopped in a clearing among the tamed part of the forest. Thix could clearly see that it was frequented by other travelers. Strange carved stones stood in a ring around the campsite, a kind of barrier against the trees and wilderness beyond. There were old fire-pits clean and ready for new use. Theo and Gerard hadn't even needed to gather firewood. There were stacks of kindling and logs waiting for them. An axe rested on a tree trunk near the piles.

Thix waited for it to become darker before she got out of the carriage completely, but did leave the door open so she could watch Gerard and the driver set up two modest tents. Neither asked her for help.

She wanted to offer, but wouldn't have had any idea where to start. Instead, she observed as they set up the metal poles, and the coverings, and finally hammered spikes into the earth to hold everything down. Another length of fabric was set upon the grass beneath each, and then thick bedrolls put upon that. It all seemed... a bit excessive. Still, once the sky finally faded to a comfortable twilight, Thix was all too eager to get outside and inspect the elaborate camp the two humans had set up. Theo was working on the fire. Striking a piece of iron against flint to ignite a bundle of straw. Gerard was... holding his face in his hand and shaking his head. What was wrong?

He caught her looking up at him and seemed to struggle with explaining before finally smiling in what was becoming a familiar way. She was coming to think of it as his giving smile.

"I forgot. Only two beds. You will take one. No trouble."

Thix found herself staring in a mixture of disbelief and frustration. Yes trouble. Very much yes trouble. She was beginning to suspect there was something wrong in his head. She had to draw a line somewhere. It was here.

"No. Your bed. You sleep."

"Thix. Please."

"No 'Thix please'! You give too much! You want make my debt more!? You big stupid human."

There was that uncomfortable expression and she swore she could feel how much he would rather just be speaking Galtes to her, if only she could understand. Thix found herself rolling her eyes and pointed back at the carriage.

"I am small. I sleep there. No trouble."

Gerard opened his mouth as if he might say something, then slowly closed it. Thix heard Theo laugh from over by the fire and make some comment in Galtes that she couldn't even begin to understand. Gerard's cheeks actually became a little pink and he gave the other man the first truly nasty look she'd ever seen on his face. It was a little funny. Gerard shook his head and sighed.

"Yes, alright."

"How can I help?"

His eyes focused on her in confusion. "Help with what?"

Thix gestured around both of them. Gerard gave a brief look around camp and shrugged.

"I don't know. Nothing to help with."

Once more Theo shouted something out in Galtes. Gerard faced him, and after a moment nodded and raised a hand of acknowledgement. Theo rose, going to the carriage.

"There is a river nearby, you could help Theo gather water. Your eyes will be better in the dark. Keep watch."

The driver returned carrying a steel kettle and two canteens slung over one shoulder. The dark-haired man pointed down where the woodcutting axe lay near the fire.

"Take it. Keep guard."

Quite suddenly, Thix regretted asking how she could help. Theo wasn't very old, but he carried himself with a certain dangerous confidence that contrasted with Gerard's ease. She'd never paid too much mind to the blade carried at his waist, it just sort of fit there. She hadn't yet taken the time to consider why he was wearing it.

Thix followed Theo's lead down a path in-between the trees, past the engraved stones. Her eyes glancing at the strange symbols that crossed over them. She wondered at first if Theo was humoring her by asking for help, but as the sun yielded its light to the silvery moon, the man's steps became slower and more careful. Thix walked closer and kept her eyes out for any roots that might trip him or low hanging branches. She heard the burbling of water before she saw it. Round stones and pebbles, trees dipped their roots into the shallow currents.

Thix took the opportunity to wash her face. Maybe she would take the chance to bathe before they left in the morning, it was less chilly than she was used to. She appreciated how night had finally settled, no longer feeling the need to squint or be careful with her gaze. It was somewhat marred by paranoia.

What sort of things lurked in these woods? Was it foolish making camp at all? She only had stories of Svallic wilderness to go off of, and those sorts of tales were full of terrifying creatures. The vengeful dead of humans whose corpses would wander, driven by bloodshed. Giant wolves which ruled deep in the forest. Shapeshifters who drowned unwary travelers... Thix took a couple steps back from the water's edge and kept a closer eye on Theo until he had finished.

Carrying the filled kettle was a job for two, and Thix led the way back. One arm straining to balance the kettle, the other clutching onto the axe. It was likely better for Theo because her strides were shorter than his, and it gave him time to see where his feet were going. It wasn't so heavy, and they returned to find Gerard had constructed a metal frame above the fire where they could hang it.

Dinner was a plain, but not unpleasant soup. A bulb of garlic mashed up with some salt went into the boiling water, then a bundle of herbs wrapped in a gauzy cloth, and a handful of a powder she didn't recognize. Theo tore their bread that was just beginning to go stale into three pieces and placed each in a wooden bowl topped with very thin slices of cheese. Over which the garlic-soup was poured. Sitting on the short little stump by the fire, Thix savored every spoonful. The last few day had been filled with wonderful meals. She prayed as she ate. Something she had never done before her enslavement. It was a prayer of gratitude. Never again would she take for granted the simple but rich flavors of a well-cooked meal, nor the warmth and nourishment it provided.

Thix gave her best attempt at Galtes and smiled while displaying the empty bowl. "Thank you, Theo."

The young driver with his square features smiled and responded back to her. The words for 'you are welcome' were in there somewhere, amongst a couple others she couldn't grasp yet. He asked Gerard something to which he got a pleased 'yes' and went to the carriage, returning with a corked bottle and steel cups. The bottle was opened, poured, and the cups handed out. Thix sniffed at it curiously.

"Wine?" Gerard gave her an almost startled look.

"You've never had wine before?"

"I've drank mead, it's sweet."

"Well. Wine is not as sweet as mead."

Thix gave it a try and felt her expression pucker before she was able to stop herself. Theo started to laugh, and even Gerard was failing to keep his smile under control. She didn't know the word in Ruvic. It was... tart. She didn't know if she liked it, but wasn't about to be rude. She sipped daintily, surprised at the complexity of flavors beneath the sharpness. For a time they all drank in silence. Tasting the wine. Watching the fire. Gerard was the one who broke the stillness.

"Ah!"

Thix watched as he stumbled up to his feet and went to the carriage, perhaps a minute later returning with a wooden object. Gerard sat carefully on the carved log-bench he'd claimed as a seat and began... pulling apart the odd box. The front flipped downwards until it lay flat, two little wings seemed to unfold to the sides, and the top sort of folded backwards on top of itself. Only glancing at her for a moment Gerard waved her over to join him.

Sitting down next to him, she could now see that it was... sort of a craftsman's desk. Except the tools must all have been for writing. There was very clean white paper, and metal tipped ink pens. A glass bottle was held securely in a cloth strap and stopped with cork. There were colorful little blocks that were melted on the end. What appeared to be a cheap cloth streaked with black smudges.

Gerard carefully slid away one sheet of paper that almost glowed orange by the firelight and laid it upon the flat front of the desk. With equal care he uncorked the bottle and removed one of the pens from their cloth bindings.

"Well... how would you like to start?"

They were going to write a letter. Thix had never done that before. She didn't know where to start. It was probably obvious from the way she stared at the blank paper as if by magic the words would appear. It had been so long. What could she even say? Her family had never received such a thing before, would her first-father recognize it? Yes, probably. But... it came right back to it. How should she start? 'Hello, Mother, Second-mothers, first-father, second-fathers. It is Thix, and I am doing well.' That felt silly.

"Perhaps... something written in Goblin? So they will know it comes from you." Blessed Vorkah, that sounded so dumb. Wait, no. 'Written in Goblin' sounded dumb. The idea itself was good. Except... Thix's gaze finally caught the gentle offering of an ink pen in her direction. Gerard nodded shortly.

"I will teach. It is simple. Your hand?"

Thix shivered and felt her face warm from the gentle request. He was so close to her now too, their legs touching. Now that she was aware of it she could feel the firmness of his body against hers. Was once more aware just how tall and trimly built he was. Why did it appeal to her so? It was so different, so strange. She moistened her mouth and replied 'yes' in what she hoped was composed Galtes. It got one of those treasured smiles out of him, and even so delicately Gerard pried apart her four plump fingers and set the pen into position.

"Hold, like this."

His slender digits curled until the pen fit between her thumb and pointing finger, and the shaft rested upon the meat of her hand. Thix's hand was guided to the inkpot, the metal tip dipped inside, dabbed upon the side, and then finally to the paper.

"Gently, with even motion. Like this."

Oh Vorkah. Gerard was so close now. She could smell him. It was a heavy natural scent, mixed up with the fragrant oils he wore. No, she had to focus. Her name. There, that was simple enough. She composed the layered rune, so that "Thus-speaks-Thix-Un'Gholk" was laid out at the top right of the paper. It was a little jagged, and the ink made it stand out harshly and pointed in some areas and thick and drippy in others. Still, she could read it. Anyone else in her clan certainly could.

"I write, that I am writing this message."

"Very tidy. I would like to learn, some day."

She wished she could teach him. He was teaching her his language. The debt was certainly not in balance.

"If you like, I can write down the rest. You speak, I put in Ruvic."

It would be better that way. Silently, Thix handed back the pen. She didn't know enough words in her own tongue to convey what would be considered a clear or rationale message. The runes weren't really used in that way, except by nobility, or poets, or song-makers perhaps. They were more for... conveying ideas. You could read a rune for 'dangerous mine' and not need any additional information, because the explanation as to why it was dangerous would be built into the rune. It wasn't the same as talking.

Human languages though, were different. They wrote how they spoke, which Thix imagined could be much more detailed but must also take a lot of time. She shut her eyes so that she might have some helpful darkness within which to focus. It was very, very hard. Finally though, she resolved to just start talking, and hope for the best.

"I am sorry. I should not have gone away. I wanted to return home many times, but could not. I was... taken, and sold to a place far away. Now, I am..."

She thought hard how to explain in a modest way her current circumstances.

"Now, I am no longer a slave. A good man has found me, and returned my life to me. He is putting my words in Ruvic, so that Kun, my first-father may read them to you all. I am alive. I am well. I am learning many new things. I want very much to be home. First-Mother, First-Father, Second Mothers and Fathers, Khimx, Gharru... be well."

Gerard had stopped and hesitated in certain places, but as her words fell, the scratching of the pen followed. She leaned closer, peering over his arm to watch the Ruvic alphabet appearing smoothly over the paper. He did ask for help with the names. There was a certain loopy style to the way Gerard drew the words. His hand finally drew back and she was able to see the scrawling lines that had taken up half the page.

"Would you like to say anything else?" Thix thought about it. Before she could give a reply, Gerard added. "You may write to them again, when you want. We will write the location of my home on the outside. Perhaps you will receive a letter back."

She found herself staring up wide eyed at Gerard who stared back looking very happy indeed. She couldn't bring herself to believe that she might get a response. Even now that he'd said it.

"Tell them, I am going to the City of Lumis, in Galtes, and will return with many stories. I will... make my path."

Gerard nodded solemnly. It seemed he approved and finished scratching the final words. Muttering to himself for a few seconds, he turned to Thix with a somewhat more brittle smile.

"Now, for the difficult part."

It was difficult. There was a long and headache inducing conversation as Gerard tried to figure out where exactly the village near her home was, in what part of Svalland, and how it should be addressed. That led to a whole instruction on 'addresses'. Eventually though, it was worked out to the best of their ability and Gerard showed her how he could seal the letter with melted wax so that it would be clear the letter was unread. She didn't know why anyone would bother with reading such a letter, but committed it to memory anyway. Gerard took up a small metal tool and stamped upon the soft wax so that the appearance of a flower appeared, sealing the paper closed.

"I do not know if my family will see my words, but thank you."

"You are welcome."

Gerard handed her the letter to hold, cleaning and putting away his tools. It was strange, such a light thing... but it carried a little bit of hope inside. She was still feeling the paper and examining the floral seal when Gerard returned from stashing away the box.

Theo and Gerard chatted idly in-between their cups of wine. She wanted to join in the conversation, but was too tired to follow along. Thix felt the heart-hunger creeping up again. The bitter tight feeling creeping into her chest as she listened to their smooth Galtes. She couldn't keep Gerard all to herself, that would be wrong. Still... it tore at her insides. Deep, almost painful wants welled up inside her. Wanted to touch him. Feel Gerard's warmth in her body, and his skin upon her skin. Hear his voice, only for her. Thix drank more wine. Stared at her letter. Wondered if she would ever get the chance to tell her clan of Gerard and how they had been brought together. It was something to distract herself with at least. A little.

What was wrong with her? Was this how it was supposed to feel? Her heart ached and her insides felt empty. All this for a human man who she had known for little more than a week, and little enough about him besides. Not where he was from, or his family, or anything. Was she going mad? Was it something else?

"Thix?"

Ah. There was that concerned face of his. She tried to smile, but it felt forced and it was even hard to form words.

"I sleep. Tired. Thank you, for food, for wine."

Gerard nodded slowly. "Alright. You're very welcome. Goodnight Thix."

"Goodnight Gerard. Goodnight Theo."

She retreated to the carriage, there was some difficulty climbing up into it by herself but she managed and shut the door. Thix hadn't lied. She really was tired. Crawling onto a padded seat, Thix arranged her pillow and unwrapped the length of cloak so that it served as a blanket. Sleep came almost too easily.

-

It was cold, when Thix awoke. She had known worse. The bitter Svallic winters which could kill if you were unfortunate enough to get lost in them. There had been those nights in the old man's house when the fire went out and she curled up in a corner with the holey rag that had been her only protection, and those had been worse.

This was only enough to make her uncomfortable. Enough to shiver at. The cloak, soft and luxurious as it was, wasn't keeping her warm. She considered trading in the soft cushion of the folded blanket beneath her head and layering it over her, but no sooner had she thought of it than another urge came to her attention. She had to piss. It was not a chore she was looking forward to, but... laying down and shivering wasn't going to help. Thix decided not to wear the cloak outside for fear of getting it dirty, and knotted up the old gown she wore beneath about her waist before sneaking out of the carriage and into the night air.

Thix cast her eyes up to the moon and guessed that only a few hours had gone by. She ventured out to the edge of the forest and found an enclosed grouping of bushes, listening carefully for any motion in the wood. There was nothing. Small animals, the humming of insects, night birds, but nothing large enough to be worried over. She relieved herself, though it took some time to relax enough due to the cold and fear of the unknown. Once she was certain she had remained clean and dry, Thix made to return to the shelter of the carriage.

She stopped. The camp fire was reduced to small licking flames around the charred logs, and the flaps on the tents had been let down.

Thix told herself, very reasonably, that she was only getting a little heat from the fire before she went back to bed. It was a lie. Her eyes were instead locked on Gerard's tent, even as she crouched down by the embers for what warmth was left.

He had been so sweet, offering her his bed earlier. Surely he wouldn't refuse her if she joined him. Should she risk making a fool of herself, or return and endure the loneliness beneath the blanket? Thix found herself chewing fretfully at the back of her hand and realized she'd been staring intently at the flaps of the tent for a couple of minutes.

The aching need was back in her chest. Consuming her. What was she to do? Thix hadn't been taught... she didn't know what to do with heart-hunger, but it was unbearable. Just for tonight. She didn't think she would sleep otherwise. Like a drum, her pulse beat inside her ears and against the inside of her chest. Slowly, quietly, Thix crept towards Gerard's tent. Hardly needing to lean forward, Thix parted the cloth entrance-way and slipped inside.