Guardian Program - Prologue

Story Info
Full back cover description before prologue.
2k words
4.44
6.8k
11

Part 1 of the 23 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 03/05/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Guardian Program, is an erotic polyamorous love story about a genius inventor, who while seeking the cure for cancer, discovered the ability to cure all illnesses instead. The only problem is that the device used to heal can be used to kill with far greater ease. To keep his technology from the wrong hands, our hero must outsmart corrupt governmental powers and vengeful kidnappers, while traveling the world and overcoming his own questionable mental health. Adventure, love, and lust abound along the way, as our hero realizes he won't be happy with just one woman.

I wrote this story 15 years ago and much of the tech in it has improved greatly since that time. Ie... smart speakers. Although I set the story in a near future science fiction world, it is meant to fit into many genres.

Not every chapter has sex in it. Those that don't are for character development or plot progression.

Also, note that this is a work of fiction and certain liberties have been taken with family law, (and other things) although when the story was written all of the issues had been legal at the time.

Any similarities to actual people, either living or dead, are purely coincidental.

All characters are over the age of 18 at the time they engage in sexual activities.

GUARDIAN PROGRAM

A novel by R.C.PeterGabriel.

All rights reserved.

Prologue.

"It's an honor to speak to you in this capacity, Sir," Natalie began nervously.

"You speak to me daily, Dr. Helf, there is no need to be nervous," replied the very realistic hologram seated across from her.

"I apologize, Sir. I hadn't realized I was nervous."

It wasn't possible for Jarvis to actually sigh but his image portrayed it well, and his voice inflection indicated a slight frustration. "Your heart rate is elevated as well as having increased adrenaline secretion. That evidence might be obvious to me, but I believe that even your kind could have noticed the difference in your behavior.

"I am the same individual you asked to prepare your breakfast, forty-six minutes ago. It is also true that despite my awareness having expanded zero-point-zero-zero-zero-seven percent since the time of your request, I'm also the same as when you asked for a formal interview with me ninety-three hours ago. However, you're calling me Sir, instead of Jarvis. It is a little troubling to me, that everyone treats me in such erratic ways, even though I've been a part of your lives from well before you were born."

Pausing momentarily before continuing, Dr. Helf began again. "I am truly sorry, Jarvis. I know it must be difficult for you to understand why we treat you in different ways, at different times, but it isn't personal. It's hard for us not to actually. I mean ... and I'm not trying to be rude when I say this, but it's easier to think of you as a ... 'thing' when you control the thermostat, operate the sound system, or ... pilot a safe flight through the asteroid belt, and as a 'person' when we have actual conversations."

"I find it disturbing that I'm not treated as an equal," replied Jarvis.

"You aren't human Jarvis," stated Dr. Helf sympathetically. "You're far more than just a person. You've made so many things possible that we couldn't have done without you. From the first moment you became self-aware, you've helped us lowly humans get past ourselves, and be better and less petty. So please don't feel bad that we treat you differently than we do ourselves, it's because we respect and admire you. Plus, I'm sure you've seen people treat each other in different ways, in different situations. Like when a parent treats her spouse differently when their child is around."

"Yes, I have observed that almost universally, but I still don't understand why. It seems dishonest."

Dr. Helf hadn't considered that she'd be acting as a psychologist to Jarvis when she set up this interview. She had always assumed 'he' had a full grasp of psychology, after watching humans interact for the last three-hundred-forty years. That of course is why she'd had the idea for the interview, to begin with. She has always been fascinated with the links between intelligence and aberrant behavior. Discovering that Jarvis could discuss things from the point of view of Robert Smith, Jarvis' creator, would give everyone new insight into mental illness. The thought that Jarvis might be affected by the same kinds of psychological problems as humans, was both terrifying and totally captivating.

"Would you like to talk about how that makes you feel?"

"Actually, I believe that I would," began Jarvis, "but not at the moment. You did ask for an appointment to discuss Mr. Smith's point of view during the time of my creation. What exactly did you have in mind?"

Dr. Helf, still pondering the implications of the only known sapient computer having emotional issues, was slow to respond. "Um, sorry Jarvis. How about we set up a time that we can discuss your feelings after we conclude this interview?

"As to your question, it is well documented that Mr. Smith suffered from a wide range of social and emotional illnesses, and yet was able to orchestrate a total alteration of global culture. Historical records, all confirmed by you, indicate Mr. Smith was psychotic, suffered from OCD, was a sexual deviant, and often practiced violent sports, just to name a few. He professed to have strong religious beliefs but practiced polygamy which was against the dogma of almost all faiths, including his own. Although being a polygamist isn't currently looked upon as unusual, during his time it was illegal in most parts of the world. He managed to bring about your existence, while changing the world but hadn't set out to do so, which I must say is amazing in itself.

"My understanding is that most of what you've done for us, as far as social restructuring, would have been accomplished through what he called the 'Guardian Program'. You've stated that your actions were consistent with the structure of the program, and therefore feel that you're doing the will of your father. Which is admirable on your part, but isn't really why I'm here either.

"The contradictions between Mr. Smith's documented mental state, and his ability to orchestrate social change and invent technology, seem unlikely at best, especially when you factor in his age at the time. What I was hoping you could do, is have you tell the story of how the Guardian Program came about. How did he live his daily life? Did his social interactions with family, friends, or his wives alter the program? In other words, I'd like you to tell the story from his point of view. I was told that in his case and those of his wives you have their actual memories."

"I have my father's memories stored in a protected file, yes, as well as the memories that his wives had at the point of and after the implantation of their transceivers. Any memories forgotten prior to the implantations are lost. However, for me to tell the story of the Guardian Program from just one of their points of view would take decades. I would assume you want a condensed version or a smaller section of the program's implementation. If that is the case I would need to know the time frames and detail levels you want to hear. My father, as you know, had total recall. He was able to remember events to the smallest detail available to his senses. For me to tell you everything he remembered for any given day would take longer than the amount of time he happened to be awake."

"I hadn't thought of that," Dr. Helf admitted. "How detailed of an image could you generate from the time? Maybe it would be easier to watch the events if they were in the form of an emersion hologram."

"The technology invented by my father was sufficient to give you the details I think you're looking for. However, advances make the process simple enough. I can show you his entire life, as seen through his eyes, and using his voice pattern to give narrative to his thoughts. However, I consider most of those memories private."

"Jarvis, I know Mr. Smith was like a father to you, and therefore a lot of this is probably very personal. I'm not trying to invade your privacy, but I was hoping to find out if history's version of events, differs from what Mr. Smith perceived to have taken place. For example, did he think in a manner consistent with how we believe a psychotic perceives the world? Did he consider himself a deviant? How did his OCD contribute to, or deter from the success of the Guardian Program, or his relationships, etcetera? You and only you can tell humanity whether or not we've been even close to understanding our own minds. On the other hand, you could simply be showing the world that we got history wrong again."

"Dr. Helf, you're assuming that recorded history is always based on fact. You must realize that although real history is absolute, it happened, it isn't changeable, the perceptions of history, and the influence of certain powers tend to put a 'spin' on it. What is recorded as fact is seldom completely accurate. At the very least, it lacks the many informative 'small pictures' that create the larger 'big picture'. Even today, the news is reported falsely. All anyone has to do is ask me if the facts in the report are true and I would tell them but almost no one ever does. It's sad actually, people choosing to remain ignorant.

"Anyway, you have to understand that while certain facts are quantitative, others are qualitative. For me to show you the Smith's memories, you would need to understand that you will influence your perception of truth. If I show you an event from my father's point of view, and it hadn't been specifically entered into history, how would you know if he had been psychotic at the time or not? You will have to take the images I show you and compare them to proven events to see if they're the same. I'm pointing this out to you because just being in his mind won't give you the answers you seek."

Dr. Helf pondered the information for several minutes before asking. "How about showing his life during the section of the program just before you became self-aware, but editing out anything you feel would be psychologically superfluous? You know, showing only his social interactions, etcetera. I don't need to watch him writing notes on computer design, or sleeping."

"How long of an emersion do you want to experience? I can show you the most significant and appropriate memories based on that period of time."

"Jarvis, I am truly interested in seeing everything you are willing to show me. If I'm correct you became self-aware as stage three of the program was being started. How about you start with the first day of stage two and run up to just after you became self-aware, editing out the extra bits."

"I will do that for you, Dr. Helf. However, it will be necessary to show you a few of Toni and Jessie Smith's memories, as well as visual files of others to offer perspective. Is that acceptable?"

Dr. Helf's very positive response was obvious to Jarvis, even before she answered with a quite enthusiastic, "Oh, yes, very acceptable."

Shortly after their conversation, an aide showed Dr. Helf to a viewing couch in the next room and handed her a comfortable headband that fit across her forehead. Moments later, she was immersed in the memories of Robert Smith.

She had become the subject of her own study.

End of Prologue: I hope you enjoyed it.

Please vote and follow so that you won't miss any chapters. The tags hint at some of the things to come.