Hammer and Feather Ch. 41-51

Story Info
Tethers for the Rook, Ezphine, Isca breaks her word.
23.8k words
4.89
1.6k
1

Part 6 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/22/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Isemay
Isemay
208 Followers

Notes: 1) If you see this story anywhere but Literotica it isn't supposed to be there. 2) Because of shorter chapters, this is being posted in chunks.

* * * * *

*Forty-one*

Ushering them all through the door, she glanced around the tents to be certain no children were left behind and caught a glimpse of Finwion returning with a stunned look on his face. He lifted his hand for her to wait but she followed the others through.

The temple they stood outside was open to the air and it was clear she favored firelight and circles. Circular archways with glassed fire bowls atop them, circles on the ground with fire bowls in the middle to gather around, paths leading through the trees, and ropelike walkways going up into them. The children huddled close to Amtalia murmuring something in their tongue that she could no longer understand.

Navisse came down from one of the trees with a baffled frown. "Syreilla?"

"I need these people to be protected. I was told to bring them to you, Navisse."

"They're mortals..." She glanced over them with consternation.

"Most of them, yes. I need them to be safe. Can they stay with you?"

"Syreilla, you're young and you don't yet understand. We don't-"

Olthon made a loud angry sound that was at the same time a shout in her mind, It was a command!

"She may not command me."

"I wasn't." Syr gave her a cool look and a small shrug. "Nimphon told me to bring them to you. I told him I would prefer to take them to the mines, the dwarves will look after them at my request. But my question is, if you won't even care for your own why was I sent for?"

"We care for them!" Navisse gave her an incredulous look and stepped forward, "We don't show ourselves to them. I did not refuse to take them!"

She studied the elf with a growing feeling of distrust and Cyran stepped forward to place a hand on her shoulder. It felt like a comforting weight, an anchor.

"Forgive my cousin. Her trust has been broken today by Finwion. He attempted to push her into the black lake."

"Why?" Navisse stared in horror.

Belthamdir said something and the elf covered her face with a sigh before responding. Magpie gestured toward her and seemed to explain something as well.

"I don't speak that language." Syreilla tried not to sound sour but Olthon hopped from Cyran's shoulder to hers.

The language can be easily learned, the matter is nothing to be upset over. The bird's tone was comforting as if she were upset over her lack of knowledge and not merely annoyed.

Navisse offered a rueful smile and advanced with a smile, hands extended. "Allow me to help. It will be my apology for not being clear when you first arrived."

The elven goddess reached out to touch her ears and Syr flinched back. The white crow fluttered off of her shoulder.

"Only my husbands touch my ears."

"I only need to touch them for a moment."

Syvezar came to help, resting his hands on her ears from behind as Navisse touched them from the front.

"Her ears are a very sensitive subject and the threads there are tender."

"I see." Navisse smiled warmly. "Can you understand me now?"

"Yes." Syreilla inclined her head, "Thank you."

"Try to speak this language."

Tilting her head, Syr tried to think of how you would try to speak a different language.

Tapping between her eyes, Navisse explained with amusement, "It's in there, dear one."

Her brow furrowed, "How can you-"

The mortals clapped their hands over their ears.

"That's the divine tongue, Syreilla." Navisse was trying not to laugh, "It will get easier with practice. Try not to think so hard about it. Intend to speak one language and it should come to you."

"Like magic? Intention and will pushed forward."

"Yes!" The goddess beamed. "Much better."

"Why don't you let people come here?" Braigon asked with a frown.

Navisse turned to give him a small smile, "I do. I enjoy having my people around my fires and I miss them, but even when they're here, I have to keep myself apart or they will expect more from me than I can give. We all have our talents and our weaknesses."

"I can light a fire for you if you'd like and you can sit around and tell them about it." Syreilla grinned and the goddess gave her a vaguely annoyed look.

"You are as subtle as a dwarf."

"Father says I'm as subtle as an axe to the groin." She widened her grin deliberately and Belthamdir started to giggle. "But my dwarvish niece, Kyrilla, said an axe to the groin is more subtle than I am."

The goddess laughed and as the others started to do the same the air felt less tense.

"I'll keep them for you, and I'll keep them safe." Navisse shook her head. "Please, come into my home."

"Before I leave, Olthon, do you have any spare feathers-"

"I have one!" Braigon rushed up to her while reaching into his pocket. "I found a pretty one while I was looking for breakfast today. I was going to give it to you when they said you liked feathers."

He held up the brilliant blue feather, blue, black, and white. She took it with a smile and then bent to kiss his head. "Thank you, dear one. I will cherish it."

I meant to shake free one but two fell. Olthon's voice in her mind was wry.

Syv smiled as he handed her both white feathers. Running her fingers up the first, it turned gold and she offered it to Belthamdir. The girl took it with amazement. The second, as she ran her fingers up it, only turned gold until almost the tip, that was a shimmering, bluish hue like dragon's fire. Grinning as she gave it to him, the boy took it from her hand with a giddy smile.

"If either of you should need me, for any reason, call for me. My name is Syreilla the Rook and I will come when you call, for both of you." She gave Belthamdir a warm smile but it faded as she noticed the girl blinking back tears.

"What's wrong dear one?"

"If I was nicer and had let you have one of my feathers I would have gotten a pretty one too."

"My golden feather isn't pretty?" Syr teased, putting on a small pout.

"His is-it's-"

"Belthamdir!" Amtalia frowned. "Have we spoiled you so greatly that you-"

The child was wilting and Syreilla interrupted the scolding. "She isn't spoiled, she just needs to see things properly.

"Come here, Belthamdir." She crouched and tapped between her eyes so that the girl would look there. "Do you see any anger or disappointment with you?"

"N-no, Aunt Syreilla."

"Your golden feather isn't a slight. I only give my feathers to those I love. All of my feathers are special, his is the only blue-tipped one, it's true, but yours is the first I've made of the white feathers, the first I've ever given to an elf, and do you remember this bird's name?"

"Olthon Camaenion."

The white crow startled the girl by landing on her shoulder.

"He'll hear you when you call, and come if he can, as well. I ask you to remember that he has a task right now-" She broke into laughter as the girl lurched forward to embrace her.

Olthon was laughing as well as he landed nearby.

"It's a treasure. Thank you." Belthamdir clutched the feather close tearfully. "I'm sorry I called you mean, you're good."

"But I am mean sometimes, dear one. I'm going to go be very mean to some people right now because Braigon asked me to." She made as snarly a face as she could and the girl giggled despite herself. "Being one thing doesn't mean I'm not also the other. You can love people with your eyes open. See them as they are and still love them. It's not the easy way but it's worth the effort."

"I'll try, Aunt Syreilla." The girl lurched forward again before Syr could stand and kissed her on the cheek.

"While you're teaching my daughter things," Magpie was looking at her with an arched brow, "Can you teach her not to cheat at Telior?"

"I don't know that game but I can teach her how to play Massacre like I do." She stood and grinned down at her niece, "I cheat just as well as my father does, we don't like to lose."

The girl beamed and Navisse broke into laughter.

Turning back to Braigon she rested a hand on the boy's head. "Stay together and look after each other?"

"Yes, Lady Rook. But who's going to look after... him." He stopped and gave her a serious look.

"It's up to Navisse if he visits you, she is responsible for keeping you safe. He broke my trust. I don't want to see him or speak to him right now and I can't trust him to protect you, but neither of you has to be angry with him on my behalf. My anger is heavy enough on its own and I have two dragons who're sour with him too."

Braigon nodded. "He shouldn't have done that, but he does things without thinking. I know he didn't mean you any harm."

"You don't have to mean someone harm to hurt them, dear one. The ones who can hurt us the most are almost always the ones who never intended to. It's a double blow."

She stroked his head. "Call on me if you need me."

Syr gave a smile to Belthamdir and the others, and a dip of her head to the smiling Navisse before stepping away a few paces with Cyran as Magpie said his goodbyes.

"Think of it as pushing open a tent flap, Cyran. Use your will to direct you. It's the same as using your gifts. The ability to open the door is as much a part of you as they are. You'll feel it the same way you do when you reach for your power or use your gifts."

She opened the door for Cyran, letting him see before closing it and letting him try to open his own. He looked sternly at the place she'd opened the door and lifted his hand. It opened again and he blinked before smiling, embracing her as he went. Olthon flew after him. Magpie, she took by the hand as she opened a door to where Vedhethrah was waiting impatiently. Syvezar followed with a hand on her back.

"They may think you've left us and try to attack-"

"Are you trying to send my dragon back into the air?" Syr grinned as Vedhethrah turned and lunged at her, letting him embrace her and lift her off of her feet. "I missed you too, beloved."

He inhaled deeply against her skin and then nipped her neck. "If you continue to leave Syvezar behind I will devour you to keep you with me."

"I didn't realize we were going somewhere else. I would have brought him if I'd known."

"That elf will feel my claws."

"You're going to give him my reward?!"

The dragon laughed in his throat and his claws pricked her through her clothes as she caressed his threads. "He will not enjoy them as you do."

He purred as she relaxed against him. Being held close felt like a hot bath. Safe and comforting. The only thing missing... Syvezar pressed his hand against her back and she smiled.

"I need both of my dragons."

"We need him in the air, Lady Rook. If they think he's left us..." Bhirren looked concerned.

"Then they'll get a nasty surprise. Where is Likras?"

"Here, Lady Rook." The mage stepped into her vision.

"You and I are going to go lay some wards. I taught the others a few new things and you should learn a few too. The wards you saw me laying before? You'll learn those, and do you know any miring wards?"

"Miring?" The mage was grinning, "I don't Lady."

"I know a good one. I've always liked it, turning the ground to sucking mud for just long enough to trap someone... It's useful."

"Our mother taught Sirruil that one." Oduil's voice came from behind her and she pulled away with a grin to see him.

"It's a good one. She didn't teach you?"

"I didn't have the gift for it, Aunt Rook."

"Ah. I forgot."

"She expects siblings to all have the gift if one does." Magpie folded his arms with a smile. "Why are we here?"

"Father said opening doors makes a sound. She knows I'm here now, it isn't unexpected that I'd go to my dragon-"

"Where are the others?" Vedhethrah looked at Magpie and frowned. "I felt that you had others you intended to bring."

"I did. Nimphon wanted them to stay with elves. I trust dwarves more but I suppose it might not be the worst idea to let them take care of their own if they can. If they can't, we're doing it my way and I'll go back to get them."

Oduil smiled and shook his head. "We have a few elves we're looking after. They were captives."

"I'll speak to them." Magpie stepped forward.

"Your ears don't have the points on right now, little brother."

"I can still speak to them."

"We have to walk past them to get to the rear flank, Lady Rook. I can tell them he's not a threat." Likras bowed.

"I-"

"You will stay here and speak with the dwarves," Vedhethrah growled at his more human half. "I will accompany my treasure and be certain she does not come to harm."

Syr stepped closer to Syv and stole a kiss pulling him into an embrace. "I shouldn't be long. Try to get a little rest. You healed Braigon and I know that wasn't easy." She pressed her face against his as he ran his hand down her back. "I'm proud of the things you've done."

He kissed her urgently and then reluctantly let her go, giving the dragon a peeved look. Vedhetherah pulled her under his arm and clamped her there as he escorted her briskly toward the rear flank.

*Forty-two*

Syvezar watched his treasure walking away with his other half and felt a pang of jealousy. A dwarf cleared its throat and he redirected his attention.

"Yes?"

"He's been helpful, but it's still strange to see her go off with him. Are the two of you..."

"He and I were once the same person, Vezar Edra, the Undying. She needs both of us to be whole because she isn't whole without Vezar Edra. She was split-"

"I know, my mother was her other half." The black-haired dwarf who'd called her Aunt Rook nodded. "That makes sense to me, my mother wasn't whole without my father either."

"Your father isn't quite whole without her." The other dwarf clapped him on the shoulder.

"When she was pushed into the black lake and lost to us, Vezar Edra tore himself apart in anguish. She returned and helped us begin to heal. My other half and I are... different. He is the god of punishment and pain and I am the god of purification and rebirth. She needs us both and we both love her, but we love her differently. He's more dragon than I am and I'm more willing to trust her out of my sight."

The dwarves chuckled and nodded. "He's good to have on your side though. I'm Bhirren Hammersworn, this is Oduil Flameborn. Kaduil wanted to be the one to come but he's getting old and Kyrilla threatened to nail his beard to the floor of their house. He'll be unhappy that he missed seeing Lady Rook."

Syvezar arched a brow and looked at them coolly as Oduil grinned, an expression much like Syreilla's.

"You're dragon enough, my Lord. He made her something for bringing my mother back to the mine and letting him say goodbye. My father only has eyes for his Syr, not your Syreilla. As much as they look alike, you can tell the difference."

"If we keep taking rests, Bhirren..." A sour-faced dwarf stomped up to them, "And someone said Lady Rook showed up?"

"She's gone to lay her wards behind us. We can get moving. I'd be happier with that dragon back in the air but Lady Rook is worth a dozen of the Nightforged."

The dwarf looked in the direction she'd gone.

"I wouldn't go after her Onag. Father said she gave you advice once and you didn't take it. She can't tell you some miraculous way to win back my sister's heart, there isn't one."

"I made mistakes. If Kyri has her mother's temper, her aunt can tell me how to earn forgiveness."

"Words mean nothing to my treasure." Syvezar smiled faintly at the stumpy creature. "You have to show her, prove that you will not make the same mistakes again. Show her that your love is genuine and that you can offer her all that she desires and does not ask for."

Oduil nodded appreciatively, "I remember that there were times my father would do something sweet for her, make her something or have her sit and insist we sing a song or tell her a story. My mother would exhaust herself trying to do everything she could for us. The housework was hard for her."

"I can't imagine my Syreilla keeping a house. She dislikes clutter, but I think she would make an exception for a child's toys."

"Why haven't you had any?" Oduil asked curiously and Bhirren sighed.

"You don't ask that."

"I don't mind. Our home is in the realm of the dead. When we began trying in earnest for a child it was explained to us that a child cannot be conceived in that place. Even if we left and conceived a child she would still be unable to return home until after the child was born. Vezar's tasks were too pressing. We begged to be allowed to leave with her and make a safe place... There was no time and our grandfather didn't feel there were any places safe enough. My Syreilla makes enemies."

Thinking of it made his heart ache and he felt Vedhethrah's resolve to give her a child while they were free. That was why he had gone to the dwarves. The home they would offer would be solid and secure.

"We'll talk to the priests and see to it you have a safe place for that." Bhirren touched his arm. "I knew Syreilla Hammersworn, her children were her joy.

"The elves may be too flighty to trust but the mines are safe enough."

"She gave her word to an elf child who had been harmed that she would bring fire and vengeance for what had been done to him and to the others. For dwarves, I don't believe she needs to be asked."

They laughed at that and Syreilla's grin graced the black-haired dwarf's face again.

"She was the best investment my father ever made." Bhirren shook his head and then gestured to Onag. "Onag Silvershield will take you to the wagons, she said you needed rest and that's the only place to get it at the moment."

Syvezar inclined his head politely and followed the auburn-haired dwarf. "What kind of disagreement did you have with-"

"Mistakes. I made mistakes. Lady Rook told me to... She told me to have everything finished and ready, to know what Kyri was afraid of, and have a plan to ease her fears while making her the happiest woman in the mine before I tried to get a promise from her.

"She won't leave her family while she's afraid they need her. I thought I needed her to at least let the others know we were... I should have left things the way they were. Everyone already knew. I stopped work on the house for a year and went back to my home mine after she made it clear she wasn't ready and that her father and brothers would always come first.

"I knew it was a mistake the moment I left but I was too proud to admit it. After a year, I couldn't stop dreaming of her golden hair and I came back. I brought her gifts and I asked her father to forgive me, to let me see her and do everything properly. I asked Bhirren to let me work for their clan..."

"She won't see you?"

"I finished the house and the bed, Kyri still won't look at me."

"Is there someone else? Another dwarf?"

"No. She still lives with her family. Oduil's wife, Braera, helps her with things now."

"He didn't build a house?"

"Oduil will inherit the house from his father. He had to make a new chamber just for himself and his wife, and the bed. Braera has been asking him to find her some figurines like Kyri's. She'll take them with her..."

A half-remembered thought popped into Syvezar's mind, "They were the first thing of Syreilla's that was taken into the house."

Onag looked suddenly thoughtful. "I know Kaduil misses her. Kyri won't do anything that might make him unhappy." The dwarf looked as if he might say more but an argument in elvish distracted them both.

Isemay
Isemay
208 Followers