Hawke Finds a Gift for His Princess

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What totally gets me is that you guys haven't known each other for a week and your already engaged, but that's not it either. The bond you two have with each other is so strong almost like you two were meant for each other, born for each other. Does that sound weird to you? I never knew that was possible."

"No it doesn't sound weird, maybe if you had asked me before I met him I would have told you that fairy tales don't exist, but now I know they do. We are meant for each other, he's my other half. Soul mates do exist and I found mine." She said with an awed whisper while looking at Hawke, but Bethany had heard and she was happy for the couple. Her brother was finally happy.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

The town of Lothering came into view, and she moved her horse back beside Hawke as they rode in. Hawke directed them to a stable, and they all got off. He asked the soldiers if they wanted to tag along or go off on their own. Two soldiers stayed with them while the other went to Dane's Refuge. Hawke went with along because he wanted to talk to Danal, Elayne and Bethany went with him. When they all came in Danal greeted them. The soldier went over to a table while Danal got his order. Hawke pulled Danal aside and told him to run a tab for the soldiers and Hawke would take care of it when he got back. Danal agreed and Hawke walked back outside with the remaining soldiers and the girls.

He made eye contact with Bethany, and she nodded, but before the girls took off Hawke grabbed Elayne and kissed her, "you two be careful, I love you, Elayne. Bethany you know how to reach me if anything happens. Have fun you two, we'll meet back here in two hours, oh and girls, their going with you. It will make me feel a lot better so no arguments." as both Bethany and Elayne opened their mouths. Both weren't happy about it but they agreed. After they went their way with their guard, he strode off to get the items he had on his list. But before that, there was something else he wanted to get as he saw a jewelry shop.

He went in and looked at what was on display. He knew he wanted a very special item. When the shop owner came over, he asked if there was anything he could help with and when Hawke told him what he was looking for, he directed Hawke to his display case full of rings. Hawke took his time looking at each one, waiting for that special ring to jump out at him. When he got ready to leave, the shopkeeper asked him what specifically he was looking for, Hawke not quit sure himself told him he might be back. He stood outside the shop thinking. A light purple like her engagement ring or a diamond?

After running his hand through his hair, he headed to get his list done, first thing he needed was a picnic basket. He went over to the store he knew of and bought a good-sized one. Then he went looking for some flowers and some wine. Bethany had the job of finding some small candles with holders if she could and a few other small things.

He passed another jewelry store and went in. As he was looking at the display cases he felt a tug towards a particular ring. He looked at the shopkeeper and asked if he could see it. The shopkeeper took it out and placed it in his hand. Hawke turned the ring around mesmerized by it. He trickled a little of his power into it and saw that it was silver with little strands of gold interwoven in it, and it was pure. Around the bigger stone were tiny little diamonds around it. The amethyst stone in it called to him as if it was meant for him, he was also pleased to see that the stone was the same as Elayne's engagement ring.

When Hawke looked up at the shop owner, he smiled broadly at Hawke. "You've a good eye young man. Do you know what you have there?" Hawke looked at him incredulously and nodded, "I think I do."

The shopkeeper studied Hawke after he gave his name, "you're that young man who owns the farm up yonder, without your crops a lot of disadvantaged people would go hungry. You are a pillar of this community and I thank you for that."

Hawke shook his head, "no sir, we do it because it's the right thing to do."

"Modest too," mused the shopkeeper as he studied Hawke, nodding to himself. "Hang on here for a second, young man, I have something you may be interested in."

The shopkeeper headed to the front of the store and locked the door then headed to the back, when he came out he carried a small ornate box with vines and roses carved into it and laid it on the counter. "A few months back I had an interesting visitor come in. He had an air of mystery around him as he kept the hood of his cloak over his head covered, but I had a quick glance at his pointed ears, he went by the name of Caleb." Hawke shifted at hearing the name.

"I see that you know him," when Hawke nodded, the shopkeeper grinned and continued. "Then you're the young man who this box belongs too. He asked me to give this to you when you came in. He said that you would be here in a few months, told me to keep the ring out, so you would recognize it. Other people would look at the display case but no one ever even noticed that particular ring until you. The ring and the box belong to you, young master Hawke. By the way how did you know, how did you know to walk in here and seize upon this particular ring?"

Hawke shrugged his shoulders, "to be honest sir, you're the second store I've been in. I was looking for a particular ring for my fiancé and I felt a pull from this one."

He opened the box nervously and gasped when he saw what was in it. There was a matching necklace, earrings and bracelet to go with the ring. The jewelry was priceless, but that's not what made them special, there was a hidden power radiating from them when Hawke probed them. "Sir," Hawke whispered, "did he say anything else when he gave it to you?"

The shopkeeper nodded, "only one other thing, there's a note in the bottom for you, he said it would explain everything."

Hawke nodded absently, still shocked. What was Caleb trying to tell him, thought Hawke? He looked up at the shopkeeper and asked how much. The shopkeeper shook his head and said he'd already been paid handsomely. Hawke still dug a few coins out of his pouch and handed them to the shopkeeper, when the shop owner looked at the coins he balked at Hawke. "I can't take this, young man, I've already been paid."

Hawke gave a look that said he wasn't going to argue over a few coins. The box and items inside were more precious, "then take it as payment for safe keeping this precious box for me."

The shopkeeper looked at him in bewilderment, slowly he nodded his head. "I was right about you, you are a good decent, honest man, young master Hawke. I will not forget you. Here, use this to wrap that in so no one will notice it." He handed Hawke a cloth bag, and he wrapped it up and put it in his side pack.

Hawke thanked the shop owner again and walked outside after the shop owner opened the door for him. He looked at the store owner, "I never did get your name, sir"

"The names Bart, young master Hawke. It's nice to meet you," he said sticking his hand out to him. Hawke shook it and thanked him again.

He looked at the sky, noticed where the sun was and cursed himself. It was way past noon, the girls were already there, and knowing Bethany he was going to get an earful. He hurried over to the Inn and walked in and immediately his anger rose. The girls where sitting at a table, the three soldiers standing in front of them with their backs to the girls, their hands near their swords. Four guys stood in front of them, one of them he recognized was Mike.

Hawke walked over to the group, the soldiers nodded to him, the girls stood up and walked to him, Elayne on one side, putting her hand on his arm and Bethany on the other. He looked down at Bethany and Elayne, placing his hand on Elayne's, after seeing that they weren't hurt.

"What's going on here?" he commanded in a deep authoritative voice with a slow burning fire seething deep in him, he nodded towards one of the soldiers.

"These men started harassing our charges here. We decided to step in and stop it."

Hawke looked at Mike and his big goons, "Is that so? And what possible interest could these two women have in your lot?" Hawke looked directly at Mike.

Mike shook his head and kept his mouth shut but one of his goons not aware of the tension rising in the room opened his mouth. "What concern is that to you, all we were trying to do is get to know them and see if they wanted to have some fun. You can join us if you want, but I get to have the blonde first. I want to know if she's as hot in bed as," that's as far as he got before he met Hawke's fist and skidded halfway across the floor limp. One of the goons went over to his downed buddy to check on him, but he was out cold. Mike still stood there silent, looking down on the ground.

The other guy who was as dumb as his downed buddy decided to stand up for his friend. "Come on Mr; why did you have to do that, looks like you broke his jaw and nose, who are you anyway? As he said we just wanted some friendly company. And maybe some fun, now you've gone and ruined it."

"These ladies are my responsibility." there was a real air of concealed danger in his voice, "and I suggest that you get your ass's out of here before you join your buddy on the floor there." The three men looked at Hawke's face, saw and felt the danger they were in and quickly grabbed their downed friend, dragging him out of the Inn as quickly as they could. But not before threatening Hawke, telling him he'd better watch his back.

Hawke's anger was hot and fierce, barely being contained. Still seething he felt a hand he had forgotten about on his chest rubbing it in a soothing motion, he looked down at Elayne and his anger abruptly calmed.

When Elayne saw Hawke walking in the doorway she sighed in relief. When he took in the scene happening he stalked over to the group, the anger simmering in his eyes. She grabbed Bethany's hand and walked over to him, Bethany on one side while she stood on his other, putting her hand on his arm that was tensed up. She ran her hand up his arm, not only to comfort Hawke but also herself as she watched the interaction between Hawke and the other guys.

One of them opened his mouth talking and before anyone could move he was flat on his back halfway across the room with blood running down his nose and mouth. One guy rushed to his friend and the other two stood there. Mike, Elayne thought his name was, kept quiet with his head down and the other one walked up to Hawke shoving his finger at him. Elayne felt Hawke's anger radiating off him in waves. If these fools didn't get out soon there would be three more idiots joining their friend on the floor.

She glanced at her dads soldiers, they were just standing there casually watching the scene with grins on their faces, 'men,' she thought with exasperation and shook her head. After Hawke threatened the goons they all ran out, dragging their downed companion with them but not before the second big mouthed fool yelled curses and threats at Hawke.

She looked up at him and could see and feel the anger in him. She rubbed her hand down him and when he looked down at her, she could see the fury in his eyes. He blinked, and then his eyes focused on her, the anger disappeared, and instead she saw his love. She pulled his head down to hers, and she lightly kissed him on the mouth, "I love you Hawke." When his eyes met hers there was warmth and passion shinning through them, you wouldn't have known just a minute ago there was pure rage in them.

Danal came over apologizing to Hawke. He waved him away but not before ordering food and drinks for the table.

Hawke looked at Elayne and Bethany and apologized for being late, he had gotten tied up with something. He looked at the soldiers thanking them for being there. All three of them talking to Hawke about the interaction. They were impressed, if Elayne didn't know any better she would say that Hawke had some fans.

When Danal came back with their food and drinks he asked Hawke if he'd heard about the competition in Denerim in the spring. Hawke shook his head, he wasn't interested but the soldiers were very interested and wanted specifics.

Danal beamed down at them as he told them. "The King is inviting every fighter around Ferelden for this. He's looking for the best, he's even throwing in land as part of the prize, and a very large purse. I hear he's looking for new recruits to add to his military. What better way to attract new recruits?" He walked away when new customers came in.

The soldiers all looked at each other excitedly, they looked at Hawke and asked him if he was going to enter.

"I have no reason to enter, I don't plan on joining the Kings army, I already got land but most importantly I got a woman that I love and adore sitting beside me. What more could I ask for. My life's complete." Elayne's hand tightened in his as he quickly looked down at her.

One of the soldiers looked at him aghast, "but what about the fame and fortune?"

"Why does everyone seem to think that's what everyone wants?" Hawke asked, incredulously, "there's more to life than fame and fortune."

"But you've already been in one competition and you won. Why not enter another and see where you stand with some of the best fighters in Ferelden?"

"I did it then because I wanted to test my skills with other fighters. All the fighting I did was with teachers, during practice. I had no experience away from the farm with others like the competition gave me. The fact that I won, I can't help but think it was a fluke. Yes the idea does intrigue me a little, but I'm not interested in becoming part of the Kings army. What would happen if, I'm saying if, I won and the King wants me in his army? Because we all know that's the reason he's doing this and I have no interest in joining."

"That would be easy to avoid, just tell them you're already part of the Cousland soldiers," one of the soldiers said. He saw the other soldiers and Elayne nodding.

He looked at Elayne incredulously, "You too?"

She shrugged, "what could it hurt, I think it would be fun seeing my knight in shinning armor out there kicking everyone else's ass," she said sweetly as she leaned against him batting her eyelashes.

"Elayne Cousland, are you serious?" He asked totally dumbfounded.

She laughed, "of course I'm kidding love, but I do have to admit it does sound intriguing. If I could, I'd join it just for fun, but me being who I am, my father being who he is, it can't happen," she pouted.

"I'll think about it," he said looking at Elayne, "but right now we need to start heading home. Bethany did you get everything?"

"I did but Hawke, I want to talk to you alone please before we leave." They excused themselves for a minute. "There's a dress that Elayne was looking at, I think it would be perfect for you guys tonight."

He looked at her thoughtfully, if Bethany was bringing this up now, he mused. He reached in his pouch and pulled out some coin, "will this do?"

"More than enough big brother, I can get some accessories also with this." She started to walk out, "wait, sis" he looked over at the soldiers, "would one of you mind escorting my sister please?" The youngest volunteered looking proud.

Hawke shook his head amused, "I want to leave within the hour," he called after them.

They sat around the table talking and waiting. When it got close to leaving Bethany walked in talking to the soldier. Hawke got up to clear his bill and everyone headed to the stables to leave. When they were a little ways out of town a group of seven stood in their path with weapons in their hands. Hawke groaned, "you've got be kidding me," he said exasperated. He looked at the others, "no matter what happens you girls stay on your horses and gentlemen, get them out of here as soon as you can and guard them with your lives." They all started arguing with him, he squashed it, his voice getting hard.

"STOP!" The hard command in his unwavering eyes and voice had everyone snap their mouths shut. "Under no circumstances are you to disobey this order, do you understand me?" He looked over to the girls, "I can't do what I need to while worrying about you two, you will not fight me on this!" The girls looked at each other, both sighed and agreed. Hawke looked at the soldiers and they nodded and saluted him.

He jumped down off Midnight and confronted the group, one hand on a sword, he saw the big mouthed one in the lead. "Something else I can help with? We just want to head home with no problems."

Big mouth stepped forward, "that's not going to happen, see we figuring on taking you men down and taking the women for ourselves, that's the least of what you owe for breaking my friends nose and jaw."

Hawke smirked, "you think so, well let me tell you how this is really going to happen, I'm going to take you out first even before you take a full step, then I'm going to take out the rest of you." They all laughed at that. "Now if anyone here wants to live you better run now because I will not hold back," he growled, his voice cold as ice. He saw a couple of men in front of him shiver but no one turned to leave. Big mouth started to take a step towards Hawke with pure hatred on his face, before he could finish the step there was a knife sticking out of his throat. The other guys hesitated, that's all Hawke needed. He was running towards the six remaining guys, yelling at the soldiers to move. With Hawke advancing on the thugs with both blades out, their leader dead and the plan backfired left them confused, allowing Hawke's party to escape.

Hawke settled into the sharp-edged combat mode he had been taught: Remain: Detached; Emotionless; Centered. Then he was on them before they could think. He ran at them and at the last minute dropped to his knees. His blades taking out two of them deep in the gut on either side of him, leaving only four left. They tried to regroup but Hawke didn't give them a chance. He took one more out before the others brought up their weapons. He blocked a shaky blade that was headed for his neck and thrust his blade into its owner's chest. Leaving only two, "I'll give you one more chance," he said as he blocked a clumsy blade strike aimed for his gut, "leave now, and you don't have to die." He saw them hesitate, one guy dropped his weapon and ran, the other looked at him angrily and raised his blade and attacked. "So be it, I tried and warn you," Hawke said with disappointment as he dodged the blade and took the guys head off. "You should never have fought me!"

He looked at the corpses with sorrow, wiped his blades off, took his dagger out of the leaders throat and gathered the bodies in a pile off the roadside in a shallow grave.

He hated taking a life, all life was precious, what made him feel even worse was if they had families that just lost their husband and father. Before he let the guilt eat more at him, he got on Midnight, said a prayer for them and rode away. Killing was not a sport or for fun. He was disgusted with it, but he also knew that some men thrived from it, and they would take advantage of the weak. That's why Hawke couldn't let the guilt eat away at him more, if he had waited, hesitated, he would have put the women he loved and cared for in danger.

He rode hard to catch up to them, and found them almost at the halfway point when he caught up to them. When the soldiers saw him they slowed and nodded, and the girls tried to give him a hug and checking for injuries while riding. He told them he was fine. He hadn't been hurt and led them down the road towards home. Elayne rode up to his side looking him over, she must have seen a look on Hawke because she tried to console him. "Its never easy is it," she asked him quietly.

He shook his head and looked over at her, "at least you guys are safe and unharmed." He looked her dead in the eyes, his anger barely held back, "when I tell you to leave, then you leave and don't try to argue with me. This wasn't a game Elayne, they intended to kill us and take you girls with them, so they could torture and rape you both. They weren't playing. I will not allow any harm to come to you just so you can be stubborn and argue with me," he said through gritted teeth, and her head snapped back as if she had been slapped. He turned his head and tried to put his attention back on the road even though he didn't need to, Midnight knew where home was.