Heartbreak in Paradise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'll need your car and keys, Andy. Technically, that was part of your benefits package. There is information in your paperwork about extending medical coverage for the kids and Danae, but it only goes out 2 months. Hopefully, you'll be able to find something before then."

He only nodded. "I need to go get the car. I haven't seen her since she kicked me out, so this should be fun."

"By the end of the day, Andy. I'm willing to give you two weeks severance pay. I really, really hate to lose you, but when it hits my bottom line, I can't..." Kirby lowered his eyes from Andy's. "I'm sorry."

Aaron met Andy outside the office. "I guess you need to pick your car up?"

"Yep," came his one-word answer.

*****

Trixie had been staying with Danae since Andy's indiscretion was revealed, caring for the children. It wasn't fair to saddle Darcey with the kids when they were Danae's responsibility.

She hadn't eaten since the night of the party, and she felt sick. On the verge of nausea, she sat by the toilet, heaving every few minutes. She looked and felt like death warmed over, withdrawn and secluded in her bedroom. Trixie knocked on her door and entered slowly.

"Danae? Are you okay honey?" Trixie stopped in her tracks. This woman did not resemble the Danae she knew. She had dark circles under her eyes, her skin ashen and blotchy, and she looked as though she had lost ten pounds in just a couple of days. She looked terrible.

"No, I'm not Trix. I'm sick."

"Well, you haven't eaten anything in 3 days. Why don't you let me make a sandwich for you? You're probably hungry." She approached Danae carefully.

"Okay," she said weakly. "All that's coming up anyway is green gunk. Maybe I am hungry." She stood, shaky on her feet. "I've never been more devastated than I am right now."

"I'm sorry, Nae." Trixie offered a hug, and Danae went to her embrace. "Have you talked to him?"

"No. I don't want to, either. I've been packing his clothes." Trixie noticed Danae's left hand had no rings on it. "I'm heartsick."

Her phone rang, and she looked at the Caller ID. Andy. Hurriedly, she rejected the call, washed her face and walked to the kitchen.

Elyse looked at her mother and walked to her. "I'm sorry you're sad, Mama. When is Daddy coming home?"

"He isn't, sweet pea. But you'll get to see him soon, I promise." She kissed Elyse's forehead and sat at the dining table. "Go play, sweet pea," she asked Elyse. Her phone chimed with a text message.

Nae, I need the car and the key from your chain. Kirby let me go, and I need to turn it in. Please, let me get the car.

She read the message in disbelief. "Well, this is just great," she grumbled.

"What's that, Nae?"

"Andy got fired. As of today, the kids and I have no support, no medical coverage, no life insurance. My inheritance will only go so far, and I'll have to go to work."

"I'm sorry, honey." Trixie hugged her again. "Is he coming now?"

"Yes, he needs to get the car. I'll give him the box of clothes I packed up. I see my attorney tomorrow. I don't want him to know about that until he gets papers. He will be relentless if he knows ahead of time." She opened her text app and messaged him back.

Come over. I have some clothes for you that I've packed, you can have them. We'll talk about visitation this weekend. ETA?

She took the car key from her key ring and her phone chimed again.

Five minutes. Can I see the kids now? I miss them, and I miss you.

She went to the bedroom and retrieved the box of clothes and walked to the garage with it in her hands. She opened the passenger door and plopped it on the seat. When she opened the garage door, he was standing at the gate.

Tears stung her eyes when she saw him. He was still dressed like he was when he left the house that night. It was a blatant reminder of what he had done, and it made her sick. She opened the gate remotely with her phone and let him in.

"Hey baby," he said, not able to look her in the eyes. "Oh, how I miss you, honey."

"My name is Danae, not 'baby' or 'honey'. You lost that privilege when you cheated on me." She handed him the keys to the car. "The kids miss you. Elyse asks about you all the time, so we need to work out when and where you'll visit the children. It will not happen here."

"I'm staying with Aaron right now, but I don't know if I'll be staying in town. I have some feelers out for another position, possibly Barnacle Bay. I won't know for a while, but Aaron has welcomed me in while I'm here."

"You're... you aren't staying here?" She had to admit she never considered that a possibility.

"Probably not. Look, you know I won't be content with flipping burgers somewhere. I'm a PR guy, Danae. I have to go where the opportunity lies. I don't expect you to pick up your life and come with me, though I wish you would."

"If you leave, I'll never see you again. It sounds permanent."

"Well, you made it pretty clear you hate me. I can't spend my life pining for someone I can never have, Danae. I need to move on, the sooner the better."

"What about your children, Andy?"

"I'll take them during summer breaks and every other holiday... it's not ideal, but if I'm not in town, it will have to work. They and you are my first priorities. I need to support them financially, and you. If I can't do that in Isla Paradiso, then I need to go where I have the opportunity." He sniffled and wiped tears from his eyes. "Just so you know, Danae, I will never remarry. I don't want anyone but you."

"Too late for that now, Andy. You should have thought of that before you went out trolling for sex."

"I suppose I'll never convince you I didn't do that. The evidence is pretty strong that I did. But believe me, Danae. I don't remember anything from Friday night until Saturday morning. Take from that what you will."

"I think you're lying to me right here, right now to save your ass. Take your car and your clothes, and get off my property," she spat. "I don't want to see you until Saturday when you get the kids."

"I'm sorry, Danae. Sorry that I cheated. Sorry I betrayed you. Sorry that I made you hate me. Because baby, I still love you. I always will." He got into the car and closed the door before she could say another word, backed out of the driveway and headed to Aaron's house to drop off clothes before he turned in the car.

*****

Two weeks later...

A knock came early on Aaron's front door. He threw his flannel pants on and answered it.

"Mr. Anduin R. Murphy?" the man asked, standing with an official-looking envelope.

"Yes?"

"I have papers for you. Please sign that you received them, and I'll be on my way." He held a clipboard for Andy to sign.

"Thank you," Andy sighed, took the envelope and closed the door. He didn't have to read the letter within. It was from a prominent family attorney in town. Divorce papers.

He opened the envelope anyway and skimmed the petition. She wanted sole custody of the children with supervised visitation for Andy, an astronomical amount for spousal and child support, the house, and her half of the shared assets. It was obvious she was going to take everything she was owed, and then some more. And without a good job, his children would suffer. Maybe not right away, but they would eventually without his support.

As much as he hated it, he searched on his laptop for Alonzo Faust, found his number and called.

"Hello?"

"Mr. Faust? Anduin Murphy. We met a few months back at the football game in Barnacle Bay. I was the manager of the Isla Sharks."

"Was, Mr. Murphy?"

"I am no longer employed for Kirby Kemp, and I'm free to negotiate a contract."

"Interesting. Well, I still need a manager, and I see what a fantastic job you've done with the Sharks. They were a nothing team, and you've made them top-notch. Let's talk, Mr. Murphy."

"Sounds good," Andy said. "Where and when?"

"Well, since you're unemployed, why don't I come to you? I'm guessing you have a cash flow problem, so I'll take some of that burden from you. How is tomorrow?"

"I'm free, but I have to be available this weekend. I need to see my kids."

"You're not with your beautiful young wife anymore? She looked like a peach." Faust sounded amused.

"No, we are having some problems. I need to support my babies though, so I'm looking for new work. Thanks for seeing me on such short notice."

"I look forward to our meeting, Mr. Murphy."

"Thanks, likewise, Mr. Faust." Andy hung up the phone. Despite the sleazy feeling he got from Faust, he was willing to negotiate. He needed something, and he needed it soon.

*****

Three months later...

Andy was settling into his new position in Barnacle Bay, the manager of the Dolphins. But the work environment was nothing like what he was accustomed to, his initial feeling about his new boss was correct. The huge paycheck was nice, and the mansion on the hill extravagant, but his life, his heart, were empty.

Alonzo Faust was a shrewd, crafty man, but stingy with his time and attention to the team and what they needed. In a way, it wasn't much different than working for Fiona McDonald back in Starlight Shores. Faust wanted the best players, but he wasn't willing to shell out money to lure them in. Andy's salary was docked for every failed negotiation. It was stressful, and his regret was infinite.

His attorney in Barnacle Bay gave him terrible advice for the divorce, telling him to go uncontested. He would agree to all Danae's demands, and surrender the house and custody of his children to her, with visitation twice a year. Over two-thirds of his monthly salary went to her for the children and spousal support so she wouldn't have to give up her dream. He loved her from afar but resigned himself to a life without her, and he still had no clue why or how it happened. He would need to return to Isla Paradiso in two months for the final hearing. Once that was complete, they were officially divorced. He was dreading what was sure to be his last trip back home.

Danae picked up the pieces of her shattered life, taking solace in the unconditional love of her three children. Her nights were lonely, and some nights it felt she might die without Andy, her best friend. She spent many nights crying and she had to stop herself from calling him. Danae had never intended their split to be this permanent, only wanting to make him regret his life's choices, and come running back to her. She truly never expected him to leave the county, and it shocked her that he would. She regretted that she had been hasty, that she had never listened to him when he said he couldn't remember. But their relationship had long been destroyed at her hands. She had the power to forgive him, to reconcile, but instead, she chose loneliness.

While the children were in school, and Emmitt napped, Danae painted. Her work was dark and depressing. Death and loss were common themes. But no one wanted to see her new paintings, no one ordered lithographs. Her depression, the loneliness consumed her.

Approximately a month before the kids were to come for the summer, and two weeks before the divorce hearing, the Starlight Shores Llamas played at Barnacle Bay for one of the last games of the season. It was clear the Dolphins were not in playoff contention when the Isla Paradiso Sharks were so well organized, so strong, all Andy's doing. And like he did every time the team played at home, he attended the game and sat by himself in a half-empty stadium.

After a blistering, humiliating loss to the Llamas, Devin Jones was in the parking lot celebrating with his latest girlfriend when he spotted Andy walking to his old beat-up hooptie. Devin strode up to him, his chest puffed out and got in Andy's face.

"How's your marriage, you sorry failure?"

"You know how it is, Devin. Fuck off." Andy wasn't in the mood.

"You're welcome. You know," he taunted, "I'm surprised you fell for that. She looked nothing like Danae, but you followed her home like a cat in heat. I suppose when she slipped you that drug, you were putty in her hands, though." He held his hand out for Andy to see. "Oh, I forgot to show you my new ring. My sister picked it out for me." On his right middle finger sat Andy's wedding ring. The significance of the finger upon which it sat was not lost on Andy.

He was instantly furious. "That is MY ring! You did this? You?!" Andy lunged toward him quickly, purposefully. "You ruined my life! My marriage! My kids..." He reached for Devin to punch him, to beat the ever-loving snot out of him, but Andy restrained himself. "You know what, you piece of human debris? You aren't worth the jail time. Go to hell."

Andy walked away from him, not caring if Devin ran after him, attacked him or hurt him. But Devin ran up behind Andy and grabbed his shoulder. "So, I finally did it, huh? I ruined big bad Andy Murphy. My mission is complete. You know, Andy, I liked you at one point but you kept trying to get me fired. Kept getting me in trouble with Lionel after my father retired. And when you finally succeeded in ruining my life, it became my life's mission to ruin yours. You are lucky that Danae is my sister, or you would have been a widower a long time ago."

Andy stood, looking at his brother-in-law in stunned disbelief. "Maybe you didn't hear me the first time, Jones. Go. To. Hell." Andy walked to his old jalopy, opened the door and got in. Devin chased him one more time.

"Murphy!" he yelled. "One last thing. Here's your ring. A painful reminder of everything I stole from you." He threw Andy's ring into the window of the car, hitting him in the face with it. "Enjoy the rest of your miserable life, you coward."

The only thing Andy was going to do, without fail, was call Danae when he got home. She had to know the truth.

*****

Danae was helping Elyse with her homework when her cell phone rang. Andy. "Sweet pea, I'll be right back." She answered the phone on her way into the bedroom and closed the door behind her.

"Hello?"

"My goodness, Danae, it's so good to hear your voice." Andy choked up, almost not able to speak.

"Andy." She smiled, happy. "I'm not going to lie. I miss you."

He smiled for the first time in three months. "I miss you more than you know." He was about to tell her what he had learned when she interrupted him.

"Do you want to talk to Lysie? She misses you terribly."

"Not this time. Look, Danae, I have some information for you. Maybe you'll believe me, and maybe you won't. But I need to tell you this." He choked on his emotions as he spoke.

"I'm listening."

"The Llamas were here for the game today. Devin caught me outside, bragging about how we broke up, and he took full credit for it. Danae, he had my wedding ring on his finger. H-he gave it back to me, he said, as a reminder of how much..." he felt himself losing control of his emotions, and a sob gagged him. "A reminder of how much he ripped from me."

Danae was speechless. "You're saying he set you up." She nearly dropped the phone. "Andy, is this true?"

"See, I don't know if he is playing games with my head or not. But how would he have gotten my wedding ring, Nae? It has the engraving you put there. The scuff from when I closed my hand in the car door and almost broke my finger. It is my ring. How would he have gotten it if it wasn't true?"

"Andy, I want to believe you, I really do. But I will ask Devin when I talk to him next and see what he says."

"Wait, what do you mean 'talk to him'? Danae, please tell me you don't have a relationship with him. He told me everything. Please, honey, please believe me."

"Devin apologized for everything about two weeks after you left the island. He's been trying to make a relationship with the kids. He was really sincere."

"Danae, does that sound even a little bit like Devin? Why did he come around after I left? Think! This all fits together so perfectly. Come on, Nae. Open your eyes!" Andy was desperate.

"Devin will tell me the truth. I miss you, Andy, but I still don't trust you. Speaking of which, how is your love life? Have you met anyone new?"

"I don't see where that's any of your business, but no..." He choked on another sob. "I'm not looking for someone else. I already told you―"

"Yeah, I know." She wanted to take a dig at him, something she did often when they spoke. "I don't remember if I told you I'm seeing someone."

"No, you didn't." What happened to forever and always, Danae? "I hope it works out for you." Inside, he was dying.

"Well, it's not serious yet. He only asked me out a couple of times for a drink and a little fun."

"Are you sleeping with him?" He had to know.

"I have needs, Andy. But it's not your concern if I am," she spat.

"Do I know him?" You're still my wife, he thought. It's absolutely my concern.

"Yes, you do."

"Who is he? Please, Danae. I need to know."

"I'm seeing Aaron." She dropped the news like a kiloton nuclear bomb. She was so nonchalant about it, but she devastated him.

"I have to go, Nae. Don't send the kids. I-I can't..."

"Andy, wait..."

But he hung up the phone.

*****

Danae called Aaron in a panic. "Aaron!"

"What's wrong, Nae? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, but I just went way too far with Andy, trying to hurt him." He heard the urgency in her voice.

"What did you tell him, Nae?"

"I told him you and I were dating, and implied we've been sleeping together." She bit her tongue. It was not okay, what she had done, and she knew it.

"Danae!" he spat. "What has gotten into you? Why would you tell him that? Why would you hurt him like this, and for no good reason?! I'll call him." He didn't give her the opportunity to explain, Aaron was pissed.

He hung up the phone and dialed Andy's number. "Pick up, pick up," he said into the receiver. And as though Andy could hear him, he answered the phone.

"You're killing me, Aaron," Andy's sad voice said. "Why did you betray me like this?"

"I'm still single, and believe me, I haven't slept with her. Danae was screwing with you, but she called me and said she took it too far. She's so lonely, Andy. She misses you desperately. If it's any comfort, I'm pissed she stuck me in the middle of her mess."

"Why would she lie to me like this? I almost didn't answer the phone, figuring you were calling to rub it in. Aaron, I'm at the end of my rope. My job sucks. My life is... I'm on the edge of giving up. And then Devin had my wedding ring on his finger. He confessed to setting me up. And when I called her, and she tells me he apologized, and she believes him over me."

"Wait, he what now?" Aaron was shocked. "Back it up to where you said Devin confessed. What did he tell you?"

"He told me that he has made it his life's mission to ruin my life, to get revenge for me firing him. Well, mission accomplished. He sure knew to hit where it hurts the most. I was drugged and put into that compromising position, Aaron. It was all part of a bigger plan. Has Devin really been hanging around her, or is this another lie?"

"I haven't seen him, but that means nothing. I don't see Danae much at all. But if he is coming around, I'm doubly angry with her. She can't do this to you. She loves you."

"Yeah well, she has a funny way of showing it, Aaron. I can't deal with my life anymore. The pain is too much."

"Please don't let her get the best of you, Andy. Think of your kids. They need their father."

"No," he sighed, "they don't. They'll attach themselves to whoever comes along and treats her well. It will be like I never existed, except that Elyse looks just like me. Daddy who? Oh, yeah, the one who left us."