Hammer and Feather Ch. 33-40

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The Lady of smoke and flame." Syvezar smiled warmly, "She's very proud of that one."

"Is she really part dwarf?"

Cyran chuckled as the half-dragon hid his face.

"Perhaps. She does have dwarvish family."

"If my Syreilla has any dwarven blood it would only be a few drops. Though, it would explain her manner and her fondness for their food."

"Dwarf bread has a pleasant taste but it's difficult to chew." Cyran nodded.

"I thought they ate rocks?" Braigon looked up at them curiously.

"Stone bread." Kwes offered, interrupting as he inched closer. "It's made from mushrooms. I traveled with a dwarf, briefly. They tease as much as elves do but you have to be careful teasing back. She gave you a knife?"

The boy produced a slim dwarven blade and held it up for them to see.

"Her spare boot knife." Kwes smiled and stroked the boy's head. "She likes you. I want you to meet my wife, Amtalia. I don't know if you remember her. We're friends with your parents. She's going to stay with you and look after you. If that's alright?

"My sister mentioned other children being here?"

The boy nodded slowly. "I don't remember much before I came but she can stay. He's been moving us. There used to be others here, but when she gave him a pretty rock he got happy and nervous. There are parts of the forest that are harder to get to. He left them there."

"She gave him a rock?"

"She took a bunch of pretty rocks from someone. He said she's a friend but you have to be careful. She likes pretty things and she doesn't ask before she takes them."

"My sister is a thief, but she's an odd thief. If you ask, usually, she'll give things back and most of the time she just wants to look at what you have."

"Your daughter scolded her because she tried to look at her feathers without asking." Cyran smiled.

"Syreilla and feathers..." Kwes grinned. "If you ever want to give her a gift, find her a pretty feather."

Braigon smiled shyly. "He said she would come to stay with us. I didn't know others would too."

"She may come to visit." Syvezar glanced at the doorway she'd disappeared through. "She has two husbands who would be upset if she came to stay. But I think... Vedhethrah believes I will be invited to use this nest with her. He intends to secure a nest he may share with her among the dwarves."

"She'll need a home with each race if all three worship her." Cyran nodded. "The elves may be fonder of you than they are of your other half."

"We all share the chamber in Grandfather's realm, above... it would be nice to have a nest away from-"

"Kwes?" Amtalia interrupted them. "The children are getting hungry. Do you think he keeps any food for guests?"

"He takes us foraging." Braigon looked at the other children with a faint frown. "It's easy to get lost here, we shouldn't go without him."

"How long do you think-"

Finwion dropped from above them into the middle of his clearing and scrambled back to his feet, puffing his cheeks up and shaking his fist. At the same time, Syvezar shuddered and bent over, bracing himself on his knees.

"Cousin?"

The half-dragon stood hunched with closed eyes for a moment and when he straightened, he turned to the angry elf with an enraged expression that would have been more at home on Vedhethrah's face.

"You! You tried to push her into the black lake!"

Stopping his angry posturing, Finwion blinked and started to gesture hurriedly.

"I felt it! Her fear, the way her heart ached, and her fury flared as you broke her trust!"

Syvezar's hands were in fists as he took a step toward the elf and Cyran stepped between them. He stopped his cousin's advance by holding him in an embrace and turning with him so that the elf was no longer directly in his view.

"Is she safe?"

"Yes, but-"

"Then be calm. She sent him back here and he wasn't burning. He would be if she wanted him harmed."

"Where is my daughter?" Kwes stepped past them. "Belthamdir, is she safe? Is she with my sister?"

Finwion nodded and began to gesture carefully. They were speaking to Nimphon on the shore of the lake. She made him laugh and he seldom laughs. Finwion's motions conveyed that he often tries and rarely succeeds. It annoyed him that she did. He gave her a small push as a jest, she wasn't near the water. Syreilla overreacted.

"You don't know my sister." Kwes' expression could have frozen water. "I only know of one thing she's afraid of. That you and your home aren't on fire means she's restraining herself. When she overreacts there's nothing but ash left."

The large-eyed elf seemed to consider that and then gestured that he would apologize.

"You don't know my treasure at all." Syvezar stepped back and then sat heavily on the ground. "Words mean very little. You must show her.

"Vedhethrah felt it as well. He is furious that I have allowed her out of my sight a second time. She is calming but he is enraged."

More gestures tried to reassure them that she was safe and with Nimphon.

"Was she not with Nimphon before? I can feel in her threads that you have done more than you realize. You changed something important." He rubbed his face, "She won't let me peek at the events in motion on the edge of her vision. But something has changed."

Finwion closed his eyes and looked pained. His gestures were baffling.

Braigon interpreted. "He saw how delicate it all was. He meant no harm, he cares for her, she should have been one of his. Her nest will be very nice, as an apology, he'll make it all she could ask for."

"You broke her trust. She won't stay with you."

Cyran heard the truth in Syvezar's words and he looked at Amtalia and the nervous children. "None of them will. She won't leave those she cares for with someone she does not trust. Knowing my cousin, she'll want to take them to the safety of a dwarf mine."

The elf looked as if he might weep and he vanished from their sight.

The boy ran to where he had been and looked around frantically.

"Has he gone back to apologize?" Amtalia put an arm around Kwes.

"He's a fool if he did. You have to leave her alone and let her temper cool completely. She and Vedhethrah have that in common." Syvezar closed his eyes for a long moment.

Moments later, Syreilla stepped back in the clearing holding Belthamdir's hand. She looked around coolly and then smiled faintly on seeing Cyran. The white bird on her shoulder was looking at him oddly.

"While he's elsewhere, let me make introductions, and then we'll all go visit Navisse. Magpie, this is Olthon Camaenion, I'm sending him to help Cyran but I wanted the two of you to meet. He may be a little confused about your ears-"

The bird made an ear-splitting sound and she winced before grinning. "He traded them to be safer. It's dangerous to have points on your ears in some places right now and Magpie is coming with me for some theft and mischief-making." She held out her hand and Syvezar went to her immediately, embracing her and sending the bird into the air. "As is my dragon. I'm sorry, beloved, I didn't realize we were going somewhere else entirely. I would have taken you with me."

"Vedhethrah is angry with both of us."

"He has every right to be. I trusted one of Father's friends without reservation and that was a mistake."

"Where is he?" Braigon grabbed her arm and tugged.

"I don't know, dear one. I'll take you with us and you'll be safe."

"I don't want to leave him."

"Stay with Belthamdir, he knows how to find her." She gave him a gentle smile. "I'm taking you all somewhere safe."

The white crow landed near Kwes looking at him curiously.

"Father has told me a great deal about you. He tried to get vengeance for your death but it didn't go well for him. Stealing from Syreilla's dwarves doesn't go well for anyone."

The bird looked at Cyran and the question came as if it had been spoken aloud. What are your intentions with his ears?

"I intend to return his ears when he's finished with his task. My cousin will be safer with the lend of mine."

Cousin?!

Syreilla laughed as the strange crow puffed up. "Cyran is the son of Imos. The god Odos was so pleased with the daughter he had from your line he took Tirnel's son too. The clever boy was so impressed with both of us he took my brother's daughter as his own.

"If I weren't angry with him I'd let him explain himself. You can be proud of Magpie, Olthon. He's sharp."

"And of Father." Kwes smiled ruefully. "I'm proud of him and I know he wanted you to be. He's just hopeful that Syreilla can forgive him someday."

"I have to watch first before I decide. I want to. That he's good to you and to my niece earns him some good will."

Cyran watched as she sighed and seemed to decide on something.

"Olthon, you have an important task. Cyran will need some guidance and the benefit of a clever, devious mind. My cousin is honest and solid, and I need him to go into a nest of vipers and shake their faith in the huntress."

"They don't support her-"

She held up her hand with a wry smile, "Grandmother doesn't. The others do to a certain extent. If they didn't at all she wouldn't have the power she does. They need to see that she isn't in control. We need them to stop trusting her and to turn on her. Your horror that they would support her after you tell them all you've seen will only get you so far. Olthon can help you sow discord without ever speaking a single lie." Syreilla grinned as the bird postured as if it wished to argue with her. "There may be a few half-truths but no blatant lies. Trust me Olthon, he's not good at lying."

He laughed and shook his head. "Only when I don't know I'm lying."

The bird looked at him speculatively and then came to perch on his shoulder.

That is less difficult.

"If anyone asks why you have a bird with you, cousin, tell them he's been lent to you in thanks to help keep you safe. It's true enough. I'm grateful for all you've done and I won't be there to protect you. Tell them he's from Nimphon. That's true as well."

Cyran studied her as he heard a peculiar note in her voice and saw a familiar melancholy in her eyes. "Cousin, I was glad to do all I've done and you always give more than you take, I am the one grateful to you. I'm more concerned for your safety and the sadness in your eyes again."

"Focus on the task at hand." She smiled faintly and shook her head. "I'll have my dragons to look after me. Let's go to Navisse first and get you all safe and then I'll-"

"If you open the door I can go first."

"Let me teach you how to open your own." Syreilla lifted her hand and a flameless door opened. "I'll do it on the other side."

*Forty*

Vedhethrah stayed aloft keeping an eye on the human soldiers who had started to form up in the distance, a few scouts were trying to keep out of his sight but his eyes were keen. The dwarven group came to a stop to rest and something caught his eye. Large black birds seemed to be flying purposefully toward them.

Taking note of where the scouts were, he landed near the dwarves. If there were ravens, one might belong to Syreilla. Likras brought his mail shirt immediately and he pulled it on.

"My Lord?"

"The scouts are following and the humans are reforming their forces to pursue you. The ravens, my treasure sent them?"

"They went to Master Hammersworn, I-"

He chuckled and headed toward the wagon the birds were perched on. The dwarves gathered around it made room for him.

"They have no messages." One of the dwarves was frowning as he inspected them.

"Which is Master Hammersworn?" Vedhethrah studied them and the one whom he'd spoken to the night before stepped forward. "Syreilla the Rook, my golden treasure, has sent you these birds for a purpose."

The ravens bobbed and made sounds of agreement.

"What purpose?" A black-haired dwarf who looked vaguely familiar frowned.

"What is your name, Master Dwarf?"

"Oduil Flameborn." His bearded chin thrust upward as the dragon studied him.

"You cannot understand when they speak? She sent birds to the Clan she knows and loves best."

Oduil smiled and dipped his head, "My aunt is a good woman... The first thought I had was that they came to find out where we were."

The birds began bobbing again and the dwarves relaxed.

"She wants us to send a report to Bhiraldur?"

"The humans are following, their forces are reforming. They will be ready for me next time."

"They'll be able to organize something and send us help from Bhiraldur." The first dwarf who'd stepped forward nodded. "We'll write out the important-"

"Tell the birds as well." Vedhethrah gave them a wide smile. "Even if her kin have some difficulty, her priestess, Nali, will understand what they have to say. They may relay more information that way."

"Little Nali?" Oduil looked surprised. "I knew my aunt saved her but-"

"Nali Rookfriend is her priestess. My treasure favors children." He glanced over Syvezar's threads but they shared enough that he felt certain. "They may grow into the service of other gods but she-"

A sensation of fear and fury jerked on Syreilla's threads as if something had dropped on them from a height. He panted, seeing the stone of Nimphon's dark shore for a moment. Someone had tried to push her into the black water a second time. Vedhethrah reached for her and felt Syvezar do the same.

Her reassurance was weak. She had left Syvezar's side yet again! His more human half allowed her to go continually! He never should have left her to go to the dwarves' aid; he was the only one who would remain at her side and protect her. His fury thrummed over the threads that bound him to his other half not permitting him to dispute the matter. And that elf. The clever boy would feel claws for what he'd done.

Her heartache made him keen despite his fury. She should be with him. There were those with her who needed to be kept safe... The mines were safest.

Likras was suddenly in front of him holding the black scale, pale and panicked. "My Lord? Are you under attack? Why-"

"He allows her out of his sight. My treasure is meant to remain with one of us, always." Vedhethrah realized he was kneeling and got to his feet. "One of the elven gods tried to push her back into the black lake."

The mage looked suddenly furious, "After all she's done for them?!"

"Nimphon did not allow it and Finwion will be punished." A low growl reverberated in his chest making the ravens flutter and call out angrily as well. "There are those with her she would have kept safe, my treasure will come. There will be more elves trusting to your dwarvish hospitality." He glanced at Master Hammersworn.

"Bring them. If she wants them kept safe they'll be safe. I know her. She doesn't bring trouble unless you cross her and we haven't."

"Should we stop and wait?" Oduil frowned.

"No. Continue on, I will walk with you until she arrives."

The dwarf looked as if he wanted to argue. Vedhethrah stared him down and the creature thought better of it. He would be waiting for her when she came.