Guardian of the Sacred Fire Ch. 09-Final

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You must fight to protect Anna." Azrael's voice said. "She is all that matters."

"You heard the man." Beast said.

"Agreed." Permaz muttered. He opened the door and was suddenly holding a battle axe. He ran out of the room and we all hesitated. Oriel soon followed after Bernael.

"Stay here." Bethor told Asherah.

"You don't have to fight; you are here to be protected." Midael said.

"I am a warrior; I have been for over 500 years. It's in my blood." He said and came up to me. "Protect her, please." He said. I nodded and he turned and left.

"Stay here Anna, if we fail the wards will protect you until morning when they will vanish." Midael said and went to the door. He looked back at me and I saw something in his moonlit eyes that I had never seen before. Fear. Adrian kissed my cheek and followed after him.

"Stay here Anna, if we fail Anna..." I muttered to myself and punched the wall.

"It's not your fault." Asherah said and went to close the door.

"Try and sleep." I told her as she climbed onto the bed.

"Can you tell me a story to help me? Bethor has since I was two."

"What kind of story?"

"Tell about what it was like before you came here."

"Boring." I answered.

"Tell me about your mother. My mom died when I was a baby."

"What about your father?" I asked.

"He left." She said quietly.

"My mother is the strongest, most beautiful person in my world. She has been through a lot in her life. She had my brother when she was 17 and me when she was 21. My father and she didn't get along to well and split up when I was 8. I lived with him until I was 17. Thanks to my step mother I didn't really have a relationship with her, but I did. She became my best friend."

"What happened?"

"I was attacked by a vampire and accidentally set my house on fire. He died and they thought it was me. My entire family thinks I'm dead and Midael thinks it's for the best. So they won't be in danger."

"Would you sacrifice your life for your mother?" Asherah asked her eyes intent on mine.

"Without a second thought." I said truthfully.

"I would like to know that kind of love. The closest thing is Bethor, but he's not motherly." She closed her eyes.

"Can you sing to me?" she asked.

"I'm not the greatest."

"I don't care."

I sang what came to mind, it was one of my favorite songs my mother used to sing to me when I was four. "Sleep, my babe, lie still and slumber, All through the night, Guardian angels God will lend thee, All through the night, Soft and drowsy hours are creeping, Hill and vale in slumber sleeping, Mother dear her watch is keeping, All through the night, God is here, you'll not be lonely, All through the night, 'Tis not I who guards thee only, All through the night

Night's dark shades will soon be over; still my watchful care shall hover,

God with me His watch is keeping, All through the night." I continued to hum it until her breathing got deep. She was so young. I went to the window and seen the men fighting on the grounds. I wished I could help them somehow. I would have to wait until dawn to see if any remained alive. I hated sitting around doing nothing but I had no choice. If something broke through the wards Asherah was a goner.

I laid next to the sleeping child and covered her up. I could hear the screams of the winged beings and the men. I concentrated on the men, wanting to help them. I prayed over and over again to a God I used to not believe in. I asked to help them, to come back alive. I suddenly felt peaceful. Sleep dragged me under and I could not fight it.

Chapter Twelve: Trapped

Dawn came and thunder startled me awake. The clock read 7:24. Asherah wasn't next to me. I panicked and got up.

"She's fine love, she's in her room." Midael said. He was drying his hair. A towel was wrapped around his waist. "Go back to sleep." He said quietly.

"How is everyone?" I asked.

"Alive, thanks to you."

"What do you mean?"

"There is someone listening when you pray, and I was the closest thing to an angelic being, your prayers gave me power. It looks as though I am finally being forgiven. I haven't heard a prayer in over a thousand years."

"What happened?"

"You granted me power over the Sacred Fire momentarily." He said it as if I would understand. I didn't so I just left it alone. I was too tired to care at this moment. My entire body ached from bringing the men into the room. I looked around and all the gurneys were gone.

"I must have been really out." I said quietly.

"I put you to sleep so you would not worry." Midael said and sat on the edge of the bed. "I must admit you look pretty good in my robe." He said and pulled at the hem with a smile.

"Oh, sorry." I said and began to take it off.

"No need to do that love." He said.

"Where is Adrian?" I asked.

"In his room." He answered.

"I will go to mine then." I said and started to get up.

"I wish you would stay here for the rest of the day." Midael looked at me with those moonlit eyes. "It's been so long since I had a woman sleep in the same bed as me."

"Midael, I'm too tired." I said automatically thinking about sex.

"That's not what I meant. I meant someone to hold while I slept." He said and lowered his eyes.

"Oh." I muttered. I took his hand into mine and he moved closer to me. His soft lips met mine for a brief moment. Just a brush of the lips. He laid down next to me and I put my head on his chest. My fingers traced his matching scars.

"Did the same thing happen?" I asked.

"Yes. It was a demon who prays on vivid dreamers. Even angels aren't safe in their sleep."

"What did you dream?"

"Caridwen, the woman I fell for, she was being attacked by warriors. I tried to save her but couldn't." he said quietly. "What about you?"

"Adrian was drowning in the pond where we found the amulets. Something had dragged him under. All I could see was blood. When I dragged him out he had the gashes across his chest."

"You truly love Adrian?"

"I don't know. I deeply care about him I know that."

"What about Azrael?"

"I don't want to talk about him."

"Sleep well Anastasia." Midael said.

"You too." I said quietly. I laid there for a few minutes before I heard his heart rate lower and his breathing even. His arm held me close to him. Why did I stay? I don't know the man; I slept with him for power. How much more power could I gain? My only thoughts were now to get as much power to protect those I loved, even though all of them thought I was dead. I suppose it was better that way because I knew I was going to die anyways. Make the think it now instead of in the future. But I missed my mother. She was my rock, and right now I needed a shoulder to cry on more than anything. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. I don't know how long I laid there until sleep finally came. All I know is I had the most vivid dream I had ever had.

I was standing in a battlefield; a sword was in my hands. I had a moment to comprehend before I had to block and attack. My sword went into his gut and twisted. I heard a familiar voice yelling in the distance. "Fall back!"

I twisted around and saw Midael. He wore silver armor and held a bloodied blade. I started to run towards him when I became surrounded by grotesque looking creatures. They were a mixture between a gargoyle and dogs with bat wings. I screamed out what would be considered a battle cry and slashed at the creatures using skills I knew I did not possess with a sword. That's when I knew I was dreaming. I started using judo moves on them and they seemed confused. I may not like my father, but he did teach me well. I managed to get one to the ground and stuck my sword through its eye.

"Fall back soldier." Midael said and was running up to me. He didn't seem to recognize me. Then again I was in armor head to toe and what face did show was covered in blood.

"Not yet." I said and went after another.

"Now soldier!" He said and grabbed me. He flapped his wings and went straight up into the air quicker than wings should have gotten him there.

I screamed in fear this time. I was deathly afraid of heights. I clung on to him like there was no tomorrow. He landed almost a mile away in a rush of running soldiers who were on our side. He started running as well.

"Midael wait!" I said.

He stopped and turned. "How do you know me by that name?" He asked.

I took off my helmet and let my hair fall.

"Who are you?" He asked.

"You don't know who I am?" I said a little annoyed.

"You look familiar, but I do not. Are you kin to Ariella?"

"No, I'm Ariella reborn. I am Vesta of the Sacred Fire." I said.

"Prove it."

I tried to call forth my fire but I couldn't. I tried everything, but it was like it never existed. "Something wrong, I can't." I said.

A trumpet sounded in the distance and Midael grabbed my wrist. We started running before he took me by the waste and lifted off the ground. I put my hands over my eyes and fought not to get sick. I really did not like to fly.

We landed about twenty minutes later with more angels. They were on the side of a large hill able to see the valley below. I could see the running foot soldiers like ants.

"Come." He said and pulled me into a tent. He let go of me quite abruptly and I nearly fell. He took off his silver helmet and I gasped at his beauty. It was like seeing him for the first time again. All I wanted to do was drop down to the floor, cry, and worship him.

"How do you know me by that name?" He asked again.

"You probably won't believe this, but we are in bed together right now, this is a dream. This war happened a millennia ago. The actual date is May 22, 2012.

"It can't be." He said.

"I'm sorry, but it's true. Sorry I'm not better looking." I said with a smile.

I wouldn't know behind the blood." He said and went to a basin filled with water. He grabbed a rag and started wiping blood off my face.

"Your eyes. I have never seen eyes like that." He said. "Ariella's are a rarity, but I've never seen blue and green with gold."

"They are called blue hazel." I said.

"Tell me, what happens? Do we win this war?"

I turned my head. What did I tell him? This was his dream.

"That's a no." He said quietly.

I did the only thing that came to mind then. Don't ask me why; just spur of the moment type thing. I wrapped my arms around his neck and drew him down to me. My lips met his and the air suddenly felt heavy and then it was gone as quick as it came.

Midael drew away from me. "Anna? What are you doing here?"

"I'm in your dream." I said.

"But it can't be." He said and ran outside the tent. I followed and watched him look up at the sky. "Memuneh." He whispered. I suddenly heard laughter like I did in the dream with Adrian. "He has trapped us in a dream."

"He's the one that we got the scars from?" I asked.

"Yes." He answered.

"Well that sucks." I muttered.

Everything around us started going dark and a wind wrapped around us. Midael grabbed a hold of me tightly as the wind tried to tear us apart. He wrapped his wings around me and I looked up at him.

"You will not have her!" Midael yelled at the dark once the wind died away.

I suddenly felt pain in my chest and I guess Midael did too. We both yelled out at the same time. I looked down and noticed we were both naked. Our chests were gushing blood through the scars.

"I always thought dreams couldn't harm you." I said quietly.

"A human thought." He answered.

We stood in the dark I don't know how long. He just held me as we bled. He lifted me into his arms once my legs got weak as if he were afraid to let go of me.

"It's cold." I said breaking the long silence.

"I know." He said and we looked into each other's eyes.

"If it's our dream, can't we take control of it?" I asked.

"Not if Memuneh has control of it."

"Put me down Midael. I want to try something."

"I don't want to risk something happening and him taking you away from me." Midael said quietly.

"Trust me please." I said and he put me down. Nothing happened. I called for my fire and I could this time. The only difference was it was blue instead of the orange red. I reached out to Midael and he hesitated. "Trust me." I said. He took my hand and the fire engulfed him like it did me.

"It doesn't hurt." He said and the darkness began to turn into a bright light. I heard heart monitors beeping in sequence. It felt like something was pushing on my chest in sequence.

I woke to harsh lights and gasping for air. I shielded my eyes and looked around. The room went dim suddenly and Adrian came into view.

"Midael." I said quietly.

"Here." I heard him answer. I reached out a hand to his voice and his finger tips brushed mine.

"What happened?" Adrian asked.

"A demon trapped us in a dream." I answered. "That fuck face is getting once I meet him."

"I pray that you don't." Midael said.

"You both by medical standards died. You quit breathing and your hearts stopped beating until you both caught on fire. It was a blue fire.

"The Sacred Fire." Oriel said and came into the room. "How can we teach you what you already know?" He asked and went around to Midael.

I sat up and reached for my chest. It wasn't shredded; the scars were still there but no blood. "Were we bleeding?" I asked.

"No. Why?"

"The next time we sleep in the same bed, make sure the wards last." I said with a hint of a joke in it.

"Get some more rest; I want to do more test to make sure everything is okay." Adrian said.

"Don't have to tell me twice." I said and laid back down. Adrian put a blanket over me and kissed my forehead.

"I will ward the room." Oriel said and went to the four corners of the room. I saw golden runes glowing faintly. They both left and I looked at Midael. He reached out his and I grasped it.

"I, Midael vow to you Anastasia Hallow, to protect you all of my days. To help guide you down the path of righteousness, I give you my sword, my life, my very essence until the last breath leaves my body."

"I Anna, accept your vow." I said and got up. My feet touched the cold floor and I went over to him. He raised up his blanket and I snuggled next to him on the less than twin size hospital bed. He kissed the top of my head and I buried my face into his warmth. He had vowed to protect me, Anna, not Vesta. The day was looking up.

Chapter Thirteen: Earth & Wind

Asherah woke me by jumping in my bed. Adrian moaned to one side of me and Midael moved closer to me. Months had passed since Midael and I were attacked via dream. Nothing new had happened since then. Asherah and I were learning how to protect ourselves magically and physically. Come to find out I'm pretty gifted with the sword. I had went from Permaz training me to Midael. Can't beat the once general of God's army.

"Happy Birthday Anna!" Asherah said and threw a pillow at me.

"Too early baby, go back to bed." I said groggily.

"It's noon. I don't want to know what you did all night, but it's time to wake up. The three of you." She started jumping on the end of my bed. It was like all the others in the mansion. An over sized king so her jumping didn't come close to our feet. I picked up the pillow she threw at me and threw it back. She giggled and jumped off the bed. I sat up in time to be shot with a water gun. Both men we suddenly sitting up shooting back with their own water guns. We had learned pretty early to sleep with them. It was one of Asherah's ways of waking you up. We also learned to sleep in clothes just in case she decided to come in.

I climbed over the sheets and went to the end of the bed. I opened the hope chest and pulled out a super soaker. "It is on like donkey kong." I said and fired. She squealed and ran out of the room. See, I'm still a kid at heart.

"She's needs a play day." I said. "She is having to grow up too fast and she is still just a child." I said.

"What do you have in mind?" Adrian asked.

"Two words. Laser. Tag." I said with a smile. "It's not painful like paintballs and it's fun. We don't use the top floor for anything, so if I could get some things like black lights and laser tag equipments, I think she would have a blast. And I just bet you don't have any of that." I said secretly hoping for a trip to the states.

"We don't but I can send someone to get them." Midael said. "And no you're not going."

"But it's my birthday." I said and climbed back on the bed and crawled up to him with a pouty look on my face. I laid kisses on his chest and neck.

"Nice try, but no." He said and held up the green plastic gun to my face. He squeezed the trigger with a smile and I was shot in the face with a stream of water. I sat on his lap and grabbed the super soaker and pointed it at him.

"Now that's not fair." He said and held his hands up.

"Nothing is fair in love and war." I said and shot him.

We had a mini water fight on the bed and by the time we were done the guns had no more water. I seemed to get away the least we. Both men needed towels and my bed was soaked.

"We can get the supplies by tomorrow and since it is the American Independence Day we will have fireworks. Everyone needs a day off." Midael said.

I just nodded and went to my dresser and grabbed a pair of short and a tank top with underwear. I never knew where my dirty clothes went; they just showed up clean at the end of the week. I never saw any workers here.

"Midael who comes and cleans every week and why don't I see them?" I asked.

"Oriel has a couple of his people come, and if they wanted you to see them you would see them." He said and slipped on jeans. I noticed since he started sleeping with me he started wearing every day clothes instead of suits.

"Let's go swimming Anna." Adrian said. "I like the pond since it isn't salty."

"How about not." I said and looked at him. "We can swim anywhere else but there." I was remembering the dream.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

I realized I never told him my dream. Only Midael knew as I knew his dream.

A knock came to my door and Beast entered. "We have visitors." He said winded.

Midael left the room first at a jog and Adrian and I followed behind. A woman was talking Bernael in the parlor. She had wheat colored hair and honey colored eyes. She was a little taller than me and very petite. The man standing behind her was at least 5'9" which made him a little short for a man. He had short cropped black hair and brown eyes. He had a face that I wouldn't find special in a crowd. I noticed he carried a cane with him.

"This must be Vesta. My Elders have told me about you." She said and came up to me and kissed my cheek. She had a Scottish accent and was trying to hide it.

"I am. May I ask who you are?" I said.

"I am Rhea of the Earth, this is Furlac my Sentinel." She said and motioned to him. He just nodded at me.

Asherah came running up and hid behind Beast. He patted her head and smiled.

"And who is that?" Rhea asked.

"I am Asherah." she said meekly.

"I didn't think children were Guardians." Rhea said with annoyance on her voice.

"Well you had a choice." I said and held out my hand to Asherah. "She didn't. She is family here."

"And what is your power?" Rhea said, this time the annoyance showed.

Nothing happened for a minute and I looked down at the child. Her eyes were out of focus and suddenly I heard a scream. I glanced back at Rhea and she was soaked. I looked at the glass vase full of flowers on the table and it no longer had water in it. I started laughing.

"You brat!" Rhea screamed and lunged after her. I put her behind me and pulled forth my fire. She stopped in mid motion a few inches in front of me.

"You will not touch her. You see we were in the middle of a water fight, and it seems that Asherah wants you to join."

"Who is in charge here?" Rhea said shrilly.

123456...9