All Comments on 'Hell or High Water'

by Bh76

Sort by:
  • 34 Comments
oldsage_1oldsage_19 months ago

Great story! Communication is such a delicate art! Why do most couples always assume the worst? I always figured if I couldn't trust her I wouldn't have married her. Worked for 47 years.

I realize your story is fiction but your writing is so real and the subject happens so often. I guess you can see from my comments that you were successful in pulling me into the story.

Well done indeed!

Cheers

SAGE

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy9 months ago

Cole and Ruby were made for one another!

5

francemanfranceman9 months ago

Sorry but I didn't quite understand, it seems: they've been secretly in love with each other for many years and even end up cohabiting together, and all the while, she was bringing her many occasional lovers to his house?

It's all very strange.

There's a big difference between knowing and hearing about her sex life.

goodshoes2goodshoes29 months ago

So she will be more careful the next time so her husband doesn't find out she is going to cheat..

inka2222inka22229 months ago

4 stars. I only went that high out of respect for the author overall. She's so comfortable lying to him, EVEN AFTER SHE SAW what happened to their friends. That's super duper selfish, the surprise isn't for his benefit, it's for hers. And the fact that she feels OK to lie is a BIG problem.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

So he loves his best friend and doesn't want to spoil their friendship. I can understand that.

She moves in with him after a break-up. Okay.

But two people listening to the love of their lives being fucked in the room next door, that's really hard for me to understand.

A normal guy couldn't stand it.

It would have made more sense to forbid them from bringing anyone home.

AngelRiderAngelRider9 months ago

I agree with franceman

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

I thought she was braless in the red dress. But, when in the bedroom she took one off

FireFox59FireFox599 months ago

Enjoyed the story. Not really sure about Ruby's lack of communication with Cole. What else was Cole to think when he caught her in the blatant lie? Cole needs to sit her down and make it clear to her that lying or lying by omission isn't going to be in anyway acceptable going forward. Lying has consequences going forward.

TechumsahTechumsah9 months ago

A little marital fighting keeps things interesting. Great story.

SequoiaSempervirensSequoiaSempervirens9 months ago

Great romantic story! 5*

Davester37Davester379 months ago

5* for a great story. I enjoyed getting to know these characters and I loved the happy ending. I did think Ruby’s lying was disturbing, though. I was surprised when the bra suddenly appeared under the red dress, but that was an easy recovery. I had to read the end a couple times, however, to settle my addled brain, since the last two paragraphs switched to third-person point of view. On balance, it was a fun and satisfying story, so thank you for writing and thank you for sharing your work.

Bronco56Bronco569 months ago

Another great story. My only complaint is that "Dan" is a boring name. Lol

5stars

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

I hate surprises, women need to figure out if their man likes surprises or not before doing stuff behind their man's back, it just might bite them in the butt. Those that are OCD about details in life are not that way because they necessarily want to be, but it happens to be how they are put together. When a spouse does this it puts up red flags of trust when someone is hiding something and then suspicion arises regarding activity that can get way out of hand. Regardless of the intent, it can become quite contentious to the point of quarrelsome and confrontational. If your partner is known to not deal well with this approach, it simply is best to forget the surprise method as it simply isn't worth the fallout. Particularly if lying is involved.

skruff101skruff1019 months ago

When they first hooked up, how could she take her bra off when she wasn’t wearing one? Just askin.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Why did you jump from first person to third at the end?

RanDog025RanDog0259 months ago

Great story, thanks! 5 BIG ASS FUCKING HUGE FLAMING NOVA STARS!

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc9 months ago

The first half of the story was pretty vanilla for you, but the back half got a little more interesting. I always enjoy your stories because of your ability to intertwine plot lines in a meaningful way. Ruby's lying at the end felt forced for the sake of the story, trying to fit a puzzle whether it fit properly or not. I can't see her allowing the situation to escalate like it did. Otherwise, great work. 4.6*

SplitGeode66SplitGeode669 months ago

Really two stories . The first led up to their marriage, the second psst marriage. The first part was excellent, the second part not as good. Why did she do the secret planning, and then LIE about her secret? That made no sense after witnessing the effect of scheming and lying on the other couple! 5 stars for the first part

rbloch66rbloch669 months ago

I enjoyed this story. I hate surprises, and the ones in this story would have freaked me out, no matter how well intended.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill699 months ago

He still needs to keep eyes open.

OvercriticalOvercritical9 months ago

Sort of a cliché two-part story. Started with the old chestnut of two friends who are secretly madly in love, but never consummate their love until the last page, but this one continued on with the other cliché where one of the couple is doing something special for the other and doesn't want to let the cat out of the bag. Two stories in one and not badly done. Sort of BOGO of stories. Novel enough to overrate it at 5*

lAnatomistelAnatomiste9 months ago

Would have been a much better story if it had _ended_ with Cole and Ruby getting married.

The follow-on segments a) really distracted from the main plot, and b) pulled it into the LW category

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

be still his bleeding heart ????? pretty sure that's supposed to be beating heart... hence the stillness. Also, not at all clear why one guy, clearly not interested in her, too much of a slut vibe, would look at him as if he was crazy for wanting the very same girl for himself. None of that 'she's too much of a slut, why don't you want her' made much logical sense. Or, being perfectly happy to settle down with the town bicycle as long as she's a bit drunk. just... no... bad idea... even worse long term plan.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

he's way too trusting of this story... after all, she was a total skank before he ended up with her, after a bunch of perhaps wiser people figured out she was not the kind of girl worth pursuing. This is what happens when you try to clean up a cum dumpster and pretend she's a crystal vase. Even if she was 'lying ot hide the truth' (which is bullshit, no matter how you look at it, true, or false), he'll never get over knowing his wife used to be the default for free fuck for any guy willing to buy her a few drinks. This isn't a love story, it's an opportunity missed on his part, to have a good life with a woman he could trust, instead of with a ton of baggage and mileage, and her and all her female friends apparently like lying to their husbands and thinking of clever excuses for it.

enderlocke77enderlocke779 months ago

Lol yeah it beating, its also might as well not mine as well. Those sayings are getting screwed

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

A well written story about an insecure man and a beautiful woman.

The only weakness in the story is that she tried to pull off the surprise after seeing what had happened with her friend Bianca.

To appreciate the story it helps when one as had similar experiences.

P.S. people can totally change.

The Hoary Cleric

Bh76Bh769 months agoAuthor

Yeah, I know it’s beating not bleeding, but I meant it that way as an homage to one of my favorite musicians who did a song called “Still my bleeding heart.”

I always liked that play on the original phrase. A little too far inside for sure.

WilCox49WilCox499 months ago

In a lot of ways, a very nice story. The impending romance was a little too obvious from early on. Ruby's change of heart was a little too sudden and a little too thoroughgoing to be really believable; there would normally be some amount of backsliding. Still, very well done on the whole.

.

But why the sudden drop into third person in the last two paragraphs?

WetheNorthWetheNorth9 months ago

Keeping secrets from your spouse should be grounds for divorce

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

As far as fiction goes, good story with a teaching moment as a conclusion.

Realistically though, its far fetched.

If you can get past Ruby's loose ways with men, to focus on the fact she humbled herself to change overnight so she can be the best and Ideal woman for the man she loves, ...

Well, I call capital bullshit.

In fact, all the cliche romantic gestures in Hollywood or Bollywood movies are probably more believable than Ruby changing overnight and molded to be the perfect woman for her husband...

I have to admit though,

Its a nice fantasy.

One that every man or woman would like.

It makes me think though ...

Would something like this happen in real life ...

eliocecheteliocechet7 months ago

Sweet story and I also fell in love with Ruby. Five stars and more.

Elio Cechet from Milan

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBh76@Bh76
2/9/24: Out of the Shadows is finally ready and dropping soon. My long-awaited sequel to Heart is Where the Home Is and Living In the Shadows picks up where Living left off and continues the saga of Mel, Joe, Lainey, Ken, and the rest of the gang. My patreon supporters have al...

SIMILAR Stories